Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Buddy System

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
May 25, 2012
Now that we can put a few crew members to sleep to at least get those that we really don't like out of the lineup, I was thinking about other ways to manage the crew and considered a "buddy system". The idea is that you could group two crew members together, effectively making them a team:

You'd get only a certain number of buddy options, based on your character level, same as being able to put crew members to sleep.
You can't make your first mate a buddy.
You can't make a sleeping character a buddy.
Buddies would share a single probability percentage.
Buddies would be inseperable in the sense that should you only get two companions for a fight, you would not have the option to get any buddied companions.

The idea being simply to ensure that should you get one companion, that you always get the other, for whatever reason, practical or esthetic. A prime example for me would be my musketeer. I have Louis le Bisque as my first mate and a number of other musketeers high up on my companion list. So when I get someone like Milo Graytail with flanking, he has no one to flank with sometimes. Thus, I make Milo and Ratbeard buddies, and I get a fun rat pirate grouping and the ensured ability to use all of Milo's abilities.

I'm curious to see what other people think about this idea, so I welcome the comments!

Canny Matthew Tolliver, level 50
Able Caleb Tolliver, level 42

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
I think this is a great idea!

I have lost quite a few fights to the luck of the draw and getting too many squishy companions in my team during a random fight.

It would be nice to be able to group companions into different teams and then pick the team I wanted to use during random encounters.

I think that would take the confusion out of middle tier play when you have one or two pages of companions available.

Community Leader
Sounds like it would be neat, I can see where this would be useful.
But it seems like something we'd be wanting to change every other battle, what if you dont want them linked together for any specific instance or battle?

I prefer playing over constantly reconfiguring companions, the only battles that I think are significant enough to warrant a need for this are the epic battles, where we could choose the ones we want anyhow.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
May 21, 2011
Sounds like an interesting idea but you usually don't know how many enemies you are going to be facing in any given battle and thus don't know how many companions the game is going to give you. So it seems like it would be a little "risky" to buddy companions you really like because you might actually be guaranteeing that you won't get either one in a battle.