Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

No more "fixes" please

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
I am really appreciating all hard work you are putting in this game. And product of all your hard work can be measure by passionate pirate101 players here on message boards.

With this new update for Ranked PvP everything just seemed perfect in theory, but in reality is far from that.

You promised how are you going to help witchdoctors, but after this update, we are even more vulnerable in PvP.

Even with Swashes overusage of hidden I managed to develop a strategy that SOMETIMES would give me the advantage to actually win a fight. Now that advantage is gone.

I was depending only on TWO (terror cotta and barricade) powers to give me a fighting chance from the start. And giving the number of our powers, getting one of those two were hard, but still not that bad. Now, after your "fix" am relying only on barricade and getting that one in first two rounds is nearly impossible. I have two and a half pages of powers and everything on first pages is really needed, so discarding is not an option.

Lets take swash for example, with Tower of Moo gear they can have up to six or more hidden power in its deck. Getting hidden in first round is close to sure thing.

Do to my lack of defense I can't use gear from Tower of Moo, but some low level accessory that gives me Valors Armor and Valors Fortress (Also one of the important powers that I can't discard if showed up in first round, but not helpful in that same round).

Old Scratch - So helping Witchdoctors you boost companion that every class has? I don't see the logic at all here. Privateers got boost on Emmett. Spell power is useful to every class, not just Witchdoctor.

You still didn't solve the the usage of Purge Magic under hide. I am not saying that it should remove hide, but using Purge Magic under hide it should have its consequences, otherwise it is a tool that grants a sure win, again to swashes.

I was finally able to use current meta to survive in the arena, but you changed it for worse, and again for Witchdoctors.

Not to mention that we got broken Old Scratch and Raven's Cry.

Can I just mention one more time that boxes in the middle, blocks range for us and helps a lot melee units! Especially since most of them has jump. By the time they are in range I am already dead.

With buffed Will I managed to summon 1-3 Terror Cottas, but I saw swash summoning 5 Terror Cottas without any Will buff. That is another thing, why everything has to be ruled by RNG? Isn't the point to remove those factors in the arena, if not then minimize them. I was perfectly fine with the length of battle with the summons.

But hey, if we can't farm like everyone else for gear that we don't have why not just mass complain about it and we discard its usage in the arena. This is bad example on what your "fixes" based at. Did you know that people in Tower of Moo leave the group after Nef 5? They are not even trying. And you are just enabling this type of behavior, thus damaging those hard working that are actually trying.

Duncan

Lieutenant
Nov 28, 2014
I agree that Witchdoctors weren't buffed up much this update but you have to realize that you can't expect to be so reliant on one robe. If they make this robe powerful again those same swashbucklers will come back with moo minions as well because it is a universal thing, not witch doctor only. And then you have to think about the witchdoctors who don't have the moo robe? or how is it fair to ANYONE who doesn't have the robe to be fighting other people who have it just because a few witchdoctors in the arena are supposed to use it. The point is its like old scratch, not just witchdoctors benefit, everyone can benefit from it which means you'll be on the same level unless you are lucky enough to get someone without the moo robe only to have an unfair advantage over them. If you want some kind of update, make it witchdoctor specific.

Mason

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Duncan StormThief on Sep 20, 2015 wrote:
I am really appreciating all hard work you are putting in this game. And product of all your hard work can be measure by passionate pirate101 players here on message boards.

With this new update for Ranked PvP everything just seemed perfect in theory, but in reality is far from that.

You promised how are you going to help witchdoctors, but after this update, we are even more vulnerable in PvP.

Even with Swashes overusage of hidden I managed to develop a strategy that SOMETIMES would give me the advantage to actually win a fight. Now that advantage is gone.

I was depending only on TWO (terror cotta and barricade) powers to give me a fighting chance from the start. And giving the number of our powers, getting one of those two were hard, but still not that bad. Now, after your "fix" am relying only on barricade and getting that one in first two rounds is nearly impossible. I have two and a half pages of powers and everything on first pages is really needed, so discarding is not an option.

Lets take swash for example, with Tower of Moo gear they can have up to six or more hidden power in its deck. Getting hidden in first round is close to sure thing.

Do to my lack of defense I can't use gear from Tower of Moo, but some low level accessory that gives me Valors Armor and Valors Fortress (Also one of the important powers that I can't discard if showed up in first round, but not helpful in that same round).

Old Scratch - So helping Witchdoctors you boost companion that every class has? I don't see the logic at all here. Privateers got boost on Emmett. Spell power is useful to every class, not just Witchdoctor.

You still didn't solve the the usage of Purge Magic under hide. I am not saying that it should remove hide, but using Purge Magic under hide it should have its consequences, otherwise it is a tool that grants a sure win, again to swashes.

I was finally able to use current meta to survive in the arena, but you changed it for worse, and again for Witchdoctors.

Not to mention that we got broken Old Scratch and Raven's Cry.

Can I just mention one more time that boxes in the middle, blocks range for us and helps a lot melee units! Especially since most of them has jump. By the time they are in range I am already dead.

With buffed Will I managed to summon 1-3 Terror Cottas, but I saw swash summoning 5 Terror Cottas without any Will buff. That is another thing, why everything has to be ruled by RNG? Isn't the point to remove those factors in the arena, if not then minimize them. I was perfectly fine with the length of battle with the summons.

But hey, if we can't farm like everyone else for gear that we don't have why not just mass complain about it and we discard its usage in the arena. This is bad example on what your "fixes" based at. Did you know that people in Tower of Moo leave the group after Nef 5? They are not even trying. And you are just enabling this type of behavior, thus damaging those hard working that are actually trying.

Duncan
I remind you that swashbucklers only have one black fog, the extras are Walk in Darkness and are personal hides. You can still attack a hidden buckler with Mojo Storm or the Jobus that you have ( and I know from the Tower you can get extras of those.)
Jump is broken, SBs can't jump a barricade.
Purge is a two-edged sword, by purging the SB is also removing their shields/buffs; so there are consequences to it's use.
Obviously, the SB who summoned 5 cotta had a great will stat.
Old Scratch isn't broken ( though the power is bugged atm. ) He's hitting harder and his spell power is boosting your spells, so you're doing more damage, too.

Lieutenant
Aug 29, 2008
Witchdoctors have probably been the weakest class from as far as I can remember. It just so happened that we had an OP piece of gear in the Moo Robe to give us a fighting chance.

Now, I actually do agree with Ratbeard and KI here that the Moo Robes needed a nerf. The key to playing Witchdoctor shouldn't be this robe that everyone can get. I would like it if KI actually worked on a meaningful buff to the class rather than buff back the Warriors to their season 1 state. How can they do this? Is hard to say until we start to bring to light the main weaknesses that are causing Witches to do so horribly in PvP now.

1. We are as squishy as any other ranged class, except with no way to keep back charging units (Muskets have bombs).

2. Our spells are naturally almost all AoE, so our damage output is significantly lower than almost everyone as not many people will line up for your 4-man Mojo Storms.

3. Our natural minion summons are so weak that I usually have them all on my lower 2nd page or third page of power. Why use natural minions when you had Moo Robe and Scorpion Staff?

4. Even our single ranged target attack, Mournsong, is extremely weak. A Musket trick shot, which is AoE, usually does more damage than Mournsong even with the overtime.

And other different points that I am probably forgetting. Witches need a sort of defensive + offensive attack to help them survive and pose a threat. As it is now, I am never afraid to charge a Witchdoctor with my melee units because I know as long as I don't stand next to them (Reaver), they won't do much damage to me.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Alex Hawkins on Sep 21, 2015 wrote:
Witchdoctors have probably been the weakest class from as far as I can remember. It just so happened that we had an OP piece of gear in the Moo Robe to give us a fighting chance.

Now, I actually do agree with Ratbeard and KI here that the Moo Robes needed a nerf. The key to playing Witchdoctor shouldn't be this robe that everyone can get. I would like it if KI actually worked on a meaningful buff to the class rather than buff back the Warriors to their season 1 state. How can they do this? Is hard to say until we start to bring to light the main weaknesses that are causing Witches to do so horribly in PvP now.

1. We are as squishy as any other ranged class, except with no way to keep back charging units (Muskets have bombs).

2. Our spells are naturally almost all AoE, so our damage output is significantly lower than almost everyone as not many people will line up for your 4-man Mojo Storms.

3. Our natural minion summons are so weak that I usually have them all on my lower 2nd page or third page of power. Why use natural minions when you had Moo Robe and Scorpion Staff?

4. Even our single ranged target attack, Mournsong, is extremely weak. A Musket trick shot, which is AoE, usually does more damage than Mournsong even with the overtime.

And other different points that I am probably forgetting. Witches need a sort of defensive + offensive attack to help them survive and pose a threat. As it is now, I am never afraid to charge a Witchdoctor with my melee units because I know as long as I don't stand next to them (Reaver), they won't do much damage to me.
Good points, if I may add a couple ideas...

1) I think all WD's, both pirates and companions, should have extra (or be able to learn) Spirit Sight talents for more range.

2) Same as above but for Retribution, with this people will think twice before poking a WD. Even a rank 1 Retribution can begin a chain.

In case you dont know about Retribution, it's an epic that grants an attack whenever one gets hit, whether it is physical, magical, ranged or melee. I just discovered today Crab Hermit has it... also I've seen it on enemies in Regatta (Old Scratch clones)

This epic might sound OP, and I dont know how trigger rate works, but 100% would certainly be too much.
Maybe something like rank 1 = 25%, rank 2 = 33% and rank 3 = 50%.. or so.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Why didn't they just give the buff to Mormo? He's a witch doctor only companion.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
Why didn't they just give the buff to Mormo? He's a witch doctor only companion.
This is a good point Emmett got his extra powers and he's Privateer only. Mormo makes more sense and he also has a crown shop "twin".

Lieutenant
Oct 21, 2012
anecorbie on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
This is a good point Emmett got his extra powers and he's Privateer only. Mormo makes more sense and he also has a crown shop "twin".
No no anecorbie, no. "Maelstrom" and its similar powers are a "strategical" thing, it doesn't belong to witch-doctors. If Mormo where to get a new power it would be widow's touch which is more of a "curse" instead of a strategical "Stall" effect. And frankly Emmet's new line of powers are almost useless in ranked with all the boxes. And yu realize exeter has them too right? So no Maelstrom is not privateer only. Mormo already has MOJO ECHO, MOJO STORM, MOJO BLADE, VULTURES GIFT, MUTINEERS GRASP! Emmet is useless in 1v1 he deals no damage at all he never hits and he's too weak against musketeers and swashbucklers. Mojo storm? why doesn't emmet get big guns? Mojo blade? give emmet a revive instead of a group heal! vultures gift, Valor's shield plz? Frankly i think Emmet's current powers are useless in 1v1 the only thing ever handy is his damage debuff really. Mormo is fine. If we are getting to companions needing improvements a complete redo of all Emmet's powers should be the subject.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 30, 2009
Quite Jacques on Sep 22, 2015 wrote:
No no anecorbie, no. "Maelstrom" and its similar powers are a "strategical" thing, it doesn't belong to witch-doctors. If Mormo where to get a new power it would be widow's touch which is more of a "curse" instead of a strategical "Stall" effect. And frankly Emmet's new line of powers are almost useless in ranked with all the boxes. And yu realize exeter has them too right? So no Maelstrom is not privateer only. Mormo already has MOJO ECHO, MOJO STORM, MOJO BLADE, VULTURES GIFT, MUTINEERS GRASP! Emmet is useless in 1v1 he deals no damage at all he never hits and he's too weak against musketeers and swashbucklers. Mojo storm? why doesn't emmet get big guns? Mojo blade? give emmet a revive instead of a group heal! vultures gift, Valor's shield plz? Frankly i think Emmet's current powers are useless in 1v1 the only thing ever handy is his damage debuff really. Mormo is fine. If we are getting to companions needing improvements a complete redo of all Emmet's powers should be the subject.
I agree with Jacques. Annecorbie is wrong...again. Actually widow's touch would be a cool addition to mormo. I would be intrigued to see that.

Lieutenant
Nov 21, 2010
Frankly i think Emmet's current powers are useless in 1v1 the only thing ever handy is his damage debuff really

I have yet to try him, but in all honesty, I think that will+damage reduction is what makes this companion so special. Not only that he reduces the damage of an opponent by half, but he also lower opponents will, leaving the opponent open to critical attack from Will based companion. Of course landing a critical is not sure thing, but it will definitely raise the chance.

Like I said, I still have to try him and see for myself how good/bad he is. But for now, from what I have seen, he is pretty good to have around.

Sincerely,
Stubborn Duncan Freeman