Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Ship Combat Difficulties

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 26, 2011
I've been meaning to bring this up for a while. I'll just say it. Ship combat is impossible from half way through cool ranch and on. Normally i sink the foes ship instead of going to player combat. But as i was doing the quests to get into port regal skyway i had to do a quest to defeat 10 Monquistan ships. Even if it wasn't difficult as it was, it's still a bit much for a main quest. Why? because all of the ships stats are way better then mine. I have a bison frigate that was actually pretty useful in cool ranch (ironically) But these Monquistan ships and pretty much the other ships i had to fight are way better then my ship. Even in regular combat i still struggle a bit most of the time. All i'm wondering is why the made cool ranch/port regal quests so hard.

Allan Ashburn Lvl 28

Commodore
Apr 28, 2012
What I did was to get a Bison Galleon in Tubmbleweed (you can go thru Big Sky Skyway to get there - just ignore the warnings). That should get you all the way to MooShu before you need to upgrade your ship again.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
The game does get harder the farther you progress. You should be constantly looking to upgrade your ships and ship equipment. Keep your nautical level as high as possible, also -- you don't say what your level is compared to the enemies you're having trouble with, but it's always better to be higher nautical that enemy ships.

There are ship equipment vendors everywhere, and lots of good ship equipment in the Bazaar. Even if you cannot afford to buy a whole new ship, get the best equipment you can.

One last thought - if you have to board and finish the battle, try to be the one who boards rather than getting boarded. If you do the boarding, even at low ship health, your team will be full strength and you'll get to go first against the already-wounded enemies.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I saved my gold and bought my ship in Port Regal, it took awhile, but was worth it. The ship was very useful in Tumbleweed and Haunted skyways.

Ensign
Dec 17, 2012
I just got to haunted skyway and i have billy the kid. About what willy said about the game getting harder as you go on, it sort of does. Think about it, was Valencia really as easy as skull island? But cool ranch was about 10 times harder then the other worlds. Though the game is getting easier, as i had no trouble with tumbleweed and so far in haunted skyway either. Thx for all the advice :D it really helped.

Allan Ashburn Level 35

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
NicoThePenguin on Jul 29, 2014 wrote:
I just got to haunted skyway and i have billy the kid. About what willy said about the game getting harder as you go on, it sort of does. Think about it, was Valencia really as easy as skull island? But cool ranch was about 10 times harder then the other worlds. Though the game is getting easier, as i had no trouble with tumbleweed and so far in haunted skyway either. Thx for all the advice :D it really helped.

Allan Ashburn Level 35
I agree Allan, I had far more trouble with land combat in Cool Ranch, then I did in Aquila. Aquila to me, was by far one of the easiest worlds as far as boss and enemy fighting goes- minus the Hydra of course. But that could just be due to the fact that by the time I got there, I had truly learned how to play the game- learning strategy and who and what to use in battle will almost always make for easier game play. Most of us early on, were just so engrossed in the game and story telling that we didn't necessarily develop proper strategies in those earlier worlds. As our pirates grew, so did we the players and we learned how to play the game.

But the game will not become easier in the Nautical aspect, unless you tend to your Nautical XP and ship equipment. I think that is what Willow was eluding too. A looooot of players pay close attention to their pirates as they progress, but somewhat neglect to upgrade themselves Nautically. I think this happens mostly because many players know they can join in Nautical farming with friends and level up there Naut. XP and levels in bunches and swiftly. But the game can become so much more difficult as you progress in regards to ship combat. Just take care of your ship(s) and they'll take care of you! And use those spare companions to bring in some Nautical XP from the Sailin' Task. For optimum results use Musketeers trained in rank x 3 of Cannoneer. A maxed musketeer trained in Cannoneer x 3 will bring back 1246 Nautical XP from Sailin'.

< But in general, yeah Cool Ranch was, in my opinion, a bit tougher than later worlds >

Good luck to you in the Skyways!