What is a Privateer?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
233
Sorry again for the extremely long and possible repetitive post , but I hope this little insight may be useful to many Privateers or Privateers-to-be

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
704
Although I have not played much as a privateer, based on my experience I have given my privateer a lot of defense. Witch mean privateer may got the lowest health of any class based on my experience it got the highest defense of any class in my opinion.Meaning as a privateer,it's more likely armor instead of will I have boosted. It's defense over offense when comes to dueling. I'm surprised how strong this class is with some Buccaneer skills like strength boosts and charge attacks.In other words in spite of its low health, privateers last a long time in battles due to it's very high defense both physical and magical, based on my experience.

" A good defense,overcomes a bad offense. " Sneaky Isabel Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Gruesome Richard on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
Just read through this entire thread, and safe to say, a lot of nice questions and nice answers

Here is an idea to test out coming from a poorly experienced Privateer ( Well, I think I am poorly experienced )

Sorry if some of this stuff has already been explained in another thread , but assuming that those whom are leaning towards making a Privateer will check this thread out first, I'll say it anyways:

When it says Privateers will receive the most companions, it means overall, not including crown companions and such. While Privateers possessing a good combination of Strength and Will is very smart, I began a different strategy of mine. My Privateer has begun using a Slashy/Staffy combo, considering that his Will is very high. With this, you can take the advantage of Melee strikes ( ie: Assassin Strike, Back Stab, etc. ) while also, if you acquire such a gear, using a Great Juju power to increase your Will. P101 Wiki can help you locate such gear ( - cough - Marazume Castle!!! - cough - ) Another reason why I use Slashy/Staffy instead of a Slashy/Smashy combo is because of 2 very unique powers that Privateers have. One being Fighting Fervor and another being Tower of Iron Will ( Both conveniently linked to a basic description of them ) What some people don't know is that the strength of their buff relies heavily on the damage bonus you receive from your will.

ie: A Privateer has Will of 90, so his Will would add 18 damage to any weapon that uses will. If you were to use Fighting Fervor, it would increase everyone's damage ( that is controlled by your weapon damage, not powers such as Ghostwail or the bombs used by Muskets or Poison ) by 18. With Tower of Iron Will, it would increase everyone's Armor and Resistance by 18 :)

Now, with the increase from a Great Juju, The base will of This Privateer is 55, so it would bring his Will up to 145, therefore increasing his Will bonus by 11, totaling 29. The rest is easy to follow :)
Hi Richard, I am not one to be a disagreeable type but I am gonna have to totally put an: *Ummm I don't think so* to one of your points. You started this wonderful post by calling yourself a "Poorly Experienced Privateer". This post is full of wonderful tips that are not only informative but highly detailed with links and descriptions of where to go to get the great gear any privateer would drool over. Plus you very clearly explain how those buffs work and how a good privateer can make themselves great.
This is a detailed, factual and well written entry that clearly shows the author absolutely knows what they are doing and demonstrates a solid grasp of the mechanics of how the game works. A Poorly Experienced Privateer I don't think so
You know your stuff and are one Very Intelligent & Highly Experienced Privateer that I would call it a privilege to have on any of my teams.

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
233
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
Hi Richard, I am not one to be a disagreeable type but I am gonna have to totally put an: *Ummm I don't think so* to one of your points. You started this wonderful post by calling yourself a "Poorly Experienced Privateer". This post is full of wonderful tips that are not only informative but highly detailed with links and descriptions of where to go to get the great gear any privateer would drool over. Plus you very clearly explain how those buffs work and how a good privateer can make themselves great.
This is a detailed, factual and well written entry that clearly shows the author absolutely knows what they are doing and demonstrates a solid grasp of the mechanics of how the game works. A Poorly Experienced Privateer I don't think so
You know your stuff and are one Very Intelligent & Highly Experienced Privateer that I would call it a privilege to have on any of my teams.
Aww, you're too kind I still don't think my Privy is the best it can be yet, and there's much to learn about, but you're definitely good at one thing: Inspiration :')

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
233
Monkrinx2024 on Feb 6, 2014 wrote:
Although I have not played much as a privateer, based on my experience I have given my privateer a lot of defense. Witch mean privateer may got the lowest health of any class based on my experience it got the highest defense of any class in my opinion.Meaning as a privateer,it's more likely armor instead of will I have boosted. It's defense over offense when comes to dueling. I'm surprised how strong this class is with some Buccaneer skills like strength boosts and charge attacks.In other words in spite of its low health, privateers last a long time in battles due to it's very high defense both physical and magical, based on my experience.

" A good defense,overcomes a bad offense. " Sneaky Isabel Morgan
Actually, from what I experience, Privateers have the most health of all the classes, considering a ton of their gear gets centered around health, like no auction jewelry or no auction clothing for example. My own Privateer has only seen one other pirate above his health whom was also a Privateer. My Privateer currently has 3382 health I believe? It also depends on your background story. I blindly chose Grizzleheim during my newbie days in o' 12, but I honestly see the best option as Krokotopia for that Spooky bonus

Lieutenant
Dec 02, 2009
110
I have played all the classes and had my privateer up to level 23 . I got stuck in the scorpion cave and could not fight my way out . I solo always you cannot solo a privateer it has to have a back up or you will die . I had the same trouble with the electric class on a similar game ( yes that game) found the same way to resolve my problem I deleted both. my electric class was level 55 at the time . At least I got a free spot made a new witch doctor . Ya

Gunner's Mate
Sep 28, 2009
233
demonic47 on Mar 2, 2014 wrote:
I have played all the classes and had my privateer up to level 23 . I got stuck in the scorpion cave and could not fight my way out . I solo always you cannot solo a privateer it has to have a back up or you will die . I had the same trouble with the electric class on a similar game ( yes that game) found the same way to resolve my problem I deleted both. my electric class was level 55 at the time . At least I got a free spot made a new witch doctor . Ya
Privy's can solo, it depends on your gear and weapon. Obviously, if the fight is solo, don't put your buffs up first, put your strikes and what not on top. I know my Privateer can receive 3 assassin strikes and 1 back stab from his gear so it's easy to solo. Don't always assume things if you have not tried all the options :)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
demonic47 on Mar 2, 2014 wrote:
I have played all the classes and had my privateer up to level 23 . I got stuck in the scorpion cave and could not fight my way out . I solo always you cannot solo a privateer it has to have a back up or you will die . I had the same trouble with the electric class on a similar game ( yes that game) found the same way to resolve my problem I deleted both. my electric class was level 55 at the time . At least I got a free spot made a new witch doctor . Ya
I soloed my privateer all the time too. She was my easiest class. Maybe you are not utilizing your privateer right. With a privateer, their crew is their strength. When you make your crew stronger, they in turn protect you and take out the enemy for you. Once you get to the higher bosses you can get some powerful hits so that you can also do some serious damage in between buffing and protecting your crew. You crew is your weapon at your level and take care of them and you will sail through the game.

Ensign
Jul 23, 2011
8
I wanted to say that if done right privateer is a serious soloing class. My privateer just finish Mooshu and finally in Marlyebone. I been soloing allot of bosses and they weren't that hard once you have the right hybrid skills powers.
What I mean is that I have witchdoctor,musketeer and a couple of buccaneer powers also. I have a few of those buffs and they extreme help. Also I think El Toro is a privateer's best first mate. I love the dodge boost. In many fights my crew is almost untouchable cause they dodge almost 90 percent of the regular enemy hits.

It is up to the player, if you know what your doing during battle then its easy to play this class and solo.

I get people calling me allot to help them and heal them.

I

Petty Officer
Dec 20, 2012
78
I honestly Love the privateer class, one reason is we get the most companions out of all the classes, unless someone buys a lot of companions, another reason is i like we can do awesome buffs like the critical buffs disipline! Those buffs are very good when doing pvp or pve! though i wish they had not nerfed privateers.

loyal reed andrews lvl 65 of couse

Ensign
Jun 21, 2013
15
Having a max I believe they are the Captains of Pirate101 using Buffs to make their team INVINCIBLE! Also as The Wise Commodore said, recruiting the most companions, because we aren't fighters so our weapons focus on armor to keep us intact and repel boarders to scare any enemy away! Haha, without privateers in a battle (My Opinion) Most battles could possibly be lost.
- Merciless Zachary Mainstay 65

Ensign
Jun 21, 2013
15
qwerty78202 on Jun 6, 2014 wrote:
I honestly Love the privateer class, one reason is we get the most companions out of all the classes, unless someone buys a lot of companions, another reason is i like we can do awesome buffs like the critical buffs disipline! Those buffs are very good when doing pvp or pve! though i wish they had not nerfed privateers.

loyal reed andrews lvl 65 of couse
I totally agree with you on that, they totally nubbed our buffs, it'd be thing if they were made a bit better, but just ultimately "nerfed" as you said lol

- Not about what level you are, just how you act to the lower levels. 65 , ,

Ensign
Feb 09, 2013
4
A privateer is born a leader. They are very helpful in a team match. I love privateers because they are very helpful. Now here are the stats of a privateer.

Most health

Most companions

Best buffs

An op class compared t other

Petty Officer
Jul 06, 2010
52
Hey all, quick question:

I have a Privateer alt, and she found a set of pistols that have very good stats. Ordinarily, I know Privateers use Slashy/Smashy weapons, but since they usually buff and heal instead of participating in straight fights, I tend to think their damage output is less important. In short, should I use the new Shooty weapon, or keep going with the normal gear?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
sjosten on Aug 28, 2014 wrote:
Hey all, quick question:

I have a Privateer alt, and she found a set of pistols that have very good stats. Ordinarily, I know Privateers use Slashy/Smashy weapons, but since they usually buff and heal instead of participating in straight fights, I tend to think their damage output is less important. In short, should I use the new Shooty weapon, or keep going with the normal gear?
Try equipping the new weapon and looking at your stats (Letter "C") and then compare then to when you have your normal weapon equipped. Then decide if the difference is worth it. Just bear in mind that many of your card hits that require a melee weapon will be greyed out and you will not be able to use them while having the guns (a ranged weapon) equipped. Although if you have any gear with shooty weapon cards, you will be able to use those then.

Ensign
Feb 13, 2013
11
Privateers are probably the best class in the game i did mooshu and marlybone with a witchdoctor then after I got stuck on troy (I know I suck) I decided to do the game as a privateer because I heard they were great and I breezed through the game.

Ensign
Aug 28, 2014
5
I have a Privateer that is about to receive her Royal Navy Skiff (the one from Puerto Mico I think)
I named her Alexis Alcott. I do love this class! I'm going to get that ship soon. It's getting annoying sailing around in a puny little SI Frigate. (Yes, I bought the frigate.) I'll post again when I get it.
Until then, I hope to see you In the Skyway!
-Alexis Alcott , Black Pearl , Molly Moone

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
704
I may not played as a privateer that much, how ever privateer class in my opinon are both hoodoo and physical power. My own is rasied in Korkotopia, more healing power for her. Meaning this class is very verstile in powers meaning privateer can also use hoodoo spells, can charge, use traps, use sneak attacks etc. In other words privateers can also boost strength, in addition to will.

This class make a good support group in group battles. Known for their leadership,courage and keen sight in battle, it's nicknamed the scout class in my opinon.

Ensign
Jun 09, 2012
21
Privateers excel at inspiring there crews, just like it said in the tutorial. Privateers, in my opinion, have the most health, heals, and buffs. Privateers are like leaders, and also officers.

Bosun
Dec 06, 2012
359
Lieutenant
Sep 14, 2015
162
The Helpful Pirate on Oct 31, 2012 wrote:
sparkstorm150: Homeworld for Privateer should be Grizzleheim with Treason as the reason you are in the Brig.
MooShu - Born Warrior - Buccaneer
Skull Island - Born Sneak - Swashbuckler
Grizzleheim - Born Tough - Privateer
Krokotopia - Born Spooky - Witchdoctor
Marleybone - Born Keen Eyes - Musketeer

are the ways I understand the worlds and the Class of Pirate work best.
Ahoy there, Helpful Pirate!

I agree with witchdoctor originating in Krokotopia and the musketeer being raised in the city of Marleybone. However, I don't think a privateer mainly has an advantage of toughness.
To start off, I'll admit that when you say "Mooshu" a buccaneer isn't the first class that comes to mind. As you look deeper into the depths of Mooshu you find that your enemies do a lot more damage and risk there health power. buccaneers, however, do the exact opposite: they increase in health to sacrifice for others with less health so they can advance and do more damage. Sure, there are many buccaneers in the realm of Mooshu, but there are a lot more swashbucklers who demonstrate the idea of a "born warrior".
As for the "born sneak" specialty, I completely understand why you would think a swashbuckler would excel in this category. However, swashbucklers would normally sacrifice their health for more weapon power. They might excel in dodge roughness but powers like "sneak attack" and "walk in shadows" show that swashbucklers attack quickly provoking a lot of damage, but not really preventing damage from taking them. So, all in all, this is how I think the worlds of being raised in should be displayed:
Mooshu - Born Warrior - Swashbuckler
Skull Island - Born Sneak - Privateer
Grizzelheim - Born Tough - Buccaneer
Krokotopia - Naturally Spooky - Witchdoctor
Marleybone - Keen Eyes - Musketeer

Wicked Aaron Brewster Level 43 Privateer

Ensign
Jun 26, 2016
1
Ensign
Jul 12, 2014
20
is one of my favorite classes because they are like the medics of the game plus they are the defenders of the game with there shields

But sadly I kinda like the witchdocter more better then but still privateer was my first ever class when I began pirate101 and will always be for me

Ensign
Nov 14, 2015
4
Trogbok on Oct 29, 2012 wrote:
This is simple to explain. Our Heals and long range attacks do use WILL. the higher it is the more you heal or the more damage you do with the long range attacks we have. But we only have limited uses of them each battle.

Lower levels we can heal only once, without better gear that gives you more heals. After you have used your heal now you must fight using your weapon. This is where strength comes in. You need strength to damage your foes.

We must balance our will and strength. if we only put on Will gear we can only heal, support and attack at long range. Up close we would only hit for low amounts of damage.

If we only put on Strength gear then we could deal damage but only heal for low amounts.
Hmm. This actually helps a lot. Thanks!

Ensign
Jul 17, 2014
45
The Commodore on Mar 1, 2012 wrote:
Privateers are born leaders, commanders who can rally their troops to victory through the most desperate of battles. Privateers can recruit more Companions than any other class, and their powers focus on boosting their Companions' capabilities and healing them in the thick of the fight.

If you are a Privateer, look for ways to boost your WILL
Master do you remember me (you probably don't XD) Should I heal when they are in the yellow stage or red. Also should I Big Guns straight away, or later? Thanks!