Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Questions for your veterans

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Apr 27, 2012
1. I can NEVER beat anyone in ship combat. I always have to go to the boarding screen where I do win. What am I doing wrong. I click my mouse whenever I see the red redicle,but I still never can destroy the other ship. I am using the initial raft with some starter level equipment.

2. How do we get rewards for mini games I never have got any. Do the scores stack? Thus, If I ge 3,000 in one game and the same in game two, do I get the equivalent of 6,000.

3. What rewards are given in mini games.

4. I am trying to do Zeeks question and find Puerto Mico. I don't see it on the tradelane map anyway. Any specific directions would be nice.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
Hi, welcome to the game. The starter raft and starter equipment are the problem. Upgrades are needed to avoid being boarded. There is another way though. You need to make some friends. If a bunch of little rafts are all attacking the same ship, you can do better, but need to be careful. The raft that the enemy attacks is still vulnerable to boarding. It needs to run when it started taking damage, but not too far and fast. If it leaves the fight area, beyond having a red or yellow arrow pointing to the enemy, the fight will end and the enemy will not take damage and will heal to full, restarting the fight effectively. Also, let whoever has the toughest ship lead in, if any of you have extra shields. Don't make the same person lead in if they are damaged, take turns, heal after fights. Fleets are effective, very, if your strategy is good.
Puerto Mico is found by taking the yellow sky lane to the left of Blood Shoals. If the blockade won't let you past yet, it means there are more quests that must be completed to get there. It is in the Tradewinds Skyway and can be reached from both the Skull Island Skyway and the Flotsom Skyway. It also is not in the free to play area.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Hi Sandy, I also welcome you to the message boards family. You definitely came to the right place for your answers.
Another thing you can do is to find ships that you can sink, look for the ones with the lowest level number when you click on them. Their level is the number in a circle by their name. Do this or use the group fighting that Calamity recommended and you will gradually get drops or prizes from the ships you sink that you can use to equip your raft or ship that you can buy with all the gold you are going to earn from all these fights. After you sink the ship you will see a new pile of debris floating where the ship used to be. You need to touch that pile of plunder to get your gold and goodies if that fight awards a ship equipment prize. Everyone who participated in the fight will get the same thing so it doesn't matter who touches it first. Just don't forget to do it for it will disappear after a while.
Have fun and if you still have problems, please let me know where and when you would like to meet and I will help you learn the ropes of the fantastic fun of broadside ship sinking. It is one of my favorite things to do in the skyways.

The mini games are not one of my strengths. I have never gotten past level 4 in any of them so I am not the veteran on that topic. I have won gold and a few other items though. There may be lists on Pirate101 Central that list what game drops what for specific levels gained. If you haven't registered over there I highly recommend it. There is lots of good info over there too and you can post screenshots you take of the game there. This is one of my favorite things to do too and it is very handy to post a screenshot to illustrate a question you have and you can then put a link to it when you come over here to get the scoop on anything Pirate 101 related from us veterans.

Captain
May 13, 2011
sandy20850 on Feb 20, 2014 wrote:
1. I can NEVER beat anyone in ship combat. I always have to go to the boarding screen where I do win. What am I doing wrong. I click my mouse whenever I see the red redicle,but I still never can destroy the other ship. I am using the initial raft with some starter level equipment.

2. How do we get rewards for mini games I never have got any. Do the scores stack? Thus, If I ge 3,000 in one game and the same in game two, do I get the equivalent of 6,000.

4. I am trying to do Zeeks question and find Puerto Mico. I don't see it on the tradelane map anyway. Any specific directions would be nice.
are you a member? if you are, you can get a free skiff by doing the main quest line. you wont get a free ship after that i a while though so make sure to buy a galleon when you can. use the best equipment you can have. a raft wont last long in the skyways. always remember to buy a better ship

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009

Welcome to the message boards as well as the game. You've found the right spot to get help.

First, regarding ship battles. You don't have to wait for a red reticle, you may start attacking the enemy ship as soon as the reticle turns orange. At this same time your ship's powers (seen in the lower left hand corner of the screen) will no longer be grayed out. Besides activating these powers by clicking with your mouse, you can also use each power by pressing the corresponding number keys on your keyboard. 1 for figurehead power, 2 for horn power, 3 for healing, and 4 for sail's boost.

Second, try to keep some distance between you and the enemy ship. The closer the other ship is to you, the easier it is for it to catch you and board you when your health falls into the yellow. If you find your health in the yellow, with the crossed swords above your ship, you can use a blue potion (bottom right corner near the health metre) to instantly heal your ship to full health.

Thirdly, as Calamity said, ship battles are always easier to fight when in groups. There are a group of your fellow message board posters having a party in game this Friday in the evening at 6:00 Eastern Time Zone. We will be meeting at the life fountain in Avery's Court in Vadima Realm.
(If you don't know, you can change realms in the options tab at the top of the game screen, it's the tab that looks like a clockwork gear).

Lieutenant
Sep 17, 2011
Welcome to the message boards and the game! I hope you're enjoying your experience so far. Let's see if we can get your questions answered.

1. The ship is the problem. If you've beaten the Presidio, then you can talk to the Frogfather and get a skiff for free, though you will have to buy some parts to complete the power set. I'm supposing you're a member, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Another thing is to keep at long range, or when you have an orange circle. One more tip is to do ship battles in groups. They always go by faster that way.
Before I forget, you might need to buy an even better ship when you get into the Tradewinds Skyway.

2. The scores don't stack. You simply have to get a very high score in one mini-game. My brother usually plays Pirate's Pub until level 7, and he gets all four rewards. Some mini-games will need a bit more effort put into them to get prizes.

3. Rewards include gold, mojo potion refill, gear (outfits, boots, and hats), and ship equipment.

4. If you enter in through the Skull Island skyway, you should see Scrimshaw to your right. Go a bit farther and there's a large landmass that has some white structures on it. That should be Puerto Mico.

Hope this helped!

First Mate
May 01, 2012
Calamity Finch on Feb 20, 2014 wrote:
Hi, welcome to the game. The starter raft and starter equipment are the problem. Upgrades are needed to avoid being boarded. There is another way though. You need to make some friends. If a bunch of little rafts are all attacking the same ship, you can do better, but need to be careful. The raft that the enemy attacks is still vulnerable to boarding. It needs to run when it started taking damage, but not too far and fast. If it leaves the fight area, beyond having a red or yellow arrow pointing to the enemy, the fight will end and the enemy will not take damage and will heal to full, restarting the fight effectively. Also, let whoever has the toughest ship lead in, if any of you have extra shields. Don't make the same person lead in if they are damaged, take turns, heal after fights. Fleets are effective, very, if your strategy is good.
Puerto Mico is found by taking the yellow sky lane to the left of Blood Shoals. If the blockade won't let you past yet, it means there are more quests that must be completed to get there. It is in the Tradewinds Skyway and can be reached from both the Skull Island Skyway and the Flotsom Skyway. It also is not in the free to play area.
One modification that I would make to your strategy is to heal during battles - you don't have to wait for the end of the battle to heal your ship. I use the button method mentioned by CdeWinter.

CdeWinter: he may not be a high enough level to have the Blue Yum-Yum Potion bottle in the lower left corner of the screen. I agree that,. if you do have it, you can fully heal your Ship Health, Your Health, and your Companion's Health with it.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Hi sandy20850 and welcome to the boards.

I have a little bit of info about questions 2 and 3.

You will have to experiment a little bit with what level or score you have to actually reach in each respective mini game, in order to figure out which levels you receive a new type of reward. I have only been able to receive 4 types of rewards for most of the games, but I can't remember passing which level grants you the next tier (and it may be by score anyways). In the P101 players guide it says that there are 12 tiers of rewards but I don't know if that means you can get 12 prizes (seems unlikely) or if there are 4 types of prizes, with 3 different levels in those respective prize categories. It also says that you can get weapons as a reward but I have never been lucky or good enough to receive one.

(Note- I think you can only receive rewards, regardless of tier, 10 times in 1 day- I think a 24 hour period, but I'm not positive about that. Meaning rewards given in any combination of the mini games on 10 occasions. So with my examples you can receive 40 rewards in those 10 times).

In all of my mini game experiences, the 4 rewards that I have obtained for all the mini games go as follows:

1) Gold 2) Max Yum 3) Pirate Gear 4)Ship Gear

In my experiences the Pirate Gear has always been Hat, Outfit or Boots and for ship gear I have received Sails, Wheels, Horns, Armor, Rudders and Figureheads. The level of the gear is based on your pirate's level so don't expect to be a level 10 and get level 60+ gear (and vice versa), no matter how well you do on the games. And like the guide says the higher your level the more gold you will get as a reward. Just the other day my, son (who's pirate was a 58 at the time) received Herculean Armor for his Eagle Galleon by playing Windjammer- so the rewards can definitely be worth it.

Here's a link showing on example of what rewards my level 65 pirate received while playing 5 rounds of Rogue's Range.

Hope this helps answer some of your mini game questions.

*** NOTE TO RATBEARD OR DEVELPER ***
  • Can someone provide insight on just what the 12 tiers actually means- can you actually receive 12 rewards or are there 3 tiers for each reward category?
  • Is it true that you can win weapons with the mini games?
  • Are the gear and item rewards distributed randomly and equally to all of the mini games or can you expect to only find a certain category of pirate or ship gear at each individual game.
Thanks for any help with this!

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I think the tiers of rewards in the mini games means how good the items you get as a reward are and I think it is based on your score in the mini game. I don't think 12 prizes in one game is possible, 4 seems the max. Ordinary score might be yum and gold, good score might get you a robe or amulet (something wearable), really good score might get you all that and ship parts. Like Valkoor said, it would be something in the ballpark for your level.