Companion Promotions

AuthorMessage
Developer
Okay, this question gets asked about every 3 posts in the ongoing story thread, and has even started to show up in unrelated posts. Clearly, it's a question the community really cares about, and the places I've answered aren't accessible enough. So, let me make this clear.

If a Companion speaks during quests they weren't acquired in, they will promote. Just about everybody will promote once more before we reach El Dorado. The Kraken Skulls 5, the Presidio 5, El Toro, Old Scratch, Gracie Conrad, Hawkules, you name it.

Even if they don't speak, most Companions will still promote once, though for gold instead of via quest.

Okay?

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
892
Blind Mew on Jun 3, 2013 wrote:
Okay, this question gets asked about every 3 posts in the ongoing story thread, and has even started to show up in unrelated posts. Clearly, it's a question the community really cares about, and the places I've answered aren't accessible enough. So, let me make this clear.

If a Companion speaks during quests they weren't acquired in, they will promote. Just about everybody will promote once more before we reach El Dorado. The Kraken Skulls 5, the Presidio 5, El Toro, Old Scratch, Gracie Conrad, Hawkules, you name it.

Even if they don't speak, most Companions will still promote once, though for gold instead of via quest.

Okay?
Gracie WILL promote?! :D

YES! This means I better speed up and finish Port Regal and Cool Ranch and Mooshu and get to Marleybone so that I can get Gracie as soon as possible. For some reason she really impresses me.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 3, 2013 wrote:
Gracie WILL promote?! :D

YES! This means I better speed up and finish Port Regal and Cool Ranch and Mooshu and get to Marleybone so that I can get Gracie as soon as possible. For some reason she really impresses me.
She will promote before we get to El Dorado, not before the end of Aquila!
Read carefully...

DarthJT

Gunner's Mate
Nov 21, 2010
215
what about monkey king will he promote and another thing give wagyu sanjuro the unblockable moves its a pain

Community Leader
Arceus and Zap on Jun 4, 2013 wrote:
what about monkey king will he promote and another thing give wagyu sanjuro the unblockable moves its a pain
Monkey King does speak during quests that are not specifically about him. That means that, at some point, he will have a promotion quest, based on Blind Mew's statement.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1194
Lieutenant
Oct 11, 2010
112
I am very not happy that El toro did not get a promotion beyond level 50 - How about Gortez, epp epp, fin dorsal and other crown companions they need upgrades too. Why would you allow FREE companion to be more powerful then ones your customers paid 5995-7500 or so crowns for each? i.e gortez/fin they were i think 7.5k each or something. fin needs ven/strike and update that lame +1 critical card to a +3 critical card and something else?Gortez needs some sick power move too come on KI.

at this point there is zero reason to buy any shop companions, what use to be sick at 50 now don't cut it at 60+

bear in mind all my companions are now 60+ gortez, fin etc are all 62+ toro and main used are 65 or more.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
419
masterryan1969 on Jun 6, 2013 wrote:
I am very not happy that El toro did not get a promotion beyond level 50 - How about Gortez, epp epp, fin dorsal and other crown companions they need upgrades too. Why would you allow FREE companion to be more powerful then ones your customers paid 5995-7500 or so crowns for each? i.e gortez/fin they were i think 7.5k each or something. fin needs ven/strike and update that lame +1 critical card to a +3 critical card and something else?Gortez needs some sick power move too come on KI.

at this point there is zero reason to buy any shop companions, what use to be sick at 50 now don't cut it at 60+

bear in mind all my companions are now 60+ gortez, fin etc are all 62+ toro and main used are 65 or more.
Well, it's not force that made you buy those companions. The companions that we got for free are the ones who have a role in our character's quest to El Dorado. The ones we buy have no part in our character's quest. We just bought them because they can fight or that they looked cool. If we're not given the Companion in the game for free during a side quest, then that means that certain companion has no role for our class (EX: Swashbuckler getting Iago).

Even the Companions we get from side quests for free have no promotion quest. It's as if we saved them from whatever danger and they just follow us now and fight with us. The ones that we have, like El Toro and Bonnie, have a role in the game and KI emphasizes that roll by giving them more detail and background.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1194
"I am very not happy that El toro did not get a promotion beyond level 50 - How about Gortez, epp epp, fin dorsal and other crown companions..."

Oh, I expect many if not all of these will see future promotions. Gortez and Epp Epp seem most unlikely, since you have to put considerable time an effort into even being able to purchase them, which I assume (perhaps incorrectly) means that fewer people have them than most companions. But I expect someday they too will be promoted (Gortez, in particular, is too cool not to promote).

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
892
Darth JT on Jun 3, 2013 wrote:
She will promote before we get to El Dorado, not before the end of Aquila!
Read carefully...

DarthJT
I know, I know.

I just loved Gracie when I saw her... So I'm happy she'll promote in future updates.

Ensign
Mar 10, 2009
1
Blind Mew on Jun 3, 2013 wrote:
Okay, this question gets asked about every 3 posts in the ongoing story thread, and has even started to show up in unrelated posts. Clearly, it's a question the community really cares about, and the places I've answered aren't accessible enough. So, let me make this clear.

If a Companion speaks during quests they weren't acquired in, they will promote. Just about everybody will promote once more before we reach El Dorado. The Kraken Skulls 5, the Presidio 5, El Toro, Old Scratch, Gracie Conrad, Hawkules, you name it.

Even if they don't speak, most Companions will still promote once, though for gold instead of via quest.

Okay?
I am glad to hear this Blind Mew, sadly my problem with this is some of the hard earned crown companions are very underpowered still. Even though they are very expensive in time and in real life money. Most so far haven't promoted once and some of those didn't get any epics choices, just one or two they have. This isn't true for all but some of the more expensive ones seem to be like this.
So I am happy to hear they will finely promote, hopefully with enough bonus's too make all that work and extra cash i spent worth it.

Thanks.

Ensign
May 05, 2011
27
masterryan1969 on Jun 6, 2013 wrote:
I am very not happy that El toro did not get a promotion beyond level 50 - How about Gortez, epp epp, fin dorsal and other crown companions they need upgrades too. Why would you allow FREE companion to be more powerful then ones your customers paid 5995-7500 or so crowns for each? i.e gortez/fin they were i think 7.5k each or something. fin needs ven/strike and update that lame +1 critical card to a +3 critical card and something else?Gortez needs some sick power move too come on KI.

at this point there is zero reason to buy any shop companions, what use to be sick at 50 now don't cut it at 60+

bear in mind all my companions are now 60+ gortez, fin etc are all 62+ toro and main used are 65 or more.
The crowns companions you buy: If they're like the cousins of main charcter companions, then they will promote the same level as the main ones promote. Like say if Sarah Steele promotes again at lvl 70, if you're not a Swash, but you have her "cousin" crown companion, its most likely that she will promote as the same level as her.

But if you just have a crowns companion that isnt main at all, then i'm clueless. xD


Ensign
Jul 02, 2009
27
What's up guys? This particular thread interests me. It is almost as if its saying something to me. And it is. So what it's saying to me is that all the companions that talk more than at least once will be promoted a bunch of times! Or at least once. So that means catbeard will be promoted? If so, than I am a happy little rapscallion for sure! It makes me want to do a happy little jig and gobble down a couple of tasty treats(just like catbeard)!
Plus, I have a tip. Those who wonder about any promotions available to their crew, or want even more companions, can try and check out pirate101 central, especially their forums. There's a huge amount of info on promotions, companion quests, promotion quest guides, and etc. and etc.