wizard101 vs pirate101

1
AuthorMessage
First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
402
at first i was just going to ask, plainly, "which is better?" but we all kind of know that, altogether, wizard101 is better. let's try to imagine that both games have storylines up to level 110 and tons of side content, and then answer that question again.

what i'm trying to get here is which game has a better story and play style.

comparing this stuff:
  • wizards making peace vs. pirates journeying
  • magic vs. physical fighting
  • solo vs. pirate and crew
  • magic circle thing vs. gridded battleboard

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9112
AndrewDeathblade11... on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:
at first i was just going to ask, plainly, "which is better?" but we all kind of know that, altogether, wizard101 is better. let's try to imagine that both games have storylines up to level 110 and tons of side content, and then answer that question again.

what i'm trying to get here is which game has a better story and play style.

comparing this stuff:
  • wizards making peace vs. pirates journeying
  • magic vs. physical fighting
  • solo vs. pirate and crew
  • magic circle thing vs. gridded battleboard
I really hate to take issue with this post, but your first statement is way off! Pirate101 is the better game and I'll prove it by using your comparison list.

1. Wizards making peace, well yes, there you have it completely, a glorified policeman. Pirates explore and start revolts against oppressive regimes ( sometimes bending the rules ), Jedi Knights.

2. I love the aspect of the feeling of real battle, the swish and clang of swords, the boom of cannon, the awesome power of a perfect chain when you use Chain Lighting! Plus in W101 your wizard has to wait for pips to cast a spell, when I can use assassin's strike whenever I want.

3. Solo is lonely, with no one at your back and no voice telling you how well you've done.

4. Magic Circle is static and booooring, Gridded Battleboard is dynamic, promotes strategy, exciting because it fully engages your mind.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9112
Also,
3. You're never outnumbered or facing a boss with more than 3x your health, ridiculous OP cheats & minions with the same health and power as yourself.

4. And magic? Don't make me laugh! When was the last time one of your power card attacks fizzled?

I feel that very soon we'll have that storyline update, with raised levels and new worlds so the comparison can be more fair.

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
619
Agreed with anecorbie.

-your crew is your family; they always have your back and going solo isn't as fun
-the difficulty is MUCH easier when compared to the wizards! When I started Zafaria I found it impossible to do it alone!
-the voices are much less cringe worthy....at times.

It goes on
....
And on.... and on....

-creates list as big as the wait span for book 15-

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
382
I played Wizard a bit... was bored after a week.

Combats are dull, all you do is cast no pip spells until you store enough to cast a big spell, rince, repeat.

RNG is awful, not only characters order is random, but also all your cards.

That alone made me stop playing.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
402
i'm not a hardcore w101 player, i just log on like a few times a month and fight the loremaster. i'm at level 52 and i have like zero gold so i never have anything fun to do. i could try actually questing but i'm not strong enough to kill any enemies solo.

with my first statement, i was just basing that on the frequent updating. i'm pretty sure nobody on these forums thinks that kingsisle works on wizard101 and pirate101 equally.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1670
Comparing the two games is like comparing apples to oranges -- both are fruit, both are sweet and enjoyable, but many people prefer one over the other.

Some of us enjoy both.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1311
Well, if your criteria is which game receives more love from KI, Wizard is about 18.3 times better than Pirate.

By pretty much any other measure, Pirate is the better game.

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9112
How long was it between the end of Khrysalis and the update of Polaris? Wasn't it something like a year, maybe more?
Haven't we got several updates that improved this game, making it more enjoyable & strategic? Free resets for companions ( massive improvements ) and for captains? Clandestine trainers, housing gauntlet, Moo's Tower ( & its awesome gear ) & a Naval Gauntlet ( something wizards will never have ).. Ranked PVP ( yeah, I know, many players weren't thrilled with this BUT KI has to appeal to all. )
You guys make it sound like KI hasn't touched our game in the 2 years and a bit since the end of Aquila.
All that's lacking is the storyline. Which, IMO opinion, is a better story than in W101.

Lieutenant
May 07, 2009
102
Now, I play both games and pirate101 is easily better. And that's because pirate101 doesn't have zafaria. Okay, i'm kidding, kind of. Now, i'm only in Avalon, but I've been playing wizard101 since about 2009.

1. Wizard101 can get really, really boring, really really fast. I usually log off after doing a few quests now (unless i'm near the end of a world) because of how boring it can get.

2. Cheating bosses. Now, once again i'm only in Avalon and I've only seen a few, but my friends tell me they're everywhere. Cheating bosses used to be kind of cool and a slight challenge and now they're so common no body really cares anymore.

3. It is really difficult to solo in this game. The last time i manged to solo most of the way through the world was Dragonspyre and even still I needed help a lot. Oh, and before you say that's because my stats were terrible, I was actually higher leveled then I needed to be and I had gear from the crowns shop, which brings me to my next point...

4.You either need to farm bosses a bunch, craft gear that's takes forever to find materiel for or shell out some cash to get crowns gear. Now, I personally crafted myself gear, but in pirate101 I use some easily dropped gear from the tower. Now, some people do go out of their way and farm for extremely good gear, but I get along fine with the gear I have and I didn't have to waste hours of my time to get it.

I could go on and on, but i'm starting to run out of space. I could talk about the villains, pvp, characters, story, ect...but I think I've made my point. Also, I don't hate wizard101; if I did then I wouldn't be playing it. But it's obvious that Pirate101 is the better game.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
214
It took me a while to warm up to Pirate101. I started with Wiz101 about 3 years ago and have a couple of maxed characters and several other high levels. I played Wiz almost exclusively for those 3 years. I did stop once and tried Pirate101 but at the time a big update had just launched for Wizard so I didn't spend a lot of time developing my Buccaneer... so I abandoned Pirate for a while. Then one day I decided I was going to give Pirate a second chance... and I'm really glad I did! After spending the last 2 months playing nothing but Pirate I've come to realize that the game is superior in nearly every facet of play. Don't get me wrong, I still really appreciate Wizard for what it is which is basically a card game with some elements of movement. Pirate takes this several steps further and adds new dimensions to the combat system along with, IMO, much improved graphics. Plus ship battles!! And the pet/companion training system is great. Being able to set companions on specific tasks is a bonus and the pet training is far less tedious than Wizard.
The only criticism I have is that it might not be long enough. I haven't finished the game yet, and I've purposely avoided spoilers where possible, but I know the max level is 65 and I'm already at 55. If I'm mistaken please don't tell me... I want it to be a surprise!
Gotta go now... just got the Windstone to Marleybone so I have a new skylane to explore!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9112
Dogsrock5656 on Apr 12, 2016 wrote:
Now, I play both games and pirate101 is easily better. And that's because pirate101 doesn't have zafaria. Okay, i'm kidding, kind of. Now, i'm only in Avalon, but I've been playing wizard101 since about 2009.

1. Wizard101 can get really, really boring, really really fast. I usually log off after doing a few quests now (unless i'm near the end of a world) because of how boring it can get.

2. Cheating bosses. Now, once again i'm only in Avalon and I've only seen a few, but my friends tell me they're everywhere. Cheating bosses used to be kind of cool and a slight challenge and now they're so common no body really cares anymore.

3. It is really difficult to solo in this game. The last time i manged to solo most of the way through the world was Dragonspyre and even still I needed help a lot. Oh, and before you say that's because my stats were terrible, I was actually higher leveled then I needed to be and I had gear from the crowns shop, which brings me to my next point...

4.You either need to farm bosses a bunch, craft gear that's takes forever to find materiel for or shell out some cash to get crowns gear. Now, I personally crafted myself gear, but in pirate101 I use some easily dropped gear from the tower. Now, some people do go out of their way and farm for extremely good gear, but I get along fine with the gear I have and I didn't have to waste hours of my time to get it.

I could go on and on, but i'm starting to run out of space. I could talk about the villains, pvp, characters, story, ect...but I think I've made my point. Also, I don't hate wizard101; if I did then I wouldn't be playing it. But it's obvious that Pirate101 is the better game.
Just you wait until you hit Azteca. Now, I can understand that certain bosses ( especially end of chapter bosses ) should have better health and a few cheats, but when side quest bosses are given the same things?
Face it, W101 has become extremely hostile to the solo player.
And don't tell me to use team up - do you know how many times I attempted Xibalba? 5 times, because of chicken hearted players taking one look at the first battle and fleeing!
Fortunately I got a team up, I and another player duo-ed the whole thing, being defeated by Malistaire, healing and porting back, over and over.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1670
anecorbie on Apr 13, 2016 wrote:
Just you wait until you hit Azteca. Now, I can understand that certain bosses ( especially end of chapter bosses ) should have better health and a few cheats, but when side quest bosses are given the same things?
Face it, W101 has become extremely hostile to the solo player.
And don't tell me to use team up - do you know how many times I attempted Xibalba? 5 times, because of chicken hearted players taking one look at the first battle and fleeing!
Fortunately I got a team up, I and another player duo-ed the whole thing, being defeated by Malistaire, healing and porting back, over and over.
Granted this is the Pirate101 website, but there are many fans here who enjoy both games. I don't see any reason to talk either one of them down. They offer different play-styles, strategies, stories and different challenges, but both carry the trademark Kingsisle creativity and fun.

I, too, was bogged down in Wizard101 Azteca (curse you, Ponce de Gibbon!!) until a friend showed up to pull me on through, and again in Khrysalis until another friend decided I needed to be able to enjoy Polaris with her. Polaris is very cool, and now there is the Arcanum, so I'm really glad I did finish. I wouldn't have been able to get through solo, but Wizard101 Central is a great place to find help and advice. And I only have one maxed wizard, so I've got plenty of lower-levels to work on now and then. I really enjoy the early worlds.

In between those times, I am sailin' and piratin' and helping others here in Pirate101. I like being able to switch back and forth depending on what I feel like doing.

Lieutenant
Sep 14, 2015
162
AndrewDeathblade11... on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:
at first i was just going to ask, plainly, "which is better?" but we all kind of know that, altogether, wizard101 is better. let's try to imagine that both games have storylines up to level 110 and tons of side content, and then answer that question again.

what i'm trying to get here is which game has a better story and play style.

comparing this stuff:
  • wizards making peace vs. pirates journeying
  • magic vs. physical fighting
  • solo vs. pirate and crew
  • magic circle thing vs. gridded battleboard
Ok, so about three seconds ago I made the same post on the Wizard101 message boards and when I came here, guess what I saw? Pretty ironic, huh?

Anyway...

1. Pretty self explanatory. Peace making is important, but the pirate's journeying adds a whole new twist to it. And no, P101 journeying isn't just stealing loot from other pirate crews. Starting wars, the armada, ending regimes, the armada, saving peoples' tushys, the armada, and a lot more (oh yeah, and the armada).

2. Once again, Pirate101 incorporates both. You can use both your weapon and the forces of magic. Heals, buffs, poisons, and hoodoo are all used in P101 as well as your weapon.

3. Solo is really boring; you have nobody for suggestions or comic relief. Companions make the game a lot more interesting, with more backstory and twists to the storyline.

4. Don't get me started. Too late, I'm already starting. The board game combat lets you use more strategy, and you can use your brain instead of shooting spells back and forth like you do in Wizard.

I do understand why you think W101 is better than P101, but I personally think otherwise.

Wicked Aaron Brewster

Lieutenant
May 07, 2009
102
anecorbie on Apr 13, 2016 wrote:
Just you wait until you hit Azteca. Now, I can understand that certain bosses ( especially end of chapter bosses ) should have better health and a few cheats, but when side quest bosses are given the same things?
Face it, W101 has become extremely hostile to the solo player.
And don't tell me to use team up - do you know how many times I attempted Xibalba? 5 times, because of chicken hearted players taking one look at the first battle and fleeing!
Fortunately I got a team up, I and another player duo-ed the whole thing, being defeated by Malistaire, healing and porting back, over and over.
Yikes, azteca sounds just as bad as my friend said it was. But you're definetly correct about it being hostile to solo players, I needed help through almost all of Zafaria and I have wintertusk gear, I shouldn't need so much help!

Commodore
May 31, 2009
873
AndrewDeathblade11... on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:
at first i was just going to ask, plainly, "which is better?" but we all kind of know that, altogether, wizard101 is better. let's try to imagine that both games have storylines up to level 110 and tons of side content, and then answer that question again.

what i'm trying to get here is which game has a better story and play style.

comparing this stuff:
  • wizards making peace vs. pirates journeying
  • magic vs. physical fighting
  • solo vs. pirate and crew
  • magic circle thing vs. gridded battleboard
I suppose I'll throw in my two cents.

I started playing Wizard101 in 2009 & quickly fell in love with it. It's a charming game; I have many memories of mostly soloing for six years, infrequently playing with a good IRL friend, & having to team up to take on tougher dungeons. I joined the Pirate community in 2014 & some friends here have been able to help me in Wiz (you know who you are, & I thank you). I have strong attachments to Wiz, but Pirate's stolen my heart in the three-ish (I'm not sure when I started;I think it was late 2012, early 2013) years I've been playing.

Anecorbie compared Wizards to "glorified policemen". I somewhat disagree; the Wizard is a student on top of being a kid with a huge destiny -- part of the implied story is their school experience. Yes, we end up saving the Spiral numerous times & restoring peace to troubled lands, but doesn't the Pirate do that also? The Wizard (player) also journeys & grows personally during these adventures. I think the Wizard's quest mirrors the Pirate's. They're both faced with threats that could topple the balance of the Spiral & are the "only one" who can stop that from happening. I think they're very similar in that regard.

I have no huge quarrel with Wizard's battle system besides it becoming ridiculous to solo starting at the end of Celestia. Stats & strategy are hugely important. Frankly I think it's silly to expect that sort of thing from people playing a family game. I prefer Pirate in this instance because of the more dynamic grid battle system & the ability to not be overwhelmed in fights because we have a crew & are not expected to take cheaters & creatures with massive health on solo. The spells become a bit repetitive after some time, but there isn't a lot of variety that could be added in a set sigil battle. Our crew has a lot of character & makes things more interesting.

Overall, I love both games for different reasons, but Pirate is more dear to me. I enjoy the story & interaction more than Wiz.

First Mate
Sep 13, 2010
402
i guess KI just likes wizard101 because its development doesn't require quite as much work as in pirate101. like, for example, morganthe has 7 animations, while hawkules has 26 animations. all wizards hear the exact same dialogue in all storyline quests, while pirates hear lots of combinations of dialogue in all quests. pirate101 also has huge skyway models for their designers to deal with. enemies and allies in wizard101 all reuse the same spells, while enemies in pirate101 have 1-4 normal attacks, 1-3 critical strikes, and some powers. plus promotions.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
AndrewDeathblade11... on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:
at first i was just going to ask, plainly, "which is better?" but we all kind of know that, altogether, wizard101 is better. let's try to imagine that both games have storylines up to level 110 and tons of side content, and then answer that question again.

what i'm trying to get here is which game has a better story and play style.

comparing this stuff:
  • wizards making peace vs. pirates journeying
  • magic vs. physical fighting
  • solo vs. pirate and crew
  • magic circle thing vs. gridded battleboard
Your just asking to get disagreed with saying W101 is better on the P101 boards

Ensign
Aug 22, 2011
9
Hmm... I've been a loyal W101 player for years, but I might have to say that I prefer P101 overall! Of course I love my wizard dearly, but there's something more exciting about P101 for me I think. For one, I sort of lost the thread of the main plot in W101, I guess because I'm on relatively infrequently, but I'm just not as invested in that plot, like I'd always wonder "Why am I here fighting these enemies again??" whileas in P101 I'm FULLY invested in the overarching story! (I think it helps that Boochbeard & Gandry remind me where I am every time I log on.)

Also, I find W101 a little lonely at times! I do almost all my questing solo, because I'm a perfectionist, and I don't like working with other people lol! So in W101 it's literally just me against all the enemies. But having my companions there to fight with me and talk to me and all that makes it a bit more engaging!

Plus, I just LOVE all the worlds in P101! I love the worlds in W101 too, of course, but the visuals and music and all in P101 really sell it for me. I could sail around in the Big Sky windlanes ALL DAY just looking at the landscape and never get bored! <3

Bosun
Mar 04, 2012
308
That's like asking which ice cream you love more I love them both equally and always will I'm in the games for the story not for how it looks or plays but that's just my opinion everyone has their own your always going to get a half of the response you want and the other half you won't want everyone is different

Ensign
Mar 31, 2011
14
Both games are really fun but when it comes down to which is better it is all a matter of opinions some like wizards some like pirates if i had to choose which i enjoy more id have to say wizards i like the idea of summoning monsters to a fight but that being said pirate101 is still one of my favourite mmo's and i can't wait for the coming up update

Ensign
Feb 10, 2009
49
I've played Wizard since, well, since the beginning of it all pretty much. Way back in early 2009. I enjoyed it a lot, and still do a little. The problem is, I play solo. Itook me a year and a half alone to beat Azteca. Of course, I quit playing sometime in that time span because of OP bosses, and things like that. I honestly think Pirate is a much better game. It's way more realistic, has a more intriguing battle, and more than just one kind of fight. You could fight on land, and blast ships out of the sky. Another thing I really love about pirate is the companions. It made this game so much more different than wizard. You have a family with you, who are part of a very interesting and intriguing story. The story in wizard is pretty bland. The pirate story is one of the reasons I continue to play. I want to find out what Kanes end game is! I also want to know how we will defeat the armada in the end. I think overall, pirate is much better than wiz, even with a lack of crafting, and all the other stuff wiz has that pirate doesn't. Just my personal opinion, but I think if you put them both into close comparison between gameplay, and story, pirate will come out on top.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
160
I'm one of those people who greatly enjoy both for their own reasons.

I like w101 a lot because the spells can be pretty cool. There are still some strategy to it when it comes to higher levels that you have to be careful when you cast spells. The story is interesting and there are a lot of other things you can do, like gardening, crafting, and fishing. I think it's important to mention that I have been a player of w101 longer than p101.

I like p101 a lot because of the combat and the different types of strategy involved. The story is really great and my companions are amazing. I don't really feel as alone and I enjoy the banter. The graphics are so great, I always enjoy my time sailing and seeing the spiral so close up.

They are two very different games for very different people and some people just so happen to like both.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1114
AndrewDeathblade11... on Apr 11, 2016 wrote:
at first i was just going to ask, plainly, "which is better?" but we all kind of know that, altogether, wizard101 is better. let's try to imagine that both games have storylines up to level 110 and tons of side content, and then answer that question again.

what i'm trying to get here is which game has a better story and play style.

comparing this stuff:
  • wizards making peace vs. pirates journeying
  • magic vs. physical fighting
  • solo vs. pirate and crew
  • magic circle thing vs. gridded battleboard
You say wizard is better without supporting that statement. Can you tell us why wizard is supposedly better?

The whole wizards making peace while pirates journey is a bit feeble. My wizards can't seem to get from point A to point B without smacking the snot out of someone or other. At least I expect a pirate on a voyage to have some conflict.

Pirates get to use magic and brawling. Wizards stand around in circles and throw cards at each other. And wizards can't really solo, not after Avalon. You have to have help for the bosses, simply because of the continual (seriously annoying) cheats. With a bit of judicious planning, Pirate is solo-able as far through the story line as we've gone. Because of the issues with properly scaling the magic, wizards even need to have mounts that grant boosts. That's a huge weakness in the game. It doesn't affect my enjoyment particularly, but it isn't enhancing it either.

Circle thing annoys me. I like the battleboard and the pets that do more than stand there looking bemused while my wizard is getting bombarded with spells. Yeah I'd like to be able to put the pet on a leash sometimes, but overall they are a huge benefit.

That said, I enjoy both games. I have multiple accounts with multiple wizards/pirates. Which is better depends on my mood at the moment.

Ensign
Apr 07, 2011
49
I guess out of the things you listed, the only Pirate101 thing I would vote for would be having the crew then soloing.

1