Wizard Pirates

1
AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
34
Before I even knew of the existence of Pirate101, I was familiar with KingsIsle from their first 101 game: Wizard101. Even after I first heard of Pirate101, I continued to play only Wizard for a long time. Eventually, I moved on to Pirate101, and my wizard went unnoticed for several months. Earlier this week, I rediscovered my wizard. And that got me thinking:

To every pirate posting on these forums: Do you have a wizard?

If you have tried Wizard101, what did you think about it? What level is your highest level wizard? What school? Which game did you play first? Have you ever posted on the Wizard101 forum? I'd like to know!
My main wizard, David Dreamcatcher, is a level 45 Pyromancer in Dragonspyre. What's yours?

If you haven't tried Wizard101 yet, you should, because that game is fun, and fun is good. Both of KingsIsle's 101 games are masterworks. And don't ever think they're the same game with different themes: the gameplay in Wizard is totally different from Pirate. And if after playing through the free to play areas, you don't like Wizard, hey, you gave it a try. That's what's important.

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 40

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9112
Pokopolypse on Nov 11, 2014 wrote:
Before I even knew of the existence of Pirate101, I was familiar with KingsIsle from their first 101 game: Wizard101. Even after I first heard of Pirate101, I continued to play only Wizard for a long time. Eventually, I moved on to Pirate101, and my wizard went unnoticed for several months. Earlier this week, I rediscovered my wizard. And that got me thinking:

To every pirate posting on these forums: Do you have a wizard?

If you have tried Wizard101, what did you think about it? What level is your highest level wizard? What school? Which game did you play first? Have you ever posted on the Wizard101 forum? I'd like to know!
My main wizard, David Dreamcatcher, is a level 45 Pyromancer in Dragonspyre. What's yours?

If you haven't tried Wizard101 yet, you should, because that game is fun, and fun is good. Both of KingsIsle's 101 games are masterworks. And don't ever think they're the same game with different themes: the gameplay in Wizard is totally different from Pirate. And if after playing through the free to play areas, you don't like Wizard, hey, you gave it a try. That's what's important.

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 40
Yes, I have 6 Wizards. Wizard101 is a very fun game that appeals to older players as well as the young. I like that an entire family can sit down and play together.
My highest level wizard recently made 50 th level, Death School. She's still in Dragonspyre and has yet to complete the "Time for Detention" dungeon.
I played wizard first, but P101 has stolen my heart and loyalty, it just too much fun being a pirate!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6204
I have 6 wizards and have been playing since Dragonspyre was the big new world. My highest is a level 100 fire and my life is close behind her. I love both games but I must say that Pirate is my favorite. I suspect these boards and my fellow marauders are the reason. Well being a virtuous pirate really weighs in there too.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
365
i have a lvl 78 fire and a lvl 42 death plus many other lower lvl wizards. I like pirate101 better than wizard becuase in pirate you have companions that go through all your ups and downs with you. In wizard I feel like your all alone. Everyone bosses you around in wizard in my opinion.

First Mate
Mar 30, 2011
483
Yes I have a Wizard, my highest is a Life Wizard of level 57.

Honestly I love the game, KI creates such wonderful games! I am up to Celestia and I'm doing sidequests to get Forest Lord, I love the game but they release so many new things before I can catch up xd, as for Pirate101, it has captivated me longer than any other game! I have to say I favour Pirate101 over Wizard101 right now, but I think a huge factor is that I can catch up with Pirates lol

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
Yes I had a wizard. I played when it first came out. I think it was from the school of balance or something like that. I was unable to continue with it because it was the year I left home to begin my career. Starting out I didn't own anything. It's funny when I look back at it. I ate my cereal sitting on the living room floor because I had no furniture yet. So naturally I didn't have internet either. I had to get dishes that weren't mismatched and stuff to build a home. I got my t.v. and internet last. It's actually amazing how you come to realize how much stuff you really need to live. With all that I never got back into wizards.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
619
Who doesn't have a wizard?
Mine is Emma Darkspear, level 56 Myth.
I started playing W101 in 2010. It's fun, but not as much fun as I had with Pirate101.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1311
I have nine wizards scattered over two accounts. The highest is a level 99 Life Wizard, followed by Balance and Storm who are somewhere in the 70s, I think. It is a good game, although I prefer Pirate's combat system and the companions. Also, so far at least, Pirate is handling the issue of making challenging higher-level fights better than Wizard has done, in my opinion (which I think is largely the difference in the two very different systems of dueling/combat).

-Indigo

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
110
Hey! While I only post on the wizard forums rarely because it seems people are nicer here. I have a max storm and a myth thats stuck in deepwater in avalon because I have no help. My life is in azteca, and my ice, balance, and fire are all somewhere in the first 5 worlds.

The Loyal Swashbuckler
Noble Ryan Thompson

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
730
I have but one wizard in W101, a lvl 100 Necromancer named Morgrim Darkmancer, Harbringer of death & shadows.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1311
The Loyal Swashie: "I have a max storm and a myth thats stuck in deepwater in avalon because I have no help"

Which is another reason I prefer Pirate: Wizards tends to make Boss fights harder by giving them "cheats", which makes many of the fights in the higher-level realms virtually impossible to complete solo. I like teaming up with people sometimes, but I want to be able to play solo too.

-Indigo

Petty Officer
Dec 05, 2009
58
I have 6 wizards scattered throughout the spiral. My main wizard is a level 100 balance. I have played Wizard101 since late 2009! Recently though as much as I enjoyed wizard101 I think i may be done with the game, at least for now. I log on from time to time to check out updates and talk to old friends who don't play Pirate101 but i haven't really played(quested) for months now. I really like wizard101 but I don't enjoy the higher level battles anymore. I feel that i pass to many rounds in a row to build an attack up. maybe they will fix it so we can choose our starting hand at higher levels or something.I digress.

When I first heard about Pirate101 I was skeptical but i still bought access to the beta and i was pretty much hooked from then on. The story has been outstanding from the beginning, it feels more fresh and I like seeing a new side of the spiral, also I really enjoy our quirky companions. Now after the updates this past summer I prefer Pirate101. Its been fun experience seeing the game grow from the beta days till now.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
619
Yep! I still have my account, though I haven't played on it in YEARS lol! My highest level wizard is a Lvl. 54 Fire Wizard! Pirate101 sort of became my favorite, as I thought it was, and IS, much more strategic! Pirate101 has since remained my FAVORITE game!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6204
jack morgan933 on Nov 12, 2014 wrote:
I have but one wizard in W101, a lvl 100 Necromancer named Morgrim Darkmancer, Harbringer of death & shadows.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
Sounds TOTALLY intimidating.

Ensign
May 16, 2011
37
I used to play a full pvp game for several years and pretty much got tired of pvp before I found Wizard101.
I loved Wizard101!
I have 9 wizards over 2 accounts. I have 5 max level wizards, Life, Fire, Storm and 2 Balance. My Ice is level 97 and my Death is lvl 99. The other 2 wizards are under level 20.
Pirate101 Beta was released but I was hesitant to join. However, when it was open, my curiosity got the better of me.
Since then Pirate101 has evolved into being my favoured game. I love the strategy and style of play and my wonderful companions.
I don't quite like the direction that Wizard101 has taken over the last year or so.
However, I do love the humor in both games.

Lieutenant
May 01, 2010
162
I play both Wizard101 and Pirate101, and they're both really fun to play, but in all honesty I feel kind of torn between the two.
I've always been interested and overall fascinated by magic so that kept me with the wizards for a long time. But the pirates have (in my opinion) a much better game-play, in that there's more...freedom of movement; sailing a ship through stormgates to different worlds and different islands within those worlds rather than just walking from world to world through a magic door. The style of combat also plays a big factor. When pirates fight there's a little more unpredictability in the battle, whereas with wizards casting spells can become a little tedious. Plus with pirates, a solo player never really feels alone. When wizards fight solo, unless you have spells that can summon minions, you're basically outnumbered and left to your own devices; which can run out and leave you at the mercy of your opponents. Pirates are almost always guaranteed backup by their companions and aren't restricted by spells or mana. Sure with both games you have pets, henchmen, and other players to offer aid, but don't we all prefer free units guaranteed to help you in every battle? I mean we all know about those wizard pets that cast healing spells when you don't need them and don't cast them when you do. And, of course, pirates can earn a lot more gold more easily.
So I love the game-play style of Pirate101 but I also really love the theme and graphics of Wizard101. I've tried to find a mid-ground playing as a pirate witchdoctor but it doesn't have the same mystical feel of the wizards. I think I've made it clear why I'm torn between them. I'm really hoping that a crossover could occur in the future. They've already introduced the wizards to Boochbeard and Gandry, I hope the pirates can visit the wizards sometime. Oh well, it's like they say, you can please some some of the time but you can't please all all of the time.

Gunner's Mate
Jul 08, 2013
263
to be honest the talon does have a wizard101 account i have a ( bad ) storm wizard and a death wizard it is a good game i do admit

Lieutenant
Feb 15, 2014
140
i got to dragons within a month, but pirates just swept me away like captain brady with his storm shark problems

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
396
Pokopolypse on Nov 11, 2014 wrote:
Before I even knew of the existence of Pirate101, I was familiar with KingsIsle from their first 101 game: Wizard101. Even after I first heard of Pirate101, I continued to play only Wizard for a long time. Eventually, I moved on to Pirate101, and my wizard went unnoticed for several months. Earlier this week, I rediscovered my wizard. And that got me thinking:

To every pirate posting on these forums: Do you have a wizard?

If you have tried Wizard101, what did you think about it? What level is your highest level wizard? What school? Which game did you play first? Have you ever posted on the Wizard101 forum? I'd like to know!
My main wizard, David Dreamcatcher, is a level 45 Pyromancer in Dragonspyre. What's yours?

If you haven't tried Wizard101 yet, you should, because that game is fun, and fun is good. Both of KingsIsle's 101 games are masterworks. And don't ever think they're the same game with different themes: the gameplay in Wizard is totally different from Pirate. And if after playing through the free to play areas, you don't like Wizard, hey, you gave it a try. That's what's important.

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 40
To every pirate posting on these forums: Yes, yes I do.

you have tried Wizard101, It's an awesome game, but extremely thought provoking (I love pondering stuff, especially with Kingisle games, they make for puzzling puzzles). My highest level wizard is 100, life, and he is also my main wizard.
Viva les Kingisle!

Petty Officer
Dec 21, 2013
67
yes I played wizard101 it was a good game I just moved on to pirate101 because in W101 I always run outta quests to fast and to continue the storyline you gotta reach a certain level and in P101 the story goes on and on until you beat the game then you have to wait for a update and I am in mooshu I &

Ensign
Jul 12, 2013
3
I've played it before, in fact, I played for quite awhile before coming to the pirate world. All my wizards are 70+ and I have 5 of them.

Despite that, I personally found the pirate world more fun because it feels more...free. Wizard feels limited and predictable at times, where pirate is a bit more unpredictable. Sure, it's harder being a pirate than a wizard, but I half-expected it.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 14, 2013
275
Pokopolypse on Nov 11, 2014 wrote:
Before I even knew of the existence of Pirate101, I was familiar with KingsIsle from their first 101 game: Wizard101. Even after I first heard of Pirate101, I continued to play only Wizard for a long time. Eventually, I moved on to Pirate101, and my wizard went unnoticed for several months. Earlier this week, I rediscovered my wizard. And that got me thinking:

To every pirate posting on these forums: Do you have a wizard?

If you have tried Wizard101, what did you think about it? What level is your highest level wizard? What school? Which game did you play first? Have you ever posted on the Wizard101 forum? I'd like to know!
My main wizard, David Dreamcatcher, is a level 45 Pyromancer in Dragonspyre. What's yours?

If you haven't tried Wizard101 yet, you should, because that game is fun, and fun is good. Both of KingsIsle's 101 games are masterworks. And don't ever think they're the same game with different themes: the gameplay in Wizard is totally different from Pirate. And if after playing through the free to play areas, you don't like Wizard, hey, you gave it a try. That's what's important.

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 40
Yes I have a wizard a level 66 ice level15 balance and level 1 life death fire and storm no I have not posted on the fourms I have played wizard 101 first but pirate 101 has been my favorite the reason being a pirate is awesome I love my companions love the battle style better the worlds are amazing and the pirate 101 Marly Bone world is designed better in other words like anicorbie pirate 101 has captured my love and loyalty and thank you KI for makeing these amazing games

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1114
Ten wizards across three accounts, ranging from low teens to not quite max. I have at least one of each wizard type, with second schools varying as I test out new combinations.

Some things I like better about wizard, other things not so much. I believe the Pirate101 team has done a much better job of scaling up the battles without having to resort to ultra-irksome cheats. I don't think I can't ever solo a fight in P101. Wizard is much weaker that way -- either you have a bunch of real player friends that can join you in some of those battles or you're toast. You can't control your hirelings as you can in P101, so even if you spend the crowns they won't play particularly 'smart'.

The unlimited healing casts of W101 pets with Spritely and such are nice (when they decide to trigger), while the pets in P101 can only heal the one time in a battle. On the other hand, the pets in P101 actually join in, and since the fixed the AI aren't nearly as useless and annoying as they once were.

Wizard has a longer, better story arc, but Pirate will (eventually) catch up. I keep reminding myself quite firmly that Wizard is older and they've had more time to add more worlds.

As you say, the play styles are different. I've posted once or twice over there, but just as the play styles are different, I find the community to be different as well. Not better or worse, just less to my taste.

Captain
May 16, 2011
552
Yes, I have a couple wires on my belt. What's that? Oh, Wizards! Yes, I contain some wizards.

Currently, my main wizard is a level 52-54 Grandmaster Pyromancer, and is in Celestia. Unfortunately, I don't have membership to W101 anymore.

I have some other wizards as well, but they're pretty much insignificant.

So yeah. That's it from me.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6204
Thunder Hawk on Nov 29, 2014 wrote:
Yes, I have a couple wires on my belt. What's that? Oh, Wizards! Yes, I contain some wizards.

Currently, my main wizard is a level 52-54 Grandmaster Pyromancer, and is in Celestia. Unfortunately, I don't have membership to W101 anymore.

I have some other wizards as well, but they're pretty much insignificant.

So yeah. That's it from me.
There is no such thing as an insignificant wizard, only a growing one.

1