Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Why Do People Confuse DX and XD?

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I'm posting this thread after once again reading a post(not on these boards but somewhere Pirate 101 related) where once again a person confused DX and XD. Please don't do this if you can help it, DX and XD have completely different meanings and shouldn't be confused with each other:

DX: When you receive any signal(radio, shortwave, TV, etc.) from far away that isn't supposed to be there.

XD: Smiley Face

I'm sorry if me posting this annoys anybody, it just drives me crazy when people confuse DX and XD.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
RRRRZZZZ419 on Sep 29, 2017 wrote:
I'm posting this thread after once again reading a post(not on these boards but somewhere Pirate 101 related) where once again a person confused DX and XD. Please don't do this if you can help it, DX and XD have completely different meanings and shouldn't be confused with each other:

DX: When you receive any signal(radio, shortwave, TV, etc.) from far away that isn't supposed to be there.

I'm sorry if me posting this annoys anybody, it just drives me crazy when people confuse DX and XD.
L.O.L. Don't worry, I say XD a lot and never say DX.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013

Also, people might just say DX when they're sad or something. If you tilt your head to the right, you will see the same crossed eyes as in the XD (the "X" part), but now it's kind of like a sad face.

Have fun,
See you piratin' somewhere in the Spiral!

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Being someone who likes radio it just annoys me when people use the term DX for purposes it isn't intended to be used for. Not saying these people have done anything wrong, they haven't. It just annoys me a little.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009

Not having ever anything to do with radio signals, I had no idea that DX had that designation. You may be expecting a little too much in thinking that there are many others who have your same knowledge base.

Acronyms can be confusing in the same way, which is why they should be avoided in game chat, if you have the time to type out real words.