Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What's With Bishop?

AuthorMessage
Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Something I recently noticed is that Bishop seems to slightly... "Malfunction," I guess I'll call it. He has the twitching movements, the pauses in his speech, and overall creeps me out far more than Rooke or Deacon. I know he's a clockwork and all, but still... Any thoughts on that?

I'm going to ponder this over some tea and cake... Want some? -smiles and winks-

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:
Something I recently noticed is that Bishop seems to slightly... "Malfunction," I guess I'll call it. He has the twitching movements, the pauses in his speech, and overall creeps me out far more than Rooke or Deacon. I know he's a clockwork and all, but still... Any thoughts on that?

I'm going to ponder this over some tea and cake... Want some? -smiles and winks-

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart
What do you expect? Hes a mad scientist, probably madder than Dr. Cockroach, Dr. Frankenstein, and Dr. Jekyll combined. KI probably wanted him to look like he belongs in a lead straight jacket, in an Insane Asylum, that is mobile, and is about to drive off a cliff, with a valley of spikes at the bottom, with him laughing all the way.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Highlander Fox of ... on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart
Why, thank you, Miss Emma. Don't mind if I do... oo, the rosewater-flavored icing on your lemon tea cakes, just lovely.

As Monsieur Atherton correctly points out (with great description!), Bishop's sinister pauses and twitching reflects the madness within. Sort of a character you might expect Peter Lorre to play in an old movie. The question is, though, why is he mad? Surely that was not the intention of Kane? Unless Bishop, as the closest reflection of Kane's intellect inadvertently captures some of Kane's... own insanity? Not a happy thought: an insane super genius who wants to take over the whole Spiral. (Oof, now those little cakes aren't sitting too well on my stomach... oh, the warm spices of gingerbread will help? I think are right, I'll give it a try...)

Bishop certainly is creepy and disturbing (good job KI!), but Deacon was always the most scary for me. He's subtle and cruel, and you know he has it in for you! The fact you were already once his prisoner and would have never escaped without help, of course adds to the disquiet.

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Quentin Atherton on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:
What do you expect? Hes a mad scientist, probably madder than Dr. Cockroach, Dr. Frankenstein, and Dr. Jekyll combined. KI probably wanted him to look like he belongs in a lead straight jacket, in an Insane Asylum, that is mobile, and is about to drive off a cliff, with a valley of spikes at the bottom, with him laughing all the way.
I have to admit, that is a good point. He still creeps me out though.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
He does seem a little anti-social, I've noticed.

Just met him last night when we popped over to the Beach-head to borrow a cup of sugar. He attacked us. Twice! Some people. Er, things, I suppose. In the first fight, my witchdoctor's pink marshadillo took him down; in the second fight, it was the privateer's scarakeet. I was amused.

-Indigo.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Quentin Atherton on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:
Lol you are one twisted cookie. To quote Steel Magnolias "You are too twisted for color TV" I love it lol

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
You never know, as the Armada's lead scientist and inventor Bishop may have been doing some experiments on himself in an attempt to invent new more powerful clockworks or he may even have been trying to improve or upgrade himself. If Bishop has been upgrading himself, perhaps some of the upgrades are malfunctioning.

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
Or he might be our father since he's twitching, a human body might be in that suit. Probably far fetched but I would like it if he was so we would know that some of the Armada aren't bad but are doing the job because they were forced to if they wanted to stay alive. Stayin alive, Stayin alive. It's a song. Probably getting off topic so bye!

Gunner's Mate
Oct 05, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:
Why, thank you, Miss Emma. Don't mind if I do... oo, the rosewater-flavored icing on your lemon tea cakes, just lovely.

As Monsieur Atherton correctly points out (with great description!), Bishop's sinister pauses and twitching reflects the madness within. Sort of a character you might expect Peter Lorre to play in an old movie. The question is, though, why is he mad? Surely that was not the intention of Kane? Unless Bishop, as the closest reflection of Kane's intellect inadvertently captures some of Kane's... own insanity? Not a happy thought: an insane super genius who wants to take over the whole Spiral. (Oof, now those little cakes aren't sitting too well on my stomach... oh, the warm spices of gingerbread will help? I think are right, I'll give it a try...)

Bishop certainly is creepy and disturbing (good job KI!), but Deacon was always the most scary for me. He's subtle and cruel, and you know he has it in for you! The fact you were already once his prisoner and would have never escaped without help, of course adds to the disquiet.

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
True, Deacon is pretty scary, but Bishop adds a whole new level of twisted, crazy, and dangerously insane personalities to make even Madam Vadima wet her pants. Imagine a 10 on an insane asylum craziness scale and then have Bishop destroying it since his madness is that multiplied by 100,000,000,000 -drinks Valencian Yum-

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Indigo Ring on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:

Just met him last night when we popped over to the Beach-head to borrow a cup of sugar. He attacked us. Twice! Some people. Er, things, I suppose. In the first fight, my witchdoctor's pink marshadillo took him down; in the second fight, it was the privateer's scarakeet. I was amused.

-Indigo.
Giggle, -snort-, what were you doing trying to borrow a cup of sugar from the Clockworks, Indigo? They don't eat! On the other hand, they must have been terribly confused when they pull out their weapons, and are met by a smile and a tin cup; "Hi, neighbor. I was making a cake and I ran out of sugar..." And while they are trying to figure this out, you lob the tin cup at them and draw your own weapons... hmm. Good ruse. Can I borrow it sometime?

But I think Mademoiselle deWinter has a very good hypothesis; that Bishop has become increasingly unstable due to upgrades he has been doing on himself. And that would be so very classic in the line of storytelling of science (or magic) gone wrong!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Why thank you, it is a specialty of mine.

Yes, I can't help but ponder that... Did Kane truly intend on Bishop being mad? Or was it just a glitch? These are robots after all. Did something go wrong in Bishop's creation? I wonder that a lot now.

Good thing I just finished the cookie trays. -places tray of a variety of different cookies, ranging form gingerbread to chocolate chip and more-

Bishop personally is the one that freaks me out. When I first heard his voice I just sat there in silence for a few minutes and pondered his madness, and then I started freaking out. Deacon was so much creepier with his original voice. Now I just laugh when I hear his voice. I: However, you have a good point there, mon amie. Why was he so determined to find us?

See ya in the Skyways!
Sneaky Emma Everhart

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Indigo Ring on Jun 14, 2013 wrote:

-Indigo.
LOL Well being taken out by a squishy, super sweet critter and then to add insult to injury is again taken out by a pet that poops all over him, I think I would be a bit twitchy too lol. Oh I truly Wish I had been there to see that. Man the screenprints alone would have made a fortune.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
I haven't fought Bishop in a while, and when I did was a bit too preoccupied with his laboratory, (I wish I had a lab like that on my ship!) but, does Bishop have a winding key on his belt? Or, was I just too mystified by the magic lantern? Which I believe Ratbeard is now using to show highlights of objects he's blown up.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Anne Radcliffe on Jun 15, 2013 wrote:
Giggle, -snort-, what were you doing trying to borrow a cup of sugar from the Clockworks, Indigo? They don't eat! On the other hand, they must have been terribly confused when they pull out their weapons, and are met by a smile and a tin cup; "Hi, neighbor. I was making a cake and I ran out of sugar..." And while they are trying to figure this out, you lob the tin cup at them and draw your own weapons... hmm. Good ruse. Can I borrow it sometime?

But I think Mademoiselle deWinter has a very good hypothesis; that Bishop has become increasingly unstable due to upgrades he has been doing on himself. And that would be so very classic in the line of storytelling of science (or magic) gone wrong!

Virtuous Anne Radcliffe
Salut, et merci Mlle Radcliffe for the compliment and agreeing with my first hypothesis. As a scientifically minded pirate, I do have more than one hypothesis about Bishop. Upgrades may not be the cause of his apparent malfunctions. His twitch and pauses may also be caused by a confliction between his actions and his Armada ideals, namely that as an Armada elite, Bishop has declared all use of magic to be illegal including Hoodoo. Yet, Bishop himself uses Hoodoo. Perhaps it is all a result of science conflicting with magic.

Although, I do prefer my previous hypothesis.

Red Scarlet

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jun 17, 2013 wrote:
LOL Well being taken out by a squishy, super sweet critter and then to add insult to injury is again taken out by a pet that poops all over him, I think I would be a bit twitchy too lol. Oh I truly Wish I had been there to see that. Man the screenprints alone would have made a fortune.
Oh gosh. I wish I was there too!

Gunner's Mate
Apr 01, 2013
Look at his spell casting pose at 1.5% speed. Looks like he's been having too much pills.

Lieutenant
Apr 30, 2011
My guess is that he is plotting something SINISTER *dun dun dun*! I think this because of how much he wants to leave Marleybone and how Human-like he is, maybe he's pretending to be a clockwork. Or maybe he's down right cra- *drinks tea* Sorry, My throat got a little dry... Where was I? Oh yes! I think he may be crazy..

Well, see you in the skyways
Jacob