Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

What do YOU think the most useless power is?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
Well what do you think it is? There's so many but I'd have to say the witchdoctor hand thing isn't that effective.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Duke of Westminste... on Jan 7, 2014 wrote:
Well what do you think it is? There's so many but I'd have to say the witchdoctor hand thing isn't that effective.
I totally agree with you on this one- at least for my pirate it is the weakest spell I have damage wise. That is why it is last on my powers list.

Captain
May 13, 2011
that would be the skill that doubles speed for the whole team. i never use it

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Sneaky George Quar... on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:
that would be the skill that doubles speed for the whole team. i never use it
Why? It's two rounds, so you can use it for one round after you've casted it. Combined with a swashbuckler with assassin's strikes, they could reach their in epic speed. Plus with a nausica, she could use her critical charges which would now be of 12 movement range, and her charge would be 24!
And to the original post, i think the most useless power is Hurl Knife. It does little damage, triggers quick draw and true grit, supposedly slows the enemy but you have to be in 3 squares of them so it wont really matter.
For musketeers it's probably raise barricade. I know it comes usefull against muskets and witches in pvp by blocking their sight, but it's basically useless in pvp, only good for discreet areas where there is only one pathway and you block it off.
Buccaneers don't get much powers, so i can't say.
Privateers' is probably refresh. The amount of healing at max level is around 130, with all the spooky trained. It's nice to have after a gunnery aoe so you just negate whatever damage they'd dealt, but still is useless overall.
Finally, witchdoctor's worst is definitely Vulture's Gift. It gives no extra epics, only 2 squares of movement and is only for 5 rounds. I found it to be a waste of a power.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
DeathWiz101378 on Jan 8, 2014 wrote:
Why? It's two rounds, so you can use it for one round after you've casted it. Combined with a swashbuckler with assassin's strikes, they could reach their in epic speed. Plus with a nausica, she could use her critical charges which would now be of 12 movement range, and her charge would be 24!
And to the original post, i think the most useless power is Hurl Knife. It does little damage, triggers quick draw and true grit, supposedly slows the enemy but you have to be in 3 squares of them so it wont really matter.
For musketeers it's probably raise barricade. I know it comes usefull against muskets and witches in pvp by blocking their sight, but it's basically useless in pvp, only good for discreet areas where there is only one pathway and you block it off.
Privateers' is probably refresh. The amount of healing at max level is around 130, with all the spooky trained. It's nice to have after a gunnery aoe so you just negate whatever damage they'd dealt, but still is useless overall.
Finally, witchdoctor's worst is definitely Vulture's Gift. It gives no extra epics, only 2 squares of movement and is only for 5 rounds. I found it to be a waste of a power.
That sounds reasonable, but I'm going to defend Refresh by saying that it is a nice little victory heal you can have at the end of a battle. Other than that, I think you're right. It doesn't have much use during the battle, as the amount of health regained isn't much, and I rarely use it in the middle of a battle.

Hurl Knife isn't that bad, but I consider it situational. I only use it to finish off enemies or as a desperate I-need-an-attack-any-at-all-will-do move.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
I completely agree

Petty Officer
Sep 24, 2013
I pretty much agree with this list too. I didn't even learn the "raise barricade" power for my musketeer because it seemed pointless and wasn't required for any future powers I would learn later on.

Petty Officer
May 30, 2013
Gallent Defense. I have NO earthly idea whatsoever this thing does. It says "intercept an attack directed at ajendent allies.* But what does that mean? I've never caught myself "intercepting" an attack, ever.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
totallyawesomepira... on Jan 10, 2014 wrote:
Gallent Defense. I have NO earthly idea whatsoever this thing does. It says "intercept an attack directed at ajendent allies.* But what does that mean? I've never caught myself "intercepting" an attack, ever.
It simply means that if someone is standing next to you, you are their protector and will be seen as the greater threat by any attacking enemy. They will attack you instead of them. So if you see someone who is getting low on life and no heal is available, trigger your Gallant Defense and stand next to them. Then any attacks will happen to you and they will be spared until they can heal (hopefully heal ).

Petty Officer
May 30, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 10, 2014 wrote:
It simply means that if someone is standing next to you, you are their protector and will be seen as the greater threat by any attacking enemy. They will attack you instead of them. So if you see someone who is getting low on life and no heal is available, trigger your Gallant Defense and stand next to them. Then any attacks will happen to you and they will be spared until they can heal (hopefully heal ).
So, I'm basically just inviting all the enemies to come and attack me? This may be one of the reasons I die in battles sometimes. I'll use it more wisely now.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
So, I'm basically just inviting all the enemies to come and attack me? This may be one of the reasons I die in battles sometimes. I'll use it more wisely now.
Remember it only works on attacks that are melee and can attack you at wherever your standing as the attack is going off.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Exactly. You are being the gallant hero. Buffing yourself with some shielding or increasing your already massive dodge before you use this is highly recommended.
You usually don't take on too much damage with this as a good swashy is extremely hard to hit and especially if the bad guys have low accuracy they switch from doing damage to your friends and crew to fruitlessly missing your graceful dodges.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
Rachel Dreamsong on Jan 11, 2014 wrote:
Remember it only works on attacks that are melee and can attack you at wherever your standing as the attack is going off.
It only works on melee attacks? I thought it worked on both ranged AND melee attacks. I'll have to check this out because it either means the ranged enemies really did hate me or I was being the gallant hero (Hah!) for my companions.

Gunner's Mate
Aug 08, 2010
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Jan 12, 2014 wrote:
Exactly. You are being the gallant hero. Buffing yourself with some shielding or increasing your already massive dodge before you use this is highly recommended.
You usually don't take on too much damage with this as a good swashy is extremely hard to hit and especially if the bad guys have low accuracy they switch from doing damage to your friends and crew to fruitlessly missing your graceful dodges.
However, in pvp it's definitely not good to use. If a bonnie uses scatterblast, you will take all the damage of your adjacent members, so if there are 4 then you will gain -100% dodge, so you won't dodge anything at all. It could be used well, putting Valor's fortress and levy call and Valor's armor on the swash, and then protecting your companions whilst they deal out damage, but it's not worth it. I don't understand why kingsisle would give us a power like that, maybe if it increased dodge by 100%? It seems like a power buccaneers should have, definitely not swashbucklers.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DeathWiz101378 on Jan 12, 2014 wrote:
However, in pvp it's definitely not good to use. If a bonnie uses scatterblast, you will take all the damage of your adjacent members, so if there are 4 then you will gain -100% dodge, so you won't dodge anything at all. It could be used well, putting Valor's fortress and levy call and Valor's armor on the swash, and then protecting your companions whilst they deal out damage, but it's not worth it. I don't understand why kingsisle would give us a power like that, maybe if it increased dodge by 100%? It seems like a power buccaneers should have, definitely not swashbucklers.
I have used it many a time without taking on too much damage while saving my power hitter companion from being taken out. You do need to be careful with it but it has come in handy many a time.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
Refresh in my terms is pretty useless. By the time you're max level, you are only healing on average 90 health for everyone. That is pretty wimpy.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
warriorscreed on Jan 16, 2014 wrote:
Refresh in my terms is pretty useless. By the time you're max level, you are only healing on average 90 health for everyone. That is pretty wimpy.
Yea but it sure saved your tush when you were little Sometimes even that little heal has made the difference to help me or a crewmember hang in there long enough for the win.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
The first haste you get it gives no epics its so bad that Mormon gets it I wish it could be swapped out for ghost wail or evil eye