Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Venting out of frustration

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 26, 2012
There is so much about this game that I love (the main storyline, the companions' sidequest storylines, the worldbuilding, the glorious number of pop culture references, the gorgeous scenery), but it is incredibly frustrating when you've got some sidequest (which you need to do for the XP, if nothing else, because you need to level up to continue on the main storyline, which has gotten incredibly difficult) and you cannot even finish the sidequests because of the difficulty. Yes, I'm talking about Valencia now. I've just tried FIVE TIMES to collect 4 measly stiletto fish, only to be defeated each and every time. No matter how much I whittle down their hit points, they will always take down even my toughest companions, and if I'm unlucky enough to not get any Heals in my own power set during the fight, and if I'm even more unlucky and I don't have Bonnie Anne in the fight (the only companion my Swashbuckler has who can heal), I hardly have a chance. I log in, I try to defeat 4 stupid fish and fail over and over again, and I wonder why I'm playing the game when I'm not having any fun, I'm just watching my character and my companions get decimated over and over again.

Just needed to get that out. Now I'm going to take a break, let my companions heal, and maybe I'll try again. Or I'll just let the game go for a while.

Petty Officer
Jul 21, 2013
Well, if you are a swashbuckler (as included in your name) there is a strategy! When you enter the battle use Black Fog. Then, use Espirit De Corpse from El Toro. You will also need to use Fan Flanders Shadow Dance. Now, use Shadow Dance for your pirate on the next turn. And now, use Cloud Spirit from Fan Flanders.

Now, with all the buffs, use your pirate and attack a random enemy. Use Fan Flanders Super Hit on the same enemy you attacked. That should basically kill that enemy. Now use El Toro and Subodai Super Hit on the same enemy, then the other one is basically dead. Now, on the next turn, take all your crew members and attack the same enemy. That should also kill them. Finally, attack with all crew members on the next enemy. Wallah! You know have won. Eureka!!! Just repeat the process. I will research other ways for other classes.

Sincerely,
The Weather Man
AKA: Fiery Orion Ironside (Lvl 70 )

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014
Swashbuckling Josh on Jun 29, 2016 wrote:
There is so much about this game that I love (the main storyline, the companions' sidequest storylines, the worldbuilding, the glorious number of pop culture references, the gorgeous scenery), but it is incredibly frustrating when you've got some sidequest (which you need to do for the XP, if nothing else, because you need to level up to continue on the main storyline, which has gotten incredibly difficult) and you cannot even finish the sidequests because of the difficulty. Yes, I'm talking about Valencia now. I've just tried FIVE TIMES to collect 4 measly stiletto fish, only to be defeated each and every time. No matter how much I whittle down their hit points, they will always take down even my toughest companions, and if I'm unlucky enough to not get any Heals in my own power set during the fight, and if I'm even more unlucky and I don't have Bonnie Anne in the fight (the only companion my Swashbuckler has who can heal), I hardly have a chance. I log in, I try to defeat 4 stupid fish and fail over and over again, and I wonder why I'm playing the game when I'm not having any fun, I'm just watching my character and my companions get decimated over and over again.

Just needed to get that out. Now I'm going to take a break, let my companions heal, and maybe I'll try again. Or I'll just let the game go for a while.
For ship battles I always use tough melee companions. Those like Bonnie can get surrounded easily.

Try to use bucaneers with vengeance strike 3, and if you have one of those new lvl 70 ships, there are even corners where you can just wait for enemies with 2 tanks in front. So 3 melees might not even be necessary.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
If you have not already tried it, make el Toro your first mate. I find his accuracy/dodgy buff is often the difference between my crew being viciously chewed on by nasssty fisshes of some nice sushi for supper.

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
It's no lie, those fish are tough! But if you're lucky enough to get Black Fog the first turn, then take the time to buff and shield, and don't forget doubloons have a wonderful impact on battle. Then those fishy fiends will soon be soaking in lye ( it is for Knot, right? Please don't tell me you forgot to get the quest from Alexi in the Mezzaluna tavern ).

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
The Weather Man on Jun 29, 2016 wrote:
Well, if you are a swashbuckler (as included in your name) there is a strategy! When you enter the battle use Black Fog. Then, use Espirit De Corpse from El Toro. You will also need to use Fan Flanders Shadow Dance. Now, use Shadow Dance for your pirate on the next turn. And now, use Cloud Spirit from Fan Flanders.

Now, with all the buffs, use your pirate and attack a random enemy. Use Fan Flanders Super Hit on the same enemy you attacked. That should basically kill that enemy. Now use El Toro and Subodai Super Hit on the same enemy, then the other one is basically dead. Now, on the next turn, take all your crew members and attack the same enemy. That should also kill them. Finally, attack with all crew members on the next enemy. Wallah! You know have won. Eureka!!! Just repeat the process. I will research other ways for other classes.

Sincerely,
The Weather Man
AKA: Fiery Orion Ironside (Lvl 70 )
Good strategy!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
Nov 26, 2012
Thanks for the advice, all. I gave it a go last night, using The Weather Man's tactics, and it was still tough (I lost a couple of companions and got myself knocked out in one of the two fights I did), but I managed to win both battles. I'm not very tactically-minded, so while I have a lot of fun with all of the storylines, the really difficult battles can be frustrating. But I've gotten some good tips in this thread that I'll use in the fights to come. :)

Ensign
Nov 26, 2012
anecorbie on Jun 30, 2016 wrote:
It's no lie, those fish are tough! But if you're lucky enough to get Black Fog the first turn, then take the time to buff and shield, and don't forget doubloons have a wonderful impact on battle. Then those fishy fiends will soon be soaking in lye ( it is for Knot, right? Please don't tell me you forgot to get the quest from Alexi in the Mezzaluna tavern ).
I was getting the caviar for Alexei and the lutevisk for Knut Honeypaw. Trying to kill two fish with one stone.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Congratulations on finishing the quest!

-Indigo