unfair amounts of companions for classes

1
AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Nov 04, 2012
109
so i looked on www.pirate101central.com/wiki and i found out that all of the classes get a different amount of companions. Well the class restricted free ones ones
  • Privateers get 38
  • Musketeers get 32
  • Swashbucklers get 28
  • Witchdoctors get 27
  • and Buccanerrs get... Only 21!
No offense but that is kind of mean can you some how even the odds so every 1 can get equal amounts

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5757
Polaris1055 on Aug 26, 2014 wrote:
so i looked on www.pirate101central.com/wiki and i found out that all of the classes get a different amount of companions. Well the class restricted free ones ones
  • Privateers get 38
  • Musketeers get 32
  • Swashbucklers get 28
  • Witchdoctors get 27
  • and Buccanerrs get... Only 21!
No offense but that is kind of mean can you some how even the odds so every 1 can get equal amounts
Is it really unfair?
Privateers have very few melee attacks, they depend on their crew to make up this limitation. This is why they have so many buffs and heals.
Musketeers, having only ranged attacks ( unless they train or get gear that gives melee attacks ) also depend on their crew - and most of those are also ranged units.
Swashbucklers, being the most mobile, need the back up of other melee units, very few of their crew are ranged.
Witchdoctors have a mix of melee and ranged, probably the most powerful and dangerous attacks. Most are WD with animal companions. No other class has these naturally.
So far Buccaneers are short changed in the companion department, but remember, these are the 'tank' class and their top companions are also Buccaneers.

Lieutenant
May 09, 2009
111
Hi Polaris1055! Not trying to sound mean here, but I think that is how it is supposed to be.Privateers get the most because they are the *leader* class, and Buccaneers get the least because they work better on their own, and the Buccaneer class seems to be a little more simple than the other classes. As such, Buccaneers have easier companion management.

The Loyal Swashbuckler
Noble Ryan Thompson

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Polaris1055 on Aug 26, 2014 wrote:
so i looked on www.pirate101central.com/wiki and i found out that all of the classes get a different amount of companions. Well the class restricted free ones ones
  • Privateers get 38
  • Musketeers get 32
  • Swashbucklers get 28
  • Witchdoctors get 27
  • and Buccanerrs get... Only 21!
No offense but that is kind of mean can you some how even the odds so every 1 can get equal amounts
They are done that way on purpose. The Privateer needs them as they don't do much actual damage dealing, their job is to support and boost their team. They will lose more companions thus need more to replace them. It all evens out with the amounts of damage or boosting the particular class of pirate deals out. Those Privateers also have the expense of training all those companions so it has drawbacks as well as benefits.

Commodore
Jul 07, 2013
962
It suits the classes as intended.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Commodore
May 30, 2010
863
Part of it has to do with the classes themselves. Buccaneers are tough -- hard hitters that can soak up a lot of damage. They don't need the companions as much as a witchdoctor or privateer. WDs really need that assistance early on (at least mine did), but as they level they become very powerful. Musketeers are stand-back-and-shoot-'em guys who need some melee types to get stuck in. Swashbucklers are fast and scary. They have lots of attacks that hit everyone around them. Once you get them into the center of the battle they don't really need the companions as much as say, the weaker privateer. Privateers are good party buff folks. so they need plenty of crew to buff up.

That said you can always purchase more companions from the crown shop. You can get a 'twin' of most of the class-specific ones.

It seems a bit strange to want equal companions for everyone. That would alter the game play, so what would be the point of different classes at all? Yeah, my buccaneer doesn't get the same number of companions as my privateer, but she doesn't need as many, either. She's stuck into the fight, usually right in the thick of things. If my privateer tried that, she'd like as not go down, so she depends on her crew to run interference. For her a wider range of companions is important. For Autumn they just get in the way and steal her kills.

First Mate
Jan 17, 2012
482
Polaris1055 on Aug 26, 2014 wrote:
so i looked on www.pirate101central.com/wiki and i found out that all of the classes get a different amount of companions. Well the class restricted free ones ones
  • Privateers get 38
  • Musketeers get 32
  • Swashbucklers get 28
  • Witchdoctors get 27
  • and Buccanerrs get... Only 21!
No offense but that is kind of mean can you some how even the odds so every 1 can get equal amounts
Companions are what really make a Privateer a Privateer. He basically stays in the background and supports his crew with buffs, heals, and remote blanket attacks.

What I find odd is my Swashbuckler has not a single Privateer companion. Not a one. My muskeeteer has a huge number of musketeer companions. I don't get it.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
208
Why would you want to? From my POV, Buccs get the best companions.

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
409
Polaris1055 on Aug 26, 2014 wrote:
so i looked on www.pirate101central.com/wiki and i found out that all of the classes get a different amount of companions. Well the class restricted free ones ones
  • Privateers get 38
  • Musketeers get 32
  • Swashbucklers get 28
  • Witchdoctors get 27
  • and Buccanerrs get... Only 21!
No offense but that is kind of mean can you some how even the odds so every 1 can get equal amounts
Privateers are supposed to have the most companions. I think it's in their description. Also, they have very little firepower on their own. Their companions generally do the damage-dealing for them. They need a wide variety of companions to choose from, to deal as much damage as possible.

Ensign
Jan 17, 2010
8
The amount of companions does NOT directly affect actual combat. Every class gets 4 to 5 ace companions, and most people rely on a few companions for all their PvP and PvE. My swashbuckler only uses Toro, Bonnie, Zeena, Ratbeard, Goronado, and Nausica. The rest sit on the bench. The truth is, most likely the more companions you have, the more sit on the bench.

For you as a buccaneer, I see no reason to go beyond Peter, Goronado, and Nausica; or if you want story companions, Toro and Barnie, they fit the current meta game well, since buccaneers need the charge in order to survive retaliation.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5757
Max DeGroot on Aug 27, 2014 wrote:
Companions are what really make a Privateer a Privateer. He basically stays in the background and supports his crew with buffs, heals, and remote blanket attacks.

What I find odd is my Swashbuckler has not a single Privateer companion. Not a one. My muskeeteer has a huge number of musketeer companions. I don't get it.
Lt. Springer is a privateer, so is Catbeard.

Lieutenant
Nov 04, 2012
109
OK no offense but you realize that you only get 3, 2, or 1 companions joining you in combat so you can use the non class restricted ones like when they get past level 65 and not trying to sound like a jerk but your making it sound like oh just because there natural leaders even though your the leader of the crew no matter the class, that they deserve more companions because they don't have the best strength neither do witchdoctors. If you want higher attack then Just buy high stated gear in the Bazaar. Please don't tell me that I'm the only one who thinks it's unfair

Commodore
May 30, 2010
863
Polaris1055 on Aug 27, 2014 wrote:
OK no offense but you realize that you only get 3, 2, or 1 companions joining you in combat so you can use the non class restricted ones like when they get past level 65 and not trying to sound like a jerk but your making it sound like oh just because there natural leaders even though your the leader of the crew no matter the class, that they deserve more companions because they don't have the best strength neither do witchdoctors. If you want higher attack then Just buy high stated gear in the Bazaar. Please don't tell me that I'm the only one who thinks it's unfair
I'm sure you're not the only one who thinks it unfair, but it is as intended. Naturally we all want things to seem "fair", but life doesn't work that way in reality.

As you yourself point out, you only get a small number of your crew joining you in battle anyway, so why does it matter if the Privateers have more companions than the Buccaneers? Just as you say that the weaker pirates can buy better gear, so can you buy the non-class companions.

Truly, each pirate class plays differently. Have you played other classes to see what we mean?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5757
Polaris1055 on Aug 27, 2014 wrote:
OK no offense but you realize that you only get 3, 2, or 1 companions joining you in combat so you can use the non class restricted ones like when they get past level 65 and not trying to sound like a jerk but your making it sound like oh just because there natural leaders even though your the leader of the crew no matter the class, that they deserve more companions because they don't have the best strength neither do witchdoctors. If you want higher attack then Just buy high stated gear in the Bazaar. Please don't tell me that I'm the only one who thinks it's unfair
Well, apparently, you are the only one. But consider this: the story isn't through, yet. Who knows what new companions will be recruited, or how many. Maybe it all balances in the end.

Captain
Feb 02, 2013
721
Polaris1055 on Aug 27, 2014 wrote:
OK no offense but you realize that you only get 3, 2, or 1 companions joining you in combat so you can use the non class restricted ones like when they get past level 65 and not trying to sound like a jerk but your making it sound like oh just because there natural leaders even though your the leader of the crew no matter the class, that they deserve more companions because they don't have the best strength neither do witchdoctors. If you want higher attack then Just buy high stated gear in the Bazaar. Please don't tell me that I'm the only one who thinks it's unfair
You misinterpreted him when he said privy isnt a heavy hitter, we literally have no class attacks except some bombs, we are the buff class, its our classes job to sit back and support our companions, we need more because typically we cant kill the enemy fast enough before losing one of our own due to us only have 3 attackers instead of 4 like with other classes

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
324
a lot of people in this thread have been pointing out that as the "leader" class privateers get the most companions, and that since privateer powers focus on empowering companions, this is an appropriate reason for privateers to have so many more than other classes.

But as someone with multiple maxed out pirates (including a privateer) i noticed something: my privateer raked in FAR more reward for his companion's tasks than my swash or musk. my point is this: while the large amount of companions is appropriate in gameplay, it also provides a largely unfair benefit to the privateer when cashing in on his companion tasks. however...... i cant think of a solution to this problem, so we will just have to bear with it until the geniuses at KI figure something out.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
586
It is what it is, I guess.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
704
Since Privateer are leaders and have a lot of companion.They are versatile in many ways,and works many kinds of pirate groups.This class often duel in groups and got a lot of companions along the way,regardless of thire strength or bravery.

Buccaneers on the other hand are fighters and usually go solo. When comes to Buccaneers when recruiting companions it's all about accepting the strongest and bravest members. It's quality over quantity in other words.

The other classes are somewhere in between, like a wild card.You will never know,when the tides turns or run to a sticky situation.

Each class are unique in thire own way in other words,when building a crew.

Petty Officer
Oct 04, 2012
64
On my main (witchdoctor) I use 3 companions regularly and no more than 8 in total. The rest of them just permanently collect either cash or items.

The only unfairness I can see is that the more companions you have the more tasks they can run for you at any given time.

Captain
May 27, 2009
563
Actually, with the revamp of Companions to give them other activities, Privateers do now have an advantage over Buccaneers by having a larger crew. They can send more companions on these tasks than Buccaneers can.

Of course, many players don't even get all of the companions their class is entitled to, because they don't do the side quests...

Petty Officer
Jul 06, 2010
52
anecorbie on Aug 27, 2014 wrote:
Lt. Springer is a privateer, so is Catbeard.
Don't forget Gracie Conrad.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5757
sjosten on Aug 28, 2014 wrote:
Don't forget Gracie Conrad.
Thank you for that reminder! And she is a valuable recruit!

Commodore
May 30, 2010
863
Chinspinner on Aug 28, 2014 wrote:
On my main (witchdoctor) I use 3 companions regularly and no more than 8 in total. The rest of them just permanently collect either cash or items.

The only unfairness I can see is that the more companions you have the more tasks they can run for you at any given time.
Yes, but the more companions you have on a task, the longer it takes for them all to finish. It evens out in the end, I think.

Lieutenant
Nov 04, 2012
109
anecorbie on Aug 26, 2014 wrote:
Is it really unfair?
Privateers have very few melee attacks, they depend on their crew to make up this limitation. This is why they have so many buffs and heals.
Musketeers, having only ranged attacks ( unless they train or get gear that gives melee attacks ) also depend on their crew - and most of those are also ranged units.
Swashbucklers, being the most mobile, need the back up of other melee units, very few of their crew are ranged.
Witchdoctors have a mix of melee and ranged, probably the most powerful and dangerous attacks. Most are WD with animal companions. No other class has these naturally.
So far Buccaneers are short changed in the companion department, but remember, these are the 'tank' class and their top companions are also Buccaneers.
Musketeers, Witchdoctors, and Buccaneers give Buffs too. the only technically buff the Swashbucklers give is Black Fog so pretty much all classes give buffs

Commodore
May 30, 2010
863
Polaris1055 on Aug 29, 2014 wrote:
Musketeers, Witchdoctors, and Buccaneers give Buffs too. the only technically buff the Swashbucklers give is Black Fog so pretty much all classes give buffs
This is true. However, the Privateer doesn't really have any other attacks, unlike the Swashbuckler and their poisons or their dance of steel or whatever. Buccaneers have all sorts of great melee special attacks. Witchdoctors can use their spells. Musketeers (I always want to type that Mouseketeers for some reason) have wonderful traps and area affect bombardment spells. My Privateer has three area affect bombs from her class. What she has is lots and lots of buffs and heals. If I hadn't multi-classed her, she'd be incredibly weak toe-to-toe once those three big bombs dropped, and the enemy isn't normally just standing in a nice phalanx waiting for her to use all her bombs. More than any other class, she depends on her crew for protection and to do the heavy hitting. Even my Witchdoctor, because she has life-suck spells, is now running stronger than Tavia did at the same level, although to be fair, Tavia was my first pirate so I probably didn't play her as intelligently in the early stages of the game as I have my other pirates.

1