Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Troll Sting

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
This idea occurred to me after reading a post titled: Worst Community Stories. The original poster had returned to P101 from a break and had created a new pirate. He contends that the P101 community has grown "toxic" and that max level trolls ( they're always max level, aren't they? ) are taking over.
Well, I decided to test this contention.
Because I don't intend to delete and created a new pirate, I'm going to "dress down" my buccaneer, I'm wearing the lowest level of clothes and gear, I have unequipped my mount and I am using my ( barely ) adult Ostrich pet.
In fact, my character now looks quite pathetic, I haven't seen her look this "noobish" in a while.
Day #1 3:00 pm central
I was on Avery server and started in Avery's Court. I wandered around here then there and was not noticed at all ( very refreshing, if you're a max level you know what I mean. ) I was bored so I headed to the Brawlin' Hall ( it was empty ). So I went to the Spar Room, PVP match was going on, friends were chatting, no crude or bullying talk going on.
Went back to Avery's Court and encountered someone needing help with Gen. Tso. Of course, I helped him. By which time, it was 5:00 pm so I logged off.
8:00 pm.
Returned to Avery's Court and it was getting crowded, Some max levels were having a conversation at one end of the Court so I went over and hung out very near them. No bullying was occurring. So I went to the Hall and Spar Room again, still wasn't bullied.
I had a very boring evening.
I'm going to continue through until Sunday, maybe the week end is more appealing to trolls or maybe incidents of bullying have been exaggerated.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Does it count if I spot you and start shouting insults?

For a few months I have had a couple of pirates in Avery's Court, level 10 and level 3 (tis one on foot), and so far there has been no drive-by fruiting. Mind you, they are not in PvP areas.

-Indigo

Ensign
May 12, 2011
is the role of this thread to find who the trolls and bullies to low lvl players?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Jonathan Nightinga... on Feb 25, 2016 wrote:
is the role of this thread to find who the trolls and bullies to low lvl players?
Hi, are you the musketeer my buck helped? ( I'm Bold Bess Nightingale ) The role of this thread is for me to see if I can experience the bullying of new players and if its as common as some players are saying.
I won't be reporting names, that would be hear say evidence, but if I can have the same experiences, that would prove that there is a community of trolls who make it a habit to harass new players.
Quiet frankly, I'm not having much success.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Indigo Ring on Feb 24, 2016 wrote:
Does it count if I spot you and start shouting insults?

For a few months I have had a couple of pirates in Avery's Court, level 10 and level 3 (tis one on foot), and so far there has been no drive-by fruiting. Mind you, they are not in PvP areas.

-Indigo
A few insults would have broken the monotony of last night, I'm not very good at staying in one place for hours. I travel between Avery's court, the Brawlin' Hall and the Spar Chamber, plenty of action everywhere but no one interested in "Noob" Bess.
Found a beggar in Avery's Court asking to be gifted a Solar Saber and even she wasn't bullied ( just denied ) When she wouldn't stop and was saying it was "easy" to gift her "just use your crowns", I couldn't help myself - I went up to her and said, "Get your own crowns"
To which she replied, "that was rude, bess."
I pointed out, "it's rude to beg."
"I wasn't begging just asking."
"asking is begging."
at this point, a bystander began "lol-ing."
"rudeness isn't funny." and she poofed out. I guess I'm a bullying troll, huh?
Fearless Finnigan suggested that I ask a few "noob" questions, so I approached a girl who had the Wonky Donkey mount and asked her where she got it ( twice ) she didn't reply but she also didn't tell me to get lost. She just moved away and began asking for players who wanted to join for the Smuggler's Arena.
All in all, a colossal waste of my time.

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
Interesting social experiment Esperanza. How long do you plan to keep it going?

The Grin Reaper

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
anecorbie on Feb 25, 2016 wrote:
A few insults would have broken the monotony of last night, I'm not very good at staying in one place for hours. I travel between Avery's court, the Brawlin' Hall and the Spar Chamber, plenty of action everywhere but no one interested in "Noob" Bess.
Found a beggar in Avery's Court asking to be gifted a Solar Saber and even she wasn't bullied ( just denied ) When she wouldn't stop and was saying it was "easy" to gift her "just use your crowns", I couldn't help myself - I went up to her and said, "Get your own crowns"
To which she replied, "that was rude, bess."
I pointed out, "it's rude to beg."
"I wasn't begging just asking."
"asking is begging."
at this point, a bystander began "lol-ing."
"rudeness isn't funny." and she poofed out. I guess I'm a bullying troll, huh?
Fearless Finnigan suggested that I ask a few "noob" questions, so I approached a girl who had the Wonky Donkey mount and asked her where she got it ( twice ) she didn't reply but she also didn't tell me to get lost. She just moved away and began asking for players who wanted to join for the Smuggler's Arena.
All in all, a colossal waste of my time.
I have been playing this game for 3 years and I don't know where you can get the wonky donkey so I wouldn't really call that evidence but still everything else you have said easily proves your point

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
witchdoctor daruis on Feb 26, 2016 wrote:
I have been playing this game for 3 years and I don't know where you can get the wonky donkey so I wouldn't really call that evidence but still everything else you have said easily proves your point
It was meant to see if a question would get a response - it didn't, so moving on.
The Wonky the Donkey was an April Fools mount, these are special, limited time mounts.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Grin Reaper on Feb 26, 2016 wrote:
Interesting social experiment Esperanza. How long do you plan to keep it going?

The Grin Reaper
Ends Sunday evening.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I went looking for you last night to hurl colorful and witty insults at you (so you wouldn't be bored, of course) but did not spot you.

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
LOL, does utter weirdness reign supreme? So there I am, minding my business, watching the players on Avery in the Court and there's this guy running around asking for help and getting no offers. I check his level - an eleven.
So I go up to him and say I can help. He wants me to friend him, I do.
Then this completely weird conversation starts through friend chat:
"I want you to be a doctor."
? " How do you want me to be that?"
"My wife is having a baby, I need a doctor."
eeww! "stop that! I'm not interested in playing games like that!" DELETE NOW! & RUN AWAY!
I should have told him: "I don't no nothing 'bout birthin' no babies."
utterly bizarre role play.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
Admiral
May 30, 2010
anecorbie on Feb 26, 2016 wrote:
LOL, does utter weirdness reign supreme? So there I am, minding my business, watching the players on Avery in the Court and there's this guy running around asking for help and getting no offers. I check his level - an eleven.
eeww! "stop that! I'm not interested in playing games like that!" DELETE NOW! & RUN AWAY!
One can hope it was just a role play. But um, how were they planning to represent the kid?

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
possibly they caught on? like either they recognize you from morph tent, click on you see your real level or notice you have open chat.. all those could signify you might be a trap.. i like your experiment though.. thinking i might log on my 3rd account that nobody knows.. sadly its open chat though i can easily make a noob... an ostrich isnt quite noob enough if you arent level 4.. maybe a first gen bunnicorn or crok? etc etc? hmm thinking i might try myself i can this weekend anyways.. try popping in morph tent on an unknown.. ask for a morph.. love my tent buddies but they can be rude to noobs.. especially if they say "hatch please?" (meaning came from wizard) you could always make an extra account for this experiment too..
stormy jen silver

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
stormyjensilverdra... on Feb 27, 2016 wrote:
possibly they caught on? like either they recognize you from morph tent, click on you see your real level or notice you have open chat.. all those could signify you might be a trap.. i like your experiment though.. thinking i might log on my 3rd account that nobody knows.. sadly its open chat though i can easily make a noob... an ostrich isnt quite noob enough if you arent level 4.. maybe a first gen bunnicorn or crok? etc etc? hmm thinking i might try myself i can this weekend anyways.. try popping in morph tent on an unknown.. ask for a morph.. love my tent buddies but they can be rude to noobs.. especially if they say "hatch please?" (meaning came from wizard) you could always make an extra account for this experiment too..
stormy jen silver
I have a second account and the lowest character on there is nearly on the cusp of level 30. Lord above, I don't wish to make a third account just to prove a point.
The Pirate101 community is an awesome collection of friendly players with a really low minority of unfriendly to bullying bridge trolls.
Next time your friends are unkind to someone asking for a "hatch" why not let them know how you feel about such behavior? You seem popular and I'm sure they'll listen to you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
anecorbie on Feb 26, 2016 wrote:
Great experiment to prove that the troll alarmists may in fact be trolls themselves.

Loved the Gone With The Wind reference.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Feb 29, 2016 wrote:
Great experiment to prove that the troll alarmists may in fact be trolls themselves.

Loved the Gone With The Wind reference.
This may be exactly what is happening, people are mistaking unfriendly or rude responses for troll ( bullying ) behavior, here is a fine example:
I was in the Spar Room the other day ( as Bess ) in my max gear, as an obviously high level pirate. Several players approached me to "check" me out ( click on me and see my stats ).
Then one of them told me I was "mean".
"Why do you say that?", I asked.
"You have your friend option turned off."
Yes, I'm mean because I don't want to make a friend in the Spar Room, I've learned better than to do that. And it's off because I don't want players spamming friend requests at me constantly ( and if I could turn off group requests, I would. )
Post Edit:
LOL, found out how to turn the group requests off ( just took me 3 1/2 years! )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Alright, this isn't about me looking for bullies, but I can say the species known as "Troll" is alive and well in the spar chamber.
There was this girl "trolling", you know, making snide little comments about the players and their strategies - none of them either funny or creative. She was, however, delightfully ( for her ) getting under the skin of the PVP teams. When one of the PVP-ers had enough, he chose to use some "vulgarities" around the filter; when I warned him he should watch his language, he said, "But Isis, she's bullying us!"
I said, " No, she's just annoying, don't descend to her level, she would be happy if you got reported."
Players, there is a huge difference in annoying rudeness and bullying. Here's how to tell the difference:
1. Do the comments make you mad? That's rudeness.
2. Do the comments make you question your value as a human being? That's bullying.
Lumping the two into one category won't help reports on the community at large. In any case the best solution to both is the ignore button.
As Monkey King so wisely said: "Don't feed the trolls."
On another note, it seems that I'm rude because I refused to gift a beggar.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
The closest thing to bullying I've heard was in pvp but it was just the usual combat taunting that alot of people do but no bullying has ever passed my ears ( or eyes because it's all in text). Then again I've never really spent more than a few minutes at a time so maybe I should try this myself.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
This was a really cool idea! That one guy needing a doctor was definitely an odd request indeed. I'm sorry about nothing happening, but at the same, it's a good thing our community is "troll-deficient"

If you think level is a variable, I have some pirates that are at a low level so I could create a new pirate or even just play as one of those pirates to see if any trolling occurs. I might even record results of people who are willing to help me(with story progression, not weird role playing).

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Apr 4, 2016 wrote:
This was a really cool idea! That one guy needing a doctor was definitely an odd request indeed. I'm sorry about nothing happening, but at the same, it's a good thing our community is "troll-deficient"

If you think level is a variable, I have some pirates that are at a low level so I could create a new pirate or even just play as one of those pirates to see if any trolling occurs. I might even record results of people who are willing to help me(with story progression, not weird role playing).

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
If you would like to do this, please do. It will at least give you something to do while we wait for the test realm ( it's coming, I know it! )