Tower Strategies, Pirates helping Pirates

2
AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9104
I going to give a piece of advice that's so obvious, that some of you may say "anecorbie, this advice is a waste of my time to read, why are you posting it?"

HAVE YOUR MOJO POTIONS FILLED BEFORE ENTERING THE TOWER
So many players are not doing this, plus they're entering battle when injured!

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
607
Ratbeard on Oct 24, 2014 wrote:
Ratbeard apparently made attempts to freeze and stop enemies counter-productive.

What a jerk!

Me thinks a certain Rat has been nefariously tinkering.

Not at all! They've had all these powers since the beginning-- I'm as surprised as anyone else to see how the AI evaluates its moves and pulls out powers that it rarely uses.

I mean, not completely surprised, of course, I helped design the AI after all, but it's complex-- and each battle is unpredictable-- so I can't accurately predict how the AI will run through all its millions of possible moves.

It seems to be thinking on an entirely new level...

Come to think of it, this might be a good time to mention how much I love machines and that I welcome our new robot overlords.
Agreed!What a jerk!So mean!

I was told the Nefarious Five were five brainwashed max level pirate.I took that to mean five max level pirates who were brainwashed,and have ALL the abilities of max level pirates,with more in their repertoire.So,it's normal that they would have all the stuff they're supposed to.

This is also a good time to emphasize that I never forget to update either of my computers,and that I have never kicked a machine.Oh and all hail our robotic overlords!*bows slightly,though,not fully*

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
607
anecorbie on Oct 24, 2014 wrote:
I going to give a piece of advice that's so obvious, that some of you may say "anecorbie, this advice is a waste of my time to read, why are you posting it?"

HAVE YOUR MOJO POTIONS FILLED BEFORE ENTERING THE TOWER
So many players are not doing this, plus they're entering battle when injured!
Yes,the tip is redundant,but still important.Thanks for reminding me to refill my mojo potions.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
I have found the terracotta warriors to be a difficult floor for many pirates. A good strategy so they don't charge the team is to summon. I usually put the squad of scorpions in their path. Not only does it break up the mob but they seem to like to hit them and not us. It protects mostly from being surrounded and they waste that vicious charge.

Also please understand I am a privateer and I try my best to protect the team. If I have an available option that will ruin your attack but by doing so allow me to save a member of the field I will not hesitate to ruin your attack.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
607
Well,this guy and I(his name is Fishy Ryan Carter) tried to duo the Nefarious Five.I tried to get Faye to heal me when I was down to 98 health,and got defeated.When he tried to attack,though,Josef demonstrated Reckless Frenzy.Add that to the list,mademoiselle Devereaux.

And ugh,that was not a fun tower run.There was a lot of glitchiness,and Pearl couldn't stay to complete the Nefarious Five battle.Ultimately,we had to come back and try to duo it.It did not end well.But at least we know that!

And I finally got to use Soul Shroud against Johnny!Woohoo!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9104
DuranteRamses87 on Oct 25, 2014 wrote:
I have found the terracotta warriors to be a difficult floor for many pirates. A good strategy so they don't charge the team is to summon. I usually put the squad of scorpions in their path. Not only does it break up the mob but they seem to like to hit them and not us. It protects mostly from being surrounded and they waste that vicious charge.

Also please understand I am a privateer and I try my best to protect the team. If I have an available option that will ruin your attack but by doing so allow me to save a member of the field I will not hesitate to ruin your attack.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
You may ruin my attack anytime ( the neck you save may be my own! ) . Swashbucklers have no summons, so we are forced to use doubloons, I have ruined my own planned attack when a summoning takes up my spot!
And, f course, a pet will run right up and block my attack.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
1196
Ratbeard on Oct 24, 2014 wrote:
Ratbeard apparently made attempts to freeze and stop enemies counter-productive.

What a jerk!

Me thinks a certain Rat has been nefariously tinkering.

Not at all! They've had all these powers since the beginning-- I'm as surprised as anyone else to see how the AI evaluates its moves and pulls out powers that it rarely uses.

I mean, not completely surprised, of course, I helped design the AI after all, but it's complex-- and each battle is unpredictable-- so I can't accurately predict how the AI will run through all its millions of possible moves.

It seems to be thinking on an entirely new level...

Come to think of it, this might be a good time to mention how much I love machines and that I welcome our new robot overlords.
(peals of laughter echoing down the hallway) Oh, Ratbeard, you are just too much! Love it.

I haven't had a chance to do that many runs of the Tower, but enough to see the truth of the helpful ideas that have already been expressed, and perhaps a couple of my own:

1) Pets: love them, train them, equip them. Yes, they can go crazy and break those statues, but my pets have saved my bacon more than once. So far, the most useful traits I have enjoyed from my pets are (a) pet healing, (b) pet granting healing cards, and (c) charming gaze. And boy, that last one has really been useful when I've tried soloing the Tower (not getting all that far, but still very fun). Though I recently brought along a pet with 'grant's bladestorm', and for a swashbuckler with first strike, riposte, and now bladestorm, that was completely awesome. (Needless to say, I am working on an 'uber-pet' - to combine all those traits I find so very useful! Thanks to KI's clever pet system in Pirate, which needs just a few minutes at a time over time, this is a goal that I can envision achieving.)

2) Save the doubloon 'great juju' for those very difficult fights. No need to waste such a powerful aid on the easier fights.

3) Take the challenges in stride. I've seen some players get very upset when a fight didn't go the way they wanted, or when a player did something unexpected or even foolish. The game challenges are very entertaining (particularly Faye, who adds a strong degree of the unexpected into every fight with her. Some can even be hilarious, like the time we had to wait for our pets to save us, as all the players were either knocked out or charmed). As for other players who might 'mess things up', it is only a game after all. But even a great game is no fun when players are too critical or rude.

4) And speaking of 'messing things up', the greatest player challenge perhaps is to know if everyone is dedicated to the whole Tower fight or not. Be up front about saying you only want to go as far as the Nefarious Five, if that is your goal. The other players may often go along with that, even if they want the whole Tower fight. However, at least stick around to open the second hallway chest, just past the 5's fight!

Community Leader
warriorscreed on Oct 23, 2014 wrote:
It's the same with the Terror-cotta warriors on floors 9 and 10. If you freeze them with Ice Wave, they use Leviathan's Call.......ALL OF THEM. This makes the round extremely long and hard to beat. My word of advice, DON'T USE FREEZING TIDE. Ratbeard apparently made attempts to freeze and stop enemies counter-productive.
You can still use Freezing Tide on Floor 9, yes they will use leviathans call, but have all of your team use WD comps and slay them with magic while they are frozen in place. :) Power Spell Doubloons work wonders when all of your WD comps attack.

Johnny - Pirate101 Community Leader
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9104
So, you're a witchdoctor and you've used the Elixir. Does this mean that you can never attack Moo without being charmed? Actually, there is a way to do this! Someone in a recent tower run showed my witchdoctor how it's done.
Now, you know that there are four rows of chopper statues, place yourself at the ends ( nearest Moo ) of either of the two far rows ( the ones closest to the walls ). From there you can attack Moo with AoEs and he can't charm or attack you!

Notice! Moo Manchu has exhibited a new power! He has Egg Timer attacks! If you don't know what this is, it regresses a pet into an egg for a turn. What I want to know is this: is this a power from gear, or a power that our witchdoctors may eventually gain?

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
607
anecorbie on Nov 17, 2014 wrote:
So, you're a witchdoctor and you've used the Elixir. Does this mean that you can never attack Moo without being charmed? Actually, there is a way to do this! Someone in a recent tower run showed my witchdoctor how it's done.
Now, you know that there are four rows of chopper statues, place yourself at the ends ( nearest Moo ) of either of the two far rows ( the ones closest to the walls ). From there you can attack Moo with AoEs and he can't charm or attack you!

Notice! Moo Manchu has exhibited a new power! He has Egg Timer attacks! If you don't know what this is, it regresses a pet into an egg for a turn. What I want to know is this: is this a power from gear, or a power that our witchdoctors may eventually gain?
So far,it is a doubloon power...
It seems a bit too PvP oriented to be a new witchdoctor ability or gear...because...it doesn't have too much use outside of the Brawlin'Hall(correction:it had no use outside the brawlin'hall)

And remember the same holds true for Privateer AoEs!!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9104
The Hoodoo Master on Nov 17, 2014 wrote:
So far,it is a doubloon power...
It seems a bit too PvP oriented to be a new witchdoctor ability or gear...because...it doesn't have too much use outside of the Brawlin'Hall(correction:it had no use outside the brawlin'hall)

And remember the same holds true for Privateer AoEs!!!
It is possible that we may face enemies with pets ( remember Mr. Buttersauce )? Or this leaves a scary question in my mind: does Moo Manchu have doubloons?
And you're right: Privateer and Musketeer AoEs can be used against Moo in the situation I described in the previous post. So if you're a Musketeer or Privateer who has succumbed to your nefarious side, you can still fight Moo without the risk of being charmed!

Ensign
Jun 13, 2014
48
I've done Moo's tower about a dozen times and today I duo'ed the Nefarious 5 (we had a third member of the party, but they drank the elixir). It was pretty cool- level 65 Swashbuckler and 65 Witchdoctor duo'ed the Nefarious 5 ....er...6.

Admittedly, it helped that I have the clay warrior summoning robes.

I've seen people here complaining how X classes powers mess up their attacks. Learn to make it work with your powers. BE patient. You don't have to be the guy to kill Moo, or the one to kill everything. It's about team work. On one run through the tower, I was the primary healer, so I put on my healing gear. I have 2 characters. A 65 Swashbuckler and a level 13 privateer (occasionally I'll play my son's 65 Witchdoctor).

I would also say it's better to definitely take down a creature than to hope one or two attacks will do enough damage. One less monster on the board is one less attack on their turn.

Black Fog is awesome, if nothing else for the damage bonus. Move up to your casters (witchdoctor/privateer) and hit them with it as well.

You aren't in a race (though, I have gotten extra speed bonus chest at times). It's ok to take an extra turn to buff up.

It is a different mind set to play as a team than to play relying on just yourself. Accept that, and you'll find yourself going further than you ever thought possible.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2743
anecorbie on Oct 20, 2014 wrote:
Hello, my friends! I've decided to start this thread in the hope that we can help each other defeat Moo with ease ( why let Zuto have all the fun? )
As a team player how can you help and support the team? Privateers do this as part of their class, but even if you aren't a privy, you can help other team mates.
Obviously, there are companions that help in this - El Toro and all the class companions have buffs that can add to the team's victory.
But what can you, as an individual pirate, do?
As a swashbuckler, you have Black Fog. When I'm making my choices in the first round of combat; and I see that Black Fog is in my actions bar, I announce that I have it. This allows other players the choice of taking advantage of this useful tool. I have to add that as a swashbuckler with fog, its best to go in battle in the last place.
I know, no one likes to go last, but this gives an advantage to the team. Start thinking as a team and not as a loose alliance of pirates.
Hail, Sweet Victory!
I finally got a chance to try my 2nd, non-solo run at Moo's Tower. I wasn't sure I would have enough time to finish, so I used my son's pirate to try a tandem run, as to avoid possibly bailing on others. So 2 maxed Buccs ventured into that ominous structure to give it a go.

Now my pirate has high-level, farmed gear, lots of high-level doubloons & has enticed several Crown Shop & Card Pack companions to join him. My son's pirate is maxed but hasn't acquired the most sought after gear, has not promoted most of his main storyline companions & still hasn't completed most of Zeke's quests & gained those precious practice points. So, I was a tad bit nervous as to how us 2 buccaneers would fair against those evil-deed-mooers...I mean doers!

We had 1 hiccup as our biscuits got burnt in the fire room, mostly due to me forgetting I'd clicked on a pushback doubloon & had targeted a couple of the enemies to attack. Well they got pushed back & my companions just stood there with their turn forfeited as I was ready to wrap up the battle...that's my story & I'm sticking to it. After one more try at it we marched on to the Sinister Cinco.

Now, I've seen tips to un-equip pets during various tower battles, including against the Nefarious 5, since dear old Faye can take control of our faithful critters. In general, I would say that I have mixed feelings about this, because I personally think it depends on what your pet actually grants your pirate. For example, my current pet (the one used that day) grants my pirate 5 powers/talents: Turn the Tide, Elusive & Rally, Shark's Fury & Kraken's Lament. Plus, I have pets that grant 3 healing powers & those to me are always more important than worrying about my pet getting charmed. But...that same pet also has Charming Gaze 2 & so did my son's pet.

Ordinarily I would take those pets into any battle, but against the Nefarious 5 I would advise against taking a Charming Gaze pet up against Ms. Faye. First off, they can't charm the members of the Nef. 5, but I suppose they could charm an already charmed minion of yours. Or they could do what they did in my battle against the 5...

After both Minotaurs showed up, that same round they attacked Faye & both fell subject to her charm. Meanwhile I had already laid down a 'safety blanket' of summoned minions to distract the 5. Well, once those 2 Minis were charmed, they then went on to each charm 3 + 2 minions in that same round, thus creating a 8 (16) combatant swing in battle-- yeah, she got Valkoor that round too.

I was able to hold on & defeat the 5 without either of our pirates bobbling about, but it really dragged the battle out, with all of the back & forth charming that ensued. Because of how long it took, I unfortunately had to stop after the victory over the Nef-5.

So, in general-- if your Charming Gaze pet doesn't grant your pirate tremendous advantages in battle against the Nefarious 5, make sure to un-equip it....or you just may be facing some not so charming odds.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
607
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Dec 2, 2014 wrote:
I finally got a chance to try my 2nd, non-solo run at Moo's Tower. I wasn't sure I would have enough time to finish, so I used my son's pirate to try a tandem run, as to avoid possibly bailing on others. So 2 maxed Buccs ventured into that ominous structure to give it a go.

Now my pirate has high-level, farmed gear, lots of high-level doubloons & has enticed several Crown Shop & Card Pack companions to join him. My son's pirate is maxed but hasn't acquired the most sought after gear, has not promoted most of his main storyline companions & still hasn't completed most of Zeke's quests & gained those precious practice points. So, I was a tad bit nervous as to how us 2 buccaneers would fair against those evil-deed-mooers...I mean doers!

We had 1 hiccup as our biscuits got burnt in the fire room, mostly due to me forgetting I'd clicked on a pushback doubloon & had targeted a couple of the enemies to attack. Well they got pushed back & my companions just stood there with their turn forfeited as I was ready to wrap up the battle...that's my story & I'm sticking to it. After one more try at it we marched on to the Sinister Cinco.

Now, I've seen tips to un-equip pets during various tower battles, including against the Nefarious 5, since dear old Faye can take control of our faithful critters. In general, I would say that I have mixed feelings about this, because I personally think it depends on what your pet actually grants your pirate. For example, my current pet (the one used that day) grants my pirate 5 powers/talents: Turn the Tide, Elusive & Rally, Shark's Fury & Kraken's Lament. Plus, I have pets that grant 3 healing powers & those to me are always more important than worrying about my pet getting charmed. But...that same pet also has Charming Gaze 2 & so did my son's pet.

Ordinarily I would take those pets into any battle, but against the Nefarious 5 I would advise against taking a Charming Gaze pet up against Ms. Faye. First off, they can't charm the members of the Nef. 5, but I suppose they could charm an already charmed minion of yours. Or they could do what they did in my battle against the 5...

After both Minotaurs showed up, that same round they attacked Faye & both fell subject to her charm. Meanwhile I had already laid down a 'safety blanket' of summoned minions to distract the 5. Well, once those 2 Minis were charmed, they then went on to each charm 3 + 2 minions in that same round, thus creating a 8 (16) combatant swing in battle-- yeah, she got Valkoor that round too.

I was able to hold on & defeat the 5 without either of our pirates bobbling about, but it really dragged the battle out, with all of the back & forth charming that ensued. Because of how long it took, I unfortunately had to stop after the victory over the Nef-5.

So, in general-- if your Charming Gaze pet doesn't grant your pirate tremendous advantages in battle against the Nefarious 5, make sure to un-equip it....or you just may be facing some not so charming odds.
Can't believe it took me nine days to find this.
Seriously,thank ye for this.I will comment on it more thoroughly when I'm not this,sleepy...

2