Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Tower Strategies, Pirates helping Pirates

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Hello, my friends! I've decided to start this thread in the hope that we can help each other defeat Moo with ease ( why let Zuto have all the fun? )
As a team player how can you help and support the team? Privateers do this as part of their class, but even if you aren't a privy, you can help other team mates.
Obviously, there are companions that help in this - El Toro and all the class companions have buffs that can add to the team's victory.
But what can you, as an individual pirate, do?
As a swashbuckler, you have Black Fog. When I'm making my choices in the first round of combat; and I see that Black Fog is in my actions bar, I announce that I have it. This allows other players the choice of taking advantage of this useful tool. I have to add that as a swashbuckler with fog, its best to go in battle in the last place.
I know, no one likes to go last, but this gives an advantage to the team. Start thinking as a team and not as a loose alliance of pirates.
Hail, Sweet Victory!

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 20, 2014 wrote:
Hello, my friends! I've decided to start this thread in the hope that we can help each other defeat Moo with ease ( why let Zuto have all the fun? )
As a team player how can you help and support the team? Privateers do this as part of their class, but even if you aren't a privy, you can help other team mates.
Obviously, there are companions that help in this - El Toro and all the class companions have buffs that can add to the team's victory.
As a swashbuckler, you have Black Fog. When I'm making my choices in the first round of combat; and I see that Black Fog is in my actions bar, I announce that I have it. This allows other players the choice of taking advantage of this useful tool. I have to add that as a swashbuckler with fog, its best to go in battle in the last place.
I know, no one likes to go last, but this gives an advantage to the team. Start thinking as a team and not as a loose alliance of pirates.
Hail, Sweet Victory!
On my swashbuckler while I'm hidden, before I use the last round to attack, I use my hidden rounds to either help my companions, my team, or myself (whichever comes first, but I prefer that order). I mean, I may as well help them for they are more vulnerable that I am. - I never thought of announcing that I have Black Fog. I'll try to remember that in the future.

On my musketeer, as everyone else is buffing, I'd get started by building that "fort" of bombs and traps. Then I would use an agility buff to help out any swashbuckler players and companions.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
There are times when black fog can work against the team in causing a portion of it to be surrounded and badly hurt or killed because they only see one or two crews on the field. This is important for tower teams that have more than one swashbuckler. There are times not to use fog.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Hail, Sweet Victory!
One question gets asked frequently in the Tower, "Who should we defeat first?" Almost always, everyone says "Faye the privateer." IMO, this is wrong! Faye isn't the immediate threat, she moves last in battle order and she's as slow as a snail compared to the other Nefarious.
Josef the buccaneer: he has incredible speed, his first action will be to vicious charge the closest & most vulnerable companion. Your priority is to keep him from doing this. You can summon a minion with doubloons or a power. My witchdoctor uses Stygian Chorus for this. Or if you're a buccaneer, don't defend in the first round, but move yourself and your companion in Josef's path. Hold the Line will protect the vulnerable members of your team ( Privateers, Witchdoctors & Musketeers ) Why, you'll be a Hero!
Jonathan the swashbuckler, he moves second: he's every bit as quick & deadly as any max level, well equipped swashbuckler pirate. As a swashbuckler myself, I consider him to be my primary target & I'll usually go for him first ( if he's close enough ). From 'hidden' I will use Assassin's Strike on him, followed by Sarah's sneak attack.
Ben the musketeer: I've seen players use a musket companion against him, please don't. He has Quick Draw and True Grit 3, and he will shoot Zeena, Bonnie Anne & Naussica into atoms. If I can't get to Jonathan I will usually attack Ben. In fact buccaneers & swashbucklers are best against Ben and Lynne
Lynne the witchdoctor: a perfect victim for a buccaneer's Reckless Frenzy ( especially if she's near to Ben ), I encourage you to beat these two silly. Lynne has Jobu's Embrace, Soul Harvest ( from her mask ) Mojo Reaver ( in fact so does Faye ) and Mojo Blast.
Faye the ( blanket-blank ) Privateer; moves last and is so slow she can take two or three rounds to reach your side of the board. Her attacks are the Big Guns, a few critical strikes and ,of course, Charm. That's all.
Attack her with your ranged, Musketeers and Witchdoctors are best against her. Move vulnerable companions out of her way. If you're 'hidden' then you can attack her safely, then get the heck out of town next turn! She is easily defeated if you have defeated the other four.
Four of them have at least one group heal ( Regroup ). and Josef has a privy bomb attack, Jonathan also has Mojo Reaver.
This is my opinion only, based on many battles against the Nef-5 using all classes, if you have other insights into the Five, please share them.
Hail, Sweet Victory!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Fantastic thread and some brilliant stuff here. This one is getting put in the "Watched" files.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 21, 2014 wrote:
One question gets asked frequently in the Tower, "Who should we defeat first?" Almost always, everyone says "Faye the privateer." IMO, this is wrong! Faye isn't the immediate threat, she moves last in battle order and she's as slow as a snail compared to the other Nefarious.
Josef the buccaneer: he has incredible speed, his first action will be to vicious charge the closest & most vulnerable companion. Your priority is to keep him from doing this. You can summon a minion with doubloons or a power. My witchdoctor uses Stygian Chorus for this. Or if you're a buccaneer, don't defend in the first round, but move yourself and your companion in Josef's path. Hold the Line will protect the vulnerable members of your team ( Privateers, Witchdoctors & Musketeers ) Why, you'll be a Hero!
Jonathan the swashbuckler, he moves second: he's every bit as quick & deadly as any max level, well equipped swashbuckler pirate. As a swashbuckler myself, I consider him to be my primary target & I'll usually go for him first ( if he's close enough ). From 'hidden' I will use Assassin's Strike on him, followed by Sarah's sneak attack.
Ben the musketeer: I've seen players use a musket companion against him, please don't. He has Quick Draw and True Grit 3, and he will shoot Zeena, Bonnie Anne & Naussica into atoms. If I can't get to Jonathan I will usually attack Ben. In fact buccaneers & swashbucklers are best against Ben and Lynne
Lynne the witchdoctor: a perfect victim for a buccaneer's Reckless Frenzy ( especially if she's near to Ben ), I encourage you to beat these two silly. Lynne has Jobu's Embrace, Soul Harvest ( from her mask ) Mojo Reaver ( in fact so does Faye ) and Mojo Blast.
Faye the ( blanket-blank ) Privateer; moves last and is so slow she can take two or three rounds to reach your side of the board. Her attacks are the Big Guns, a few critical strikes and ,of course, Charm. That's all.
Attack her with your ranged, Musketeers and Witchdoctors are best against her. Move vulnerable companions out of her way. If you're 'hidden' then you can attack her safely, then get the heck out of town next turn! She is easily defeated if you have defeated the other four.
Four of them have at least one group heal ( Regroup ). and Josef has a privy bomb attack, Jonathan also has Mojo Reaver.
This is my opinion only, based on many battles against the Nef-5 using all classes, if you have other insights into the Five, please share them.
Hail, Sweet Victory!
If Ben blasts me into atoms then he's failed at his job to destroying me into the tiniest pieces!

Now,another important thing about me is that Josef is the one usually running to his doom.He confronts me face to face and this enables me to throw my mojo reaver at him.

Another thing I do is that I'll send a cloaked jujued mojoed up Kan Po after Mademoiselle Finkle.

Johnny,like Josef,runs to his doom,and soulshroud doesn't benefit him as much as you'd think( kinda why i wasn't too excited when I got it...),so take him out.

Faye may be slow,but if she starts to move,she may pick up some allies on her way with the minions you summon with your doubloons,so I sometimes additionally slow her down with Widow's Touch if it is in my repertoire,mostly fighting the pther four,and biting her health off just a bit with Mournsong(and I have like five to use)

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
(cont.)

The most improbably thing happened to me,as I was down to 249 health...

I got charmed,and then Faye healed me(with Revive)and I used my group heal on them(except it didb't help them much).After that,I fizzled and when I got uncharmed my friends used regroup...

Don't know why I shared that,lol.

Anyways,I like throwing out Volcabo and Glacier.In fact,if I have nothing better to do,I just play Moo Manchu..ice,fire,ice,fire

Sorry,this post isn't meant to be helpful,it's meant to show how much fun I have had thus far,so as to encourage you guys to enjoy this fight

I mean,today,our tower run took five hours,from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.I didn't get anything worth keeping,other than housing,and I stille

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2011
This has been mentioned by several of the fan sites but I will repeat it here:

#1 Captain Blood's Jacket - this is by far one of the most useful items for the tower! This jacket allows you to summon flames in and "X" pattern that deal anywhere from 700ish-1200ish damage per flame. (depends on your spell power) These can be boosted even higher with a spell power doubloon. Lay them in front of Josef on the Nef 5 fight and watch him march to his doom. If you have a run with several people with these flames the Nef 5 won't even reach you! :-D. (Captain Blood's jacket drops from him at the end of the Miranda Dungeon)

Duelist101.com posted a really interesting strategy for the 10th floor using Gracie Conrad and her summon Golem spell to block the terror cotta's from reaching you. http://www.duelist101.com/other-p101-guides/p101-boss-guides/dog-run-clever-canines-trump-reprobate-rats/ I've tried it, it works well. I'm not sure about commbinding that strategy with the flame is the best approach (too many golems and they can block you from reaching Moo)

Doubloons doubloons doubloons! Another handy trick that I've tried is using several of the summoning doubloons. Mark of Marleybone, Mark of Aquila, Mark of Death, etc. We use these to summon "fodder" for the bad guys to beat on while we use ranged companions with lots of over watch to pick them off. I have retrained my Bonnie Annie with 3 over watches now, it is great when you are playing the sit back and wait game.

Just some of my thoughts.

~Clumsy Calamity, Charm Breaker

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Calamity PixieShad... on Oct 21, 2014 wrote:
This has been mentioned by several of the fan sites but I will repeat it here:

#1 Captain Blood's Jacket - this is by far one of the most useful items for the tower! This jacket allows you to summon flames in and "X" pattern that deal anywhere from 700ish-1200ish damage per flame. (depends on your spell power) These can be boosted even higher with a spell power doubloon. Lay them in front of Josef on the Nef 5 fight and watch him march to his doom. If you have a run with several people with these flames the Nef 5 won't even reach you! :-D. (Captain Blood's jacket drops from him at the end of the Miranda Dungeon)

Duelist101.com posted a really interesting strategy for the 10th floor using Gracie Conrad and her summon Golem spell to block the terror cotta's from reaching you. http://www.duelist101.com/other-p101-guides/p101-boss-guides/dog-run-clever-canines-trump-reprobate-rats/ I've tried it, it works well. I'm not sure about commbinding that strategy with the flame is the best approach (too many golems and they can block you from reaching Moo)

Doubloons doubloons doubloons! Another handy trick that I've tried is using several of the summoning doubloons. Mark of Marleybone, Mark of Aquila, Mark of Death, etc. We use these to summon "fodder" for the bad guys to beat on while we use ranged companions with lots of over watch to pick them off. I have retrained my Bonnie Annie with 3 over watches now, it is great when you are playing the sit back and wait game.

Just some of my thoughts.

~Clumsy Calamity, Charm Breaker
And very good thoughts, they are , too and thank you for making a link.
Thank you, everyone, for sharing your insights!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
The Hoodoo Master on Oct 21, 2014 wrote:
(cont.)

The most improbably thing happened to me,as I was down to 249 health...

I got charmed,and then Faye healed me(with Revive)and I used my group heal on them(except it didb't help them much).After that,I fizzled and when I got uncharmed my friends used regroup...

Don't know why I shared that,lol.

Anyways,I like throwing out Volcabo and Glacier.In fact,if I have nothing better to do,I just play Moo Manchu..ice,fire,ice,fire

Sorry,this post isn't meant to be helpful,it's meant to show how much fun I have had thus far,so as to encourage you guys to enjoy this fight

I mean,today,our tower run took five hours,from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM.I didn't get anything worth keeping,other than housing,and I stille
Yea that heal is a great strategy. I used that once. I was almost dead so I raced up to Faye and did a normal weapon hit on her and, you guessed it, she charmed me then healed me right up. I then slapped her silly once it wore off. Who knew that one of the Nefarious 5 could save your tush just in time to defeat them all.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Hail, Sweet Victory!
Hello Esperanza! What a great idea for a thread that will surely make Messin' w/ Moo a wee bit easier. As you know I have only been able to give the tower a go 1 time so far (with fine company I might add). But when I get some time to farm it a bit, I will surely add anything that I think may help others out with all of the Tower's Nefariousness.

Oh, I did run across this tip/strategy on Duelist101 for the 9th floor, when facing Moo's Terracotta Warrior's. Here's a link.

Basically it is a strategy where you take full advantage of the strategic support-unit that Ratbeard is, Bonnie and her long range attacks and Scatterblast power (or other musketeer companion with multiple Burst Fires), and Jack Rabbit JuJu Doubloon's to grant your entire crew all of those 'bonus attack talents'. This doubloon is one impressive piece of battle gear. A Level 65 Jack Rabbit JuJu will grant a Buccaneer, Privateer and Swashbuckler + 1 Rank of Riposte, Relentless and Blade Storm along with +2 ranks of First Strike and Repel Boarders. For a Musketeer, A Level 65 Jack Rabbit grants, +1 rank of Return Fire, Burst Fire and Double Tap along with +2 ranks of Quick Draw & Overwatch. A Witchdoctor is granted +1 rank of Counter Spell, Mojo Echo and Mojo Rising along with +2 ranks of Intuition and Redied Spell. Of course, Rank 3 is the highest for all talents....so far.

So the strategy utilizes RB's many Hold the Line talents (min. of HtL x 2 should do) and shows you how if all of the members of your group use him (and position him properly), the 4 Ratbeard's can form a barricade against the Terracotta Warrior's, stopping their offensive rush in it's tracks. If in the first move the players stagger all the Ratbeard's in a zig-zag lineup from top to bottom on the battle board, pretty much every Warrior will be stopped in it's tracks on that first turn. (of course this helps if the team is able to communicate via open chat- which can be a problem).

Bonnie Anne is their suggested #2 companion (or any other high powered Musket companion) and your team positions her in a vertical line just behind the line of Ratbeards and in front of your team's pirates. The Warriors will be halted by the barricade of Ratbeards, then the line of Bonnie's can all Overwatch and use the Scatterblast power to help stop the Warrior's from dodging, in order to unleash devastation upon them (along with help from Ratbeard). All of the Ratbeards can also use their Clear the Decks power, if needed, to push the Warriors back, creating some distance. In the meantime in that first turn, while Bonnies and Rats are having fun, you buff and shield with your pirates and then come in and mop everything up with relative ease.

Make sure to use any Jack Rabbit Juju Doubloons (in any tough fight) when they come up for all of those bonus, attacking Epic Talents!

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
This be quiet an interesting thread here.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2011
Hail, Sweet Victory!
Hello Anecorbie this is a good idea for a thread.
The first strategy I would suggest is for the pirate to Talk strategy. I have done quite a few runs now and for the most part when in with random pirates no one talks much. Sure there are nice shot and thank you when healed, but no one seems to say hey I got these guys down here or hey I'll hit this pig hard but wont kill it so would someone help me slice this bacon. By talking this out it will reduce the number of times you see a pirate shrug and say no valid targets. Most do talk when at the 5 but it seems to be more of I got this guy not a hey lets get this one then that. TALKING out strategies can help the fights go much quicker.

The next one I will mention is to give each other time. I always seem to team up with pirates who want to rush into battle. This might be to save a few minutes of the terrorbly long tower time but to run the tower well gear switching is the best. The first few floors are a cake walk and I will run them in my armor gear in case the pigs get too close. The floors with the witchdoctors on them and the fire floor it is best to gear change to resistance buffs. This way while still getting hit it doesn't hurt as much and the fires do very little damage to you. While I do ask wait a sec only one or two listen then we are late to the fight.
The next part of giving each other time is that it is best to wait until all 4 of you are in the room before joining the fight. There is a glitch that will occur if all are not in the same room. The glitch is that either you cant pick you companions or the ones you pick are not the ones that show up. I have noticed that when this occurs the other fun glitch of skipping our turns seems to happen too. This second glitch only happens randomly but a skipped turn results in less smoked pork.

The third strategy I want to discuss is to remember your training so to speak. Most of us learned the hard way to take out guns with swords and swords with guns. This remains true in the tower. I have the privateer bear and he has some many relentless and bladestorms that the old adage don't poke the bear is true. However in the higher floors I don't use him as the pigs with the axe on the statue floor can go relentless for relentless with him same with the samoori. El toro has a 50 50 chance against the samoori but while I have seen him take out a cow I've also seen him get trampled under quickly. The best way is to remember to shoot the swords or magic them and send your swords out to chop up the guns.

Now on to the clay terrors. On this floor remember to use every valor armor or bubble you have bucks use levy call. Next use a wall of rats move the rat wall a couple squares away from the squishies and let the rodents stop the incoming tide of Claymation. Then for companions talk it out with your fellow pirates and bring one el toro and a buffing companion. To be continued

Lieutenant
Sep 19, 2011
Hail, Sweet Victory!
Continued:
By talking out who is bringing which companions you can avoid having 3 el toros casting the dodgey buff. While this looks cool the buffs don't stack simply calling out dodge buff the other toro or toros can move or attack and save their buff. The dodge buff lasts 5 rounds and the clay cow battle can take longer than that so a toro could cast again after 4 rounds
Bonnie Anne has been recommended for this fight and I disagree on this. I watched to my horror as two Bonnies were smashed down in the same round ( Bonnie is my favorite companion this was hard to watch).While Bonnie has burst and double taps out the wazoo she is too squishy for the cows. The cows seem to target the weakest opponents out there and just gang up on her.

The moo floor at last. Congratulations on making it this far. Here I think the best strategy is to make use of the statues. Use the 4 rat wall again with another tough Buccaneer as there are 5 spots to take up. I think and am not sure but seems to me the battle board shrank lately. There used to be at least 3 squares from our party to the statues now there are 2. This works in our favor. You will get hit by the statues but they don't hurt that much, and move your wall of rat to the open spaces in-between the first statues. There are 5 spaces so here we need another Tough companion to fill in a space.
This creates an impassable wall and no cow can get through. Then let your rats trade blows with them and you and you other comps can sit back safely and use ranged attacks on the cows. Using this strategy you will have to heal your rats a lot but you wont get cow smashed. Now is the time to bring Bonnie back to the frey and any other witchdoctor or ranged units with good attacks.

The only other thing I wish to bring up is to use your doubloons wisely. Try to have some heal coins handy the buff ones are also great. Yes I know the doubloons never come up as we like them but I have been trying to trade toss away the ones I don't want to show up in battle. The glacier doubloon is a great one for the 5 fight and the cows of clay. Got lucky once and 2 of us tossed the glacier in the 5 battle we caught the buck an ear and Faye neither joined the fight till it was over except for them. In the clay battle having a few less cows charging at you is always a good thing.
Watch out using doubloons on moo if he is the only cow left. I was in position to take him out with an assassins strike I foolishly it turned out thought to toss a sluggish on him before I hit. He transportalated me to the other side of the board before I could hit lol.

Ok that's all the tips and strategies I have for now good luck in the tower of terror maties arrg Fair sailing

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
An interesting thing happened in the tower this afternoon! One of the team members had Moo's boots ( the ones that grant his Ice Wave attack ). He used it in the first round of the Nefarious Five battle! And while the team was celebrating and congratulating him on such a genius strategy, Jonathan casts BLACK FOG!
Has anyone seen him do this?
I was discussing this with the Hoodoo Master, when he commented, yes, he's seen Jonathan use this AND that Lynne has Chain Lightning!
So, have any of you seen the Nef-5 demonstrate extra powers beyond what they normally use?

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 22, 2014 wrote:
An interesting thing happened in the tower this afternoon! One of the team members had Moo's boots ( the ones that grant his Ice Wave attack ). He used it in the first round of the Nefarious Five battle! And while the team was celebrating and congratulating him on such a genius strategy, Jonathan casts BLACK FOG!
I was discussing this with the Hoodoo Master, when he commented, yes, he's seen Jonathan use this AND that Lynne has Chain Lightning!
So, have any of you seen the Nef-5 demonstrate extra powers beyond what they normally use?
Adding more to that,this morning,Lynne used Davy Jones's Reach.I think.May have been something else,but it's in that category!And that's not something she uses everyday.

Captain
Oct 16, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 22, 2014 wrote:
It's the same with the Terror-cotta warriors on floors 9 and 10. If you freeze them with Ice Wave, they use Leviathan's Call.......ALL OF THEM. This makes the round extremely long and hard to beat. My word of advice, DON'T USE FREEZING TIDE. Ratbeard apparently made attempts to freeze and stop enemies counter-productive.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Oct 21, 2014 wrote:
There are times when black fog can work against the team in causing a portion of it to be surrounded and badly hurt or killed because they only see one or two crews on the field. This is important for tower teams that have more than one swashbuckler. There are times not to use fog.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Yes, I agree that Black Fog should only be used in certain situations. I've noticed many SB are using it as their 'go-to' buff and not really considering what the battle consists of. For example - the corrupted animal battle in the tower ( floor six ) Fog is useless here as the corrupted foo lions have scent.
Besides, it's bad to become so dependent on one power; what do you do if it doesn't show up in your actions bar? I've had this happen ( my Black Fog is in the first slot, on the first page ), Black Fog didn't show or any of my hides, I was forced to improvise and fight the Nefarious unhidden!

Ensign
May 21, 2012
Speaking for the Musketeers and anyone with a Blood jacket (looking at you Swashbucklers and Bucks).... let our traps work for you. Don't just rush in, you draw attention to yourself, and keep those bad guys from running themselves to death through the fields of nasty stuff we put out. Use your turn to buff up, there's plenty to go around.

Some other miscellaneous things off the top of my head-
- First and foremost, discuss up front if anyone intends to drink the potion. Head off the headaches and wasted time, and arguments.

- There are no secret methods, processes, or orders to do things that guarantee you any kind of drop. It's all luck, so just cross your fingers and hope for the best on the Nef5.

- As a general rule, Jackrabbit Juju isn't a good idea, on any floor. First, Double Tap 3 is bugged (unless this is fixed?), so any companion or player that has lvl2 gets affected by the bug. Also, putting Overwatch and Readied Spell on all the ranged people can backfire, especially on the Nef5 floor. Just please, don't use it.

- 3rd floor - don't break the statues if you can help it. Each one has a corrupted lion in it, and makes the fight that much longer. (You don't get any higher chance of an egg dropping for fighting them, see above.)

- Fire floor - Moo's Hat is a godsend here. If you can use it the first turn, it keeps the necromancers from being able to see you to Mojo Blast. If you can't or don't have it, don't cluster together, you'll draw every single one of them during that opening salvo. A few unlucky crits and you can have first round casualties.

- Samoorais & Musketeers - Magic damage is nice here, it won't trigger True Grit. Bench your musketeers, unless they themselves have True Grit 3, which has a chance to stun the enemy and break those attack chains.

-Nef 5 - plenty said here already, a lot of good stuff. One big thing though - IF YOU ARE CHARMED, DO NOT USE DOUBLOONS. (They affect the enemy team instead of yours.)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
jeffreyskullpants on Oct 22, 2014 wrote:
Hello Anecorbie this is a good idea for a thread.
The first strategy I would suggest is for the pirate to Talk strategy. I have done quite a few runs now and for the most part when in with random pirates no one talks much. Sure there are nice shot and thank you when healed, but no one seems to say hey I got these guys down here or hey I'll hit this pig hard but wont kill it so would someone help me slice this bacon. By talking this out it will reduce the number of times you see a pirate shrug and say no valid targets. Most do talk when at the 5 but it seems to be more of I got this guy not a hey lets get this one then that. TALKING out strategies can help the fights go much quicker.

The next one I will mention is to give each other time. I always seem to team up with pirates who want to rush into battle. This might be to save a few minutes of the terrorbly long tower time but to run the tower well gear switching is the best. The first few floors are a cake walk and I will run them in my armor gear in case the pigs get too close. The floors with the witchdoctors on them and the fire floor it is best to gear change to resistance buffs. This way while still getting hit it doesn't hurt as much and the fires do very little damage to you. While I do ask wait a sec only one or two listen then we are late to the fight.
The next part of giving each other time is that it is best to wait until all 4 of you are in the room before joining the fight. There is a glitch that will occur if all are not in the same room. The glitch is that either you cant pick you companions or the ones you pick are not the ones that show up. I have noticed that when this occurs the other fun glitch of skipping our turns seems to happen too. This second glitch only happens randomly but a skipped turn results in less smoked pork.

The third strategy I want to discuss is to remember your training so to speak. Most of us learned the hard way to take out guns with swords and swords with guns. This remains true in the tower. I have the privateer bear and he has some many relentless and bladestorms that the old adage don't poke the bear is true. However in the higher floors I don't use him as the pigs with the axe on the statue floor can go relentless for relentless with him same with the samoori. El toro has a 50 50 chance against the samoori but while I have seen him take out a cow I've also seen him get trampled under quickly. The best way is to remember to shoot the swords or magic them and send your swords out to chop up the guns.

Now on to the clay terrors. On this floor remember to use every valor armor or bubble you have bucks use levy call. Next use a wall of rats move the rat wall a couple squares away from the squishies and let the rodents stop the incoming tide of Claymation. Then for companions talk it out with your fellow pirates and bring one el toro and a buffing companion. To be continued
Really well said, well thought out and delightfully written. You made me think and smile a lot.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
The Hoodoo Master on Oct 23, 2014 wrote:
Adding more to that,this morning,Lynne used Davy Jones's Reach.I think.May have been something else,but it's in that category!And that's not something she uses everyday.
Me thinks a certain Rat has been nefariously tinkering.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
DocJG on Oct 23, 2014 wrote:
Speaking for the Musketeers and anyone with a Blood jacket (looking at you Swashbucklers and Bucks).... let our traps work for you. Don't just rush in, you draw attention to yourself, and keep those bad guys from running themselves to death through the fields of nasty stuff we put out. Use your turn to buff up, there's plenty to go around.

- First and foremost, discuss up front if anyone intends to drink the potion. Head off the headaches and wasted time, and arguments.

- There are no secret methods, processes, or orders to do things that guarantee you any kind of drop. It's all luck, so just cross your fingers and hope for the best on the Nef5.

- As a general rule, Jackrabbit Juju isn't a good idea, on any floor. First, Double Tap 3 is bugged (unless this is fixed?), so any companion or player that has lvl2 gets affected by the bug. Also, putting Overwatch and Readied Spell on all the ranged people can backfire, especially on the Nef5 floor. Just please, don't use it.

- 3rd floor - don't break the statues if you can help it. Each one has a corrupted lion in it, and makes the fight that much longer. (You don't get any higher chance of an egg dropping for fighting them, see above.)

- Fire floor - Moo's Hat is a godsend here. If you can use it the first turn, it keeps the necromancers from being able to see you to Mojo Blast. If you can't or don't have it, don't cluster together, you'll draw every single one of them during that opening salvo. A few unlucky crits and you can have first round casualties.

- Samoorais & Musketeers - Magic damage is nice here, it won't trigger True Grit. Bench your musketeers, unless they themselves have True Grit 3, which has a chance to stun the enemy and break those attack chains.

-Nef 5 - plenty said here already, a lot of good stuff. One big thing though - IF YOU ARE CHARMED, DO NOT USE DOUBLOONS. (They affect the enemy team instead of yours.)
Well thought out and said. Yar infinity for your first paragraph. Let's use each other's strengths here. It is what teamwork is all about.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DocJG on Oct 23, 2014 wrote:

The following isn't intended to offend anyone.:
Speaking as a SB, let me just clear the air about how I feel about Blood's Jacket and Musketeer's bombs/cannonballs. They seriously interfere with my attacks! Specifically, when a cannonball explodes, I can't step on that square! ( I don't know if this is a bug or intended )
And Bloods jacket in a small space is an absolute headache, I'm sorry, I just don't like it and some ( not all ) are using it as a one trick pony!
Jackrabbit Juju is a curse on SB's too, however I've seen it affect buccaneer companions favorably, still a little on the fence about it and it's usefulness.
Aha! The Foo Lion Statue room, ( floor three ) A statue always gets broken, don't get upset when it happens!
Statues get broken:
1. Accidentally by players, I avoid Dance & Gambit of Steel here.
2. By pets- when there is no viable target for a pet, it will attack an obstacle. Now pets are beginning to grant powers or talents, they've become necessary to many players. Don't ask me to un-equip my pet, because I won't.
3. By summoned minions- as with pets, minions without a target will attack an obstacle. This at least, is in the player's hands.
4. By Inoshishi Pigs!, if you manage to avoid the first three reasons of statue breakage; this will happen, if the Pigs have no target, they will attack the statues, The necromancers will attack anyone standing next to a statue.
Yes, an extra Foo Lion will add time to a battle ( as any extra enemy ) but they aren't very strong or dangerous.

Ensign
May 21, 2012
anecorbie on Oct 23, 2014 wrote:
The following isn't intended to offend anyone.:
Speaking as a SB, let me just clear the air about how I feel about Blood's Jacket and Musketeer's bombs/cannonballs. They seriously interfere with my attacks! Specifically, when a cannonball explodes, I can't step on that square! ( I don't know if this is a bug or intended )
And Bloods jacket in a small space is an absolute headache, I'm sorry, I just don't like it and some ( not all ) are using it as a one trick pony!
Jackrabbit Juju is a curse on SB's too, however I've seen it affect buccaneer companions favorably, still a little on the fence about it and it's usefulness.
Aha! The Foo Lion Statue room, ( floor three ) A statue always gets broken, don't get upset when it happens!
Statues get broken:
1. Accidentally by players, I avoid Dance & Gambit of Steel here.
2. By pets- when there is no viable target for a pet, it will attack an obstacle. Now pets are beginning to grant powers or talents, they've become necessary to many players. Don't ask me to un-equip my pet, because I won't.
3. By summoned minions- as with pets, minions without a target will attack an obstacle. This at least, is in the player's hands.
4. By Inoshishi Pigs!, if you manage to avoid the first three reasons of statue breakage; this will happen, if the Pigs have no target, they will attack the statues, The necromancers will attack anyone standing next to a statue.
Yes, an extra Foo Lion will add time to a battle ( as any extra enemy ) but they aren't very strong or dangerous.
Yeah, I sort of wish we could get a fix on the "shoving" bombs. I do like them, but the bugged squares is a big problem, especially if you don't notice your order didn't take for that player/companion. I've taken to discarding that one on all floors but Nef5, unless I have Blood flames up first. It does have an unintentional, buggy upside though, in that enemies seem to occupy 2 squares at once after bugging. (The square they visually occupy, and the one they are really in) In these instances, area attacks can hit them twice, I've seen it happen with a further salvo of bombs or area musketeer attacks.

Developer
warriorscreed on Oct 23, 2014 wrote:
It's the same with the Terror-cotta warriors on floors 9 and 10. If you freeze them with Ice Wave, they use Leviathan's Call.......ALL OF THEM. This makes the round extremely long and hard to beat. My word of advice, DON'T USE FREEZING TIDE. Ratbeard apparently made attempts to freeze and stop enemies counter-productive.
Ratbeard apparently made attempts to freeze and stop enemies counter-productive.

What a jerk!

Me thinks a certain Rat has been nefariously tinkering.

Not at all! They've had all these powers since the beginning-- I'm as surprised as anyone else to see how the AI evaluates its moves and pulls out powers that it rarely uses.

I mean, not completely surprised, of course, I helped design the AI after all, but it's complex-- and each battle is unpredictable-- so I can't accurately predict how the AI will run through all its millions of possible moves.

It seems to be thinking on an entirely new level...

Come to think of it, this might be a good time to mention how much I love machines and that I welcome our new robot overlords.