Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Tolkien reference?

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
I notice as I was watching a video of Marleybone that you have to help fix the War Golems, as commanded by Colonel Smeagle. Smeagle/Gollum? Was it intentional or am I just noticing this?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Witty Gavin on Jan 23, 2014 wrote:
I notice as I was watching a video of Marleybone that you have to help fix the War Golems, as commanded by Colonel Smeagle. Smeagle/Gollum? Was it intentional or am I just noticing this?
Knowing Blind Mew that is just one of his more subtle winks that he has inserted and is now twirling in his chair because someone finally noticed it.

Lieutenant
Jun 23, 2012
I hadn't thought of that, but now that it has been pointed out to me, I must say that Blind Mew is a genius! I wonder what he will surprise us with next.

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
I just did that and I'm a huge lord of the rings fan, ugh if frodo were here he would slap me silly. Thx for pointing it out, now I can call my golem well Gollum every time I make him come out I can say, "Gollum I choose you! ( also like Pokemon) Defend the precious!!!" I could imagine the expression on my friends faces as I say that, of course I will have allot of explaining to do.

- Jack nightgale lvl 61 buccaneer

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
Based of mechanov, A great world by Jack Morgan:

One gear to rule them all, one gear to bind them,
One gear to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...
In the land of Valenica, where the shadows lie...

I posed this somewhere else I forgot, but I think P101 could have a big LotR reference here. Consider all these:

-Kane is the dark lord Sauron, the armada are his orcs
-The elite court are the Nazgul
-The spiral is middle earth, Skull Island is the shire, And Valencia+Avernus is Mordor
-We are Frodo Baggins, our crew are the fellow ship of the ring.
-We could somehow gain something that will destroy Kane, but we have to destroy it in the dark center of Valencia.
-El Toro is Aragon (and Mustang Sally is his wife, Arwen), Bonnie is Legolas, Ratbeard is Gimli, and crab hermit is Saruman, and Blind Mew is Gandalf.

For more deeper Tolkien fans, such as me, there are some more hidden references, but they are vague so I won't post them. Now if only there was a giant red fire breathing dragon living under a mountain...

Developer
Golden Guardian on Jan 27, 2014 wrote:
Based of mechanov, A great world by Jack Morgan:

One gear to rule them all, one gear to bind them,
One gear to bring them all and in the darkness bind them...
In the land of Valenica, where the shadows lie...

I posed this somewhere else I forgot, but I think P101 could have a big LotR reference here. Consider all these:

-Kane is the dark lord Sauron, the armada are his orcs
-The elite court are the Nazgul
-The spiral is middle earth, Skull Island is the shire, And Valencia+Avernus is Mordor
-We are Frodo Baggins, our crew are the fellow ship of the ring.
-We could somehow gain something that will destroy Kane, but we have to destroy it in the dark center of Valencia.
-El Toro is Aragon (and Mustang Sally is his wife, Arwen), Bonnie is Legolas, Ratbeard is Gimli, and crab hermit is Saruman, and Blind Mew is Gandalf.

For more deeper Tolkien fans, such as me, there are some more hidden references, but they are vague so I won't post them. Now if only there was a giant red fire breathing dragon living under a mountain...
I think you're overthinking things a little. Ultimately, Kane and Sauron are both big bads, and they both have a lair that's dangerous and hard to get to. Heck, Sauron doesn't even have a body, and Kane does.

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
Haha! It's funny to see what some people come up with. I forget is there a page for outside-game references? I thought there was and I can't find it...

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
Tolkien reference? I don't see any Tolkien references around here. Nope, none at all. Now if you'll excuse me it's time for second breakfast, Pip.

Loyal Sam Underhill

Petty Officer
Jun 10, 2013
Gollum's name was Sméagol, not Smeagle.

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
Burly Bart Bellamy on Jan 28, 2014 wrote:
Gollum's name was Sméagol, not Smeagle.
Haha! Good catch. I was thinking of the Admiral's name, not the spelling of Gollum. I wonder what other surprises Blind Mew will have in store for us...