Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Tips for Smuggler's Arena(Challenge)

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
I saw somebody posted "Tips for Manchu Tower" and I was very touched by it. So I figured I might give some advice to people who want to know what Smuggler's Arena is going to be all about before purchasing, or to people who might be struggling a bit. Now, unfortunately, I don't have a lot of the first hand experience that some other people might have with the Arena. So if you've been through a few(or more) times, then please post, or correct me if I have something unadvisable.

1. Bring in max Mojo Potions. While there aren't breaks, there's a quick moment in between the matches when you can use a potion.
2. Your group determines your difficulty. Ratbeard has said somewhere(I can't remember which thread) that the difficulty of the dungeon is determined by the number of people with you in the dungeon. So the more people you bring with you, the easier it gets, and vice versa.
-Also, the enemies are geared towards the strongest member of your team. If you bring a level 65, and three level 1s, they'll be easy pickings for the massive amount of level 65 enemies(and higher if they get past the first level)
3. Keep in mind that the enemies have powers. Again, Ratbeard said somewhere that it looks like the enemies get a lot of crits, but they actually have more powers than your average enemies but they use the same animation as the crit animation.
-Also, some enemies have bombs
4. Having a on your team is a good idea for their bombs. Also Blood Flames help a lot.
5. Hide will be one of your closest friends. Being able to get the high amounts of damage off will help a lot.
6. BRING HEALS!! I can't emphasize this enough. You'll be doing ten straight battles with three potions. Having a will help a ton for not only their buffs, but their heals. Even if there's a in the group, bring at least one heal with you. You might even want to bring two.
7. Bring a with you(optional). Even though the extra summons do small amounts of damage, everything counts. Also, having Nefarious Staff and/or Imperial Robes of Moo Manchu would be nice to have. It's 9 additional allies that get off a good amount of damage. However, having the Staff and Robes aren't absolutely necessary. It's just really nice to have with you.
8. To my friends, I can't recommend frenzying a lot. You'll want all the health you can have. If it's the last battle and you know it's a guarantied kill, then sure. If you have an additional potion, maybe. I can't say I recommend it because of all the health you may lose, but that's up to your discretion based off of the situation.
9 To my friends, don't be afraid to drop a poison or two while hidden. I wouldn't stack too many poisons, or the enemies will start ganging up on your friends and getting a lot of hits off on them. But if the ideal setting is open, then go for a poison.
These aren't in order of importance. Again, to the more experienced in Smuggler's, add anything I missed or correct something unadvised.
Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Very good, Fearless Dolan! And I will add only that at least two of the team should focus on taking down the privateer opponents, as they heal constantly.
If you can, try to stop the Musketeers from building a fortress of bombs around you.
Every two rounds Scriptop ( the dog ) makes a few snarky comments, this is a good time to use your potions.
The second half of the Arena bout is extremely tough as the opponents will be two - ten levels above you, no lie I was amazed that the Aquilan enemies in part two were level 75!

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
FireMorgan13 on Apr 10, 2015 wrote:
I saw somebody posted "Tips for Manchu Tower" and I was very touched by it. So I figured I might give some advice to people who want to know what Smuggler's Arena is going to be all about before purchasing, or to people who might be struggling a bit. Now, unfortunately, I don't have a lot of the first hand experience that some other people might have with the Arena. So if you've been through a few(or more) times, then please post, or correct me if I have something unadvisable.

1. Bring in max Mojo Potions. While there aren't breaks, there's a quick moment in between the matches when you can use a potion.
2. Your group determines your difficulty. Ratbeard has said somewhere(I can't remember which thread) that the difficulty of the dungeon is determined by the number of people with you in the dungeon. So the more people you bring with you, the easier it gets, and vice versa.
-Also, the enemies are geared towards the strongest member of your team. If you bring a level 65, and three level 1s, they'll be easy pickings for the massive amount of level 65 enemies(and higher if they get past the first level)
3. Keep in mind that the enemies have powers. Again, Ratbeard said somewhere that it looks like the enemies get a lot of crits, but they actually have more powers than your average enemies but they use the same animation as the crit animation.
-Also, some enemies have bombs
4. Having a on your team is a good idea for their bombs. Also Blood Flames help a lot.
5. Hide will be one of your closest friends. Being able to get the high amounts of damage off will help a lot.
6. BRING HEALS!! I can't emphasize this enough. You'll be doing ten straight battles with three potions. Having a will help a ton for not only their buffs, but their heals. Even if there's a in the group, bring at least one heal with you. You might even want to bring two.
7. Bring a with you(optional). Even though the extra summons do small amounts of damage, everything counts. Also, having Nefarious Staff and/or Imperial Robes of Moo Manchu would be nice to have. It's 9 additional allies that get off a good amount of damage. However, having the Staff and Robes aren't absolutely necessary. It's just really nice to have with you.
8. To my friends, I can't recommend frenzying a lot. You'll want all the health you can have. If it's the last battle and you know it's a guarantied kill, then sure. If you have an additional potion, maybe. I can't say I recommend it because of all the health you may lose, but that's up to your discretion based off of the situation.
9 To my friends, don't be afraid to drop a poison or two while hidden. I wouldn't stack too many poisons, or the enemies will start ganging up on your friends and getting a lot of hits off on them. But if the ideal setting is open, then go for a poison.
These aren't in order of importance. Again, to the more experienced in Smuggler's, add anything I missed or correct something unadvised.
Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
Good tips all. One I would add is to coordinate attacks with your team. You need to take out as many opponents as possible each round. Talk to each other and focus on two or three enemies whenever you're able. The sooner you eliminate an enemy, the less damage you'll take. Another thing that works well for me and those I have done the arena with is to take out the heavy damage dealers first. The Yakooza in the Mooshu stage and the big cat in the Marleybone stage would be examples of some heavy hitters. Being as how I usually choose my Swashbuckler for the arena, this task usually falls to me. Also, spread your team out a little to avoid being hit as a group by the bombs and to avoid getting trapped. As stated in the previous post...nowhere is health as important as in the arena. At least that's what I think. But it's a dangerous thing, thinking is. I shouldn't do so much of it :D

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
Use the enemy privateers to your advantage. If you can charm them their heals help.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
Oh, I also just remembered: Make sure you are happy with your power arrangement & your equipment, since you won't be able to change either of those midway into the challenge.

Also, if you get past all 10 fights, you can't do challenge mode for 2 hours.

Practice mode gives you nothing, except a taste of how strong the Arena is going to be. I honestly would always do challenge mode, but that's a personal choice.

This part really isn't a tip, but there're some badges awarded from Smuggler's Arena:
1. Arena Ace(get past the first 5 fights)
2. Club Champion(get past all 10 fights)
3. Arena Journeyman(get through the whole of Smuggler's Arena 10 times.)
There might be more but these are all I could find.

Lieutenant
Feb 13, 2013
I have done the arena a lot and one of the best way I found for soloing it as a swashbuckler is to use fog first turn and don't move any companions and don't use any thing that could get there hide removed after you have fogged the mobs in the arena will not know wear you are so after the turn you fogged and the mobs basically passed by running around randomly your going to want to place blood flames what I have noticed is that the mobs seem to think the flames are the only targets on the battle board so they run toward the flames witch kills a lot of them also if there is a musket boss try to place it far away from the muskets range so a buck boss will charge into the flames and die don't be annoyed if a musket uses aoe hits on flames because this will happen from what I have seen is the musket never takes out all the flames in one turn witch means you can get that free damage on the mobs that run to the flames that are left, while in fog and placing flames have your companions use buffs of any kind that will last at least to the turn they hit. if fog dose not show first turn discard a lot of things its better to lose some things in the round and make it last a little longer then losing the battle if you can get a pet with charming gaze 3 that would also be helpful so while in fog if it spawns the mobs will go after it witch could get them charmed also don't place flames if any pets or summons on your team can be seen by the mobs once its on the last turn of fog make all your companions go for any swashbuckler mobs if there are no swashbuckler mobs go for muskets if no muskets go for bucks if no bucks go for witch dr and if no witch dr go for privy I say go for any privys last out of all classes is because they don't make it that hard and you could solo them with your high dodge and if your gaze pet if you have one with you charms one that could be some free heals. if you need time after the round use a coin gold bath it will give you a little time after the round