The Scarcity of Humans - Explained!

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8687
Everywhere you travel around the Spiral; each world has a dominate species - MooShu ( Bovines & pigs ) Skull Island ( Sharks & Rats ), etc.
But where are all the humans?
Well, I have a speculation to lay down for y'all. There are few humans because we're DELICIOUS!
Remember your quests in Wizard101? How many Monster Bosses threaten to eat you? Even here in Pirate101, there's a tengu who wants to make you into soup! There's even a Cutthroat who wants to have you for dinner ( and NOT as his guest )!
That's why there are so few humans around the Spiral - we're an endangered species!

Esperanza Devereaux ( survivor )

Petty Officer
Apr 04, 2015
85
That explained all

So i'm a ''survivor'' ?
This is just getting confusing,
but explaining

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
177
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1309
I ruminated on this very subject a year or so back, and raised the Soylent Green issue. Also, please note the following very skewed ratios:

  • orphan human kids to adult humans: 4000,000 to 1*
  • living humans to human skeletons: I have not idea, but there are a lot more of them than there are of us!

So, someone is killing the humans when they become adults, recycling them (waste not, want not); they may or may not be consuming the fleshy bits left over by the skeletonization process - you make a convincing case that those bits are not going to waste...

-Indigo

*Assuming that the c. 5 million players average 2.4 characters each and that there are c. 30 NPC humans running around.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1076
Some of you need to start reading rather different books or watching different movies. Or break out your blankie from when you were wee small tots -- your world view is downright scary.

Although I do appreciate that there is no waste when creating those skellies...

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
608
Hmmm.... that does make sense.

Remember our parents did have the choice of getting eaten by a squid.

Gunner's Mate
Oct 22, 2015
223
Another theory is nuclear war. Notice the near lack of ground in the game and instead of oceans you have space. AND what if humans became mutated unto theses other things. And all land marks and areas in the game resemble actual places on earth and not all of them have been contacted yet. Darkmoor, krokotopia, zafarua, raja , polaris, el dorado, etc... might not be reachable yet because they have been launched so far into space that very few ships can go there. And spiral is actually either the galaxy or the radius in which the worlds were launched when the earth blew up.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
Taste is like pork........

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Lieutenant
Dec 19, 2010
113
Humans appear to be the dominant species in wizard city. Maybe we just don't go out much.

Seriously, you can't swing a firecat in wizard city without hitting a human.

The Grin Reaper

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8687
The Grin Reaper on Dec 19, 2015 wrote:
Humans appear to be the dominant species in wizard city. Maybe we just don't go out much.

Seriously, you can't swing a firecat in wizard city without hitting a human.

The Grin Reaper
True enough, there's Diego and a couple of Badgers ( we're not counting mobs, right? )

Bosun
Dec 24, 2009
394
anecorbie on Dec 18, 2015 wrote:
Everywhere you travel around the Spiral; each world has a dominate species - MooShu ( Bovines & pigs ) Skull Island ( Sharks & Rats ), etc.
But where are all the humans?
Well, I have a speculation to lay down for y'all. There are few humans because we're DELICIOUS!
Remember your quests in Wizard101? How many Monster Bosses threaten to eat you? Even here in Pirate101, there's a tengu who wants to make you into soup! There's even a Cutthroat who wants to have you for dinner ( and NOT as his guest )!
That's why there are so few humans around the Spiral - we're an endangered species!

Esperanza Devereaux ( survivor )
That would make a lot of sense! Survival of the fittest right? It does make you wonder why each species took their specific world. i.e. Why the bovines and pigs are dominant in Mooshu rather than maybe unicorns or monkeys.

Let's not forget Dragonsypre though. There were some human ghosts there during the wizards' visit. Albeit, far less than that of the Drakes but still...

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
922
FireMorgan13 on Dec 22, 2015 wrote:
That would make a lot of sense! Survival of the fittest right? It does make you wonder why each species took their specific world. i.e. Why the bovines and pigs are dominant in Mooshu rather than maybe unicorns or monkeys.

Let's not forget Dragonsypre though. There were some human ghosts there during the wizards' visit. Albeit, far less than that of the Drakes but still...

Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
Okay, first (and the reason for the quote) Survival of the fittest refers to which species are best adapted for their environment, it does not refer to physical fitness or strength.

I think we simply haven't found the human home world yet. I'm sure it's out there somewhere. But I habe noticed that Humans seem to make up the majority of wizards, heroes, and adventurers. Now this doesn't say anything about the other species of the Spiral, but it may give a reason for the human's apparently short lifespan. Thise who live dangerously, often don't live very long.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
922
(I forgot to add this into my last post.)
I also think that the number of assumed human orphans is higher than the actual number of orphans. Yes, the pirate kids are orphans, the proof is right in the pudding or at least in the origin stories.

But, there is no proof that the wizardlings are orphans. In fact the wizardlings origin story says that they all come from some world the lies far away on the very edge of the Spiral, are world so remote that it has lost contact with the rest of the Spiral and no longer believes in magic. So there, the human home world exists, it's just hasn't been found yet.

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
433
CdeWinter on Dec 23, 2015 wrote:
(I forgot to add this into my last post.)
I also think that the number of assumed human orphans is higher than the actual number of orphans. Yes, the pirate kids are orphans, the proof is right in the pudding or at least in the origin stories.

But, there is no proof that the wizardlings are orphans. In fact the wizardlings origin story says that they all come from some world the lies far away on the very edge of the Spiral, are world so remote that it has lost contact with the rest of the Spiral and no longer believes in magic. So there, the human home world exists, it's just hasn't been found yet.
That's interesting. When I created my wizard I thought the world that doesn't believe in magic was Earth.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
922
Fearless Finnagan on Dec 23, 2015 wrote:
That's interesting. When I created my wizard I thought the world that doesn't believe in magic was Earth.
Well, then perhaps that is the explanation for the scarcity of humans in the Spiral. Humans are not native to the Spiral, but are pulled into the Spiral by magic. In a way similar to the Telmarines in C.S. Lewis' Prince Caspian, perhaps all humans in the Spiral are descended from Earthlings that have been transported into the Spiral.
And there is no human home world.

However, I personally would still like to think that there is a human home world somewhere out on the furthest reaches of the Spiral.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
52
Pirate101 fan on Dec 19, 2015 wrote:
Another theory is nuclear war. Notice the near lack of ground in the game and instead of oceans you have space. AND what if humans became mutated unto theses other things. And all land marks and areas in the game resemble actual places on earth and not all of them have been contacted yet. Darkmoor, krokotopia, zafarua, raja , polaris, el dorado, etc... might not be reachable yet because they have been launched so far into space that very few ships can go there. And spiral is actually either the galaxy or the radius in which the worlds were launched when the earth blew up.
It was a war all right, fought not with nuclear warheads but with Titans. The Three Titans ultimately shattered the Firstworld in their battle, and Grandmother Raven and Bartleby wove the remains into a Spiral of worlds.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
856
You guys are dark...sheesh.

I do agree with Anecorbie though-- a lot of bosses from Zafaria through Azteca (and probably Khrysalis, I'm not sure; I've never been there) seem to be delighted at the chance to take a bite out of our wizard or keep some part of them, whether it be our eyeballs or flayed skin, as a trophy.

As for there being a human home world, I'm pretty sure there is one besides Wizard City. The character creation for Wizard101 implies that your character is from "a realm that does not believe in magic": Earth. (I believe that this has been mentioned previously in this thread.) On the other hand, Pirate101's creation and tutorial leans the opposite direction; your pirate and their parents are Spiral citizens.

I wonder if something about the Spiral (besides the multitude of nasties wanting to make a meal out of us) makes it difficult for humans to survive. Perhaps the environments themselves or the atmospheres are hostile to human systems? The many other races of the Spiral could have adapted to their various homes over time. Maybe some places are more volatile to certain species than to others, which could explain why humans are only seen in higher numbers in Skull Island and Wizard City, besides the obvious explanation of "they're the game hubs!", and why certain races make up the majority of the population of each world.

Petty Officer
Feb 27, 2009
91
I'm trying to put where humans are in perspective.

Worlds with notable human populations:
Wizard City
Skull Island
Marleybone
Avalon

Worlds with formally notable amounts of humans:
Cool Ranch
Dragonspyre (yes, there are a few left, but we could count all who aren't spirits on our toes.)
Mooshu
Valencia (?)
Aquila
More possibly....

Quentin Davenport, lvl 65
Marcus Davenport, lvl 43

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8687
MistyDragon13 on Dec 26, 2015 wrote:
You guys are dark...sheesh.

I do agree with Anecorbie though-- a lot of bosses from Zafaria through Azteca (and probably Khrysalis, I'm not sure; I've never been there) seem to be delighted at the chance to take a bite out of our wizard or keep some part of them, whether it be our eyeballs or flayed skin, as a trophy.

As for there being a human home world, I'm pretty sure there is one besides Wizard City. The character creation for Wizard101 implies that your character is from "a realm that does not believe in magic": Earth. (I believe that this has been mentioned previously in this thread.) On the other hand, Pirate101's creation and tutorial leans the opposite direction; your pirate and their parents are Spiral citizens.

I wonder if something about the Spiral (besides the multitude of nasties wanting to make a meal out of us) makes it difficult for humans to survive. Perhaps the environments themselves or the atmospheres are hostile to human systems? The many other races of the Spiral could have adapted to their various homes over time. Maybe some places are more volatile to certain species than to others, which could explain why humans are only seen in higher numbers in Skull Island and Wizard City, besides the obvious explanation of "they're the game hubs!", and why certain races make up the majority of the population of each world.
Take this one interesting "fact" from Ratbeard's 3rd promotion: as we all know ( hopefully no spoilers for anyone from this ), Ratbeard must change Scrouge's heart. Scrouge is a very old dog, ancient, wrinkled, withered; yet we speak to an associate who remembers Scrouge as a young man and Mrs. Fizwick ( ? ) remembers him in Old Boz orphanage. Obviously, Dogs apparently have long lives.
Capt. Steed is also rather mature. Unicorns must also have a longer life span than humans.
So, factoring in that Humans are generally curious and adventurous as well as delicious, I believe we have a good theory for the scarcity of humans in the Spiral.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1309
Another weird thing to go with the large number of human kids (100% orphans), is that with the exception of the Marlybonian dogs and cats, no other species appears to have children. And - wait for it - the Marlybonian kids are also all orphans...

Commodore
May 31, 2009
856
Indigo Ring on Dec 27, 2015 wrote:
Another weird thing to go with the large number of human kids (100% orphans), is that with the exception of the Marlybonian dogs and cats, no other species appears to have children. And - wait for it - the Marlybonian kids are also all orphans...
We met Kisai Shugenja in Wizard101 Wysteria, and he appeared to be in his teens, so that in a roundabout way proves that there are some younger cows wandering about MooShu. Maybe the more privileged children go to school on islands we haven't yet visited and/or will never see.

Also, there's Timmy (I think. It's been a while.), the little chicken kid in Cool Ranch.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
8687
MistyDragon13 on Dec 28, 2015 wrote:
We met Kisai Shugenja in Wizard101 Wysteria, and he appeared to be in his teens, so that in a roundabout way proves that there are some younger cows wandering about MooShu. Maybe the more privileged children go to school on islands we haven't yet visited and/or will never see.

Also, there's Timmy (I think. It's been a while.), the little chicken kid in Cool Ranch.
Yes, his name is Timmy and in a Puppet Show ( I forget if it's about El Toro or the Magnificent Seven ) you can see a little chicken boy drawing a picture and giving it to his little sister.
Maybe wise parents are hiding their young from us, we are pirates after all ( such a bad influence )!
Oh and don't forget that Wysteria is populated by Pig students exclusively. Then of course there's my favorite Spiral Cup competitor, Nalia Dunestrider from Mirage, she seemed a teen also. . I would love to have a cat like that on my crew.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
922
Indigo Ring on Dec 27, 2015 wrote:
Another weird thing to go with the large number of human kids (100% orphans), is that with the exception of the Marlybonian dogs and cats, no other species appears to have children. And - wait for it - the Marlybonian kids are also all orphans...
But, are all the Malrybonian kids orphans? Do they all run around introducing themselves as Orphan Jack, Orphan Frannie, and such? There are several that are unnamed, I'd still say that there are less orphans in the Spiral than what first appears.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
Then our parents probably got eaten from the mutiny!

I think that us humans are too spread thin and just have started to die out, a very small majority of us reside in skull island but that can't be our world

Maybe we can found a world never travelled to before in the wind stone mines of Aquila and we found a new realm

Ensign
Nov 15, 2008
6
I was just questing in Wizard101 and I saw something. Chronius says, "They told me all the humans were slain" which shows that there must have been a mass killing of humans somewhere in the spiral! WOAH!