Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

The Problems With Menu Chat

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
Recently Ki updated menu chat over on the other side of the spiral in Wizard 101, maybe later in 2018 the Pirate 101 side of the spiral will get a menu chat update. There are several problems with menu chat as is like being unable to tell somebody you have full inventory, or being unable to tell somebody you don't have enough gold for a pet morph, or being unable to tell somebody you have another pirate you would like them to friend. Correct me if I am wrong on any of that. Anyway, hopefully Ki can fix that but I got to thinking, what if Ki added another level of chat to their system. As it is now the current chat system is:

Menu Chat: Moderated Texts
Text Chat: Filtered Texts
Open Chat: Almost Everything Goes

I feel this current system doesn't give parents enough choices to ensure their kid has fun in the game but is also safe from online threats. If I had a child below teenage years playing this game I would be forced into picking wither to give them menu chat that is safe but not very functional, or text chat which is filtered but not filtered enough bad words can never pass through it. That would be a hard choice to make which is why I am proposing KI add another level to the chat system. My idea is for Ki to create a level called "Limited Chat" limited chat would fall between menu chat and text chat. in Limited Chat players could type words but the dictionary for limited chat would be small in comparison to the dictionary for text chat. Limited chat's dictionary would be limited to needed words for gameplay(companion names, pet names, pirate names, npc names, ship names, and maybe a few fun words), in limited chat players could combine the available words freely to make sentences but with the enhanced filter it should ensure no bad words slip through. If Ki listened to this idea here is how their new chat system would look like:

Limited Chat: Highly Filtered Texts

I think parents would be happy to have another choice when it comes to chat. Any thoughts on my idea?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Feb 14, 2018 wrote:
Recently Ki updated menu chat over on the other side of the spiral in Wizard 101, maybe later in 2018 the Pirate 101 side of the spiral will get a menu chat update. There are several problems with menu chat as is like being unable to tell somebody you have full inventory, or being unable to tell somebody you don't have enough gold for a pet morph, or being unable to tell somebody you have another pirate you would like them to friend. Correct me if I am wrong on any of that. Anyway, hopefully Ki can fix that but I got to thinking, what if Ki added another level of chat to their system. As it is now the current chat system is:

I feel this current system doesn't give parents enough choices to ensure their kid has fun in the game but is also safe from online threats. If I had a child below teenage years playing this game I would be forced into picking wither to give them menu chat that is safe but not very functional, or text chat which is filtered but not filtered enough bad words can never pass through it. That would be a hard choice to make which is why I am proposing KI add another level to the chat system. My idea is for Ki to create a level called "Limited Chat" limited chat would fall between menu chat and text chat. in Limited Chat players could type words but the dictionary for limited chat would be small in comparison to the dictionary for text chat. Limited chat's dictionary would be limited to needed words for gameplay(companion names, pet names, pirate names, npc names, ship names, and maybe a few fun words), in limited chat players could combine the available words freely to make sentences but with the enhanced filter it should ensure no bad words slip through. If Ki listened to this idea here is how their new chat system would look like:

I think parents would be happy to have another choice when it comes to chat. Any thoughts on my idea?
It would be easier for the developers of KI to just add more options to Menu Chat. For Example:
Under "Wait"
Please wait, I have to clear my pack
Under "Friendly":
Would ye like to meet my other pirates?
In Bestia, under "Sorry"
Sorry, I don't have enough gold.
Expanding Menu Chat options is a better way to go.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
RRRRZZZZ419 on Feb 14, 2018 wrote:

I actually very much like this idea. I SO agree that Menu Chat is just annoying, and I too used to have it when I was younger. I literally leapt at the chance to make a new account when I was older so I could have Text Chat. But Menu Chat is just KingsIsle's way of making sure players are safe, and I have to agree that there should be some sort of "Limited Chat" where they can still say gameplay options.

One quick thing: The Menu Chat symbol next to your name is a chat bubble with a red circle around it, the Text Chat symbol is just a chat bubble and the Open Chat symbol is no bubble at all. I wonder what the Limited Chat symbol would be? Perhaps a chat bubble with a blue or purple circle around it but without the diagonal line in the middle? What do you think?

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
anecorbie on Feb 14, 2018 wrote:
It would be easier for the developers of KI to just add more options to Menu Chat. For Example:
Under "Wait"
Under "Friendly":
In Bestia, under "Sorry"
Hmm, I like that idea too. Either way, there need to be more options.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I always thought that more "Stinky" options would be fun:
Avery's "Biscuits and Bilge Water!"
I like saying "Barnacles!" sometimes. ( Yes, you can say this in game! )
And "Balderdash!" would be great for expressing disbelief in someone's comments. ( I haven't tried saying this in game. )
This is much more creative than trying to get around the filter ( & more fun too, imo. )

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
anecorbie on Feb 14, 2018 wrote:
Under "Wait"
Under "Friendly":
In Bestia, under "Sorry"
Agreed

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan

Captain
Sep 19, 2012
i like both ideas..however i do understand that coding might be a nightmare, so how about a combo?

under menu chat add a tab for "Mix n Match" that could open a drop down set of words that could be combined to make a more helpful sentence? this might be a good topic for a falmea friday too.. that way players can suggest their favorite needed phrases and some fun ones too?

one i need is "im sorry my friends list is full",
or for ones that reference the other pirate- "i cant add ya, check your settings" that could even be 2 different ones there for more variety in situations "i cant add ya" is specific then could go with either that way, whether "my friends list is full" or "check ya settings", and "(I'll)check ya(my) settings" could be helpful in many situations from doubloons to partying up to adding new friends to selecting companion vs pet, to auto companions or fast play..
also there aren't many if any functional references to ships or pets in menu chat either so if someone wants to ship pvp and doesnt have room in backpack to carry extra ships(same for pets for hybrid-making or pet pvp), then being able to mention they gotta go get another one would be nice, even a general thing like "I gotta go to my home for a few minutes" could be used followed by either "to get another ship" or "to sort pets" ("sort" could mean grabbing the needed pet for a hybrid or pvp or a boss fight, or putting extras down to make room)

great ideas all i think it'd really make things a bit easier for more options

stormy jen silver

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
stormyjensilverdra... on Feb 19, 2018 wrote:
i like both ideas..however i do understand that coding might be a nightmare, so how about a combo?

under menu chat add a tab for "Mix n Match" that could open a drop down set of words that could be combined to make a more helpful sentence? this might be a good topic for a falmea friday too.. that way players can suggest their favorite needed phrases and some fun ones too?

one i need is "im sorry my friends list is full",
or for ones that reference the other pirate- "i cant add ya, check your settings" that could even be 2 different ones there for more variety in situations "i cant add ya" is specific then could go with either that way, whether "my friends list is full" or "check ya settings", and "(I'll)check ya(my) settings" could be helpful in many situations from doubloons to partying up to adding new friends to selecting companion vs pet, to auto companions or fast play..
also there aren't many if any functional references to ships or pets in menu chat either so if someone wants to ship pvp and doesnt have room in backpack to carry extra ships(same for pets for hybrid-making or pet pvp), then being able to mention they gotta go get another one would be nice, even a general thing like "I gotta go to my home for a few minutes" could be used followed by either "to get another ship" or "to sort pets" ("sort" could mean grabbing the needed pet for a hybrid or pvp or a boss fight, or putting extras down to make room)

great ideas all i think it'd really make things a bit easier for more options

stormy jen silver
Well Jen, when a pirate asks to friend a pirate with a full list; they do get a notice that says: "Piraty Pirate's Friends List is full."