Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbucklers Need Blade Storm

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Jul 21, 2013
I was wondering, why even have the move shadow dance at all for swashbucklers? With this we critical all the time!!! But why have it for a swash when it should belong to buccaneers? They have blade storm. Thus they get an extra attack every time they critical. Why can't it be that way with swashbucklers? If we had just blade storm 1, our combat would change dramatically.

After all, swashbucklers only have epics for when an enemy attacks. For instance, we only get to use first strike when an enemy attacks us. We only get to use ripsote if we dodge. (Which in Valencia 2 is very hard. The enemies first of all have lots of accuracy and dodge. But they also have the killer: SECOND CHANCE 2!!!

As a swashbuckler, I currently have Ripsote 3, First Strike 2, Flanking 1, Relentless 1, Pirate 3. I only have this much because I have been paying the secret trainers some visits.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Weather Man on Jun 23, 2016 wrote:
I was wondering, why even have the move shadow dance at all for swashbucklers? With this we critical all the time!!! But why have it for a swash when it should belong to buccaneers? They have blade storm. Thus they get an extra attack every time they critical. Why can't it be that way with swashbucklers? If we had just blade storm 1, our combat would change dramatically.

After all, swashbucklers only have epics for when an enemy attacks. For instance, we only get to use first strike when an enemy attacks us. We only get to use ripsote if we dodge. (Which in Valencia 2 is very hard. The enemies first of all have lots of accuracy and dodge. But they also have the killer: SECOND CHANCE 2!!!

As a swashbuckler, I currently have Ripsote 3, First Strike 2, Flanking 1, Relentless 1, Pirate 3. I only have this much because I have been paying the secret trainers some visits.
Why don't you have First Strike 3? If you have Riposte 3, you should have that. There are some good drops in Valencia to boost your dodge - like Valadolid Boots which give + 19 to dodge.
We don't "critical all the time" with Shadowdance or Grand Shadowdance., there's a % chance of triggering.
You can get Bladestorm from some pets, I have such a pet.
I don't believe that bucklers should train bladestorm, which, when you think about it, truly belongs to the buccaneer class. They are known for charging, powerhouse moves - bucklers are sneaky, strike from the shadows, have finesse.
P.S. Flanking is death to "hides".

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Greetings, Weatherman, from one swashbuckler to another:

1) Get yourself a pet that has grants bladestorm. There are a number of such pets out there (I've made more than a few, trying to morph myself the 'uber pet'. If you belong to Pirate101 Central, that's probably the easiest way to schedule a morph with someone who is on at the same time you are, but you can arrange times here on the message boards as well. I tend to be on early in the morning or fairly late at night, but I would be happy to morph one of my pets with yours to hopefully get you the grant(s) you need.

2) In Valencia, pay particular attention to clothing and items that boost your dodge. It will probably mean giving up pluses to weapons and perhaps some cool cards, but you will find an increased dodge greatly enhances your survivability. It also boosts your attacks, for when you can dodge repeatedly, the enemy's 'second chance' will trigger your riposte again!

Petty Officer
Jul 21, 2013
I also can't help wondering, why do enemies in Valencia 2 have so many epics??? I was doing the dungeon where you meet the king and queen for the first time. When, all the sudden Kane gets mad and calls Royal Guards to come and fight you.

When I highlighted over the enemy I say that they have like 3200 health. That's pretty fair. Now when I see their epics, I was like "OMG how is that even what bit fair!!!" Turn the Tide 2, Riposte 2, Blade Storm 3, First Strike 3, repel Boarders 2, Hold the Line 2. That is just way too many epics!!! A swashbuckler can only get Riposte 3, First Strike 2, and Pirate 3. How is this fair??!!

This would be fair:

Royal Guard 2.0 (3100 ) Riposte 2, Blade Storm 1, First Strike 2, (What's the point of sneak attacks if all the enemies can spot them???,) Repel Boarders 2, Hold the Line 1, Turn the Tide 1.

Even with only those epics, they still are killer. And there still is something that needs to be fixed. Their epic hit!!!

Royal Guard 1.0 EPIC HIT- 900-1700 (crazy) Royal Guard 2.0 EPIC HIT- 350-700 (fair)

For the level of hardness for the world, there is only one thing I appreciate. That is the amount of gold received for a battle. I get 1200-6000 gold per chest on a solo fight. This balances the whole thing out. If a companion dies, them after about 2 battles, you can revive him from Miracle Mitch. (I don't really like his character. His voice is weird and he isn't too nice.

Now, to balance things out this is the final change:

Royal Guard 1.0 GOLD DROPS- 2000-6000 per chest (solo)
Royal Guard 2.0 GOLD DROPS- 1600-5200 per chest (solo)

Another thing to put into consideration is the difficulty level. Which will drop by almost 30%. But I still would like a good challenge here and there. Kane ... or maybe Moo Manchu. Who knows? Whatever happens I know there will always be a challenge in the spiral!

Fiery Orion Ironside (AKA: The Weather Man) Level 70

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
With how much damage a swash does, I think giving them blade storm would make them a bit too overpowered.

Petty Officer
Nov 22, 2010
Would you like to hatch with my grants blade storm pet? It might help your buckler just a wee bit.

Matthew Walker level 65

Ensign
Nov 18, 2013
Um...unless this was a typo, you should have First Strike 3 as well.

I will admit, Blade Storm would help Swashbucklers, but for now, train a pet that can grant it.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014

You can simply get grant bladestorm from a pet, check the wiki to see which pet can have it, or ask for help in morphing tent.

Bosun
Dec 28, 2012
I also can't help wondering, why do enemies in Valencia 2 have so many epics??? I was doing the dungeon where you meet the king and queen for the first time. When, all the sudden Kane gets mad and calls Royal Guards to come and fight you.

When I highlighted over the enemy I say that they have like 3200 health. That's pretty fair. Now when I see their epics, I was like "OMG how is that even what bit fair!!!" Turn the Tide 2, Riposte 2, Blade Storm 3, First Strike 3, repel Boarders 2, Hold the Line 2. That is just way too many epics!!! A swashbuckler can only get Riposte 3, First Strike 2, and Pirate 3. How is this fair??!!

This would be fair:

Royal Guard 2.0 (3100 ) Riposte 2, Blade Storm 1, First Strike 2, (What's the point of sneak attacks if all the enemies can spot them???,) Repel Boarders 2, Hold the Line 1, Turn the Tide 1.

Even with only those epics, they still are killer. And there still is something that needs to be fixed. Their epic hit!!!

Royal Guard 1.0 EPIC HIT- 900-1700 (crazy) Royal Guard 2.0 EPIC HIT- 350-700 (fair)

For the level of hardness for the world, there is only one thing I appreciate. That is the amount of gold received for a battle. I get 1200-6000 gold per chest on a solo fight. This balances the whole thing out. If a companion dies, them after about 2 battles, you can revive him from Miracle Mitch. (I don't really like his character. His voice is weird and he isn't too nice.

Now, to balance things out this is the final change:

Royal Guard 1.0 GOLD DROPS- 2000-6000 per chest (solo)
Royal Guard 2.0 GOLD DROPS- 1600-5200 per chest (solo)

Another thing to put into consideration is the difficulty level. Which will drop by almost 30%. But I still would like a good challenge here and there. Kane ... or maybe Moo Manchu. Who knows? Whatever happens I know there will always be a challenge in the spiral!

Fiery Orion Ironside (AKA: The Weather Man) Level 70
I LOVE the fact that these guys (and most of the enemies in Valencia) are such a challenge. Besides a few bosses, Pirate101 isn't very challenging. In my opinion, this shouldn't be changed.

Petty Officer
Jul 21, 2013
Uh, giving a swashbuckler blade storm would not make them overpowered. However, there is a matter I need to discuss.

I have realized that certain classes have heir own things. What i am trying to say is that no two classes have the same talents. So maybe there could be a special talent for swashbucklers. It would be called Nefarious.

Nefarious Rank 1: Make a bonus attack when you critical

Nefarious Rank 2: Make a bonus attack when you critical and +25% damage for 3 turns

Nefarious Rank 3: Make a bonus attack when you critical and +30% damage for 3 turns

Could this work? It might buff swashbucklers too much. So give me your thoughts. Oh, btw, if this was learn able in the game it would only be rank 1. (Maybe rank 2 at like level 75-85.)

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
The Weather Man on Jun 25, 2016 wrote:
Uh, giving a swashbuckler blade storm would not make them overpowered. However, there is a matter I need to discuss.

I have realized that certain classes have heir own things. What i am trying to say is that no two classes have the same talents. So maybe there could be a special talent for swashbucklers. It would be called Nefarious.

Nefarious Rank 2: Make a bonus attack when you critical and +25% damage for 3 turns

Nefarious Rank 3: Make a bonus attack when you critical and +30% damage for 3 turns

Could this work? It might buff swashbucklers too much. So give me your thoughts. Oh, btw, if this was learn able in the game it would only be rank 1. (Maybe rank 2 at like level 75-85.)
But, Weather Man, I don't want to be be nefarious!

Some of us pirates are of the wanna-be-hero type. While that may not be a historic attribute, it certainly is true of numerous movies and novels -- and at least one ballet (Le Corsair), too!

I think our swashbuckler talents are fine, actually. Perhaps a bit more dodge would be nice - I've bumped up mine as best as I think possible with gear from Valencia, but what we have is perfectly reasonable. You can get a fair number of extra talents from pets (including more dodge), and I think it is fun to try to get a number of interesting talents via pets. It mixes things up, making each pirate a little different from the next.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 05, 2015
Buccaneers are the Blade Storm Kings.

Bosun
Apr 28, 2014

Not only I think it's overpowered, but I think swashbucklers dont need any beefing up.

It's not like they and their crew is nearly invulnerable for several turns and do double damage when they decide to attack... Uh yeah, this is sarcasm of course.

Gunner's Mate
May 17, 2015

This is actually a really good idea but the problem is that it's a better blade storm so everyone would ditch blade storm and go to nefarious

Petty Officer
Jul 25, 2013

Swashbucklers already get their own talents: First Strike and Riposte, so there's no need for them to get that. It also unbalances pvp way too much, and although it will make SB more appealing during valencia, you have to realize that with this, no matter what, SB will be even greater in numbers when compared to all the other schools, and having too many of one class is never good. Even if Rank 2 of Nefarious were added At level 75-80, it would still be overpowered. It's basically a bladestorm, which can be obtained from pets and a weapon from talos (i think), except with an extra damage multiplier. I have a pet with bladestorm (several, actually) that also have grant tough 2 and relentless in its gene pool (in a sense), and I'd be happy to morph with tou when possible.

Petty Officer
Jul 21, 2013
Maybe I can change them a bit.

(PS. I just beat Kane, and my was the ending good )

Instead of Nefarious, we could use Sparring!!!

Sparring Rank 1: 70% chance to make a bonus attack if you critical

Sparring Rank 2: 60% chance to make bonus attack if you critical and +25 damage for 1 turn

Sparring Rank 3: 60% chance to make bonus attack if you critical and +30 damage for 1 turn

(Notice, the damage only increases by 25 not 25%. Ex. 300 + 25 = 325 damage. The other way it would be,
300 damage +25% = 375 damage.)

Lieutenant
Sep 21, 2014
anecorbie on Jun 23, 2016 wrote:
Why don't you have First Strike 3? If you have Riposte 3, you should have that. There are some good drops in Valencia to boost your dodge - like Valadolid Boots which give + 19 to dodge.
We don't "critical all the time" with Shadowdance or Grand Shadowdance., there's a % chance of triggering.
You can get Bladestorm from some pets, I have such a pet.
I don't believe that bucklers should train bladestorm, which, when you think about it, truly belongs to the buccaneer class. They are known for charging, powerhouse moves - bucklers are sneaky, strike from the shadows, have finesse.
P.S. Flanking is death to "hides".
So is first strike 3 :P

Petty Officer
Jul 21, 2013
I take back what I said earlier. I think Valencia 2 difficulty is just fine ... maybe even PERFECT. Alas I have a story to tell with my experience with my first time with KANE!!!

I am in the dungeon with a musketeer. We make it to the final battle with Kane.
On the first turn, I hide my allies. Then I use Fan Flanders Shadow dance and El Toro's Espirit De Corpse. A few turns later we have narrowed it down to Rooke and Kane. So I figure that I will go after Kane.
I get him down to 47 health in one turn. I am like this is easy. Then the DEADLY FRENZY popped up.
2200-2700 damage (good bye Fan Flanders, El Toro, and Subodai.)
Next I go after Kane myself. I charge at him and instead of victory I see "RESISTED."
Then the DEADLY FRENZY comes up. Epic hit 3800 damage (good bye me XD.)
We only won because the musketeer summoned a skeletal minion with a doubloon and the little thing shot Kane and killed him.
I just sit there on the couch and am like, what just happened???
Well there you have it, I beat Kane.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Unfair Angel on Jun 26, 2016 wrote:
So is first strike 3 :P
Only if the "other guy" has it