Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Swashbuckler Vs. Buccaneer

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 27, 2013
Ok, so I've been wondering, what if a great swashbuckler met a great buccaneer in battle? This example is Morgan LaFitte vs. Mordekai. The swashbucklers are graceful, agile, very quick, and clever. They rely on agility and speed. The buccaneers, on the other hand, are very strong, tough, rough, and brutal. They rely on strength. So if Morgan LaFitte ever met Mordekai in battle for some reason, who would win? I think Morgan would win because she could easily use walk in shadows and be hidden, then strike Mordekai when he would not be looking. Go buccaneers and swashbucklers!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
CleverEmilyJones on Aug 21, 2014 wrote:
Ok, so I've been wondering, what if a great swashbuckler met a great buccaneer in battle? This example is Morgan LaFitte vs. Mordekai. The swashbucklers are graceful, agile, very quick, and clever. They rely on agility and speed. The buccaneers, on the other hand, are very strong, tough, rough, and brutal. They rely on strength. So if Morgan LaFitte ever met Mordekai in battle for some reason, who would win? I think Morgan would win because she could easily use walk in shadows and be hidden, then strike Mordekai when he would not be looking. Go buccaneers and swashbucklers!
Hi Emily, welcome to the message boards.
That is what PvP is all about, trying out those very ideas.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Welcome to the message boards Clever Emily! Glad you could join us.

In my humble opinion I believe that the result would be just like the results often are in the game. I think you could take 20 battles between the two, on three different occasions and Lafitte would when more in one grouping, Mordekai would get the upper hand in the next grouping and then they may be even-steven the next 20. I don't believe that with their superior training that any 2 battles would be the same as they would vary their strategies depending on what they were faced with from the opposition.

If they are anything like our pirates, which with their superior knowledge they should certainly be, they probably have knowledge or training in the other classes combat arts, talents and powers. So this would even ad more diversity to each battle. Just like with our pirates having access to other classes talents and powers. I play as a Buccaneer, but I have Walk in Darkness (&Shadows), higher than norm (for a Buck) damage and dodge, and several other Swashbuckler powers and talents (just not the really cool ones) -- some from gear, some from practice points and some courtesy of pets. Just as their are many Swashbucklers out there that have traits, powers and talents that are considered Buccaneer defining traits. The game gives us the chance to blend and mix classes powers and talents and that is why so many times the outcomes of battles in PvP can vary so much.

So I believe that it would be difficult to predict or declare a winner between any of the class trainers, if they were to meet in any one given battle. But it is definitely fun to speculate and weigh-in on who would come out on top! I like both classes equally, all of them for that matter, and the fact that we can intermingle the traits, powers, talents and benefits of each class, only makes them that much more likeable......and equally powerful!

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Welcome aboard lass, and very interesting post this be a brawl worth seeing.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Bosun
Feb 25, 2012
well . . . if you mean battle like the gameplay version, morgan would no doubt kick mordekais butt. howevery, in terms of a REAL fight . . . . well, if mordekai got only a single hit on morgan it looks like it would be over.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 14, 2013
Well in my opinion even without the special powers Morgan LaFitte would win because she is fast and quickly strike Mordekai tell he falls

Ensign
Aug 10, 2011
Oh no, reminds me of an argument my friend and I had... She's a swashbuckler, and I'm a buccaneer...
: me : her

you chose buccaneer? please, swashies are so much better!
excuse me? there is not one better than the other.
We're so quick and agile! I'd dodge you any day.
hey, if I use an epic hit on you, there IS no dodging for you. Better hope you at least have some light armor on.
But once you run out of epic hits, i'll be able to riposte you to kingdom come.
watch my vengeance strike.
watch me dodge your vengeance strike.
and when you don't, i can blade storm that.
not if i first strike it first. And i can slash you weak companions any time.
not if you're immobilized, you aren't. And my companions could definitely take on yours.
Subodai and Sarah Steele are so much better than Kobe and Barnabas.
Not with THOSE talents, they aren't.
Face it, swashbucklers are better.

and i ended it with:
Oh come on! You really think your level 4 swashbuckler and take on someone 10 times your level?

She also thought that swashbucklers were the armored class...

and it was a bunch on nonsense... personally, i think they both make up for what they can't do by themselves, so I say they definitely work well together

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Aug 21, 2014 wrote:
Welcome to the message boards Clever Emily! Glad you could join us.

In my humble opinion I believe that the result would be just like the results often are in the game. I think you could take 20 battles between the two, on three different occasions and Lafitte would when more in one grouping, Mordekai would get the upper hand in the next grouping and then they may be even-steven the next 20. I don't believe that with their superior training that any 2 battles would be the same as they would vary their strategies depending on what they were faced with from the opposition.

If they are anything like our pirates, which with their superior knowledge they should certainly be, they probably have knowledge or training in the other classes combat arts, talents and powers. So this would even ad more diversity to each battle. Just like with our pirates having access to other classes talents and powers. I play as a Buccaneer, but I have Walk in Darkness (&Shadows), higher than norm (for a Buck) damage and dodge, and several other Swashbuckler powers and talents (just not the really cool ones) -- some from gear, some from practice points and some courtesy of pets. Just as their are many Swashbucklers out there that have traits, powers and talents that are considered Buccaneer defining traits. The game gives us the chance to blend and mix classes powers and talents and that is why so many times the outcomes of battles in PvP can vary so much.

So I believe that it would be difficult to predict or declare a winner between any of the class trainers, if they were to meet in any one given battle. But it is definitely fun to speculate and weigh-in on who would come out on top! I like both classes equally, all of them for that matter, and the fact that we can intermingle the traits, powers, talents and benefits of each class, only makes them that much more likeable......and equally powerful!
It would be easy to say who wins in Commodore vs. Vadima. Commodore would forget they were fighting.

Ensign
Oct 30, 2012
I think Mordekai would win because he could use leviathan's call to take some of the hits, but don't mind me.
I'm a buccaneer myself.

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
I'd assume Mordekai would win. Morgan would be all like: "whoop whoop cant hit me"

But Mordekai would then just swing his giant axe around him in a reckless fury destroying Morgan in the process.

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
Seeing as how Mordekai and Morgan are FAR more experienced than we are, I picture they would size each other up, take a few practice swings, then step out for a nice cup of tea (which we would have smuggled from Mooshu!).

Petty Officer
Jan 09, 2013
Dead Eye Luke on Oct 27, 2014 wrote:
I'd assume Mordekai would win. Morgan would be all like: "whoop whoop cant hit me"

But Mordekai would then just swing his giant axe around him in a reckless fury destroying Morgan in the process.

Haha, exactly what I thought would happen.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Kai Alcott on Oct 27, 2014 wrote:
It would be easy to say who wins in Commodore vs. Vadima. Commodore would forget they were fighting.
Also,a privateer is nothing without his crew!And if this is one on one,Vadima would win.Even though,she'd have a harder time as the Commodore has will and magical resistance.

Now,the Swashbuckler has a lot of weapon power,and can easily kill anything,the price of this is low health.The drawback in question,however,would have no effect.And Mordekai has a lot of stuff to use to keep himself from taking too much damage...

So...what is to happen?Well,Mademoiselle LaFitte will have a hard time exploiting Mordekai's weaknesses,because she isn't too capable of protecting herself(excluding dodge) and Mordekai would have a hard time exploiting her weaknesses because in 1 VS 1 it isn't really easy to bring your enemy down fast,no matter how low their health.I mean,LaFitte can counter even something like Reckless Frenzy simpy by dodging!

The result is a tediously long match that ends in either the swashbuckler's defeat or the buccaneer's.

But here's a fight I do want to see:

Our player and Avery VS Our class trainer and the person who we studied our secondary powers from.