Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Stop Shooting Down Everyone's Ideas

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Could we please just stop shooting down people's ideas in general? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's smart, as some desperately need reminding. Thanks.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
AlphaWolf02 on Aug 11, 2014 wrote:
Could we please just stop shooting down people's ideas in general? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's smart, as some desperately need reminding. Thanks.
If I don't agree with an idea, then I'll express an opinion. As long as I keep to the rules of the message boards, I'm allowed to post my response to ideas presented here.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I have had some ideas that quite frankly, in hindsight, flat out stunk up the Skyways or weren't that well-thought out. I have been gracious that there have been others there to help me "see the light" or to at least provide their creative feedback. I fully understand that not every idea of mine is going to be "a winner" and I absolutely don't mind critique and criticism as long as it is kept non-hostile and rudeness is left out of the equation.

Feedback (both positive and negative) is an awesome tool to help ideas grow and develop or even to be ditched in order for new, better ideas to be birthed. Yep, I embrace constructive criticism. I have even taken a proverbial torch or axe to many of my own ideas-- and I have oodles of them!

But I do think people should refrain from using hostilities and overall rudeness when opposing an idea, good points can surely be made without resorting to any of that kind of negativity.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Just because we post another opinion on an idea does not mean that the first idea is diminished in any way. To differ in opinion does not mean the other opinion is wrong, just a different way of looking at something. We all see the world a bit differently and I embrace different views as I often learn a lot that way. To agree to disagree is a VERY healthy way to express yourself. We are all Marauders here and all of our opinions are valued. As long an it is constructive, any criticism is welcome.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Sometimes I wonder.... if me ideas ever count.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
jack morgan933 on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:
Sometimes I wonder.... if me ideas ever count.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
Your ideas ALWAYS count. Agreed with or having opposing opinions with doesn't change the fact that all constructive input here always counts and is highly valued.

Community Leader
It actually isn't fair to the community, or the game in general to limit feedback on any given idea, regardless of perspective or stance. Such conversations/debates are likely part of how KI can get a true picture of how the community might accept any such idea. Limit response and it distorts the "picture".

Such conversations/debates should always be kept civil and constructive!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Thank ye Chrissy, ye kind words means a lot to me, so thank ye.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Aug 12, 2014 wrote:
Just because we post another opinion on an idea does not mean that the first idea is diminished in any way. To differ in opinion does not mean the other opinion is wrong, just a different way of looking at something. We all see the world a bit differently and I embrace different views as I often learn a lot that way. To agree to disagree is a VERY healthy way to express yourself. We are all Marauders here and all of our opinions are valued. As long an it is constructive, any criticism is welcome.
Some people's opinions make others feel as if they shouldn't have spoken in the first place, which is NOT the objective of the forum.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
Dr Zeppers on Aug 13, 2014 wrote:
It actually isn't fair to the community, or the game in general to limit feedback on any given idea, regardless of perspective or stance. Such conversations/debates are likely part of how KI can get a true picture of how the community might accept any such idea. Limit response and it distorts the "picture".

Such conversations/debates should always be kept civil and constructive!
I was attempting to remind people of the "civil and constructive" part.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
While I do very much agree that any debate should be civil and constructive, especially on these message boards, I also agree strongly with esperanza, valkoor, zeppers and the others. Debates are needed, as are the posting of different ideas and opinions. One of the best ways of learning is by seeing the problems within your own ideas. That way you have a chance to rethink, and improve your idea. If everybody simply agrees with you, you will never learn to think creativly, or even to consider other possibilities.

Also, on the topic of being polite. The very few posts that I would actually consider rude, or deconstructive critisim have been from you Alphawolf. Such as when you asked for a translator for 626eanostman123's opening post asking which world is the most deadly, or again when you demanded that Fearless Robert Spencer use a spellchecker for his post 'return to Kansas' when I only saw one minor mistake.
So, please before asking us to not share our opinions, please follow your own advice on being civil. Thank you.

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
CdeWinter on Aug 13, 2014 wrote:
While I do very much agree that any debate should be civil and constructive, especially on these message boards, I also agree strongly with esperanza, valkoor, zeppers and the others. Debates are needed, as are the posting of different ideas and opinions. One of the best ways of learning is by seeing the problems within your own ideas. That way you have a chance to rethink, and improve your idea. If everybody simply agrees with you, you will never learn to think creativly, or even to consider other possibilities.

Also, on the topic of being polite. The very few posts that I would actually consider rude, or deconstructive critisim have been from you Alphawolf. Such as when you asked for a translator for 626eanostman123's opening post asking which world is the most deadly, or again when you demanded that Fearless Robert Spencer use a spellchecker for his post 'return to Kansas' when I only saw one minor mistake.
So, please before asking us to not share our opinions, please follow your own advice on being civil. Thank you.
I thought that actually was constructive, as in both cases I couldn't read some/all of the text. I think that if someone wants to share their story, it's a good idea to make it readable. Is it of your opinions that this isn't the case?

Gunner's Mate
Jun 22, 2011
CdeWinter on Aug 13, 2014 wrote:

Additionally, in the Return to Kansas letter I found not a single capital letter. Do you think..otherwise about the subject?

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I believe everyone should be able to weigh in on as many topics as they want but I do see that there are some people on here whose ideas and debates do seem to carry more weight than others. When they speak everyone listens and simply agrees with them. It's sort of like they have their own group of yes-men. Sometimes the "popularity" of a player can hinder a good conversation because nobody wants the "popular" player to dislike them. Also it causes them to sort of have a monopoly on what happens in-game too. Unfortunately Pirate101 is not free of social classes that happen when dealing with human relationships.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
AlphaWolf02 on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:
I thought that actually was constructive, as in both cases I couldn't read some/all of the text. I think that if someone wants to share their story, it's a good idea to make it readable. Is it of your opinions that this isn't the case?
There's a lot of younger pirates here on the boards and I wouldn't expect them to spell everything correctly, use proper grammar consistently, capitalize everything properly or even have the most awe inspiring posts, threads and or stories. Likewise I would expect that all of us older and more mature pirates here would understand that there are pirates of all ages and educational levels, so consequently we wouldn't be so judgmental of their trivial and minor mistakes in those areas. The boards aren't about perfect posting, they are about providing feedback to KI and engaging with friends of all makes and models.

It's also a good idea to consider other posters' feelings when it comes to posting critiques about grammar, spelling and presentation of a topic or thoughts. In many cases it's just not necessary to correct someone we don't know, especially if they very well could be younger and still developing those skills. Even with misspellings, lack of capitalization and improper grammar, the majority of the time the point of the topic or story can be easily understood. Everyone deserves the chance to post their thoughts and stories without feeling that they need to do it perfectly or without feeling that they will be corrected for their mistakes.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:
I believe everyone should be able to weigh in on as many topics as they want but I do see that there are some people on here whose ideas and debates do seem to carry more weight than others. When they speak everyone listens and simply agrees with them. It's sort of like they have their own group of yes-men. Sometimes the "popularity" of a player can hinder a good conversation because nobody wants the "popular" player to dislike them. Also it causes them to sort of have a monopoly on what happens in-game too. Unfortunately Pirate101 is not free of social classes that happen when dealing with human relationships.

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
I agree that some posters are more popular than others, this is because they are generally creative and original, also if they reply to an idea, their response is supportive or uplifting, if it's a disagreement, it's framed in a positive and constructive light.
New posters should not fear presenting ideas here. I have disagreed with Virtuous Anne Radcliffe over her idea that we were in El Dorado as infants; I did hesitate to post ( yes, because she's Anne and I've enjoyed reading her posts ) and also because it was an interesting idea. However no one should be above being disagreed with or think themselves immune to someone disagreeing with them.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
AlphaWolf02 on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:
The deadliest world post was a little scrambled, but I put that down to excitement and the youth of the poster. I did 'yar' you because the asking for a translation was funny. As to Robert's post, it was perfectly legible, and the post was appropriate because he wanted to share where he would be, in case we missed him on the boards. Using lower case was a minor issue and your comment was just nit-picking, IMO, ooh look I used an abbreviation! Should those be allowed?

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
DuranteRamses87 on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
I don't believe that anyone here on the boards ever stops anyone from carrying on a conversation or thread. If the conversation or topic ceases it is merely because people chose not to post anymore. If anyone has any ideas or wants to expand on a certain topic or issue, they are 100% free to do so, with no poster here on the boards able to or wishing to stop them from doing so. Like you stated, we all have the ability and right to weigh in on as many topics as we wish. That includes the so called more popular posters with their so called yes men. And speaking only on my behalf, I certainly don't mind at all if anyone here refutes or disagrees with anything that I have to say-- that's actually a great thing. My feelings will never be harmed if others don't agree and in fact, I will probably have a deeper respect for them for speaking their mind and voicing their point of views and offering up constructive debating. And I am surely not going to dislike anyone because of them weighing in with their personal thoughts and opinions, especially just because they differ from mine.

I tend to agree or resonate with the majority of posts by a handful of posters here, simply because I enjoy or actually do appreciate what they have to say and because they carry a friendly and helpful tone within their postings and topics-- but everyone equally gets the same unbiased, fair chance. I enjoy yarring or responding to someone equally whether they have 1 post or 5,000 posts. Those with a lot of yars and responses, have more than likely given yars and responses far and beyond what they have received.

I certainly don't believe that there is a monopoly of sorts that certain posters/players possess that influences what happens in-game. Honestly, the thing that I have noticed since being a member of the Message Boards that I find intriguing, is that the posters that have felt and expressed displeasure about there being a hierarchy or social order on the boards, are the posters that almost never take the time to give Yars or to engage in friendly conversations with the many wonderful posters here on the boards. It is as if they wish others to extend kindness and favor to them, but do not wish to do the same to their fellow message boarders.

Those on here that seem to garner more responses, yars or weight-- probably do so because they are friendly and helpful and actually take the time to respond to or yar their fellow marauders regardless of the amount of time or posts the others have. Sometimes one must give a little in order to receive as it does go both ways.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
We all think some ideas are good (generally our own) and some ideas are -- not so good (not usually our own). That's human nature. Not every idea is going to be a good 'un. Sometimes what we think is brilliant when we first arrive at it turns out, in the cold light of the morning after posting, to have been less well thought out or expressed than we would have liked. Other posters finding weaknesses and flaws isn't necessarily shooting down the idea itself as much as it's allowing for a decent trimming to the initial idea.

Example: I come up with what I think would make a fantastic side quest. I lay out the general idea, and the loot that I think should be dropped, including a weapon that gives flanking +2, extra dodge and riposte +3. But the boss is a pretty easily defeated boss. Valkoor or Chrissy or Indigo read my post and suggest (quite rightly) that the weapon is grossly overpowered and could destroy game balance. Valkoor points out that the quest is pretty easy. Chrissy thinks I should tone down the weapon dropped. Indigo clips me upside the head and points out my writing sucks (not that he would) and that the boss is so low-level he couldn't possibly possess such a weapon. I can fine-tune my suggested side quest or pick up my marbles and go home.

If all I ever heard was "that's a great idea" I'd never improve. If all I ever heard was "That's the dumbest thing I've ever read" I'd give up and quit presenting my ideas. But if what I'm getting is "that's interesting, but don't you think _____ would make it better?" I can not only flesh out my idea but also improve in the long run.

Apologies to the three pirates I picked on for my example. I'll stand you an apology lunch if we ever meet IRL, Valkoor or Chrissy.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:
We all think some ideas are good (generally our own) and some ideas are -- not so good (not usually our own). That's human nature. Not every idea is going to be a good 'un. Sometimes what we think is brilliant when we first arrive at it turns out, in the cold light of the morning after posting, to have been less well thought out or expressed than we would have liked. Other posters finding weaknesses and flaws isn't necessarily shooting down the idea itself as much as it's allowing for a decent trimming to the initial idea.

Example: I come up with what I think would make a fantastic side quest. I lay out the general idea, and the loot that I think should be dropped, including a weapon that gives flanking +2, extra dodge and riposte +3. But the boss is a pretty easily defeated boss. Valkoor or Chrissy or Indigo read my post and suggest (quite rightly) that the weapon is grossly overpowered and could destroy game balance. Valkoor points out that the quest is pretty easy. Chrissy thinks I should tone down the weapon dropped. Indigo clips me upside the head and points out my writing sucks (not that he would) and that the boss is so low-level he couldn't possibly possess such a weapon. I can fine-tune my suggested side quest or pick up my marbles and go home.

If all I ever heard was "that's a great idea" I'd never improve. If all I ever heard was "That's the dumbest thing I've ever read" I'd give up and quit presenting my ideas. But if what I'm getting is "that's interesting, but don't you think _____ would make it better?" I can not only flesh out my idea but also improve in the long run.

Apologies to the three pirates I picked on for my example. I'll stand you an apology lunch if we ever meet IRL, Valkoor or Chrissy.
No apology necessary Fiorenza. I am just glad that in your example I wasn't mentioned as the one doing the head clipping! Now let's work on this fantastic side quest idea of yours and get to trimming it!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Aug 14, 2014 wrote:

As much as I am known for doling out the occasional NCIS slap or two I am tickled that it was not me in this case. No apologies are necessary as it was only and example anyway. Although IRL I would LOVE to meet you guys, lunch isn't necessary, but sure would be fun.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Aug 15, 2014 wrote:
No apology necessary Fiorenza. I am just glad that in your example I wasn't mentioned as the one doing the head clipping! Now let's work on this fantastic side quest idea of yours and get to trimming it!
I chose Indigo for that bit because I know him IRL and I am absolutely certain-sure that he would never really do such a thing. And I can stand him an apology lunch whenever it's convenient for us both -- or bribe him with donuts.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Aug 15, 2014 wrote:
I chose Indigo for that bit because I know him IRL and I am absolutely certain-sure that he would never really do such a thing. And I can stand him an apology lunch whenever it's convenient for us both -- or bribe him with donuts.
Yeah, I had seen in another thread that you and Indigo where real-life "acquaintances". Well, if he ever were to attempt anything like that hopefully he will use one of them donuts-- ummm donuts, yummy loops of goodness... gets us every time!

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Aug 15, 2014 wrote:
Yeah, I had seen in another thread that you and Indigo where real-life "acquaintances". Well, if he ever were to attempt anything like that hopefully he will use one of them donuts-- ummm donuts, yummy loops of goodness... gets us every time!
Chocolate sprinkles.. I have loved those ever since I was a kid..

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
ChrisTheSwashy on Aug 15, 2014 wrote:
Chocolate sprinkles.. I have loved those ever since I was a kid..
Oooh, definitely. I love them too, them and chocolate frosting-- and I am still a kid....well at least that's what many people tell me.