Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Star Trek is 50!

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Did you grow up watching Star Trek? Or The Next Generation, or Deep Space Nine? Today was the day it all started - a little show pitched by Gene Rodenberry as "Wagon Train in space" and with the encouragement of Lucille Ball, it became a reality.
So who were your favorite characters and did you have any favorite episodes? Please share your memories.
I remember watching the original series with my dad ( he was a mechanical engineer and the science depicted on the show fascinated him ) my favorite character was Mr. Spock.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I had a big crush on Captain Kirk when I was little, (and on Bobby Sherman from Here Come the Brides when I was a little older, but that's beside the point). Original Trek was awesome - I had homemade VHS tapes of the whole series, but then The Next Generation was great as well and I still occasionally watch the reruns on BBCAmerica.

Lots of favorite episodes, enjoyed all of the characters, and when a familiar face from Batman or Dragnet showed up it was fun to place why they were familiar.

Live Long and Prosper!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Willowydream on Sep 9, 2016 wrote:
I had a big crush on Captain Kirk when I was little, (and on Bobby Sherman from Here Come the Brides when I was a little older, but that's beside the point). Original Trek was awesome - I had homemade VHS tapes of the whole series, but then The Next Generation was great as well and I still occasionally watch the reruns on BBCAmerica.

Lots of favorite episodes, enjoyed all of the characters, and when a familiar face from Batman or Dragnet showed up it was fun to place why they were familiar.

Live Long and Prosper!
Lol, Bobby Sherman! I had a serious crush on him!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
I wasn't a Trekkie by any means, but I absolutely loved (and still do) classic Star Trek. I enjoyed the Picard era as well, I just preferred the charm, humor and overacting that the original Enterprise crew offered.

I think Kirk would be my all-time favorite character just because he had it all: cheesy humor; leadership; compassion; charisma; charm; trouble-inducing emotions; could overact with the best of them; the ladies loved him & that often lead to more chaos; and he somehow kept a level head despite seeming a bit clueless at times. Looking back I laugh at how someone like Kirk was even chosen to take on a leadership role. Kind of like the decision makers thought..."Yeah he may not be the most logical, sensible or even most qualified fit for Captain...but people sure are going to love him, laugh at him and relate to him-- so why not!?" I also really liked Geordi La Forge and several times crafted up some visors that I wore around the house. Couldn't see through them very well though-- took some lumps from a few walls and low hanging tree branches.

I have a few favorite episodes, at least ones that immediately stand out in my memory. Amok Time, where Kirk and Spock have to fight each other. Such a classic scene and quite intense from a fan's perspective. Whenever The Cable Guy is on, I simply must watch the part where Jim Carrey gives his hilarious rendition of that scene, while battling it out in Medieval Times. I also always enjoyed the Arena episode and had probably a couple dozen of those Gorn figures or "lizard dudes", as I referred to them, that also doubled as an "extra race" when I had my many epic Star Wars battles as a kid. And I also got a kick out of the Tribbles episode for some reason.

Yeah, that show paved the way for so many future Sci-Fi creations and encouraged many people "to boldly go where no man has gone before."

Hey Blind Mew...any chance Kane's "phaser" was set to stun???

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 12, 2016 wrote:
I wasn't a Trekkie by any means, but I absolutely loved (and still do) classic Star Trek. I enjoyed the Picard era as well, I just preferred the charm, humor and overacting that the original Enterprise crew offered.

I think Kirk would be my all-time favorite character just because he had it all: cheesy humor; leadership; compassion; charisma; charm; trouble-inducing emotions; could overact with the best of them; the ladies loved him & that often lead to more chaos; and he somehow kept a level head despite seeming a bit clueless at times. Looking back I laugh at how someone like Kirk was even chosen to take on a leadership role. Kind of like the decision makers thought..."Yeah he may not be the most logical, sensible or even most qualified fit for Captain...but people sure are going to love him, laugh at him and relate to him-- so why not!?" I also really liked Geordi La Forge and several times crafted up some visors that I wore around the house. Couldn't see through them very well though-- took some lumps from a few walls and low hanging tree branches.

I have a few favorite episodes, at least ones that immediately stand out in my memory. Amok Time, where Kirk and Spock have to fight each other. Such a classic scene and quite intense from a fan's perspective. Whenever The Cable Guy is on, I simply must watch the part where Jim Carrey gives his hilarious rendition of that scene, while battling it out in Medieval Times. I also always enjoyed the Arena episode and had probably a couple dozen of those Gorn figures or "lizard dudes", as I referred to them, that also doubled as an "extra race" when I had my many epic Star Wars battles as a kid. And I also got a kick out of the Tribbles episode for some reason.

Yeah, that show paved the way for so many future Sci-Fi creations and encouraged many people "to boldly go where no man has gone before."

I always thought that Phule was a cross between Lore and Q lol

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
DuranteRamses87 on Sep 15, 2016 wrote:
I always thought that Phule was a cross between Lore and Q lol

Virtuous Dante Ramsey
Omigee! I think you hit it!

Petty Officer
May 27, 2009
Umm not to be rude but why are we talking about star trek? But since we're on the subject, my aunt had a crush on one of the first officers can't remember his name but he had a beard.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
JustSomeRandomGame... on Sep 16, 2016 wrote:
Umm not to be rude but why are we talking about star trek? But since we're on the subject, my aunt had a crush on one of the first officers can't remember his name but he had a beard.
William Riker played by the actor Jonathan Frakes from Star Trek: the Next Generation.
Haven't you noticed the similarities/influences of Star Trek on this game?
Subodai: "Today is a good day to die." ( the Klingon battle motto )

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 12, 2016 wrote:

The Trouble with Tribbles is actually one of my favorite episodes - you get to see Spock almost smile! When I had a Guinea Pig as a pet, it would make that purr sound Pigs use when they're happy - very like the sound tribbles make!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Sep 16, 2016 wrote:
William Riker played by the actor Jonathan Frakes from Star Trek: the Next Generation.
Ryker was played by Jonathan Frakes. In a nod back to the pilot of the Original Series, Captain Pickard often called him "Number One." Frakes also did a show about hoaxes that I used to watch, I think it was called Beyond Belief.

Star Trek, the original series, definitely imprinted pop culture in America. I think Star Trek fans started the phenomenon of fan conventions that has grown into a worldwide practice for many genres.

Petty Officer
May 27, 2009
anecorbie on Sep 16, 2016 wrote:
Yes Rycker that's his name. Can you point out the similarities and influences for me please?

Bold Ryan Richardson (lvl 70) and noobs.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
JustSomeRandomGame... on Sep 16, 2016 wrote:
Yes Rycker that's his name. Can you point out the similarities and influences for me please?

Bold Ryan Richardson (lvl 70) and noobs.
Well, we sail our ships through space, we have a crew, we're fighting an evil empire, then of course, as I said Subodai quotes the Klingon phrase "today is a good day to die." ( In fact, the Spirit Shaman that WDs recruit says this all the time. )
I also detect certain writing influences from Blind Mew ( I bet he was a Trek fan )
Before there was Star Wars, there was Star Trek, everything started from that one TV show.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
I don't actually see a strong Trek influence in pirate, except maybe in general terms (we are good guys fighting bad guys - although we do sail around in ships).

The "Good day to die" quotation is a Native American saying, and among others is attributed to Crazy Horse. So the Cool Ranch buffaloes are more likely taking it from that heritage, rather than from Trek.

But I expect most of us, including the KI programmers, are or were Trekkies to some extent (except for maybe some very young players). For me, the best series was Deep Space 9.

However, since it is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek's debut and this thread should relate to pirate, I hereby officially demand a tribble pet!

Tribble pet!

(Maybe that should be a trrrribble pet, arrr!)

Hey, they listened to us for the Alan Rickman tribute pets...

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Indigo Ring on Sep 20, 2016 wrote:
I don't actually see a strong Trek influence in pirate, except maybe in general terms (we are good guys fighting bad guys - although we do sail around in ships).

The "Good day to die" quotation is a Native American saying, and among others is attributed to Crazy Horse. So the Cool Ranch buffaloes are more likely taking it from that heritage, rather than from Trek.

But I expect most of us, including the KI programmers, are or were Trekkies to some extent (except for maybe some very young players). For me, the best series was Deep Space 9.

However, since it is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek's debut and this thread should relate to pirate, I hereby officially demand a tribble pet!

Tribble pet!

(Maybe that should be a trrrribble pet, arrr!)

Hey, they listened to us for the Alan Rickman tribute pets...

-Indigo
If Blind Mew had his way about the story line for book 15, we would have seen the introduction of Kane's opposite - Able.
So there's the connection of Lore vs. Data ( androids ) or Automata?
TRIBBLE PET!!!!!!