Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Role Play must STOP

AuthorMessage
Ensign
May 30, 2017
2
Hi,

I recently was at the Bazaar selling some equipment and then went to the free trader. I saw the most awful and annoying thing...role players! Listen i know I'm bout to get hate on this message, but the whole reason i started to play Pirate101 was to escape the drama people started on Wizard101! Not only that, i have seen and heard of situations of people who are pretending to have adult relationships with each other, i thought this was a kid friendly game! Look I'm 15 years old and to see how people are treating each other is obscene. I'm not saying that Wizard101 is a bad game or Pirate101 for that matter, I'm saying that a lot of people are tired of the role play. It totally defeats the whole purpose of the game, which is level up your character by questing and having friends help along the way, not sit there and play mother and father. It is also a big issue in which people are using death threats, taunts, and threatening suicide over a silly argument in a game. I have seen a fight in Avery's court where a person said they were going to kill them self because of their boyfriend in game cheated on her. First off how can you cheat on someone in a game like this! Second why would you threaten to end your life over a in game relationship! Third and final statement on this topic, How do you know who is behind that character! For all we know they could be a 45 year old man who is trying to make people think he is a female and then trick a person into giving them there information because they are not who they say they were! Yes adults can play the game, but people got to be aware of the circumstances that people are not who they say they are. Everything i mentioned here is associated with role play! I am sick and tired of hearing stories about how someone on Pirate101 or Wizard101 turned out to be someone different then they claimed to be. People are not honest and that is why I believe that role play is toxic to this game. I understand this will get a large amount of dislike but please think to yourself, "are they really who they say they are?" Especially if you are under the age age of 18. People lie about their age all the time.

Thanks,
A dude who is just a Buccaneer

Ensign
Apr 29, 2017
22
I agree. The chat in Avery's Court is obnoxious.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9782
lmac1822 on Jun 27, 2017 wrote:
Hi,

I recently was at the Bazaar selling some equipment and then went to the free trader. I saw the most awful and annoying thing...role players! Listen i know I'm bout to get hate on this message, but the whole reason i started to play Pirate101 was to escape the drama people started on Wizard101! Not only that, i have seen and heard of situations of people who are pretending to have adult relationships with each other, i thought this was a kid friendly game! Look I'm 15 years old and to see how people are treating each other is obscene. I'm not saying that Wizard101 is a bad game or Pirate101 for that matter, I'm saying that a lot of people are tired of the role play. It totally defeats the whole purpose of the game, which is level up your character by questing and having friends help along the way, not sit there and play mother and father. It is also a big issue in which people are using death threats, taunts, and threatening suicide over a silly argument in a game. I have seen a fight in Avery's court where a person said they were going to kill them self because of their boyfriend in game cheated on her. First off how can you cheat on someone in a game like this! Second why would you threaten to end your life over a in game relationship! Third and final statement on this topic, How do you know who is behind that character! For all we know they could be a 45 year old man who is trying to make people think he is a female and then trick a person into giving them there information because they are not who they say they were! Yes adults can play the game, but people got to be aware of the circumstances that people are not who they say they are. Everything i mentioned here is associated with role play! I am sick and tired of hearing stories about how someone on Pirate101 or Wizard101 turned out to be someone different then they claimed to be. People are not honest and that is why I believe that role play is toxic to this game. I understand this will get a large amount of dislike but please think to yourself, "are they really who they say they are?" Especially if you are under the age age of 18. People lie about their age all the time.

Thanks,
A dude who is just a Buccaneer
Welcome to the Message Boards, Imac1822 ( AKA a dude who is just a Buccaneer )!
Those are all very good points, especially alerting younger players to the dangers of Internet strangers. I'm sorry these situations are ruining your enjoyment of this game. Unfortunately, there is no way to stop or police this kind of behavior.
YOU can report those who are overstepping the line in their conversations - mentions of adult relationships, sexting, and using foul language around the filter are all violations of KingsIsle's Terms of Use.
Thank you for your timely warning,
Esperanza Deveraux

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
lmac1822 on Jun 27, 2017 wrote:
Hi,

I recently was at the Bazaar selling some equipment and then went to the free trader. I saw the most awful and annoying thing...role players! Listen i know I'm bout to get hate on this message, but the whole reason i started to play Pirate101 was to escape the drama people started on Wizard101! Not only that, i have seen and heard of situations of people who are pretending to have adult relationships with each other, i thought this was a kid friendly game! Look I'm 15 years old and to see how people are treating each other is obscene. I'm not saying that Wizard101 is a bad game or Pirate101 for that matter, I'm saying that a lot of people are tired of the role play. It totally defeats the whole purpose of the game, which is level up your character by questing and having friends help along the way, not sit there and play mother and father. It is also a big issue in which people are using death threats, taunts, and threatening suicide over a silly argument in a game. I have seen a fight in Avery's court where a person said they were going to kill them self because of their boyfriend in game cheated on her. First off how can you cheat on someone in a game like this! Second why would you threaten to end your life over a in game relationship! Third and final statement on this topic, How do you know who is behind that character! For all we know they could be a 45 year old man who is trying to make people think he is a female and then trick a person into giving them there information because they are not who they say they were! Yes adults can play the game, but people got to be aware of the circumstances that people are not who they say they are. Everything i mentioned here is associated with role play! I am sick and tired of hearing stories about how someone on Pirate101 or Wizard101 turned out to be someone different then they claimed to be. People are not honest and that is why I believe that role play is toxic to this game. I understand this will get a large amount of dislike but please think to yourself, "are they really who they say they are?" Especially if you are under the age age of 18. People lie about their age all the time.

Thanks,
A dude who is just a Buccaneer
Welcome to the Message Boards, Imac1822.

There are two types of role-players: The bad role-playing as in families and relationships that I very much dislike, and the sessions we know as "role-plays". In these, you make your own character and pretty much "act" and "pretend" as if you're an actor. Several role-plays with my friends are:

  • Pretending to have powers.
  • Pretending to be ninjas.
  • And much more!
So, those are amazing, yet I completely understand everything you say about the "families."

One of my friends' friend had a wedding on Pirate101 with another Pirate! I told my friend, "That's just wrong."

A long time ago one friend in Pirate101 that was in my house (on the balcony of the Big House overlooking the steps back down) asked me if I would marry him! This kind of role-playing is just downright wrong, like I told my friend.

Two friends of mine were pretending to be father and daughter.

One friend said she was trying to "kill herself" and when I told her it wasn't funny and that she should stop right that instant, she did not.

However, if all you role-play about are characters and story-lines that have no intimacy or depth of love or hate, role-playing can be quite fun when your imagination can take you anywhere!

So, Imac1822, I'm not here to "hate" your post like you said. I'm here to agree with you 100% on telling you that sort of role-playing is not kid-friendly, but there's another kind of role-playing that you did not specify yet that is good, light and incredibly fun.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
567
By default: I do not like to roleplay. I am horrible at it. But like the instance you mentioned, it needs to STOP sometimes! Like in toontown rewritten, there are countless clans based of off the book series "Warrior Cats" Most of them were innocent... While others will go up (With like, 4 people) and go up and harass other players just because they are dogs, and that means they are "Wolves" They have caused server crashes by spamming and get really intense with their members sometimes, threatening to hack them if they don't show up to some meeting or something. They are not very nice to be around. I haven't encountered any pirate101 roleplayers, but I have encountered TONS on other games.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
826
This is why i think KI needs to give mod powers to some certain outstanding community members who play a lot so this game can get the policing it needs, there are a few people who get reported a lot and clearly break the ToS but are still running around with impunity

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
I've personally started to not ever go in Avery realm because of how I much prefer solitude away from the "weakest links" of our society

I only hang out in Blind Mew realm, the one below Avery, you only ever meet (occasionally) nice players who are normal and don't roleplay

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
524
zuto4011a on Jun 27, 2017 wrote:
This is why i think KI needs to give mod powers to some certain outstanding community members who play a lot so this game can get the policing it needs, there are a few people who get reported a lot and clearly break the ToS but are still running around with impunity
I agree. Today 3 pirates, Serious Joshua Nightingale, his sister/gf idk Darling Destiny, and some Winter PvP champion Blake/Blaze Jackson or something decided to gang up on me. Nearly every sentence was filled with a synonym of the word donkey, with prefixes of "dumb" and "stupid", they discussed how to beat me up to death in real life brutally, how I would sell "things" on ebay and more, whilst claiming how old and mature they were whilst I was an annoying kid. Time for p101 to make our own version of hall mods, "Court Captains".
_________________________________________________________________________________________

In regards to relationship roleplay, why? Just why? So much cringe. I thought I left that as a kid playing Club Penguin. Everyday in that game some penguin asks "any guys/girls there", and that stupid emoticon was being abused. Now p101 has nearly reached, if not surpassed, this level of craziness.

One thing can be certain. Hall mods are needed. ASAP!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1895
Honestly, your best defense is the IGNORE feature. Place all of the offending pirates on IGNORE.

We cannot control what other people choose to do in the game. We can, however, control our own actions and options.


Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9782
Golden Guardian on Jun 28, 2017 wrote:
I agree. Today 3 pirates, Serious Joshua Nightingale, his sister/gf idk Darling Destiny, and some Winter PvP champion Blake/Blaze Jackson or something decided to gang up on me. Nearly every sentence was filled with a synonym of the word donkey, with prefixes of "dumb" and "stupid", they discussed how to beat me up to death in real life brutally, how I would sell "things" on ebay and more, whilst claiming how old and mature they were whilst I was an annoying kid. Time for p101 to make our own version of hall mods, "Court Captains".
_________________________________________________________________________________________

In regards to relationship roleplay, why? Just why? So much cringe. I thought I left that as a kid playing Club Penguin. Everyday in that game some penguin asks "any guys/girls there", and that stupid emoticon was being abused. Now p101 has nearly reached, if not surpassed, this level of craziness.

One thing can be certain. Hall mods are needed. ASAP!
I'm so sorry you experienced that. No one should have to go through that. I hope you either reported them or placed them on "ignore".

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
Golden Guardian on Jun 28, 2017 wrote:
I agree. Today 3 pirates, Serious Joshua Nightingale, his sister/gf idk Darling Destiny, and some Winter PvP champion Blake/Blaze Jackson or something decided to gang up on me. Nearly every sentence was filled with a synonym of the word donkey, with prefixes of "dumb" and "stupid", they discussed how to beat me up to death in real life brutally, how I would sell "things" on ebay and more, whilst claiming how old and mature they were whilst I was an annoying kid. Time for p101 to make our own version of hall mods, "Court Captains".
_________________________________________________________________________________________

In regards to relationship roleplay, why? Just why? So much cringe. I thought I left that as a kid playing Club Penguin. Everyday in that game some penguin asks "any guys/girls there", and that stupid emoticon was being abused. Now p101 has nearly reached, if not surpassed, this level of craziness.

One thing can be certain. Hall mods are needed. ASAP!
I'm very sorry about your experience, Golden Guardian!

Yes, moderators like these are needed. In my imagining a better version of Pirate101 with things I would love, I oftentimes imagine KingsIsle hiring people to actually play the game and just sit in Avery's Court in the Avery Realm, and just watch people's arguments and good or bad conversations disguised as a regular Pirate. Real, actual playing, disguised moderators from KingsIsle.

I'm not so sure I could trust an ordinary person to be a moderator. Obviously, I'd definitely take that job as I am all about following rules and making any game I play (and even real life) be a safe and happy place to hang out.

Yes, Darius, I don't hang out on Avery either. Most of the time I hang out in Morgan Lafitte, as I'm a Swashbuckler and she's my Class Trainer, and even when I try to go to Mordekai for Kiley or Commodore for Nora or Ol' Fisheye for Destiny, I somehow always wind back up to Morgan Lafitte on all of my Classes! It must be the inner Swashbuckler inside of me!

And I do play Club Penguin, by the way. Well, used to. Did you leave Club Penguin or did you stay until it got shut down? Club Penguin, like a few other (Disney) games, shut down.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
826
Golden Guardian on Jun 28, 2017 wrote:
I agree. Today 3 pirates, Serious Joshua Nightingale, his sister/gf idk Darling Destiny, and some Winter PvP champion Blake/Blaze Jackson or something decided to gang up on me. Nearly every sentence was filled with a synonym of the word donkey, with prefixes of "dumb" and "stupid", they discussed how to beat me up to death in real life brutally, how I would sell "things" on ebay and more, whilst claiming how old and mature they were whilst I was an annoying kid. Time for p101 to make our own version of hall mods, "Court Captains".
_________________________________________________________________________________________

In regards to relationship roleplay, why? Just why? So much cringe. I thought I left that as a kid playing Club Penguin. Everyday in that game some penguin asks "any guys/girls there", and that stupid emoticon was being abused. Now p101 has nearly reached, if not surpassed, this level of craziness.

One thing can be certain. Hall mods are needed. ASAP!
dont worry, no one besides those 2 in the pvp community associate with that specific boosted champ, ki should give 1 or 2 pvp players mod abilities since theyll be the ones that actually know the trouble makers and spend significant time in pvp, i'd say give me mod but uh, ive had a few bans myself so i dont think i qualify

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
524
anecorbie on Jun 29, 2017 wrote:
I'm so sorry you experienced that. No one should have to go through that. I hope you either reported them or placed them on "ignore".
I reported them so much (because I wanted to type each offence) the game aoutmatically put them on my ignore list, so I am assuming the game just disregarded some of my reports too. Unlike a Facebook argument between a heated Clinton and Trump supporter back in Election Day where it's pretty much trashy swearing insults with the absence of civil discussion, their comments were of a threatening, sometimes obscene sexual nature, pretty much distasteful all round. I still see them, running around in their pack mentality either in the court or spar chamber. I want a hall mod to give them a 10 yr mute. I think they have done this to other pirates as well, and all of us don't seek ignorance from that ignore button, but justice.

Also it's time p101 stepped up the filter chat strength. <edit> If you want Jack let me know and I will send these words/phrases by email.

@AuroraParker, I played CP until 2014ish cause I still found it oddly fun, however my respect for it dropped thanks to the increasing amount of one day role play relationships. P101 thankfully has far less role play, however will the degree of romantic role play is excessively severe for a 10+ MMO, especially when they decide to have their chat in a public space like Avery's court.

Administrator
Golden Guardian on Jun 30, 2017 wrote:
I reported them so much (because I wanted to type each offence) the game aoutmatically put them on my ignore list, so I am assuming the game just disregarded some of my reports too. Unlike a Facebook argument between a heated Clinton and Trump supporter back in Election Day where it's pretty much trashy swearing insults with the absence of civil discussion, their comments were of a threatening, sometimes obscene sexual nature, pretty much distasteful all round. I still see them, running around in their pack mentality either in the court or spar chamber. I want a hall mod to give them a 10 yr mute. I think they have done this to other pirates as well, and all of us don't seek ignorance from that ignore button, but justice.

Also it's time p101 stepped up the filter chat strength. <edit> If you want Jack let me know and I will send these words/phrases by email.

@AuroraParker, I played CP until 2014ish cause I still found it oddly fun, however my respect for it dropped thanks to the increasing amount of one day role play relationships. P101 thankfully has far less role play, however will the degree of romantic role play is excessively severe for a 10+ MMO, especially when they decide to have their chat in a public space like Avery's court.
Yes, please send me your list to community@pirate101.com

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9782
I would like to see the ability to report extended to nonmembers; make the requirements like getting Open Chat.

1. Be a certain age.( I suggest 21+ )
2. Make a purchase from KI on line.
This would increase reporters and the age restriction would make sure there would be more responsible reporting.

Captain
Oct 26, 2012
524
One-Eyed Jack on Jun 30, 2017 wrote:
Yes, please send me your list to community@pirate101.com
I am in the middle of shifting houses today. I will send them as soon as I get Internet back on my pc. Sorry for the delay

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
Seriously, we need outstanding members to become mods

People like Anecorbie with the powers of a moderator could make this game a better place

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9782
Willowydream on Jun 29, 2017 wrote:
Honestly, your best defense is the IGNORE feature. Place all of the offending pirates on IGNORE.

We cannot control what other people choose to do in the game. We can, however, control our own actions and options.

While it's true that we have control over what we see, we do have a responsibility to try to make conditions better.
If you "ignore" them, they'll just seek out a fresh victim; one perhaps, who is more vulnerable & inexperienced of game options.
Reporting and KI following up with sanctions on the worse offenders is what's needed.

Ensign
May 30, 2017
2
Helpful Aurora Par... on Jun 27, 2017 wrote:
Welcome to the Message Boards, Imac1822.

There are two types of role-players: The bad role-playing as in families and relationships that I very much dislike, and the sessions we know as "role-plays". In these, you make your own character and pretty much "act" and "pretend" as if you're an actor. Several role-plays with my friends are:

  • Pretending to have powers.
  • Pretending to be ninjas.
  • And much more!
So, those are amazing, yet I completely understand everything you say about the "families."

One of my friends' friend had a wedding on Pirate101 with another Pirate! I told my friend, "That's just wrong."

A long time ago one friend in Pirate101 that was in my house (on the balcony of the Big House overlooking the steps back down) asked me if I would marry him! This kind of role-playing is just downright wrong, like I told my friend.

Two friends of mine were pretending to be father and daughter.

One friend said she was trying to "kill herself" and when I told her it wasn't funny and that she should stop right that instant, she did not.

However, if all you role-play about are characters and story-lines that have no intimacy or depth of love or hate, role-playing can be quite fun when your imagination can take you anywhere!

So, Imac1822, I'm not here to "hate" your post like you said. I'm here to agree with you 100% on telling you that sort of role-playing is not kid-friendly, but there's another kind of role-playing that you did not specify yet that is good, light and incredibly fun.
Hi,
I understand some role play is innocent and harmless. But this statement I made was directed towards people who are using a more adult/sexual usage of role play. I just want a game where kids are there to play and not have to worry about someone being crude and stepping over a line. The line in which a player is crude/sexual towards a younger player. Let's all be honest here, we tried to play through all the crude and sexual comments, but it's really gotten out of hand. So yes I understand that there is fun role play, but that is not the issue in which I wrote my comment above on.
Aye,
I'm just a dude trying to max his level 55 Buccaneer

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
anecorbie on Jun 30, 2017 wrote:
I would like to see the ability to report extended to nonmembers; make the requirements like getting Open Chat.

1. Be a certain age.( I suggest 21+ )
2. Make a purchase from KI on line.
This would increase reporters and the age restriction would make sure there would be more responsible reporting.
I definitely agree, but what about the nonmembers that are children and don't have money but want to keep Pirate101 a safe and happy place? Several of my friends have told me that there's been bad activity, but because they're nonmembers they can't report them! I do not tolerate that.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
witchdoctor daruis on Jun 30, 2017 wrote:
Seriously, we need outstanding members to become mods

People like Anecorbie with the powers of a moderator could make this game a better place
Yes, I believe Esperanza would be a great moderator. We just can't trust everyone with moderator powers, but like you said, people that believe in keeping Pirate101 a safer and happier place like Esperanza or I or even several of you that have this worry as a top priority would be great.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1413
lmac1822 on Jul 1, 2017 wrote:
Hi,
I understand some role play is innocent and harmless. But this statement I made was directed towards people who are using a more adult/sexual usage of role play. I just want a game where kids are there to play and not have to worry about someone being crude and stepping over a line. The line in which a player is crude/sexual towards a younger player. Let's all be honest here, we tried to play through all the crude and sexual comments, but it's really gotten out of hand. So yes I understand that there is fun role play, but that is not the issue in which I wrote my comment above on.
Aye,
I'm just a dude trying to max his level 55 Buccaneer
And that is exactly why I agree with you. The examples that I stated below are examples of this kind of behavior that I agree we should stop, all together as a community. I didn't state only the fun role-playing. Yes, I absolutely agree, Imac1822. And I want you to know this is a worry that is my top priority.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1895
anecorbie on Jul 1, 2017 wrote:
While it's true that we have control over what we see, we do have a responsibility to try to make conditions better.
If you "ignore" them, they'll just seek out a fresh victim; one perhaps, who is more vulnerable & inexperienced of game options.
Reporting and KI following up with sanctions on the worse offenders is what's needed.
Reporting is essential yes, for talk that is breaking the rules, but in-game bullies want to get a rise out of their victims. Responding to anything like that is just feeding them, and they get their kicks the more upset they make people. Report them and IGNORE is best, without asking them to stop or go away or anything that will require them to reply even more rudely.

If they are ignored by enough people and no one is taking their bait, they will get bored and go away.

Admiral
Jun 02, 2013
1465
anecorbie on Jun 30, 2017 wrote:
I would like to see the ability to report extended to nonmembers; make the requirements like getting Open Chat.

1. Be a certain age.( I suggest 21+ )
2. Make a purchase from KI on line.
This would increase reporters and the age restriction would make sure there would be more responsible reporting.
I agree I've been really wronged by KI's report system before

I saw a group of people inappropriately role playing in a bush one day and it was just the worst thing I have seen on the game to date, so I walked right over to them and simply said I was going to report them, they kind of laughed it off and I tried to report them realising my membership had ended and I couldn't, then they reported me!

I got an email from kingsisle saying that if I "do something like that again" I can get a permanent ban

Not only is the system useless but it's used against good players

Ensign
May 20, 2017
3
witchdoctor daruis on Jul 1, 2017 wrote:
I agree I've been really wronged by KI's report system before

I saw a group of people inappropriately role playing in a bush one day and it was just the worst thing I have seen on the game to date, so I walked right over to them and simply said I was going to report them, they kind of laughed it off and I tried to report them realising my membership had ended and I couldn't, then they reported me!

I got an email from kingsisle saying that if I "do something like that again" I can get a permanent ban

Not only is the system useless but it's used against good players
Oh dear, this is not ok! Why on Earth can't non members use the report system? I mean if a non member has issues with another player they should be able to report them but, nope.... Oh well, Kingsisle is always trying to improve their games so let's hope for the best.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meet me in game as
Andrew Silver (Name used in both Pirate 101 and Wizard 101)
Scott Emmett (Pirate 101)
Alexander Darkgem (Wizard 101)