Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Returning Player

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jan 27, 2015
So It's been some time since I played Pirate and am looking for some tips on how to train Old Scratch. My pirate just got him the other day and is a musketeer. I remember not being too impressed with this companion when the game first came out but maybe things have changed?

Any other tips or ideas for a returning player?

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
In Search of Yum on May 25, 2018 wrote:
So It's been some time since I played Pirate and am looking for some tips on how to train Old Scratch. My pirate just got him the other day and is a musketeer. I remember not being too impressed with this companion when the game first came out but maybe things have changed?

Old Scratch is one of the best companions for Musketeer's if your pirate has gear from the Tower Of Moo Manchu.

I would give Old Scratch:

Improved Mojo Blast 3 - This allows him to attack the largest area possible

Mojo Echo 2 - This is the Witchdoctor version of Relentless, allowing him to attack up to 3 more times if he has the second rank.

and finally

Coward's Bane 2 - This allows Old Scratch to make a bonus attack when the enemy disengages, I person find the second rank of this epic to be really fun and it causes Old Scratch to get more hits in.

Also give Old Scratch Accurate 4 if you can, his Accuracy is horrible without it.

My Musketeer A Roar A has Old Scratch as Third Mate, and my Privateer Die No has Old Scratch as Second Mate (though I am considering moving Old Scratch up to First Mate on my Privateer).

Two-Faced Aurora "A Roar A" Clegg - Level 70 Musketeer who does not make a roaring noise.

Two-Faced Dino "Die No" Clegg - Level 70 Privateer who can and does die from time to time.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
In Search of Yum on May 25, 2018 wrote:

Hiya there!

Welcome back to Pirate101. Unfortunately, I don't use Old Scratch much, so I can't really help out too much with that. May I ask what Level your Pirate is (for future reference, since you asked for any other tips)? Thanks!

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
I will give you the advice I give everyone -- use ALL of your companions, either the First Mate or Random setting allows you to judge for yourself whether or not they are any good. Depending on how YOU play the game, you may be pleasantly surprised.

For Old Scratch, his main issue has always been the chance to fizzle, so I always give mine Jobu's Ruse, and then, when he does hit, I prefer him to have Mojo Echo so that he can hit again. After using his mojo buffing abilities, he can be a serious contender.