References You'd Like to See?

AuthorMessage
Bosun
May 06, 2009
372
So for those of you who pay very close attention to the story line of either games, you'd notice that there is a reference to something at almost every corner. Whether it be something from very older times to the modern age you find something!

As we progress further in our travel to El Dorado, what are some references either in dialogue or quest titles you like to see? I would love it if they did a reference to Kelly Clarkson's song "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)." Couldn't you see someone saying in maybe Aquila "Well, it's like they say, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" after going through some perilous journey.

Or a reference to the Pirates of the Carribean where a character is named Jack Al Sparrow.
Another awesome reference later on could be an allusion to the Three Musketeers maybe somewhere down the line in Valencia.

The ideas are endless! What do you think would be a fun, humorous reference?

Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2012
187
Nice but could we merge this post with the others? because if every 3 days a post like this one comes out is not so fun at end .

Bosun
May 06, 2009
372
Clownsanity on Jan 29, 2013 wrote:
Nice but could we merge this post with the others? because if every 3 days a post like this one comes out is not so fun at end .
I suppose so. Great minds think alike so you're bonded to see the same idea, topic etc. over and over and over again. I've seen the demand for a Greek themed world come up over and over again. It is kinda annoying but whatever. Anyway yeah this can be merged with the others or whatever. I barely see any 'others' as they get pushed to the bottom has someone thinks of it. It seems only the popular ones matter. Eh.

[A slight feeling of Defeat] LOL

Bosun
May 06, 2009
372
Ok defeat time aside.

Even if a lot of people don't use this post, who's to say I can't use it as a dumping ground for multiple refernce ideas that I think would be awesome to add to the game?

So I thought of this reference:
How about a line in a boss fight or instance fight that alluded to Pat Benatar's song "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" and the Pixar movie "Rango"? Here's how it goes:

Unnamed Boss: Well, well, now! Aren't you're the real tough cookie with a long history, aren't ya? And now you've come to get me, huh? Alright, then! Put up your dukes and let's get down to it! Hit me with your best shot! Fire Away! I dare ya.

Bonnie Ann: Oh, my pleasure! And I'll only need one shot.

The boss uses multiple lines from Pat Benatar's song and Bonnie Ann is stating a tweaked line Rango said near the fight sence between him and the Snake Legend. Since Sparkshooters don't use bullets, it wouldn't make sense to leave as is.

SPOILER ALERT: In Marco Pollo's photo at the end of Cool Ranch, there is a big, buff guy whose head is cut off from his large size. I assume he will be in Aquila or Darkmoor. Maybe Polaris. Anyway, what if he said this line. I can't remember where it is from but we all know it, on way or another:

Big Guy: You want to get to El Dorado? You can't handle El Dorado!

Lol, these are pretty fun! I'm sure the KI crew gets a kick out of this when it comes to script writing!
I wonder what Blind Mew's got under his sleeves when he writes the quests...

Community Leader
Cunning Finnigan S... on Jan 29, 2013 wrote:
So for those of you who pay very close attention to the story line of either games, you'd notice that there is a reference to something at almost every corner. Whether it be something from very older times to the modern age you find something!

As we progress further in our travel to El Dorado, what are some references either in dialogue or quest titles you like to see? I would love it if they did a reference to Kelly Clarkson's song "What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)." Couldn't you see someone saying in maybe Aquila "Well, it's like they say, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" after going through some perilous journey.

Or a reference to the Pirates of the Carribean where a character is named Jack Al Sparrow.
Another awesome reference later on could be an allusion to the Three Musketeers maybe somewhere down the line in Valencia.

The ideas are endless! What do you think would be a fun, humorous reference?
Neat idea, ill see if I can come up with something.

"what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is a quote from author Friedrich Nietzsche.
So a reference to that phrase wouldnt necessarily indicate Clarkson (whom I had never heard of until this post).

Also as much as I love the movie series, it is unlikely they will put any Jack Sparrow references in, as that is a Disney Trademark. Maybe a Jacques Sparrow? ;)

KI did a great job with whats in there already, seldom a dull moment if one pays attention to the NPC names/comments...

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Ensign
Mar 14, 2009
2
One thing I know is that I would die of they had any Batman references.

Lieutenant
Dec 30, 2012
109
I'd like them to Add Sparrow to the last names when choosing a name for your character. I know it would be the new "Luke Skywalker" with everyone named Jack Sparrow, but it would be so cool!

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
34
Well, there are quite a number that I haven't seen/would like to see, as far as I've gotten in the storyline. Here're a few:
  • Considering how popular this other fanbase was, I was actually expecting to see a unicorn NPC named "Brillantezza di Crepuscolo" ("Twilight Sparkle") somewhere in Valencia.

  • Marleybone isn't out yet, but when it comes out, if I don't see Prospector Zeke looking searching for a set of scarab statuettes, or ball bearings used in rollers and made from stone, or miniature mechanical blimps made from lead, or antique horns used to proclaim the arrival of a king or noble (And I would sail 500 miles, and I would sail 500 more, just to be the 'rate who'd sail a thousand miles, a trainin' point in store), I will be sorely disappointed.

  • And, of course, Nobody expects the Monquistan Inquisition!!

Alas, alas.

Fair Winds and Following Skies,
~~ Noir The Sable

Richard Hawkins · Gilda

Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
145
ReadyRobin on Feb 8, 2013 wrote:
One thing I know is that I would die of they had any Batman references.
They have one, Lucius Fox. For Barbossa there could be Barbarossa from the Crown shop and he could drop the Barbarossa gear.
Bristly Kevin

Captain
May 13, 2011
564
Ruthless Anthony on Feb 9, 2013 wrote:
I'd like them to Add Sparrow to the last names when choosing a name for your character. I know it would be the new "Luke Skywalker" with everyone named Jack Sparrow, but it would be so cool!
there were a lot of girls choosing taylor swift on w101. a lot of girls choose bloody mary on p101. why not give a name for a lot of boys to choose in p101?

Administrator
Sneaky George Quar... on Feb 11, 2013 wrote:
there were a lot of girls choosing taylor swift on w101. a lot of girls choose bloody mary on p101. why not give a name for a lot of boys to choose in p101?
What? Morgan Freeman, Adam West, and James Kirk aren't good enough?

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Lieutenant
Apr 23, 2010
145
One-Eyed Jack on Feb 11, 2013 wrote:
What? Morgan Freeman, Adam West, and James Kirk aren't good enough?
That's hilarious
Bristly Kevin

Ensign
Dec 31, 2012
34
One-Eyed Jack on Feb 11, 2013 wrote:
What? Morgan Freeman, Adam West, and James Kirk aren't good enough?
...welp, I know what I'm choosing for my next alt name.