Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Prepare to be underwhelmed!

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
Just completed the mini dungeon where you have to sabotage the Armada's fort for Catbeard. For the last quest before Fort Elena, I was expecting a bit of a challenge.

After the first fight, I thought, "It looks hard enough" but then I went down inside to blow up the mechanism, and the battle went like

"Okay, epic fight. Must be hard. I chose... Kan Po, Naucissa from Gladiator bundle, and Birgus Latro. Okay- wait? Destroy kegs? Eh, must be another goal after this. I'll just barrage these two, Centaur's Charge this one, and attack this one. There, that's all four. Wait I won?! Already?!"

And the third fight was just like the first. After I beat fight 3, The goal was to destroy 4 kegs, but no enemies were even in the room with the kegs. When I realized that was it- that I had beat the dungeon- I was totally underwhelmed!

This is not the first time a presumably hard dungeon has underwhelmed me. I did Boot Hill with my brother who is level 15- The few extra minions he spawned made the fight harder, if anything, as he hid in the corner and his minions were good at diverting the enemies' attention for 3 rounds. But the fight was easy! I was chilling the whole time! The second fight was an embarrassment. My laptop ran out of power because fullscreen P101 got in the way of my "Low Battery" messages. My brother was able to stall for long enough for me to reboot and win the fight with a henchman, but still! Underwhelming plus!

Have you ever been expecting harder during a fight? Tell me when you have been totally underwhelmed!

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 30
Two-Faced Israel Jordan, Level 10

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Pokopolypse on Apr 29, 2014 wrote:
Just completed the mini dungeon where you have to sabotage the Armada's fort for Catbeard. For the last quest before Fort Elena, I was expecting a bit of a challenge.

After the first fight, I thought, "It looks hard enough" but then I went down inside to blow up the mechanism, and the battle went like

"Okay, epic fight. Must be hard. I chose... Kan Po, Naucissa from Gladiator bundle, and Birgus Latro. Okay- wait? Destroy kegs? Eh, must be another goal after this. I'll just barrage these two, Centaur's Charge this one, and attack this one. There, that's all four. Wait I won?! Already?!"

And the third fight was just like the first. After I beat fight 3, The goal was to destroy 4 kegs, but no enemies were even in the room with the kegs. When I realized that was it- that I had beat the dungeon- I was totally underwhelmed!

This is not the first time a presumably hard dungeon has underwhelmed me. I did Boot Hill with my brother who is level 15- The few extra minions he spawned made the fight harder, if anything, as he hid in the corner and his minions were good at diverting the enemies' attention for 3 rounds. But the fight was easy! I was chilling the whole time! The second fight was an embarrassment. My laptop ran out of power because fullscreen P101 got in the way of my "Low Battery" messages. My brother was able to stall for long enough for me to reboot and win the fight with a henchman, but still! Underwhelming plus!

Have you ever been expecting harder during a fight? Tell me when you have been totally underwhelmed!

I don't like to say when things get too easy. Ratbeard may hear about it.

Community Leader
Never underwhelmed, but then again I prefer the interactive story concept of this game. "Challenge" of battles doesn't even need to be implemented to keep me satisfied. Quite the contrary, too much challenge (ie difficult), battles turn me away.

KI has quite a challenge trying to make their fan base happy...

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012

This battle is a prequel to the more challenging Fort Elena. Don't worry you'll be facing stiffer competion as the game progresses....

Bosun
May 10, 2010
Just because there is a Sigil in front, doesn't mean it is some long hard dungeon.

People asked that there be other goals or objectives during fights, not always, defeat all enemies... We specifically asked for things like this, with exploding barrels and sabotage. The long hard dungeon is Fort Elena, not sure why you want long hard dungeon after long hard dungeon, to me, that would totally put me off the game rather than keep my interest.

If you think things are underwhelming, simply change your gear or weapons, use tier 2 or tier 3 companions, you can make this game as hard or as challenging as you want, the options are in your hands.

Ensign
Nov 01, 2012
Remember that kids (mainly speaking to 6-12 year olds) like an easy game. If Pirate101 was harder, not as many kids would play, which would mean losing millions of dollars. Most modern video games have easy storylines and good graphics. It isn't rocket science to see why it is easy. Because kids like easy games. Sorry I'm off the subject but maybe KI will make it a bit harder in an upcoming update

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
I know that many people do not want to be challenged to the point of explosion, me included, but KI could have made the dreadnaught at least hard enough to be worth playing. I am not expecting uber difficulty from a dungeon in the shadow of Fort Elena, but I am not expecting an excuse for a dungeon either. Putting in one or two more normal battles could have made a lame dungeon more fun. The concept of the exploding barrels was fun, but they could have added more. And if you think that the dreadnaught was an attempt to keep casual players satisfied, remember that THIS IS AFTER COOL RANCH!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Dr Zeppers on Apr 30, 2014 wrote:
Never underwhelmed, but then again I prefer the interactive story concept of this game. "Challenge" of battles doesn't even need to be implemented to keep me satisfied. Quite the contrary, too much challenge (ie difficult), battles turn me away.

KI has quite a challenge trying to make their fan base happy...
I too absolutely enjoy the interactive storyline and the great weaving of plots, subplots, dialogues & interactions and character/NPC developments...but I also equally enjoy a 'good' difficult challenge, at least here and there. I don't really want to breeze through anything just to enjoy the story, but at the same time I don't want to get so turned off by too much difficulty that the great story line gets drowned out by frustrations.

KI has found and implemented a way to allow us to "have our cake and eat it too", by allowing us to control the difficulty based on how we choose to play the game. It's just one of the many great things about P101. There are different difficulty options, we just have to implement them:

(Easy Mode)- You can breeze through, letting the story gently lead you through the game, by earning all XP and training points possible, thus leaving you several levels ahead of where you 'should be'. Also, by using all Companion training points possible to keep them on par with your pirate.

(Difficult Mode)- Avoid the extra XP/leveling, side quests and rewards, limit/avoid companion training, wear/use lower level gear/weapons, put 'lesser' companions at top of roster and still get by in the game, but keep things veeeerrrry interesting and difficult at times.

(Medium Mode)- Find a happy medium by just doing enough to get by to make it still a relaxed enjoyable gaming experience, where you can thoroughly enjoy the story, but at the same time there is not too much of a challenge to where you remove some of your hair from it's happy resting place.

And you are absolutely right, I so enjoy getting caught up and entranced by the great story they have created and developed for us to get lost in.........but at the same time I get quite a rush from the occasional, nail-biting, edge of my seat, teeth grinding, "OH NO! THIS IS THE END, CREW", type of challenge a difficult battle can produce.

The good news is that we the players can 'tweak' things to, in essence, make our own selves happy- we just have to take the time to do so. It's not always up to the developers to make everything the way we want it.

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
My previous post was hard to defend, but get this: on Fort Elena, the only companion that died was Sky Snake, who I hadn't been training and who had typical swashbuckler low health. I never got below 1/2 health at any point, and I only used Mojo Potions for touch ups before "hard" fights that were easy. I don't even do side quests! Unless my strategy rocks, something is seriously wrong!

Cunning Nicholas Sharp, Level 31
Two-Faced Israel Jordan, Level 11
Reliable David Ironside, Level 4

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Pokopolypse on May 7, 2014 wrote:
My previous post was hard to defend, but get this: on Fort Elena, the only companion that died was Sky Snake, who I hadn't been training and who had typical swashbuckler low health. I never got below 1/2 health at any point, and I only used Mojo Potions for touch ups before "hard" fights that were easy. I don't even do side quests! Unless my strategy rocks, something is seriously wrong!

Two-Faced Israel Jordan, Level 11
Reliable David Ironside, Level 4
Must a Companion be defeated for a dungeon to be considered 'challenging'? I remember Fort Elena very well, I thought it challenging enough, without completely grinding me into tiny pieces ( like Fort Basset ).

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012

Well, first it was people complaining that the game was getting too difficult in spots. Now it's too easy? First of all, the dungeon you mention is in fact one of the easier dungeons in the game. You will be relieved to hear that there are several that you won't be able to breeze through. Many you might not even be able to finish without help. There are harder ones. Much much harder ones. Many dungeons are harder or easier for certain classes due to the various types of NPC's involved. I think it was best said by the individual who stated that they enjoy the storyline aspect of the game more than the challenge of the battles. This is a game that doesn't necessarily center around combat. There are many little 'communities' within the game and there is much more going on than is apparent to the casual observer. However, if you continue to think that you need a bigger challenge, I would recommend PVP. It always offers a nice distraction from the game proper and in PVP you will encounter players who have been grinding and farming gear for months. They would be more than happy to 'challenge ' you.

Commodore
Jan 17, 2013

lol, just wait till ya hit khotan, then things will get tough! beileve me, dude, it took me, an able, strong, and very good looking (not!) swashbuckler and 2 other guys to beat it, you ain seen nothing yet. lol

Ensign
Nov 25, 2012
I'm sure I'll regret ever posting this once I reach Bishop on my Witchdoctor, but must I complete Skull Island, Monquista, Valencia, and Cool Ranch before I am challenged?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Shall we tell you about Deacon, or let you be 'surprised'?

Bosun
Apr 19, 2012
Pokopolypse on May 19, 2014 wrote:
I'm sure I'll regret ever posting this once I reach Bishop on my Witchdoctor, but must I complete Skull Island, Monquista, Valencia, and Cool Ranch before I am challenged?

Well, it's hard to say. It depends on how quickly you learn and how well you equip your pirate and build to their strengths. I remember having trouble with the buffaloons my first time around. After I maxed my first pirate and went back through Cool Ranch they didn't seem so bad, but this was with a different class of pirate. Each class might have trouble with different areas depending upon the NPCs you run across. My Swashbuckler hated the Satyrs whereas my Musketeer breezed through them. Flip side to that...my Swashbuckler had no trouble with Manticores while my Musketeer struggled with them. I will say that yes...there seems to be a jump in the level of difficulty from Cool Ranch to MooShu. An even bigger jump from MooShu to Marleybone. I have a pirate from each class and my Swashbuckler had the easiest go of them all. Perhaps after you max your Swashbuckler try a Witchdoctor, Buccaneer or Musketeer. These classes seem to require a little more strategy when questing and so they challenge you a bit more. To me, Swashbucklers and Privateers are the easiest classes to quest with.