Positively Pirate101-Great Game, Greater Influence

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
My 12 Days of the Spiral Blog Contest Entry.

Even though my soon-to-be 8 year old son & I are very close, we didn't always get as much quality time with each other as I desired. A lot of that changed when Pirate101 was introduced into our lives.

At his 7th birthday party, my son received a gift card to join the wonderful online worlds of P101. A few days later, after dogged nudging from him, I followed the instructions on the card, set up an account & voila....a new pirate captain was born. He could hardly wait to begin his pirating adventures. As for myself, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about but was willing to give it a shot. After watching him create his pirate, play the tutorial & set off questing, I must confess that he was not the only one hooked. In fact, we continued to spend the next few hours creating new pirates (over & over again) & began to delve deep into the amazing worlds of the KingsIsle Spiral. It wasn't long before we were playing side by side- sharing laughs, precious time & even the same chair.

From those early moments grew a deeper bond between a father & son, that I would have sworn no video game could ever have influenced. We can now be found daily, sharing that same seat (and many more laughs) as we try to thwart the evil plans of the Armada. I recall a time when I was cleaning some dishes as my son charged into battle against the notorious General Tso. Upon reaching the final battle against this cunning adversary, he ran into a rough spot. This was evident because over the sounds of dishes clanging and water running, my ears were rattled by the desperate plea of, "DADDY, DADDY...HELP...I CAN'T MAKE IT TO THE CHICKEN...HURRY!" Needless to say the dishes had to wait! With water still running, a wet soapy rag draped over my shoulder, & feet slipping all over the tile & hardwood floors, I charged with reckless frenzy to aid my little pirate buddy. Phew...disaster averted, we did indeed reach that chicken.

It's moments like this that showed me that Pirate101 has been more than just a game to my family. The creative & caring crew at KingsIsle has introduced so many of us to a truly amazing game that can be shared & enjoyed by families everywhere. Because of your creative compassion, you've helped me to see that no time is more precious than the time I spend with my loved ones. Some of the most touching moments I have had with my son this past year have been at the helms of our pirate ships. We will continue to sail the high skyways together, wherever our pirate adventures may lead.

I would like to take this moment to thank you KingsIsle, from the bottom of my heart, for helping bring a father & son that much closer. It has truly been a blessing to us & from my family to yours- I wish you all of the happiness in the world.

Happy Holidays!

From one Proud Pirate Dad,
Two-faced Valkoor Ohlen,

and his lifelong true First Mate,
Little Kai Easton


(to be explained further, ran out of characters)

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Hello fellow Message Board Marauders and pirates of all varieties.

I had this idea to start this thread a while back when the 12 Days of Christmas events were taking place. During that eventful and merry time, there was a blog contest that asked Pirate101 players and community members the question, "What has Pirate101 meant to you and your family?" I entered this contest and although I was not one of the chosen winners, I so enjoyed reading the winning entries and was moved by those that shared their stories with us. I wanted to do the same thing here on the message boards, but just not in the form of a contest, of course. But instead just to hear some of your great stories and find out what Pirate101 has meant to you, your family and those around you.

I would like to ask each an any of you who wish to, share what this amazing game has meant to you and how it may have had a positive effect on your life, your family and/or your friends. Please feel free to share and please don’t worry about any pressure on being too elaborate or not writing to the skill level of others. A simple “Pirate101 has helped me meet friends” is just as positive, perfectly well-stated and will be warmly received by your community of pirates.

Hope to hear some of your stories as to what Pirate101 has meant to you.

And thank you to all who are generous enough to share their thoughts.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
My 12 Days of the Spiral Blog Contest Entry.

Even though my soon-to-be 8 year old son & I are very close, we didn't always get as much quality time with each other as I desired. A lot of that changed when Pirate101 was introduced into our lives.

At his 7th birthday party, my son received a gift card to join the wonderful online worlds of P101. A few days later, after dogged nudging from him, I followed the instructions on the card, set up an account & voila....a new pirate captain was born. He could hardly wait to begin his pirating adventures. As for myself, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about but was willing to give it a shot. After watching him create his pirate, play the tutorial & set off questing, I must confess that he was not the only one hooked. In fact, we continued to spend the next few hours creating new pirates (over & over again) & began to delve deep into the amazing worlds of the KingsIsle Spiral. It wasn't long before we were playing side by side- sharing laughs, precious time & even the same chair.

From those early moments grew a deeper bond between a father & son, that I would have sworn no video game could ever have influenced. We can now be found daily, sharing that same seat (and many more laughs) as we try to thwart the evil plans of the Armada. I recall a time when I was cleaning some dishes as my son charged into battle against the notorious General Tso. Upon reaching the final battle against this cunning adversary, he ran into a rough spot. This was evident because over the sounds of dishes clanging and water running, my ears were rattled by the desperate plea of, "DADDY, DADDY...HELP...I CAN'T MAKE IT TO THE CHICKEN...HURRY!" Needless to say the dishes had to wait! With water still running, a wet soapy rag draped over my shoulder, & feet slipping all over the tile & hardwood floors, I charged with reckless frenzy to aid my little pirate buddy. Phew...disaster averted, we did indeed reach that chicken.

It's moments like this that showed me that Pirate101 has been more than just a game to my family. The creative & caring crew at KingsIsle has introduced so many of us to a truly amazing game that can be shared & enjoyed by families everywhere. Because of your creative compassion, you've helped me to see that no time is more precious than the time I spend with my loved ones. Some of the most touching moments I have had with my son this past year have been at the helms of our pirate ships. We will continue to sail the high skyways together, wherever our pirate adventures may lead.

I would like to take this moment to thank you KingsIsle, from the bottom of my heart, for helping bring a father & son that much closer. It has truly been a blessing to us & from my family to yours- I wish you all of the happiness in the world.

Happy Holidays!

From one Proud Pirate Dad,
Two-faced Valkoor Ohlen,

and his lifelong true First Mate,
Little Kai Easton


(to be explained further, ran out of characters)
Oh Valkoor that was beautiful and your praises for Pirate 101 couldn't have been more eloquently sang. Your skills as a loving and wonderful dad has taken what some use a a distraction to "Keep the kids occupied" to use as a wonderful bonding time with your son. Yes this game is amazing and the perfect tool to bring families together even when they live far away from each other but it is you and your loving Daddy skills that have equally made the difference to you and your son. I am sure your twins will also benefit equally when they become old enough. The combination of a great game like Pirate 101 and a loving parent just cannot be topped. Well done Valkoor, beyond well done.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
583
It be the sweetest letter I've heard in a long time mate ....*chokes back a tear*.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
Oh Valkoor that was beautiful and your praises for Pirate 101 couldn't have been more eloquently sang. Your skills as a loving and wonderful dad has taken what some use a a distraction to "Keep the kids occupied" to use as a wonderful bonding time with your son. Yes this game is amazing and the perfect tool to bring families together even when they live far away from each other but it is you and your loving Daddy skills that have equally made the difference to you and your son. I am sure your twins will also benefit equally when they become old enough. The combination of a great game like Pirate 101 and a loving parent just cannot be topped. Well done Valkoor, beyond well done.
Thank you very much Chrissy.

I just think that us players and members of the community should let the people at KI know that we are not simply only here to play a game. It shouldn't always be about us and what we want from them or out of the game, but instead to also show our praises and appreciation for how they listen to us and try their best to give us the best game and pirate experience possible.

With all of the recent updates and sneak peaks, they are further demonstrating that they do care about their community. Almost everything that has been shown to us in these recent sneak peeks, have been requests that we the players have made, somewhere down the line (if you look back through the game suggestions threads on the various sites- almost everything unveiled so far is there, as a request from us players).

I know that one of the biggest requests coming from the players has been new world content and many are unhappy that it hasn't arrived yet...but you can bet your boots it's on the way, that's a given. In the meantime they are offering so many new ways to enjoy the Spiral, based on our requests- it's not as if these new changes manifested out of thin air...most of them are our requests, and they listened. So, while we are waiting for the new world(s), why not enjoy and test out their generous offerings? I just think that we all should be a little more appreciative and let them know that we appreciate them appreciating us, and let them know what P101 has meant to us; as players, pirates, people, community members, friends and family.

And you are so right, when the twins come of age in the world of pirating- you can bet they will be there right beside their Daddy and big brother (what a crew), giving the Armada the what for. I just may have to get a bigger chair. If I have to, I'll put one on my shoulders, one on my back and one on my head- you can rest assured that my whole family will be sailing the skyways together. Oh, and you will be happy to know that My Lady Fair created her first pirate last night. SWEET VICTORY!!!

I would love to hear what P101 has meant to you Chrissy because I know that it has been a very positive influence on your life. And that goes for anyone else out there that would like to share their positive takes on what the game has meant to them as well.

Thanks again, Chrissy, for your kind words.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
jack morgan933 on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
It be the sweetest letter I've heard in a long time mate ....*chokes back a tear*.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
Thank you Jack, my friend.

I am glad that you are not too much of a macho pirate to show your kinder side. If you have anything to share as to why P101 has helped you or been a positive in your life, I would sure like to hear it. Let's let KI and the P101 community know that we appreciate this amazing game and their efforts as well.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 30, 2014 wrote:
Thank you very much Chrissy.

I just think that us players and members of the community should let the people at KI know that we are not simply only here to play a game. It shouldn't always be about us and what we want from them or out of the game, but instead to also show our praises and appreciation for how they listen to us and try their best to give us the best game and pirate experience possible.

With all of the recent updates and sneak peaks, they are further demonstrating that they do care about their community. Almost everything that has been shown to us in these recent sneak peeks, have been requests that we the players have made, somewhere down the line (if you look back through the game suggestions threads on the various sites- almost everything unveiled so far is there, as a request from us players).

I know that one of the biggest requests coming from the players has been new world content and many are unhappy that it hasn't arrived yet...but you can bet your boots it's on the way, that's a given. In the meantime they are offering so many new ways to enjoy the Spiral, based on our requests- it's not as if these new changes manifested out of thin air...most of them are our requests, and they listened. So, while we are waiting for the new world(s), why not enjoy and test out their generous offerings? I just think that we all should be a little more appreciative and let them know that we appreciate them appreciating us, and let them know what P101 has meant to us; as players, pirates, people, community members, friends and family.

And you are so right, when the twins come of age in the world of pirating- you can bet they will be there right beside their Daddy and big brother (what a crew), giving the Armada the what for. I just may have to get a bigger chair. If I have to, I'll put one on my shoulders, one on my back and one on my head- you can rest assured that my whole family will be sailing the skyways together. Oh, and you will be happy to know that My Lady Fair created her first pirate last night. SWEET VICTORY!!!

I would love to hear what P101 has meant to you Chrissy because I know that it has been a very positive influence on your life. And that goes for anyone else out there that would like to share their positive takes on what the game has meant to them as well.

Thanks again, Chrissy, for your kind words.
Here ya go Valkoor
My life used to be very different. I have done many things from television direction, camera, set design and all that goes with helping to start up a television studio in a small town, to being an on air DJ at stations in Ohio and California, to being a paramedic and loving every moment of being able to be the one that rushes to the aid of those in need and being the one with the knowledge to help. I gotta admit that the rush I felt the first time I drove an ambulance with lights and sirens a blazing really fed the kid in me even though it WAS a serious issue and my patient was just fine. When we did accident extrication training and I was the only girl in my class that could use the Jaws of Life by myself and I triumphantly tore the door off of a Pinto. I led a very active life and was full of the joys of a healthy body and the beauty in nature as I took hikes and climbed in the mountains of Southern California and swam in the beautiful oceans of Mexico. Then it happened. I had a desk job at the time and I gaily picked up a basket of files that was heavier than normal and I herniated 2 discs and caused several bulges. From vibrant and healthy to sudden and intractable pain that never stops, it only varies in intensity.
That was 15 years ago and I still fight that fight. Oh I have done every therapy imaginable and have done my battles with the great monster of depression. I did my best to try to keep my mind off of the pain. I finished my college degree and in the process I found my soulmate and was blissfully married for 7 years without one fight (Really ). Laughter fed our house and the distraction of caring for someone else did not make my pain go away, but it made it much easier to bear. That is where I learned my great lessons on how blessing someone else is the best thing there is to increasing the blessings in your life. When a transplant surgery gone wrong took my beloved from me my life changed again. Financial trials combined with the stock market crash and an unscrupulous employer going back on his benefits awarded as a result the house and car are gone and my stuff is in storage and I live with my sister.

I became a virtual shut in and depression loomed huge.
Then I discovered Pirate 101. A friend convinced me to try it and I was hooked from day 2. Ok I am a bit stubborn and had to push past day 1 . I just love the great jokes and the wonderful storyline and I began to make so many wonderful friends. One of them, Angel always seemed to be in the know about bugs and updates and I asked him how he knew so much. "I read the message boards" he said and encouraged me to. Thanks to his wise prodding I peeked my head in here and became instantly accepted. I applied my knowledge of blessing others and it has come back on me to make my life a pure joy now. You guys mean the world to me and you make up my world now. Every time I help a player or make a poster giggle my joy grows. Thanks KingsIsle You changed my life.

Lieutenant
Oct 12, 2010
183
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
My 12 Days of the Spiral Blog Contest Entry.

Even though my soon-to-be 8 year old son & I are very close, we didn't always get as much quality time with each other as I desired. A lot of that changed when Pirate101 was introduced into our lives.

At his 7th birthday party, my son received a gift card to join the wonderful online worlds of P101. A few days later, after dogged nudging from him, I followed the instructions on the card, set up an account & voila....a new pirate captain was born. He could hardly wait to begin his pirating adventures. As for myself, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about but was willing to give it a shot. After watching him create his pirate, play the tutorial & set off questing, I must confess that he was not the only one hooked. In fact, we continued to spend the next few hours creating new pirates (over & over again) & began to delve deep into the amazing worlds of the KingsIsle Spiral. It wasn't long before we were playing side by side- sharing laughs, precious time & even the same chair.

From those early moments grew a deeper bond between a father & son, that I would have sworn no video game could ever have influenced. We can now be found daily, sharing that same seat (and many more laughs) as we try to thwart the evil plans of the Armada. I recall a time when I was cleaning some dishes as my son charged into battle against the notorious General Tso. Upon reaching the final battle against this cunning adversary, he ran into a rough spot. This was evident because over the sounds of dishes clanging and water running, my ears were rattled by the desperate plea of, "DADDY, DADDY...HELP...I CAN'T MAKE IT TO THE CHICKEN...HURRY!" Needless to say the dishes had to wait! With water still running, a wet soapy rag draped over my shoulder, & feet slipping all over the tile & hardwood floors, I charged with reckless frenzy to aid my little pirate buddy. Phew...disaster averted, we did indeed reach that chicken.

It's moments like this that showed me that Pirate101 has been more than just a game to my family. The creative & caring crew at KingsIsle has introduced so many of us to a truly amazing game that can be shared & enjoyed by families everywhere. Because of your creative compassion, you've helped me to see that no time is more precious than the time I spend with my loved ones. Some of the most touching moments I have had with my son this past year have been at the helms of our pirate ships. We will continue to sail the high skyways together, wherever our pirate adventures may lead.

I would like to take this moment to thank you KingsIsle, from the bottom of my heart, for helping bring a father & son that much closer. It has truly been a blessing to us & from my family to yours- I wish you all of the happiness in the world.

Happy Holidays!

From one Proud Pirate Dad,
Two-faced Valkoor Ohlen,

and his lifelong true First Mate,
Little Kai Easton


(to be explained further, ran out of characters)
Tell yer son I wish the best of luck to him in the Skyways, and I know he'll be a proud pirate who commands those to hoist the main sails! I hope he becomes a pirate legend, at your side, ye pirate dad! His crew will probably be the best of the best (well, after yours of coarse: and Chrissy's).

Strong Andy Armstrong, lvl. 65 Privateer
Slick Luke Noble, lvl. 65 Musketeer

P.S. I wish him the best of luck, and make sure to tell him all of your piratey stories, like when the "Great Spring Update" happened, and when Avery got a bigger court! Remember, you and him will make the best Pirate team, Two-faced Valkoor Ohlen (I got to say, that's a mighty cool name ye got there)!

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
352
Can I say why I like it or what has brought me to it?
-romantic rebbeca ivring

Commodore
Jan 22, 2013
846
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Here ya go Valkoor
My life used to be very different. I have done many things from television direction, camera, set design and all that goes with helping to start up a television studio in a small town, to being an on air DJ at stations in Ohio and California, to being a paramedic and loving every moment of being able to be the one that rushes to the aid of those in need and being the one with the knowledge to help. I gotta admit that the rush I felt the first time I drove an ambulance with lights and sirens a blazing really fed the kid in me even though it WAS a serious issue and my patient was just fine. When we did accident extrication training and I was the only girl in my class that could use the Jaws of Life by myself and I triumphantly tore the door off of a Pinto. I led a very active life and was full of the joys of a healthy body and the beauty in nature as I took hikes and climbed in the mountains of Southern California and swam in the beautiful oceans of Mexico. Then it happened. I had a desk job at the time and I gaily picked up a basket of files that was heavier than normal and I herniated 2 discs and caused several bulges. From vibrant and healthy to sudden and intractable pain that never stops, it only varies in intensity.
That was 15 years ago and I still fight that fight. Oh I have done every therapy imaginable and have done my battles with the great monster of depression. I did my best to try to keep my mind off of the pain. I finished my college degree and in the process I found my soulmate and was blissfully married for 7 years without one fight (Really ). Laughter fed our house and the distraction of caring for someone else did not make my pain go away, but it made it much easier to bear. That is where I learned my great lessons on how blessing someone else is the best thing there is to increasing the blessings in your life. When a transplant surgery gone wrong took my beloved from me my life changed again. Financial trials combined with the stock market crash and an unscrupulous employer going back on his benefits awarded as a result the house and car are gone and my stuff is in storage and I live with my sister.

I became a virtual shut in and depression loomed huge.
Then I discovered Pirate 101. A friend convinced me to try it and I was hooked from day 2. Ok I am a bit stubborn and had to push past day 1 . I just love the great jokes and the wonderful storyline and I began to make so many wonderful friends. One of them, Angel always seemed to be in the know about bugs and updates and I asked him how he knew so much. "I read the message boards" he said and encouraged me to. Thanks to his wise prodding I peeked my head in here and became instantly accepted. I applied my knowledge of blessing others and it has come back on me to make my life a pure joy now. You guys mean the world to me and you make up my world now. Every time I help a player or make a poster giggle my joy grows. Thanks KingsIsle You changed my life.
*speechless* and sorry about your loss. Awhile back my great grandpa died, he was my stepdads so I didn't know him that much. (My mom met my stepdad when i was 6) but he meant allot to me. He was always happy and full of stories, whenever we came he always had a jar of candy waiting for us. But he lived so far away that we didn't get to see him often. But the way KI changes my life was that truthfully I didn't see allot of good in people, I only saw the bad. I would see flaws and things that they should change and after moving so much and seeing so much of that I just thought the whole world was filled with people like that. (Not literally of course) but when I started to play wizard101 there were still some pretty bad people, then pirate101 happened. When I first got on and started to see people (there wasn't as many as today because it just went live) I for the first time saw that my assumption was WAY off. And I continued to still see good people and still do. The message boards went farther in that area were I saw people like you who posted so many nice and encouraging things. Now I still see a little bad and a few flaws I've learned to focus more on there good qualities and I see more and more every day. Also another thing as with allot of people like me (indoors, nerds, still am proud to be one, secluded) tend to shun the thought of visitors and stuff like that. But now I would eagerly accept. And now I hang out with friends outside of school get fresh air (who new it would feel so good?) see the sun (I didn't know it was yellow) and see the colors of nature (so the leaves aren't always green?) and there are many more things KI has done for me that has changed my life for the better and who knows what else what'll change. (I'm young so there's allot to learn)

-Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
157
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Here ya go Valkoor
My life used to be very different. I have done many things from television direction, camera, set design and all that goes with helping to start up a television studio in a small town, to being an on air DJ at stations in Ohio and California, to being a paramedic and loving every moment of being able to be the one that rushes to the aid of those in need and being the one with the knowledge to help. I gotta admit that the rush I felt the first time I drove an ambulance with lights and sirens a blazing really fed the kid in me even though it WAS a serious issue and my patient was just fine. When we did accident extrication training and I was the only girl in my class that could use the Jaws of Life by myself and I triumphantly tore the door off of a Pinto. I led a very active life and was full of the joys of a healthy body and the beauty in nature as I took hikes and climbed in the mountains of Southern California and swam in the beautiful oceans of Mexico. Then it happened. I had a desk job at the time and I gaily picked up a basket of files that was heavier than normal and I herniated 2 discs and caused several bulges. From vibrant and healthy to sudden and intractable pain that never stops, it only varies in intensity.
That was 15 years ago and I still fight that fight. Oh I have done every therapy imaginable and have done my battles with the great monster of depression. I did my best to try to keep my mind off of the pain. I finished my college degree and in the process I found my soulmate and was blissfully married for 7 years without one fight (Really ). Laughter fed our house and the distraction of caring for someone else did not make my pain go away, but it made it much easier to bear. That is where I learned my great lessons on how blessing someone else is the best thing there is to increasing the blessings in your life. When a transplant surgery gone wrong took my beloved from me my life changed again. Financial trials combined with the stock market crash and an unscrupulous employer going back on his benefits awarded as a result the house and car are gone and my stuff is in storage and I live with my sister.

I became a virtual shut in and depression loomed huge.
Then I discovered Pirate 101. A friend convinced me to try it and I was hooked from day 2. Ok I am a bit stubborn and had to push past day 1 . I just love the great jokes and the wonderful storyline and I began to make so many wonderful friends. One of them, Angel always seemed to be in the know about bugs and updates and I asked him how he knew so much. "I read the message boards" he said and encouraged me to. Thanks to his wise prodding I peeked my head in here and became instantly accepted. I applied my knowledge of blessing others and it has come back on me to make my life a pure joy now. You guys mean the world to me and you make up my world now. Every time I help a player or make a poster giggle my joy grows. Thanks KingsIsle You changed my life.
... ...Chrissy, I cannot believe all that you have gone through and am so sorry for all the pain you have experienced, and also very happy for the joy you have managed to pull out of such an amazing game. When people share their life and how a little something has helped change it, It makes me so glad that I can experience the joy that you and many other people can take out of a spectacular community. Thank you KingsIsle for all your hard work to help change peoples lives.

Lieutenant
Dec 15, 2012
157
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Mar 29, 2014 wrote:
My 12 Days of the Spiral Blog Contest Entry.

Even though my soon-to-be 8 year old son & I are very close, we didn't always get as much quality time with each other as I desired. A lot of that changed when Pirate101 was introduced into our lives.

At his 7th birthday party, my son received a gift card to join the wonderful online worlds of P101. A few days later, after dogged nudging from him, I followed the instructions on the card, set up an account & voila....a new pirate captain was born. He could hardly wait to begin his pirating adventures. As for myself, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about but was willing to give it a shot. After watching him create his pirate, play the tutorial & set off questing, I must confess that he was not the only one hooked. In fact, we continued to spend the next few hours creating new pirates (over & over again) & began to delve deep into the amazing worlds of the KingsIsle Spiral. It wasn't long before we were playing side by side- sharing laughs, precious time & even the same chair.

From those early moments grew a deeper bond between a father & son, that I would have sworn no video game could ever have influenced. We can now be found daily, sharing that same seat (and many more laughs) as we try to thwart the evil plans of the Armada. I recall a time when I was cleaning some dishes as my son charged into battle against the notorious General Tso. Upon reaching the final battle against this cunning adversary, he ran into a rough spot. This was evident because over the sounds of dishes clanging and water running, my ears were rattled by the desperate plea of, "DADDY, DADDY...HELP...I CAN'T MAKE IT TO THE CHICKEN...HURRY!" Needless to say the dishes had to wait! With water still running, a wet soapy rag draped over my shoulder, & feet slipping all over the tile & hardwood floors, I charged with reckless frenzy to aid my little pirate buddy. Phew...disaster averted, we did indeed reach that chicken.

It's moments like this that showed me that Pirate101 has been more than just a game to my family. The creative & caring crew at KingsIsle has introduced so many of us to a truly amazing game that can be shared & enjoyed by families everywhere. Because of your creative compassion, you've helped me to see that no time is more precious than the time I spend with my loved ones. Some of the most touching moments I have had with my son this past year have been at the helms of our pirate ships. We will continue to sail the high skyways together, wherever our pirate adventures may lead.

I would like to take this moment to thank you KingsIsle, from the bottom of my heart, for helping bring a father & son that much closer. It has truly been a blessing to us & from my family to yours- I wish you all of the happiness in the world.

Happy Holidays!

From one Proud Pirate Dad,
Two-faced Valkoor Ohlen,

and his lifelong true First Mate,
Little Kai Easton


(to be explained further, ran out of characters)
Valkoor, that was wonderfully said. With my dad being extremely stressed and busy with work and college, I can imagine how great it feels to have someone to guide along and experience the game with, especially when it happens to be the person you admire so much. It is so cool to see how my younger sister responds when I say "I'll help you with Gortez," or "Do you need help with those Bumballoon?" Not only does it make them extremely happy but it makes me proud to be an example to them. Thank you for another great contribution and keep up the good work with Little Kai.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Here ya go Valkoor
My life used to be very different. I have done many things from television direction, camera, set design and all that goes with helping to start up a television studio in a small town, to being an on air DJ at stations in Ohio and California, to being a paramedic and loving every moment of being able to be the one that rushes to the aid of those in need and being the one with the knowledge to help. I gotta admit that the rush I felt the first time I drove an ambulance with lights and sirens a blazing really fed the kid in me even though it WAS a serious issue and my patient was just fine. When we did accident extrication training and I was the only girl in my class that could use the Jaws of Life by myself and I triumphantly tore the door off of a Pinto. I led a very active life and was full of the joys of a healthy body and the beauty in nature as I took hikes and climbed in the mountains of Southern California and swam in the beautiful oceans of Mexico. Then it happened. I had a desk job at the time and I gaily picked up a basket of files that was heavier than normal and I herniated 2 discs and caused several bulges. From vibrant and healthy to sudden and intractable pain that never stops, it only varies in intensity.
That was 15 years ago and I still fight that fight. Oh I have done every therapy imaginable and have done my battles with the great monster of depression. I did my best to try to keep my mind off of the pain. I finished my college degree and in the process I found my soulmate and was blissfully married for 7 years without one fight (Really ). Laughter fed our house and the distraction of caring for someone else did not make my pain go away, but it made it much easier to bear. That is where I learned my great lessons on how blessing someone else is the best thing there is to increasing the blessings in your life. When a transplant surgery gone wrong took my beloved from me my life changed again. Financial trials combined with the stock market crash and an unscrupulous employer going back on his benefits awarded as a result the house and car are gone and my stuff is in storage and I live with my sister.

I became a virtual shut in and depression loomed huge.
Then I discovered Pirate 101. A friend convinced me to try it and I was hooked from day 2. Ok I am a bit stubborn and had to push past day 1 . I just love the great jokes and the wonderful storyline and I began to make so many wonderful friends. One of them, Angel always seemed to be in the know about bugs and updates and I asked him how he knew so much. "I read the message boards" he said and encouraged me to. Thanks to his wise prodding I peeked my head in here and became instantly accepted. I applied my knowledge of blessing others and it has come back on me to make my life a pure joy now. You guys mean the world to me and you make up my world now. Every time I help a player or make a poster giggle my joy grows. Thanks KingsIsle You changed my life.
Thank you so much for sharing Chrissy.

I know that we have gotten to know each other a bit in the past few months and you have been so kind to share some of your life's adventures, joys and hardships with me and I thank you for trusting enough to do so. That being said, even though I knew some of these facts about your life, it still pains me to know that you, someone so sweet and caring, have had to endure so much. That is part of the reason why I am so glad that you chose to share- so that you could further serve as an inspiration to those here who may be facing struggles of their own. To be so kind, so uplifting, so generous, so encouraging and so warm hearted after having faced some of what you have in life, is a testament to you being as strong and persevering as they come.

It sounds as though you have been a part of so many amazing things in your life and I am so happy that you found a safe haven in Pirate101 and the P101 community, amidst any turmoil that confronted you. And by doing so, you have blessed so many people and been very inspiring to all of us here on the boards. I am so glad you found Pirate101 and so very glad that we were given the opportunity to know you and be inspired by you. And your sharing is such an amazing example of how KI and P101 has touched your life and in turn allowed you to touch others as well.

Again, thank you so much for sharing with us

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
1Of1Musketeer on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Tell yer son I wish the best of luck to him in the Skyways, and I know he'll be a proud pirate who commands those to hoist the main sails! I hope he becomes a pirate legend, at your side, ye pirate dad! His crew will probably be the best of the best (well, after yours of coarse: and Chrissy's).

Strong Andy Armstrong, lvl. 65 Privateer
Slick Luke Noble, lvl. 65 Musketeer

P.S. I wish him the best of luck, and make sure to tell him all of your piratey stories, like when the "Great Spring Update" happened, and when Avery got a bigger court! Remember, you and him will make the best Pirate team, Two-faced Valkoor Ohlen (I got to say, that's a mighty cool name ye got there)!
Thank you Andy/Luke, those are very kind words. And you betcha, he's already a pretty fine Captain in his own right and in fact he has gotten through some spots in the game with less trouble than I did- as I just sat there in disbelief. But I can't let him know that, now can I...a pirate's pride can not be compromised at any cost. Thank you for the nice wishes and you can bet that we will document and relive many of the great piratey stories (from many of you as well). Sir Gus's name must live on.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment on the name. It doesn't really have much significance besides the fact that along with pirate history & lore, I also have an interest in Vikings and Norse (and Samurai) History and culture. I wanted to try to blend my interests in both Pirate and Viking culture and Valkoor Ohlen (kind of like the Norse God Odin) sounded the most Viking/Norse to me. Also, some Vikings had names consisting of 'nicknames' like Eric the Red, Ingvar the Far-Travelled, Ivar the Boneless, Sigrid the Haughty (yes a lady Viking) and Thorfinn the Valiant, to name a few. I thought that Two-Faced was the only adjective that sounded Viking-y If you meet Valkoor, you'll also see that he has long red hair (pony-tailed) and is very light complexioned, as many Vikings are often depicted. I don't have long red hair in real life, but I just may be a Viking...or a Pirate- you never know.

Thanks again for the nice thoughts and wishes!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
krokotopia pirate on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Can I say why I like it or what has brought me to it?
-romantic rebbeca ivring
Absolutely, without a doubt Rebecca. I, and many others, would love to hear what positives KI and Pirate101 has brought to you. That is what the whole purpose of this thread is- to let KingsIsle and the P101 community know that it is more than just a game to us, having also been a great influence and source of joy to many of us as well.

So, please feel free to share, Rebecca- but only if you want to. I can't wait to hear from you and as many fellow pirates as possible, who are willing to share their fondness and appreciation for this fantastic game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
sparticus32 on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
*speechless* and sorry about your loss. Awhile back my great grandpa died, he was my stepdads so I didn't know him that much. (My mom met my stepdad when i was 6) but he meant allot to me. He was always happy and full of stories, whenever we came he always had a jar of candy waiting for us. But he lived so far away that we didn't get to see him often. But the way KI changes my life was that truthfully I didn't see allot of good in people, I only saw the bad. I would see flaws and things that they should change and after moving so much and seeing so much of that I just thought the whole world was filled with people like that. (Not literally of course) but when I started to play wizard101 there were still some pretty bad people, then pirate101 happened. When I first got on and started to see people (there wasn't as many as today because it just went live) I for the first time saw that my assumption was WAY off. And I continued to still see good people and still do. The message boards went farther in that area were I saw people like you who posted so many nice and encouraging things. Now I still see a little bad and a few flaws I've learned to focus more on there good qualities and I see more and more every day. Also another thing as with allot of people like me (indoors, nerds, still am proud to be one, secluded) tend to shun the thought of visitors and stuff like that. But now I would eagerly accept. And now I hang out with friends outside of school get fresh air (who new it would feel so good?) see the sun (I didn't know it was yellow) and see the colors of nature (so the leaves aren't always green?) and there are many more things KI has done for me that has changed my life for the better and who knows what else what'll change. (I'm young so there's allot to learn)

-Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer
How cool Jack. What wonderful memories you have of him. A good teacher I know says that "We are the curators of the museum about their life." So by sharing your memories you are showing us through the scene that reminds us all how wonderful he was to you.
I am SO glad that you are learning to see the good in folks and the beauty in our world. Sure we all have faults but if we focus on just that the world looks pretty bleak. When you focus on the good stuff and praise the positive in others it really makes the negative shrink back to practically nothing. I am so thrilled that what you are learning from interactions with the doorways KingsIsle has given us is to see the good and not just the bad and complain and give in. These wonderful games teach us to persevere and to help others for in doing that we do the greatest help to ourselves. The hard work from all the geniuses at KingsIsle pay off in so many more wonderful ways than just graphics and sound. No, they make true magic, they bring us together and help us to grow and be better, if we let them.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
sparticus32 on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
*speechless* and sorry about your loss. Awhile back my great grandpa died, he was my stepdads so I didn't know him that much. (My mom met my stepdad when i was 6) but he meant allot to me. He was always happy and full of stories, whenever we came he always had a jar of candy waiting for us. But he lived so far away that we didn't get to see him often. But the way KI changes my life was that truthfully I didn't see allot of good in people, I only saw the bad. I would see flaws and things that they should change and after moving so much and seeing so much of that I just thought the whole world was filled with people like that. (Not literally of course) but when I started to play wizard101 there were still some pretty bad people, then pirate101 happened. When I first got on and started to see people (there wasn't as many as today because it just went live) I for the first time saw that my assumption was WAY off. And I continued to still see good people and still do. The message boards went farther in that area were I saw people like you who posted so many nice and encouraging things. Now I still see a little bad and a few flaws I've learned to focus more on there good qualities and I see more and more every day. Also another thing as with allot of people like me (indoors, nerds, still am proud to be one, secluded) tend to shun the thought of visitors and stuff like that. But now I would eagerly accept. And now I hang out with friends outside of school get fresh air (who new it would feel so good?) see the sun (I didn't know it was yellow) and see the colors of nature (so the leaves aren't always green?) and there are many more things KI has done for me that has changed my life for the better and who knows what else what'll change. (I'm young so there's allot to learn)

-Jack nightgale lvl 65 buccaneer
Well, I too am sorry about the loss of your great grandpa. It is very nice that you got to see him, albeit seldom, as many don't get a chance to have fond memories with, much less meet their great grandparents- I am happy that you at least were able to share some with him.

Thank you for sharing why KI has changed your life for the better. You are right, there is so much out there that is negative that it can be easy to be blind to the positives. It seems more and more the majority of what is on the news or brought to the public light is of a negative nature and it can be very discouraging to say the least. The fact that KI, P101 and the message boards have helped you find some of those 'hidden' positives, just goes to prove even more that this game and experiences from it are pretty darn awesome. Keep carrying that 'nerd' flag high and be proud of you, no matter what. I do hope you wore some Sunscreen to protect your skin from that surprisingly yellow sun, lol- you still crack me up Jack.

Enjoy your being young and soak up as much knowledge and enjoyment as you can, while you are young. Again, thanks for sharing with us.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
krokotopia pirate on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Can I say why I like it or what has brought me to it?
-romantic rebbeca ivring
That sounds like a wonderful idea Rebecca. That's just the ticket to show the good stuff about our beloved game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Witty Gavin on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
Valkoor, that was wonderfully said. With my dad being extremely stressed and busy with work and college, I can imagine how great it feels to have someone to guide along and experience the game with, especially when it happens to be the person you admire so much. It is so cool to see how my younger sister responds when I say "I'll help you with Gortez," or "Do you need help with those Bumballoon?" Not only does it make them extremely happy but it makes me proud to be an example to them. Thank you for another great contribution and keep up the good work with Little Kai.
Sounds like you are being the great mentor and a big brother that they all look up to. Well done Gavin. No wonder being a pirate captain feels natural to you, you already have a great crew you are leading now. Younger siblings watch the older ones closely and you are showing them with your actions how a virtuous person acts, pirate or not.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Witty Gavin on Apr 1, 2014 wrote:
Valkoor, that was wonderfully said. With my dad being extremely stressed and busy with work and college, I can imagine how great it feels to have someone to guide along and experience the game with, especially when it happens to be the person you admire so much. It is so cool to see how my younger sister responds when I say "I'll help you with Gortez," or "Do you need help with those Bumballoon?" Not only does it make them extremely happy but it makes me proud to be an example to them. Thank you for another great contribution and keep up the good work with Little Kai.
Thank you Gavin.

And yes life can be pretty busy and stressful when you are an adult and have major responsibilities to tend to. The balancing of work, college, social and family can be quite a tightrope act. It has been a blessing to be able to spend time enjoying the Spiral and P101 with my son. I do try to commit as much time to him and my babies as possible but it can be tough, with so many things 'trying to prevent that'. I cherish every moment and so enjoy being a coach on all of his sports teams, reading him a good book (or having him read one to me), drawing with him, having an EPIC wrestling match, swordfight or hockey match in the house (our poor walls). And I can't wait to do more of the same with the babies.

You should be very proud of your playing such a positive role for your sister to look up to. I am sure it means the world to her and is something she will hold dear to her forever. Little things like that can make a tremendous difference to someone, especially a younger sibling. I truly hope that life 'slows down' a bit and you get soooooooooooo much more time to spend with your dad. I know it can be hard because growing up my dad worked a whole lot. That is why every chance you do get with him, make it the best experience it can be- for both of you.

Again, thank you very much Gavin and I wish you and your family the best of luck.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5736
I have a great family and many friends, and they're wonderful, but they don't share my passions of literature, art and history. When I make a reference to something or tell them "Hey, did you know...?' I usually get a blank stare. Anyway I want to say that I'm glad I got so bored waiting for an update that I decided to check out the message boards and found people with similar interest and outlook and a wacky sense of humor. All of you, who I've recently met here, just want to say Thank You and KI, you have made a difference to me - and as I see from these posts, others.

Gunner's Mate
Apr 13, 2010
224
Please excuse me while I get a tissue. Its so bee-you-tiful. We interrupt this post with Ratbeard and Bonnie Anne fighting... Ok, I'm back. Applause to you, Valkoor. Do your kids call you Pirate Daddy?

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
352
"It all started a few years ago when I was on wizard101.I was hoping for a new game that would bring us all around the spiral and there a few months later a new game comes out it was called pirate101.i was hooked on the new game.I had to get to beta.then I realized oh no they are out of beta keys.so I then saw a bundle a few months later bought it and I gained access to the game.they is not much to tell
But anyway It made me happy and I am happy that I did it thank you all for this wondeful experience
But there is not much to tell about it
-krokotopia pirate(romantic rebbeca ivring)

Bosun
Sep 09, 2010
352
Anyway I was so hooked on it that I tried to do the whole game in beta but couldn't
Then life got in the way
Thank you ki for the wonderful challenge that you have created I am sure it will be enjoyed for years to come

Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
892
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 31, 2014 wrote:
Here ya go Valkoor
My life used to be very different. I have done many things from television direction, camera, set design and all that goes with helping to start up a television studio in a small town, to being an on air DJ at stations in Ohio and California, to being a paramedic and loving every moment of being able to be the one that rushes to the aid of those in need and being the one with the knowledge to help. I gotta admit that the rush I felt the first time I drove an ambulance with lights and sirens a blazing really fed the kid in me even though it WAS a serious issue and my patient was just fine. When we did accident extrication training and I was the only girl in my class that could use the Jaws of Life by myself and I triumphantly tore the door off of a Pinto. I led a very active life and was full of the joys of a healthy body and the beauty in nature as I took hikes and climbed in the mountains of Southern California and swam in the beautiful oceans of Mexico. Then it happened. I had a desk job at the time and I gaily picked up a basket of files that was heavier than normal and I herniated 2 discs and caused several bulges. From vibrant and healthy to sudden and intractable pain that never stops, it only varies in intensity.
That was 15 years ago and I still fight that fight. Oh I have done every therapy imaginable and have done my battles with the great monster of depression. I did my best to try to keep my mind off of the pain. I finished my college degree and in the process I found my soulmate and was blissfully married for 7 years without one fight (Really ). Laughter fed our house and the distraction of caring for someone else did not make my pain go away, but it made it much easier to bear. That is where I learned my great lessons on how blessing someone else is the best thing there is to increasing the blessings in your life. When a transplant surgery gone wrong took my beloved from me my life changed again. Financial trials combined with the stock market crash and an unscrupulous employer going back on his benefits awarded as a result the house and car are gone and my stuff is in storage and I live with my sister.

I became a virtual shut in and depression loomed huge.
Then I discovered Pirate 101. A friend convinced me to try it and I was hooked from day 2. Ok I am a bit stubborn and had to push past day 1 . I just love the great jokes and the wonderful storyline and I began to make so many wonderful friends. One of them, Angel always seemed to be in the know about bugs and updates and I asked him how he knew so much. "I read the message boards" he said and encouraged me to. Thanks to his wise prodding I peeked my head in here and became instantly accepted. I applied my knowledge of blessing others and it has come back on me to make my life a pure joy now. You guys mean the world to me and you make up my world now. Every time I help a player or make a poster giggle my joy grows. Thanks KingsIsle You changed my life.
....Chrissy, I'm really sorry that happened to you... I understand the pain....

Since I was in kindergarten, other children have bullied me and teased me, telling me they hate me and that I'd never have any friends. It wasn't even that bad back in there. But when my family moved, things only became much, much worse. I was a shy first grade student, with an extreme love for chapter books with no pictures. I was ahead of everyone I knew in reading. And of course... They made fun of me for it. I was younger than all of them except one person, and they hated that I was more intelligent. I never told anyone about it. I smiled and went on my way. But over the years that smile disappeared. In second grade, the girls would leave me out and ignore me and tell me I couldn't play with them because of something I did or hadn't done. They wouldn't talk to me or acknowledge my presence. They wouldn't look at me, even though I was there. In third grade, the word of bullying passed to my parents, and they wanted to stop it, but my teacher insisted that interfering would make it worse and they had to leave me on my own to deal with it. I felt unloved. I was lonely... But I made one friend, Esmee as I'll call her. She gave me a chance, and helped me and found happiness with me. But my happiness never returned... We were genuine friends, but she was the most popular girl in my class and EVERYONE wanted her friendship. They told her not to talk to me, and she didn't listen, but it hurt.
This worsened over the years. Bullying got worse, the teasing got worse, and whenever I accidentally angered any of the other girls besides Esmee they'd take it out on me in Physical Education, aiming head shots with basketballs and in dodgeball. It hurt physically, a lot. It reinforced my loneliness, and all of this continued on for a long while and didn't stop. One year, it got awful. I was suffering emotions I couldn't control, problems which my parents wouldn't let me help with, and two of our pets.... Died. One of the dogs was older than I was, and she had a disease which left her in constant pain, so we.... The other, the cat I named myself, died of a heart attack when I wasn't even home. It hurt. A lot. The bullying worsened and I forced myself into becoming depressed and a hikikomori (shut-in), leaving myself to wonder alone if it would ever get better. I hated it all, and nothing good ever seemed to happen for me. I became homeschooled and had thoughts of suicide several times- but Kingsisle's game, Wizard101, helped to take some of the pain away. I met four people there, one of them who had gone through similar situations, and she helped me a lot. She helped me not feel so bad, she helped me not be so angry or sad or see myself as worthless. If I hadn't resumed playing the game and eventually starting Pirate101.... I wouldn't be standing here right now, typing this.

Ciao.