Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Phobias

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
TucsonWizard on Mar 18, 2016 wrote:
So, yer sayin' if Cavity Carl challenges you to some sabre crossin' yer gonna hafta think twice about it?
Bears are my thing. I've never seen a bear in the wild but for some deep seeded unconscious reason I have a fear of them. Hmm... I guess maybe the fact that they can run faster, climb farther and, oh yeah, not to forget bite harder than me might have something to do with it.
Yet when I defeat Carl over and over I will feel twice as much better.

Welcome to the message boards by the way. That thing with bears doesn't sound like a phobia, that just sounds like common sense.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Mar 17, 2016 wrote:
Fear, we all have felt it, but some feel it more than others. I wonder how someone with this condition can play an MMORPG.
I mean one of those crippling type of fears that leave the sufferer sweaty, and with an elevated heart-rate.
I used to be terrified of spiders when I was much younger, I even refused to touch a page that had a picture of a spider on it. And when my sister expressed a wish to have a tarantula as a pet; I remembered how her gerbil escaped from it's cage and I commented: "If you get a tarantula and it escapes, you won't have a tarantula anymore!"
Well and what about snakes and lizards, these are some of the top fears among people.
I have yet to see or play an MMO that didn't have giant snakes or spiders ( even Disney's Pixie Hollow, and let me tell you for a girly game about fairies, it had the scariest spiders I have yet seen. )
So what I want to know is - do you have a phobia and does it affect how you play P101 or W101 ( or any other MMO? )
I honestly can say that I've never truly felt fear and/or dread and/or suffered from any actual phobias. That is until I had kids. Still I won't call what I've felt (and feel) as complete fear or phobia-- but maybe something more like paranoid concern.

I find myself concerned, overly at times, with my children's well-being and their path to their futures. When they were babies I worried over things such as accidents while sleeping and things that were pretty much beyond my control. As they've grown and made it through those concerning obstacles, I find myself worrying about them playing outside, being in school and possibly being exposed to the ever-growing and terrifying real-life monsters out there-- and how do I know my kids are safe, at all times (can we ever truly know that, anyways?). I find myself often experiencing trepidation over whether or not I steer them in the right direction as they develop?; will they make the right decisions- will I?; will they find and hold onto happiness that they deserve and that I wish for them; will they make it through all of those tough times that we all have had to, and still do, go through.

I've never been a worrier or someone that is afraid of anything. I'm 6'3", outdoors-y, athletic, have a high tolerance for pain and am not afraid to do any dirty work-- so snakes, bugs, being in a graveyard alone on a dark night, confrontations, getting hurt and such-- I feel I can, and have, absolutely handle(d). I have a level head, so I can make rash decisions and not let emotions get the best of me or allow fear to set in. Buuuut when it comes to the safety, well-being and uncertain future of my kids...I admit that I get a bit scared.

But all we can do is be there for them and trust in them as they grow and guide them the best we can. In the end I will be proud no matter what and will surely stand strong and fearless, and be that warrior for them...as all parents do.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
CdeWinter on Mar 20, 2016 wrote:
Ah, phobias, if I have one, I haven't found it yet. And trust me, for some reason I've tried to find it.
Creepy Crawlies, nope, I used to work with those awesome little guys. Plenty of people, when learning that I used to work as a biologist assume I was working with cute fuzzy critters, but nope, I was studying aquatic invertebrates, usually the creepies, crawliest, and slimiest of the lot.

Blood and gore? Nope, my first thought of a career was as a veterinarian. As such I got my self a part time job in an animal hospital, (cleaning up some rather disgusting messes) helping with surguries and autopsies.

Heights, small spaces, etc. Well, basic training for the military took care of those. Rappelling from a helicopter skid, crawling through unlit tunnels on the assualt course, climbing over cargo netting with full combat gear on. Easy.

Never had an issue with needles, (I tend to unnerve the doctors/nurses as I watch the needle go into my arm)

Darkness, I love the dark, and night time. The only thing different from night to day is the lack of light.

Snakes, I used to chase my sisters around the backyard with snakes.

Flying? Ha! I'm Airforce.

But, I am interested in how other people are scared by in game creatures, they can't even touch you like a real spider can.
I think the issue there, Scarlet, is what they look like and how they move.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
anecorbie on Mar 20, 2016 wrote:
Welcome to the message boards, TucsonWizard - and don't forget that bears also have razor sharp claws!
Sorry I just had to mention that....
Many thanks for the welcome. As you can see by my name I've migrated over from the W101 board. (Aye, I've crossed over to the black!)
And yes, the razor sharp claws thing, big shiny teeth, ravenous hunger... all combined with a downright nasty attitude.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Mar 21, 2016 wrote:
Yet when I defeat Carl over and over I will feel twice as much better.

Welcome to the message boards by the way. That thing with bears doesn't sound like a phobia, that just sounds like common sense.
I used to think it was just common sense too but I've actually had nightmares about bears which moves it over into the subconscious realm. Now I simply remind myself that I don't have to be faster than the bear... I just have to be faster than the other guy who's running from the same bear.

Lieutenant
May 26, 2013
Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
TucsonWizard on Mar 21, 2016 wrote:
I used to think it was just common sense too but I've actually had nightmares about bears which moves it over into the subconscious realm. Now I simply remind myself that I don't have to be faster than the bear... I just have to be faster than the other guy who's running from the same bear.
Now, I know that this probably won't help at all, but...from someone who has had encounters with bears, there's really not much to worry about. Like with most large animals, bears will leave you alone, if you respect them and leave them alone. Don't bother or annoy them, don't get too close, don't act as competition for their food source and don't threaten them.

The majority of bears won't attack unless they feel threatened, or they are looking for food. Which is why (regarding the food) you store food and dispose of food properly while in Bear country, don't walk around carrying food where a bear might be attracted, and be aware near potential food sources in the early morning and late evening.

Also, don't run from a bear, just keep your distance and back away slowly at a walking pace, turning and running will frequently trigger a carnivore/omnivore's hunting drive or instinct making them more likely to chase.

I've witnessed several instances where bears have been surprised and scared by humans, in fact I've done it myself accidently. The bear and I were gathering berries at the same bush, but on opposite sides, without knowing it. When we stood up at the same time, I froze, and the bear made a bit of higher pitched woofing sound before turning around and running off into the woods.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
What was my biggest fear was the gerndle in Girzzlehim. They remind me the scariest movie I have seen,when i was a kid.That movie was called Germlings,scary little guys that look like ferbees at frist. That was one movie that left a mark as a kid,that is way I make sure there no Germling hiding in my pot of soup.

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
Monkrinx2024 on Mar 21, 2016 wrote:
What was my biggest fear was the gerndle in Girzzlehim. They remind me the scariest movie I have seen,when i was a kid.That movie was called Germlings,scary little guys that look like ferbees at frist. That was one movie that left a mark as a kid,that is way I make sure there no Germling hiding in my pot of soup.
Do you mean Gremlins? Lol, I always thought that movie was cute! Except for maybe Spike... and the rest of those darned creepy mutated ones ;-)

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
Personally, all I'm really scared of are dolls. Barbie, American Girl, Cabbage Patch, Baby Alive... all of them give me the shivers. And it doesn't help that my girly-girl sister has a huge collection of them. What also doesn't help is that my sister's room is right next to mine... and the kitchen... where the knives are... Remind me to get a couple locks for my door

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Red Pirate on Mar 22, 2016 wrote:
Personally, all I'm really scared of are dolls. Barbie, American Girl, Cabbage Patch, Baby Alive... all of them give me the shivers. And it doesn't help that my girly-girl sister has a huge collection of them. What also doesn't help is that my sister's room is right next to mine... and the kitchen... where the knives are... Remind me to get a couple locks for my door
Yes, a vast collection of dolls displayed on a shelf can even send a shiver through me ( and I'm a girly girl who loves dolls! ). This may be one of the reasons I find the Armada so creepy, they remind me of dolls.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Not at all a girly girl, but I collect dolls. Not the baby-doll play with kind, but dolls in native costumes of other countries.

Haven't yet hit my phobia, but I'm sure there's one lurking out there to freak me out when I least expect it.

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
anecorbie on Mar 22, 2016 wrote:
Yes, a vast collection of dolls displayed on a shelf can even send a shiver through me ( and I'm a girly girl who loves dolls! ). This may be one of the reasons I find the Armada so creepy, they remind me of dolls.
Yep, especially with those gull-dern masks of theirs !

Bosun
Oct 15, 2012
anecorbie on Mar 20, 2016 wrote:
Do you mean Miranda ( the ghost town )? Or is there some scary thing in Tumbleweed that I missed?
The tumbleweed itself....

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Speed Switch on Mar 23, 2016 wrote:
Ah, I see now. When you had to go there how did you deal with it?

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
CdeWinter on Mar 20, 2016 wrote:
Ah, phobias, if I have one, I haven't found it yet. And trust me, for some reason I've tried to find it.
Creepy Crawlies, nope, I used to work with those awesome little guys. Plenty of people, when learning that I used to work as a biologist assume I was working with cute fuzzy critters, but nope, I was studying aquatic invertebrates, usually the creepies, crawliest, and slimiest of the lot.

Blood and gore? Nope, my first thought of a career was as a veterinarian. As such I got my self a part time job in an animal hospital, (cleaning up some rather disgusting messes) helping with surguries and autopsies.

Heights, small spaces, etc. Well, basic training for the military took care of those. Rappelling from a helicopter skid, crawling through unlit tunnels on the assualt course, climbing over cargo netting with full combat gear on. Easy.

Never had an issue with needles, (I tend to unnerve the doctors/nurses as I watch the needle go into my arm)

Darkness, I love the dark, and night time. The only thing different from night to day is the lack of light.

Snakes, I used to chase my sisters around the backyard with snakes.

Flying? Ha! I'm Airforce.

But, I am interested in how other people are scared by in game creatures, they can't even touch you like a real spider can.
Maybe it is a biologist thing, though as a microbiologist I love critters you can't even see (without a microscope, anyway), but nope, creepy-crawlies do not bother me (I rescue spiders in the house, comforting my panicked children with things like 'Oh, that's just Harry the Spider, or one of his cousins...'). Or snakes, for that matter (I -carefully- rescue snakes that have managed to get themselves in the garage or basement. Once in my car! The joys of living in the country). I love heights (and am always peering over cliffs in Pirate!), love the dark, and so, yes, the only time I get scared in a game is for fun, when I deliberately allow myself to really imagine and be that young pirate romping about and being surprised by the Armada.

However, I really don't like fast moving cars. My kids would play Mario cart with their dad, and I would have to look away. It gives me the sense of about to lose control and perish, though the kids just laughed when their cars fell off the Rainbow Bridge. Unsurprisingly, I hate highway driving in real life, most especially the crowded areas around cities.(So, good thing I live in the country. I'll take snakes over tricky merges any day)

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
Speed Switch on Mar 23, 2016 wrote:
Ha . I see what you did there.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
CdeWinter on Mar 21, 2016 wrote:
Now, I know that this probably won't help at all, but...from someone who has had encounters with bears, there's really not much to worry about. Like with most large animals, bears will leave you alone, if you respect them and leave them alone. Don't bother or annoy them, don't get too close, don't act as competition for their food source and don't threaten them.

The majority of bears won't attack unless they feel threatened, or they are looking for food. Which is why (regarding the food) you store food and dispose of food properly while in Bear country, don't walk around carrying food where a bear might be attracted, and be aware near potential food sources in the early morning and late evening.

Also, don't run from a bear, just keep your distance and back away slowly at a walking pace, turning and running will frequently trigger a carnivore/omnivore's hunting drive or instinct making them more likely to chase.

I've witnessed several instances where bears have been surprised and scared by humans, in fact I've done it myself accidently. The bear and I were gathering berries at the same bush, but on opposite sides, without knowing it. When we stood up at the same time, I froze, and the bear made a bit of higher pitched woofing sound before turning around and running off into the woods.
I am pretty sure that is the bear version of squealing like a little girl.........cub.

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
anecorbie on Mar 17, 2016 wrote:
Fear, we all have felt it, but some feel it more than others. I wonder how someone with this condition can play an MMORPG.
I mean one of those crippling type of fears that leave the sufferer sweaty, and with an elevated heart-rate.
I used to be terrified of spiders when I was much younger, I even refused to touch a page that had a picture of a spider on it. And when my sister expressed a wish to have a tarantula as a pet; I remembered how her gerbil escaped from it's cage and I commented: "If you get a tarantula and it escapes, you won't have a tarantula anymore!"
Well and what about snakes and lizards, these are some of the top fears among people.
I have yet to see or play an MMO that didn't have giant snakes or spiders ( even Disney's Pixie Hollow, and let me tell you for a girly game about fairies, it had the scariest spiders I have yet seen. )
So what I want to know is - do you have a phobia and does it affect how you play P101 or W101 ( or any other MMO? )
Honestly for me, although my name is Fearless, I have a major fear of dying. I'm in high school so this maybe shouldn't be my biggest concern, but the idea of dying to me is the creepiest thing ever. I could be completely gone from existence because some psycho was given the means. Even natural causes has me scared. One minute I'm sitting there or sleeping and the next minute, I'm gone. Everything that made me who I am is no longer there and an empty shell is left of who I was. Unfortunately, this fear stems into other things. I can't fall asleep sometimes because I think something is lying in wait somewhere in the dark to kill me. Pointless paranoia and irrational? Well, that IS what a phobia is by definition.

This also extends to a fear of heights. Ski lifts are the worst for me. I'm that high above the ground with only some metal bar I can slip under to protect me? I have a death grip on that bar. Also hiking near cliffs or steep slopes is petrifying. I'm practically leaning against the edge of the mountain to make sure I don't fall. I especially hate the idea of going near a cliff on a motorized vehicle where I have less control than if I were on foot.

I've had my fair share of nightmares about falling to my death. Not fun.

Heights in video games don't scare me because the "invisible wall" can protect me. Even if the game doesn't have the invisible wall, the jump off usually won't kill and it makes backtracking more convenient.

(Maybe not so)Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65

Ensign
Mar 31, 2010
FireMorgan13 on Mar 25, 2016 wrote:
Honestly for me, although my name is Fearless, I have a major fear of dying. I'm in high school so this maybe shouldn't be my biggest concern, but the idea of dying to me is the creepiest thing ever. I could be completely gone from existence because some psycho was given the means. Even natural causes has me scared. One minute I'm sitting there or sleeping and the next minute, I'm gone. Everything that made me who I am is no longer there and an empty shell is left of who I was. Unfortunately, this fear stems into other things. I can't fall asleep sometimes because I think something is lying in wait somewhere in the dark to kill me. Pointless paranoia and irrational? Well, that IS what a phobia is by definition.

This also extends to a fear of heights. Ski lifts are the worst for me. I'm that high above the ground with only some metal bar I can slip under to protect me? I have a death grip on that bar. Also hiking near cliffs or steep slopes is petrifying. I'm practically leaning against the edge of the mountain to make sure I don't fall. I especially hate the idea of going near a cliff on a motorized vehicle where I have less control than if I were on foot.

I've had my fair share of nightmares about falling to my death. Not fun.

Heights in video games don't scare me because the "invisible wall" can protect me. Even if the game doesn't have the invisible wall, the jump off usually won't kill and it makes backtracking more convenient.

(Maybe not so)Fearless Dolan Grant lvl65
Weird... High school is usually the years where teens feel like they're invincible! That's why you see all these reports of teens doing crazy things, endangering their life or even killing them. Hopefully I won't be doing any of that in a year .

I'm also with you on heights... who isn't? The fear of falling from high up while not being able to see the floor? Heck no! Strangely, I want to try skydiving when I get older :3. Also, I feel that way about the "invisible wall" when playing most games... I almost had a panic attack when playing Roblox XD!

Petty Officer
Nov 30, 2012
Pirate101 fan on Mar 17, 2016 wrote:
My phobia is being in the dark. It's not the things in the dark as much as it is not knowing my surroundings or basically not being able to see if something was there. Also my floor is always layered over with legos because of my little brother and I would die of the pain of stepping on them if I couldn't see them.
I feel the same way, except I have this major issue that I always feel like I'm being watched when in the dark, it's terrifying. It makes me want to run out of the room, don't look back and pray lol.

Captain
Dec 06, 2012
The ultimate chimera from earthbound ( The one with Lucas in it ) And dopplerganger ghosts

Ensign
Jun 23, 2012
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Butterblitz on Mar 31, 2016 wrote:
wasps!!!
Oh, yes, horrible things!

First Mate
Dec 24, 2009
darkmoordude on Mar 31, 2016 wrote:
The ultimate chimera from earthbound ( The one with Lucas in it ) And dopplerganger ghosts
YES!! THAT THING IS SCARY!! Btw, it's from Mother 3. I'm so sad a version of the game wasn't released outside of Japan.