Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

parodies and references

AuthorMessage
Captain
May 13, 2011
564
as you know, there are tons of parodies in P101. can we list them all?

bonnie anne = anne bonny
ratbeard/catbeard = blackbeard
admiral nelson = same
monquistadors = conquistadors
gortez = cortez
kind ferdinando? = kind ferdinand
queen isadore = queen isabella
armada = the british government
mary reed? (player name) = mary read?
bloody mary (player name) = same
the monkeys paw = same
trial of the monkeys paw = indiana jones and the holy grail trial scene
napoleguin = napoleon
eagilles = achilles
homer = same
hawkules = hercules

thats what i could come up with for now. what can you think of?

Lieutenant
Dec 31, 2012
111
One-Eyed Jack's tavern, The Black Spot, is a reference to Treasure Island. The Black Spot is a literary device used to mark a person who faces impending doom or misfortune.

The best known use of The Black Spot lately is probably the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

The person who has The Black Spot is doomed to be hunted by The Kraken until it finally catches up with him.

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
419
Sneaky George Quar... on Sep 12, 2013 wrote:
as you know, there are tons of parodies in P101. can we list them all?

bonnie anne = anne bonny
ratbeard/catbeard = blackbeard
admiral nelson = same
monquistadors = conquistadors
gortez = cortez
kind ferdinando? = kind ferdinand
queen isadore = queen isabella
armada = the british government
mary reed? (player name) = mary read?
bloody mary (player name) = same
the monkeys paw = same
trial of the monkeys paw = indiana jones and the holy grail trial scene
napoleguin = napoleon
eagilles = achilles
homer = same
hawkules = hercules

thats what i could come up with for now. what can you think of?
The source of all evil, the Armada, is the British Government..?

lol, I think ye might want to reword that,

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
505
Sneaky George Quar... on Sep 12, 2013 wrote:
as you know, there are tons of parodies in P101. can we list them all?

bonnie anne = anne bonny
ratbeard/catbeard = blackbeard
admiral nelson = same
monquistadors = conquistadors
gortez = cortez
kind ferdinando? = kind ferdinand
queen isadore = queen isabella
armada = the british government
mary reed? (player name) = mary read?
bloody mary (player name) = same
the monkeys paw = same
trial of the monkeys paw = indiana jones and the holy grail trial scene
napoleguin = napoleon
eagilles = achilles
homer = same
hawkules = hercules

thats what i could come up with for now. what can you think of?
You got the British Government wrong. It's Parliament! If the King and Queen of England seen this; they would be laughing.
Also for Homer = Same he does not! Here's a better way to put it.
Homer = Homer Simpson

First Mate
Dec 12, 2011
419
can think of a couple that you haven't mentioned...

El Toro= Zorro

The battle of Troy= Same

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6204
Sniper Rose on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
You got the British Government wrong. It's Parliament! If the King and Queen of England seen this; they would be laughing.
Also for Homer = Same he does not! Here's a better way to put it.
Homer = Homer Simpson
x Rolls eyes x Homer Simpson? Um..nah. That is Not the Homer they are referring to. They mean Homer the Greek poet and author of The Iliad and the Odyssey. Where half the launching points for our Aquilian adventures begin.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
950
Sniper Rose on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
You got the British Government wrong. It's Parliament! If the King and Queen of England seen this; they would be laughing.
Also for Homer = Same he does not! Here's a better way to put it.
Homer = Homer Simpson
England currenty has no King. It is a consitutional monarchy where the Head of State is Queen Elizabeth II. (Same as here in Canada). The Queen's husband is Prince Philip. In the British Commonwealth, when the Head of State is a woman, her husband only becomes a prince, not the King. That way the husband who is not a "Blood Royal" does not gain a position with more ceremonial power than the current Queen.

If however the Queen is succeeded by a male heir (in this case it would be Prince Charles) then that male would become the new King (King Charles ? I have forgotten how many King Charles there have already been). Then the wife of that new King would become the new Queen.

Also it is correct to refer to British Parliament as the British Government. It means the same thing.

However, I'd say that the Clockwork Armada is equivelent to the Spanish Armada, since Marleybone represents England with the Royal Marleybonean Navy being the Royal Navy. (there's only one Royal Navy, all other navies have a different name)

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
283
There is Gilbert and Sullivan, the writers of the H.M.S. Pinafore pirates and of penzance, in Port Regal.

The Holy Monquisition is the Spanish Inquisition (they even did a Monty Python reference).

Valencia, being Renaissance Italy, is interesting because the name is a Spanish city.Then again, Monquista and Valencia both take from Spain and Italy, just vary in percentages.

The Elites also portray different stations of authority in Renascence Italy.

Captain Gunn was a homage to Treasure Island's Ben Gunn.

There is a side quest chain in Skull Island that deals with a undead pirate called Bobby Bones. Get it? It's Billy Bones from Treasure Island. Only without an over-the-top liking towards Yum.

That is all for now,

Impish Omar Underwood

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
505
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Sep 13, 2013 wrote:
x Rolls eyes x Homer Simpson? Um..nah. That is Not the Homer they are referring to. They mean Homer the Greek poet and author of The Iliad and the Odyssey. Where half the launching points for our Aquilian adventures begin.
I know, I know. You don't get it; do you?

Gunner's Mate
May 28, 2013
294
In the ghost quests of Ratbeard early on, we retrieve a locket for Nancy McGill, a reference from the Beatles song Rocky Raccoon. "Her name was McGill, and she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy."

Captain
Mar 09, 2011
709
Sam Underhill on Sep 15, 2013 wrote:
In the ghost quests of Ratbeard early on, we retrieve a locket for Nancy McGill, a reference from the Beatles song Rocky Raccoon. "Her name was McGill, and she called herself Lil, but everyone knew her as Nancy."
Sam, I made a thread called Quest Re-names, and that is the one quest that I pointed out as an example. XD I think you might want to check it out -- I look forward to what you have to say! You're such a funny guy and I imagine you can make us all howl with laughter.

Captain
May 16, 2011
552
I've discovered a few references...............

Lucius Fox = Lucius Fox from the Batman movies

This isn't a character reference, but a quest reference: In the quest 'The Resistance Lives On!' Several characters mention 'knocking four times'. Some of the the phrases they used were in an episode of Doctor Who; The End Of Time, to be be precise.

In Ratbeard's third promotion quest; 'Humbug!' theyused the old Scrooge story.

That's all of the ones I have for now.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
950
Thunder Hawk on Sep 16, 2013 wrote:
I've discovered a few references...............

Lucius Fox = Lucius Fox from the Batman movies

This isn't a character reference, but a quest reference: In the quest 'The Resistance Lives On!' Several characters mention 'knocking four times'. Some of the the phrases they used were in an episode of Doctor Who; The End Of Time, to be be precise.

In Ratbeard's third promotion quest; 'Humbug!' theyused the old Scrooge story.

That's all of the ones I have for now.
Hank, the "old Scrooge story" is A Christmas Carol one of Charles Dickens' many Christmas time ghost stories.

Captain
May 16, 2011
552
CdeWinter on Sep 17, 2013 wrote:
Hank, the "old Scrooge story" is A Christmas Carol one of Charles Dickens' many Christmas time ghost stories.
Ah, right. I've been wondering why it sounded so familiar, and you have confirmed that for me. Thanks.

Lieutenant
May 06, 2012
131
Commodore
Feb 29, 2012
892
Thunder Hawk on Sep 16, 2013 wrote:
I've discovered a few references...............

Lucius Fox = Lucius Fox from the Batman movies

This isn't a character reference, but a quest reference: In the quest 'The Resistance Lives On!' Several characters mention 'knocking four times'. Some of the the phrases they used were in an episode of Doctor Who; The End Of Time, to be be precise.

In Ratbeard's third promotion quest; 'Humbug!' theyused the old Scrooge story.

That's all of the ones I have for now.
My in real life best friend and her brothers would know everything about that. XD Oh yea, a brief story if I may tell, according to myself, my friend, and her brother who is also my friend, I am now Jack Sparrow, her brother is Batman (don't deny it... He's a boss) and my friend is a cyborg. Yup. Works for me. Inside joke. XD

And I know how you found that one. XD

Ciao!

Ensign
Sep 04, 2013
4
The head troggy Chief is call Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah and that is from an episode of a cartoon called the jetsons!

From the Mintiest pirate ever!

Ciao!

Gunner's Mate
Oct 11, 2012
283