Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Our Mother's Name?

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
A crazy thought has occurred to me, in remembering what Apollo told our pirates: "remember the name Desdemona, your fate hinges on her love."
Who loves you like your mother? Could Desdemona be our mother's name?

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
anecorbie on Jan 7, 2015 wrote:
A crazy thought has occurred to me, in remembering what Apollo told our pirates: "remember the name Desdemona, your fate hinges on her love."
Brilliant idea!Very well could be!

But as always,just because you have a name,without a face,and a face,without a name,doesn't mean the two go together.

Either way,you have Blind Mew either clapping,smirking or giggling.

But I think the second part of the sentence is strange:''Your fate hinges upon her love.''

What does it mean?As you pointed out,who'd love us like our mother,so why would our entire fate hinge upon her act to love us or to not love us?Would we ever give her a reason not to love us?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Hoodoo Master on Jan 7, 2015 wrote:

But as always,just because you have a name,without a face,and a face,without a name,doesn't mean the two go together.

But I think the second part of the sentence is strange:''Your fate hinges upon her love.''

What does it mean?As you pointed out,who'd love us like our mother,so why would our entire fate hinge upon her act to love us or to not love us?Would we ever give her a reason not to love us?
I hate to make comparisons, but in J.K Rowlings Harry Potter series, the entire course of his adventures are heavily influenced by the one act of selfless love his mother showed. This is what I had in mind by our fate hinging on her love. I don't think we have to earn that love.
True about " a name without a face & a face without a name" not necessarily going together.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
The Hoodoo Master on Jan 7, 2015 wrote:

I think your pointing to the second part of the sentence thingy (to use your brilliance) may be on to something here Felix! And a wonderfully great notion and idea Esperanza-- I like your way of thinking.

Unfortunately all of this leads to "my way of thinking". Oh noooo......

"Your fate hinges upon her love." Hmm, to me the focus isn't on the words fate, her or even love. No the word that really draws my curiosities out is hinges, naturally since I dabble in the carpentaric arts.

As my brain clings to attempting to avoiding hurting itself, I can't help but try to unravel a mystery here. We all know that we are in search of "something", perhaps quite a few "somethings" may even find us along the way. Now what has hinges....our jaws-- no, well yes, kind of. You guessed it, a Door and what is needed to open a door..."open sesame", a shoulder, a college education-- no, well sometimes and YES! A key of course...so, the key to what our fate hinges on, is a door, or perhaps something a-door-able, or something else composed of the word or sounding like door.

Now what makes perfect sense here, being that we are pirates, exploring the Spiral and our own inner selves as we navigate our way towards discovery and realizing our destinies, as well as embracing our fates? Good question, so here we go. So, the key to our fates lies in a door sounding or relating word that references a "her" that will help us explore, navigate and charter a course to discovery. And if you must ask, the "your fate hinges upon her love" part, more specifically the "her love" part, refers to this her, and her love of exploration. It's her love of exploring that will guide and lead us to our destiny and glorious fate!

So the answer to this riddle was given before the question was even pondered!

We must find the her....................Dora the Explorer!

Why it all makes brilliant sense!

Ok, sorry for all the goof-- again great and very thought provoking idea, Esperanza. Back to the "real" discussion at hand.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
I hate to make comparisons, but in J.K Rowlings Harry Potter series, the entire course of his adventures are heavily influenced by the one act of selfless love his mother showed. This is what I had in mind by our fate hinging on her love. I don't think we have to earn that love.
True about " a name without a face & a face without a name" not necessarily going together.
I do actually like your Harry Potter comparison; it could mean something. Perhaps something like that will come into play?

And what about the picture of Marco Pollo and his crew in El Dorado? Maybe there is a secret in it we have yet to discover.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Jan 7, 2015 wrote:
I think your pointing to the second part of the sentence thingy (to use your brilliance) may be on to something here Felix! And a wonderfully great notion and idea Esperanza-- I like your way of thinking.

"Your fate hinges upon her love." Hmm, to me the focus isn't on the words fate, her or even love. No the word that really draws my curiosities out is hinges, naturally since I dabble in the carpentaric arts.

As my brain clings to attempting to avoiding hurting itself, I can't help but try to unravel a mystery here. We all know that we are in search of "something", perhaps quite a few "somethings" may even find us along the way. Now what has hinges....our jaws-- no, well yes, kind of. You guessed it, a Door and what is needed to open a door..."open sesame", a shoulder, a college education-- no, well sometimes and YES! A key of course...so, the key to what our fate hinges on, is a door, or perhaps something a-door-able, or something else composed of the word or sounding like door.

Now what makes perfect sense here, being that we are pirates, exploring the Spiral and our own inner selves as we navigate our way towards discovery and realizing our destinies, as well as embracing our fates? Good question, so here we go. So, the key to our fates lies in a door sounding or relating word that references a "her" that will help us explore, navigate and charter a course to discovery. And if you must ask, the "your fate hinges upon her love" part, more specifically the "her love" part, refers to this her, and her love of exploration. It's her love of exploring that will guide and lead us to our destiny and glorious fate!

Ok, sorry for all the goof-- again great and very thought provoking idea, Esperanza. Back to the "real" discussion at hand.
Thank you for the much-needed giggle, Valkoor! I laughed so loud I scared my cat!

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
Once again, you have all enlightened me. Thanks for posting this!
- Jack

Captain
Dec 01, 2012

Lol,you don't dabble in the carpentaric arts!You're a master of them!

But no,seriously,this is some amazing insight...

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
MistyDragon13 on Jan 7, 2015 wrote:
I do actually like your Harry Potter comparison; it could mean something. Perhaps something like that will come into play?

And what about the picture of Marco Pollo and his crew in El Dorado? Maybe there is a secret in it we have yet to discover.
There is.We still have yet to discover who took it.That's a secret we still have yet to discover(and one the old cat is tight-lipped about)

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
I love the comparison!I mean,it was Lily's act of sacrifing herself to save Harry that was miraculous,wasn't it?It destroyed You-Know-Who for a time and even broke the whole Horcrux operation(though,in a bad way,causing her son to get a piece of ''Good'' old Riddle in himself).

But as always,''your fate hinges upon her love'' is not the same thing as ''your fate has hinged upon her love'' or some other past tense.This implies our fate is hinging on her love in this very second and not at some point in the past.

But as always,maybe Golden Apollo Bright Son was just being ambiguous.Really,this post is somewhat redundant.But,those are just my two...er...three...er...seven sents.(get it?cent,being sent=sentence)

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
The Hoodoo Master on Jan 8, 2015 wrote:
I love the comparison!I mean,it was Lily's act of sacrifing herself to save Harry that was miraculous,wasn't it?It destroyed You-Know-Who for a time and even broke the whole Horcrux operation(though,in a bad way,causing her son to get a piece of ''Good'' old Riddle in himself).

But as always,''your fate hinges upon her love'' is not the same thing as ''your fate has hinged upon her love'' or some other past tense.This implies our fate is hinging on her love in this very second and not at some point in the past.

But as always,maybe Golden Apollo Bright Son was just being ambiguous.Really,this post is somewhat redundant.But,those are just my two...er...three...er...seven sents.(get it?cent,being sent=sentence)
Do you think if someone who loves you dies, their love dies also? Isn't their love an ever present thing? ( sorry to be bring philosophy/metaphysics into the conversation ) But that is exactly the point of my opening post. Our mother's love is in the present with us.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Jan 8, 2015 wrote:
Thank you for the much-needed giggle, Valkoor! I laughed so loud I scared my cat!
Why you're most certainly welcome Esperanza! Laughing is F-U-N!!! Poor scaredy cat, hope it has recovered from the moment. I may not always know what I'm talking about, but I can almost always link the thought provoking and profound to the absurd. In the words of one of today's most prominent rhythmic poets, I leave you with something taylor-made for proving my point.....

"And the players gonna play-play-play-play-play, and the gamers gonna game-game-game-game-game...
and the thinkers gonna think-think-think-think-think, and the goofers gonna goof-goof-goof-goof-goof..."
"A goofin' off, ah, ah, a goofin' off..."

...or something like that.....oh no, it's just too darn catchy-- can't..re....sist.......not..strong...e....nough, getting weak. Be a man Valkoor....too late. Great, now it's stuck in my head...somebody HELP-- and Swiftly!!!

Ok, I'm done. Sorry for the diversion.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
This be great insight fair lass, ye might give Blind Mew a run fer his doubloons ha, ha, har.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
Well, as long as we are speculating... ... As important as our parents' love is to us, and I suspect it will indeed come into play somehow, my gut feeling is that we will meet Desdemona, a living, breathing individual, in Valencia.

Why? I think probably because my brain is infected by literature. When I first came onto the boards, almost two years ago, and there was a discussion about the name of Kane's female Elite, I playfully suggested I would be very scared if her name was 'Milady'. This is simply because the image of the lovely,elegantly gowned female Elite put me in mind of the beautiful but deadly Countess deWinter (aka Milady) in The Three Musketeers. After all, I was joyfully romping around as a swashbuckler who I really saw as something of a female d'Artagnan (more even-tempered, but just as reckless), so it is probably not surprising I saw the female Elite in such a way.

Now, to Desdemona. While her name suggests the virtuous and loving young lady who meets an awful and unjust demise in Shakespeare's tragedy, Othello, the character herself has more going for her than that. Here is a young woman who has to make a choice between her respected father's choice of husband for her and the man she loves, a man who is a general in the Venetian army. She defends her choice before the 'king' of Venice. And I can't help but make parallels to Valencia, with a hope that Desdemona can be redrawn in a society where she has more power than the pawn she is expected to be in Venice. Perhaps in Valencia, our Desdemona is not a senator's daughter, but a senator herself. Perhaps there is an Iago-like character who is pouring poisonous words into her ear about her sweetheart, and the fate of all depends on her remaining strong to her true Love. Perhaps her true Love is the key to tipping the balance between those that favor the Armada and those that do not...

Oh, the possibilities!

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
While it seems odd the name Desdemona means misery or unlucky. (It's a Greek name)
And this could very will hint it being our mother's name because she did die after all!

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
Desdemona is the name of a character from Shakespeare's Othello. Her father, Brabantio (or Brabanzio), is a senator in Veneto, one of the twenty regions of Italy. Valencia is P101's rendition of Italy. Perhaps Desdemona is the daughter of Valencia's King Casimir rather than our mother. If this is true, then who is Othello (and will Iago somehow play a part in this story)?

I'm sorry Esperanza (may I call you Esperanza?) for bashing your theory. What can I say? I'm a pirate, and a buccaneer at that ! But in all seriousness, I do apologize. Though I may be a pirate, I am also a gentleman.

With sincerest apologies,
- Jack

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ruthless Jack Jack... on Jan 10, 2015 wrote:
Desdemona is the name of a character from Shakespeare's Othello. Her father, Brabantio (or Brabanzio), is a senator in Veneto, one of the twenty regions of Italy. Valencia is P101's rendition of Italy. Perhaps Desdemona is the daughter of Valencia's King Casimir rather than our mother. If this is true, then who is Othello (and will Iago somehow play a part in this story)?

I'm sorry Esperanza (may I call you Esperanza?) for bashing your theory. What can I say? I'm a pirate, and a buccaneer at that ! But in all seriousness, I do apologize. Though I may be a pirate, I am also a gentleman.

- Jack
That you for your post, Jack. Yes, I'm aware of the allusion to Shakespeare's Othello. We don't know what KI has in store for us; it is entirely possible for Desdemona to be Valencian, perhaps even a Resistance Leader, hmmm?
I like to hear different view points.
And you may call me Esperanza

Captain
May 16, 2011
Anne Radcliffe on Jan 9, 2015 wrote:
Well, as long as we are speculating... ... As important as our parents' love is to us, and I suspect it will indeed come into play somehow, my gut feeling is that we will meet Desdemona, a living, breathing individual, in Valencia.

Why? I think probably because my brain is infected by literature. When I first came onto the boards, almost two years ago, and there was a discussion about the name of Kane's female Elite, I playfully suggested I would be very scared if her name was 'Milady'. This is simply because the image of the lovely,elegantly gowned female Elite put me in mind of the beautiful but deadly Countess deWinter (aka Milady) in The Three Musketeers. After all, I was joyfully romping around as a swashbuckler who I really saw as something of a female d'Artagnan (more even-tempered, but just as reckless), so it is probably not surprising I saw the female Elite in such a way.

Now, to Desdemona. While her name suggests the virtuous and loving young lady who meets an awful and unjust demise in Shakespeare's tragedy, Othello, the character herself has more going for her than that. Here is a young woman who has to make a choice between her respected father's choice of husband for her and the man she loves, a man who is a general in the Venetian army. She defends her choice before the 'king' of Venice. And I can't help but make parallels to Valencia, with a hope that Desdemona can be redrawn in a society where she has more power than the pawn she is expected to be in Venice. Perhaps in Valencia, our Desdemona is not a senator's daughter, but a senator herself. Perhaps there is an Iago-like character who is pouring poisonous words into her ear about her sweetheart, and the fate of all depends on her remaining strong to her true Love. Perhaps her true Love is the key to tipping the balance between those that favor the Armada and those that do not...

Oh, the possibilities!
Has it really been nearly two years? Wow. And I agree, your brain does seem to be highly infected with literature, as I've seen- er, read, many times.

Besides my awedness(Is that a word? It is to me.), brilliant deductions.

~ Thunder

Captain
May 16, 2011

Esperanza, what have you done?

Hilarious.

I laughed out loud. Not surprising, really, but still.

Hilarious.

~ Thunder

Ensign
May 23, 2014
Ruthless Jack Jack... on Jan 10, 2015 wrote:

- Jack
I think your theory is really good and entirely possible. What if we're Othello, and, minus the romance (KI wouldn't do it), we have to convince her to choose us over her society and help us against the society that thinks the Armada is fine and dandy.

Lieutenant
Jun 09, 2013
Kan The Destroyer on Jan 11, 2015 wrote:
I think your theory is really good and entirely possible. What if we're Othello, and, minus the romance (KI wouldn't do it), we have to convince her to choose us over her society and help us against the society that thinks the Armada is fine and dandy.
Iago is strictly a Crown Shop companion now. Does this mean he'll show up again in Valencia?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ruthless Jack Jack... on Jan 29, 2015 wrote:
Iago is strictly a Crown Shop companion now. Does this mean he'll show up again in Valencia?
KI may not follow Shakespeare's play. They needed a Valencian sounding name for a villain and Iago is well known from the play for being a villain. I find the Iago in the game a very pleasant fellow, not at all like his name sake.