Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

Ok, here's some more news... hope you can take it.

2
AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
162
Trimond297 on May 10, 2016 wrote:
I should say that Khrysalis was also split into two parts, because at the time, KingsIsle wanted the conclusion to the Morganthe arc so epic, they had to divide it into two parts to ensure the world's story moments would be made with precise construction. Doing that upped the level cap in W101 by 5 levels, twice. As with that previous case, many were surprised they upped the cap by 5 levels rather than 10, yet, they soon understood why they had to do it.

Give it a chance, & you'll know KingsIsle's doing their best to take it easy on the story updates, 'cause launching 2 Books in one update was a milestone, one that wasn't done on W101 or P101 before. They want to ensure later Books are complete without rush.

Swordroll posted this in Swordroll's Blog that speaks about that as a trial run to how KingsIsle is handling P101's story updates, & to quote in Swordroll's perspective, "My personal opinion is that this is a trial run. If Valencia Part 2 performs well, perhaps the story will continue.", meaning it is to show KI how to handle tackling story expansions, before they may do more than 1 Book in later updates again, with better handling next time. It's like a test to them, one that they know we'll pass well.

So, let's wait & see once it goes to Test, & remember also that Swordroll said, from Swordroll's perspective, "If Valencia Part 2 comes out positively, it may signal a new direction for Pirate101, and that's a win for both the game and the players.", so I've no doubts it will do positively.

1 last thing, Swordroll said this, "It's important to understand that this is only a theory, and does not reflect what has happened at KingsIsle.", so don't worry. KingsIsle knows what they're doing.
1. Khrysalis' release was not directly after 3 years of nothing substantial, for wizard did get relatively frequent updates. We were also assured that part 2 would be arriving fairly soon, and were told up front that there was more on its way within the immediate future. The player base was not nearly as shocked and upset as they were just thrown off guard by the change, and they were given a whole new mechanic (shadow magic) to tie them over. KH is not a close comparison to our situation at all.

2. Rush? 3 years, and you don't want KI to RUSH? Three years. Does no one realize that we were left in the dark for 3 YEARS? That's approximately 200 days per level we get added to our cap. I'm fine with lengthy development cycles if a product is promised, but the fate of the game was up in the air. Many thought KI just left it out to dry and soak up some cash before it crashed. If KI wanted to explain that delays caused extra development time, but that our waiting would be compensated with extra content, the that would be fine, but only one book, after three years, (when two came out only six months from the game's launch) is almost pathetic.

3. Again, if KI wants to do small burst updates every once and a while then fine, I'm game, BUT TELL US THAT'S YOUR PLAN. KI is aweful in communicating its functions with their customers, which doesn't help anyone. If they wanted to get something that will make players turn back to thee game and show that P101 isn't dead, then give us the huge update we want! I an imagine a returning player reading the update notes and going, "This? THIS after three years? Yeah, I'm not investing any more in this." KI needs to do serious damage control about it's dormant subscribers, which isn't really progressing.

Finally, I really do want this update to be good, and I'll still stand by the game, but KI is failing tremendously at reviving their amazing game, and I just don'tt want to watch pirate die due to a three year slog to a small update/

Ensign
Dec 02, 2014
26
Elemutation on May 11, 2016 wrote:
1. Khrysalis' release was not directly after 3 years of nothing substantial, for wizard did get relatively frequent updates. We were also assured that part 2 would be arriving fairly soon, and were told up front that there was more on its way within the immediate future. The player base was not nearly as shocked and upset as they were just thrown off guard by the change, and they were given a whole new mechanic (shadow magic) to tie them over. KH is not a close comparison to our situation at all.

2. Rush? 3 years, and you don't want KI to RUSH? Three years. Does no one realize that we were left in the dark for 3 YEARS? That's approximately 200 days per level we get added to our cap. I'm fine with lengthy development cycles if a product is promised, but the fate of the game was up in the air. Many thought KI just left it out to dry and soak up some cash before it crashed. If KI wanted to explain that delays caused extra development time, but that our waiting would be compensated with extra content, the that would be fine, but only one book, after three years, (when two came out only six months from the game's launch) is almost pathetic.

3. Again, if KI wants to do small burst updates every once and a while then fine, I'm game, BUT TELL US THAT'S YOUR PLAN. KI is aweful in communicating its functions with their customers, which doesn't help anyone. If they wanted to get something that will make players turn back to thee game and show that P101 isn't dead, then give us the huge update we want! I an imagine a returning player reading the update notes and going, "This? THIS after three years? Yeah, I'm not investing any more in this." KI needs to do serious damage control about it's dormant subscribers, which isn't really progressing.

Finally, I really do want this update to be good, and I'll still stand by the game, but KI is failing tremendously at reviving their amazing game, and I just don'tt want to watch pirate die due to a three year slog to a small update/
My thoughts exactly. I'm surprised no one else is feeling this way. It's good that people want to be "patient", but not when a game's been dry of story line updates for 3 years. I just hope we get more than what's expected with this new update.

Lieutenant
Jun 08, 2009
162
WizardryMastery on May 12, 2016 wrote:
My thoughts exactly. I'm surprised no one else is feeling this way. It's good that people want to be "patient", but not when a game's been dry of story line updates for 3 years. I just hope we get more than what's expected with this new update.
The problem is that those who feel this way don't want to come back, even to voice their discontent. Voicing your apathy is almost paradoxical, which is why it's so rare.

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
1124
anecorbie on May 5, 2016 wrote:
Of those three years of "side stuff" one of those years was entirely dedicated to improving game play through our companions & pets; Ranked PVP was also a nice edition ( for those who like it. )
We don't know what other "side stuff" will be included with book 15 ( hoping for crafting and of course many players also want fishing and gardening.)
What is exactly in those two chapters? What will we have to do to gain those levels? Don't forget Nautical XP is included in our game ( unlike wizard. )
Before you dismiss this expansion, I would encourage you to wait and see just what it is we're going to experience.
Don't forget all the tower fun!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Petty Officer
Jan 13, 2009
92
Elemutation on May 12, 2016 wrote:
The problem is that those who feel this way don't want to come back, even to voice their discontent. Voicing your apathy is almost paradoxical, which is why it's so rare.
I am coming back to voice my discontent. After taking my five char classes to lvl 65 and finding nothing else I like doing, I quit playing. It's been well over a year now and I hear of an update coming, which the sparse details of, make me say "is that it"? After reading a lot of posts of outright fawning adoration, it seems Elemutation is right, there's hardly any valid criticism from anyone. How many other games could survive this long without any major updates? I am waiting on the test server to open with the new update and hope it's worth it to start playing again.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9755
Grintch on May 16, 2016 wrote:
I am coming back to voice my discontent. After taking my five char classes to lvl 65 and finding nothing else I like doing, I quit playing. It's been well over a year now and I hear of an update coming, which the sparse details of, make me say "is that it"? After reading a lot of posts of outright fawning adoration, it seems Elemutation is right, there's hardly any valid criticism from anyone. How many other games could survive this long without any major updates? I am waiting on the test server to open with the new update and hope it's worth it to start playing again.
I don't see examples of "fawning adoration", I DO see examples of happiness that we are getting a story update.
It seems I have to keep reminding the disgruntled players, that while we didn't get a storyline update when it was expected, we did get updates that enhanced game play, our pets and companions, we got 2 new gauntlets, KI has expended time and resources on this game, they didn't abandon it.

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
2037
anecorbie on May 17, 2016 wrote:
I don't see examples of "fawning adoration", I DO see examples of happiness that we are getting a story update.
It seems I have to keep reminding the disgruntled players, that while we didn't get a storyline update when it was expected, we did get updates that enhanced game play, our pets and companions, we got 2 new gauntlets, KI has expended time and resources on this game, they didn't abandon it.
You're not the only one who has to keep reminding disgruntled players...

With KingsIsle focusing on their MMOs more than before, we'll be seeing more & more adventures & updates soon in a more frequent pace.

Lieutenant
May 26, 2013
144
anecorbie on May 17, 2016 wrote:
I don't see examples of "fawning adoration", I DO see examples of happiness that we are getting a story update.
It seems I have to keep reminding the disgruntled players, that while we didn't get a storyline update when it was expected, we did get updates that enhanced game play, our pets and companions, we got 2 new gauntlets, KI has expended time and resources on this game, they didn't abandon it.
I see many people putting forth the same argument, and I used to agree with it. However, it has been three years, and although Book Fifteen is coming out very soon, I now think that the past updates have been far too widespread and did not have enough things that players desired. It is not really your job to remind players of your opinion–They may feel what they like. As for Book Fifteen, I am glad that it is being released but feel that they are wrapping up the arc way too quickly and that they could have spent their time working on pet enhancing updates improving and expanding the updates that majorly impact the game, as these are the ones people actually care about.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9755
dk4vision on May 18, 2016 wrote:
I see many people putting forth the same argument, and I used to agree with it. However, it has been three years, and although Book Fifteen is coming out very soon, I now think that the past updates have been far too widespread and did not have enough things that players desired. It is not really your job to remind players of your opinion–They may feel what they like. As for Book Fifteen, I am glad that it is being released but feel that they are wrapping up the arc way too quickly and that they could have spent their time working on pet enhancing updates improving and expanding the updates that majorly impact the game, as these are the ones people actually care about.
You have a point.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 26, 2013
214
dk4vision on May 18, 2016 wrote:
I see many people putting forth the same argument, and I used to agree with it. However, it has been three years, and although Book Fifteen is coming out very soon, I now think that the past updates have been far too widespread and did not have enough things that players desired. It is not really your job to remind players of your opinion–They may feel what they like. As for Book Fifteen, I am glad that it is being released but feel that they are wrapping up the arc way too quickly and that they could have spent their time working on pet enhancing updates improving and expanding the updates that majorly impact the game, as these are the ones people actually care about.
I think it's a bit too early to assume that anything is being "wrapping up". Everything being discussed about the pending update is pure speculation on our parts. I'm withholding my complaints and/or accolades until I actually see what they've done.
It's obvious that with the recent developments (downsizing) at KI that they've been negatively impacted from a financial standpoint. My guess is that part of the issue might be some of the people who threatened to quit Wiz101 because of the epic fail that was their critical/block "adjustments" have actually followed through with that threat. And then there's the problems they've had with some of their mobile apps. Whatever the reasons we can only hope that they're now able to take more time to work on P101. This game has so much potential it pains me to think it might ever go away but one never knows.

Ensign
Jul 26, 2013
28
I agree that there will be a lot in this update. If everyone thinks of it like Marley-Aquila leveling it isn't that bad. Think about it 5 levels got you through all of Aquila! So even if it might seem small we have a lot to be great full for. If they have been working on this for so long I think they might have been also working on whats next in book 16. Book 16 might actually come out faster since it has taken so long for 15 to come up. And just think of a level 70 level cap! They might even give us some extra skills crammed into our new update for us.I hope Privy's get better skills, we are not weak but its really funny when people do your job for you in royal and kill each other 'cause they think we cant hurt them. Buc, Swash,Musket,Witch don't need as much and specifically Buccaneers. For the life of me I cant beat one, P101 made them too powerful and it gets annoying in pvp because I'm automatically screwed. Back on topic! Just think of where we will go! There has been speculation that we will go to Krokatopia or Grizzelheim, both are likely. I am looking forward to see if they allow you to have level two skills you can train from the secret trainers, many would appreciate relentless 2!

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
2037
TucsonWizard on May 19, 2016 wrote:
I think it's a bit too early to assume that anything is being "wrapping up". Everything being discussed about the pending update is pure speculation on our parts. I'm withholding my complaints and/or accolades until I actually see what they've done.
It's obvious that with the recent developments (downsizing) at KI that they've been negatively impacted from a financial standpoint. My guess is that part of the issue might be some of the people who threatened to quit Wiz101 because of the epic fail that was their critical/block "adjustments" have actually followed through with that threat. And then there's the problems they've had with some of their mobile apps. Whatever the reasons we can only hope that they're now able to take more time to work on P101. This game has so much potential it pains me to think it might ever go away but one never knows.
Well, I'm glad someone agrees the fact that all these discussions about the upcoming update are all speculation stuff. I also agree it's a bit too early to assume anything's being "wrapping up", because it is too early to do it.

Nice summations, even though I state that the downsizing is because KI's been a bit too centered on their mobile games because they previously thought that's what got a lot o' people excited, where in reality, mobile games are just not worth anyone's time and money, causing all forms of neglect to the very things lots o' people like since the beginning, real games, made with story-centered adventures, & with proper development & care, case in point, KI's MMOs.

Believe me, it pains me to think that, too, but I know it won't ever go away, because it harbors such potential, and it's been up three years running, & already it's starting to pick up where it's been standing in almost three years since it's 1st story update, & with so many side updates lately, too.

Well, with KI's downsizing to re-center their work to updating their MMOs more frequently, & their MMO Live Team on their right job to boot, I'm sure we'll have many more content updates in P101 than before, even in W101, too.

You know, mobile games are not in such heavy interest to me, anyway. They're just not worth the time & money in making them, let alone playing them, & I know, they're more bigger time & money wasters in playing them than creating them, all the same. We're better off doing what we truly love the best, & it's all worth the time & money we use on what we still love since the beginning.

2