Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

new to pirate 101

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 03, 2013
So I'm new but have played MANY MMO's . wondering the best way to start. is there a guild system? is there any gear that I should save and not vendor? any way to swap gear between characters? thinking buccaneer because I like being the tank. any suggestions?

Community Leader
CaptMongo on Feb 5, 2013 wrote:
So I'm new but have played MANY MMO's . wondering the best way to start. is there a guild system? is there any gear that I should save and not vendor? any way to swap gear between characters? thinking buccaneer because I like being the tank. any suggestions?
Welcome! There is no guild system in the game, just a friends list. If you're planning on creating multiple pirates, I would recommend saving any gear that has a specific class attached to it. It will usually be from boss/mini boss drops and is typically better than regular gear drops. You can use the shared bank which comes standard with your bunkhouse (located in Avery Square on Skull Island and also accessible by pressing the button on the bottom left of your UI that looks like a house) to transfer gear between your pirates.

As far as what class to chose, know that buccaneer starts to feel a bit under-powered as you level up and get further in the game. They have high defense, it's true, but there currently isn't a good way to get the mobs to focus on your Pirate as the bucks don't have any AoE abilities or any abilities specifically designed to produce threat. This makes tanking impractical at best. A better class might be Privateer where you still get to wear heavy armor, but you do the job of both tank and healer by buffing your allies, healing them, and getting to mix it up. If you want to play the easiest class (in my opinion) make a Witchdoctor. Since abilities never miss in this game, a Witchdoctor (who at later levels rarely uses anything BUT abilities) doesn't have the same problem that many classes have when reaching MooShu (the final world so far) where enemy high dodge rate can become an issue. Couple that with lots of AoE spells and it's pretty smooth sailing even if you skip most of the side quests and are underleveled.

Good luck and see you around the spiral!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Feb 03, 2013
hugs thanks so much and that is exactly what I was looking for :) by accident I changed my mind from buc to privateer and by your response glad I did :) loving it just got my bombard ability and wow things got easy.

Lieutenant
Aug 01, 2011
CaptMongo on Feb 5, 2013 wrote:
Welcome to the brand new Pirate101 game it just came out months ago. I would like you to learn about the classes I am a Swashbuckler we dodge pretty well, our damage is pretty insane but unlike Buccaneers we take loads of damage if you manage to hit us. Next up is Witchdoctor they are very smart they like to take health with a Ability called Jobu's breath and Jobu's Kiss but they do take lots of damage like Swashbucklers And also they are ranged attackers. Next up is Musketeer they deal with ranged attacks like Witchdoctors and their defense is fair and attack is pretty good they are also fast so Musketeer is a good school well all of them are good. Next is Privateer they are the healing school they have Abilities that cast Will on your companions and friends in battle also Will determines how many squares you can move if you want to move farther to an enemy use Will anyways back to Privateer they also use some ranged abilities they have really REALLY good healing spells it will safe you in the long run. Now finally we have Buccaneer they are a tank and take damage more then Swashbucklers and Witchdoctors would, they can wear Heavy Armor which is good and trust me once you get earlier in the class abilities and talents its gonna let you teach you to make enemies see you more as a threat which I wouldn't really suggest picking up but besides that its a good school first you start out using a staff then later you get like wood then later you get giant swords which is awesome. If I were you I would pick Privateer if you don't wanna die most of the time. I will be visiting back to this post to inform more about this game possibly the story plot and the worlds.

See you in the spiral!
Sneaky Jonathan L18

Captain
May 13, 2011
no spoilers. anyway, later on, you might wanna improve your accuracy. as you progress, dodging becomes a lot more likely. if a companion can promote, do it ASAP. promoted companions become a LOT more powerful and get an extra attack that cant be dodged