Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Mormo Is pointless.

AuthorMessage
Captain
Oct 15, 2012
Why i hate mormo
1.Mormo is completely useless,because when your a witchdoctor,you pretty much have the same abilities of you,he's just a lot weaker.
2.i dont find mormo's speach pattern.
3.i hate his personality in general
silver joseph vane
tim burton
foxy fazbear

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
thatonevalenciansw... on Oct 5, 2014 wrote:
Why i hate mormo
1.Mormo is completely useless,because when your a witchdoctor,you pretty much have the same abilities of you,he's just a lot weaker.
silver joseph vane
tim burton
foxy fazbear
*Gently distracts Mormo away from the boards with a challenge to once more out do Scratchy in a spell contest* Don't you listen to him Mormo. We love your goofy antics and the Spiral would have much less laughter without you. When you are trained well you can totally kick some tush. I have seen it again and again. You go take on the Spiral Mormo.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
what? mormo? pointless?

sorry but I have to disagree on this, mormo is one of the best witchdoctors in my opinion and heres why:

1: donate talent, amazing spell to add to a buccaneer combined with your own donates
2: pretty high damage for aoe/single hit attack
3: can reduce someone's critical
4: he is sometimes called captain obvious in my opinion (beachhead, mormo: big door) ty captain obvious
made me laugh plenty of times

of course everyone has their own opinion about him, but consider every possible way he could be useful, before he is deemed "pointless"

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
What level are you and he respectively? If he's at a low level, then that might be why he's not as powerful as he could be. If you give him mojo echo 2 and jobu's ruse 1, then he can be a force to be reckoned with against single targets there.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
I totally agree with Flash on this one, Mormo is totally awesome! He is not great when he starts, but then again, what companion is all that when they begin?

Mormo gets sooooo much better though as you promote him, he is THE best Witchdoctor companion in the game, way better than old scratch, which is a shame, because I like old scratch.

The only thing needed for witchdoctor companions, is to add to their range as they promote, range 3 starting, range 4 after promotion.

I get such a kick out of the off the wall things Mormo will say when questing, he is funny!

Gunner's Mate
May 02, 2009
Darth JT on Oct 6, 2014 wrote:
I totally agree with Flash on this one, Mormo is totally awesome! He is not great when he starts, but then again, what companion is all that when they begin?

Mormo gets sooooo much better though as you promote him, he is THE best Witchdoctor companion in the game, way better than old scratch, which is a shame, because I like old scratch.

The only thing needed for witchdoctor companions, is to add to their range as they promote, range 3 starting, range 4 after promotion.

I get such a kick out of the off the wall things Mormo will say when questing, he is funny!
We'll have to agree to disagree there on the "Mormo is the best witchdoctor in the game there" argument there, as I personally use Old Scratch FAR more than I do use Mormo in all honesty there (the latter of whom is my first mate right now currently). You are right about your first paragraph though when you state that companions start to get better as they promote and level up though, as really just like us Pirate Captains, companions don't really have all that much available to them when they're first starting out just like us, but as we level up and promote (so-to-speak) we start to get better and better and also we start to get and gain access to stronger and stronger powers and abilities as well, and the same fall true for the companions in the game right now as well too.

Bosun
May 10, 2010
flash33 on Oct 6, 2014 wrote:
We'll have to agree to disagree there on the "Mormo is the best witchdoctor in the game there" argument there, as I personally use Old Scratch FAR more than I do use Mormo in all honesty there (the latter of whom is my first mate right now currently). You are right about your first paragraph though when you state that companions start to get better as they promote and level up though, as really just like us Pirate Captains, companions don't really have all that much available to them when they're first starting out just like us, but as we level up and promote (so-to-speak) we start to get better and better and also we start to get and gain access to stronger and stronger powers and abilities as well, and the same fall true for the companions in the game right now as well too.
Nothing wrong with agreeing to disagree. I prefer Mormo way more than I do Old Scratch, that is my preference as you have yours. Different players, different play styles, different opinions, its what makes the message boards fun.

I don't even mind that the Poster does not like Mormo as he is entitled to his opinion, but to call Mormo Pointless is harsh. Mormo is anything but pointless and has many uses in many situations!

Of course, depending on your level and the level you have mormo trained to, because if you don't train mormo properly and have him promoted, then he can be less than desired, but that is not Mormo fault.

There is also 2 posts that are designed specifically for companion opinions, Favorite Companion and Least Favorite companion, we can all see, many of us have many different opinions on those threads!

Bosun
Apr 26, 2009
He's decent, but there are definitely better companions

I feel the witchdoctor class for companions is definitely in a struggle right now, the low accuracy n all.

but yeah mormo is one of the weaker witch companions which is pretty terrible

Dead-Eye Luke Level 65

And all my other chars go here

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
I hate to disagree there pirate, but Mormo is a great companion. Have amazing abilities best watermole, out there in my opion.My witchdoctor has a far coarser speech than Mormo, that's why she don't post in the message board that much.Like she says " Amber.Think Mormo a good friend. Amber.Take Mormo a good friend." Each companions are good in there own way. Having a second witchdoctor as a storyline companion is unique to witchdoctors,well at least for now.

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
I would just like to point out,that of all the Witchdoctor companions witchdoctors get,Mormo is the only one who can learn Jobu's Ruse(excluding you,if you get the NEfarious Staff).

Beyond that,let me tell you that Mormo can:
-Breathe Fire
-Summon Storms
-Summon Mojo
-Use Hoodoo Touch and later on more advanced things,not only weakening your opponents but making their critical chances lesser
-Mix those storms with Mojo
-Cause explosive amounts of lightning
-throw fireballs
-Hover above the ground
-Conjure a Legion of Mini-Mormos
-Summon Spirits outside of battle and bind them to certain items(like his mask)
-As a male platypus also has poison glands

And this is just the tip of the iceberg! He'd be way too OP if he used ALL of this to it's FULL potential,which is why he doesnt.

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
I think a lot of people don't know the ways to develop any witchdoctor companion, and therefore think they are weak and useless.

If you already had Mormo when they did the update in August, I would definitely use the "Free Reset" button on him, as I would any companion that I was unhappy with their performance.

Keep in mind that witchdoctors run on Will. Do not bother building their Strength or Agility. The three attributes that should be developed to their max are Will (to increase the likelihood that they will hit), Spooky (to increase the damage done when they hit), and Accuracy (to increase the likelihood of a critical hit).

Admiral
Jul 07, 2013
I like the attack where he creates tiny versions of himself and they run at the enemy...so funny!

Virtuous Dante Ramsey

Ensign
Dec 13, 2008
IMO not just mormo but all companions have their up's and downs. as the captain's of them we have to figure out how to control them. its basically like a game of chess. me personally when farming the moo Manchu tower only use witchdoctor grimtooth and mormo. with them two and my buffs plus theirs we are unstoppable. in certain battles certain companions are good and some are bad. mormo is not weak as myself being a maxed witchdoctor. but when I first started off he was a pain to play with. old scratch still is a pain to play with. but that don't mean he can't hold his own in battle.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
it be true that many have their ups and downs, but in me eyes they a wellspring of untapped potential just give them time and they'll blossom, that be me answer to that.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan

Captain
Oct 15, 2012
were both at the same level btw. if mormo ends up being awesome. i will ask this thread to be closed....which wont happen yet because i still hate mormo

Gunner's Mate
Nov 14, 2013
well on my witch doctor he is awesome in my opinion haters gonna hate

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009
thatonevalenciansw... on Oct 8, 2014 wrote:
were both at the same level btw. if mormo ends up being awesome. i will ask this thread to be closed....which wont happen yet because i still hate mormo
can i ask what your level is?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Max DeGroot on Oct 7, 2014 wrote:
I think a lot of people don't know the ways to develop any witchdoctor companion, and therefore think they are weak and useless.

If you already had Mormo when they did the update in August, I would definitely use the "Free Reset" button on him, as I would any companion that I was unhappy with their performance.

Keep in mind that witchdoctors run on Will. Do not bother building their Strength or Agility. The three attributes that should be developed to their max are Will (to increase the likelihood that they will hit), Spooky (to increase the damage done when they hit), and Accuracy (to increase the likelihood of a critical hit).
I would also add a few points to dodge ( so if attacked, your WD companion has at least a chance of not getting hit ).

Captain
May 16, 2011
....................................................................................................................

.......................................................................................................................

................................................................................................................. What? No, no, no. Mormo is 'mazing. He's actually really powerful, capable of doing over 800 damage with a critical if he's trained right. Don't...... no........ just........ no........... I can't agree with you. At all.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
I have seen a disturbing trend of new annoying personalities coming forth and I DO NOT LIKE IT I call them Blood Snobs. They are refusing to play with anyone who does not have Blood's Jacket. I have dropped off of teams that have tried this and I have the jacket. They tell players they can't join if they don't have it and it just infuriates me. That jacket is a nice tool to have but it is by no means essential for a tower run. We all come into the tower with different strengths and weaknesses and we work together to compensate each other. That's why it is called a Team.

Oops this got on the wrong thread. Moderators please, is it possible to move this to Towering personalities? If not I can delete this and re post there. My apologies.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Oct 18, 2014 wrote:
I have seen a disturbing trend of new annoying personalities coming forth and I DO NOT LIKE IT I call them Blood Snobs. They are refusing to play with anyone who does not have Blood's Jacket. I have dropped off of teams that have tried this and I have the jacket. They tell players they can't join if they don't have it and it just infuriates me. That jacket is a nice tool to have but it is by no means essential for a tower run. We all come into the tower with different strengths and weaknesses and we work together to compensate each other. That's why it is called a Team.

Oops this got on the wrong thread. Moderators please, is it possible to move this to Towering personalities? If not I can delete this and re post there. My apologies.
oops, Chrissy! I think you meant to post this in "Towering Personalities".

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013

Very well said Chrissy! Yeah it seems that many players are self-proclaimed strategic gurus or that a certain dungeon, such as the tower, has to be done a certain way, with certain gear and with specific types of players. What I find so funny is that in my one run at the tower, to date, our group of 4 was put together at that very instance, we didn't even really discuss strategy too much, we all had 'what ever' gear that we thought (on our own would get the job done and guess what.....we completed the tower with practically no issues what so ever. And we did it in a reasonable amount of time, without loosing more than 1 or 2 companions total for the whole tower and all while having fun.....imagine that.

Yes you did have Blood's Jacket equipped, but it wasn't the defining reason as to why we were successful....but it did help a touch. So, yes I can see why this would infuriate you. With a 4 person team, and minimal planning and average players, the tower is surely able to be conquered. Those that insist on finding the 'perfect' way to best it, via using the 'perfect' gear and the 'perfect' strategy, seem to be missing out on the fun and team factor of running the tower and more focused on getting it done as fast as possible so they can move on, possibly dismiss that group of pirates and then do it all over again. If you do complete the tower every time, the exact same way, with the exact same gear, the exact same strategies and by excluding many other fine players out there, where's the fun in that?

(Oops I just realized that this maybe should be on Esperanza's Towering Personalities Thread- I was just in reply-to-your-post mode and hadn't noticed, till now)

Either way I agree with you that excluding others because they and/or their gear aren't perfect fits for you team, is very counterproductive to the whole Team concept-- and a random team at that.

Captain
May 16, 2011

Forgive me for pointing this out, but I think you're on the wrong thread. Did you perhaps mean to put this on this thread?

Getting back on track,(sorry One-Eyed-Jack) Mormo's personality is, in my opinion, one of the best Blind Mew has pulled on us. He's right there next to Ratbeard and Catbeard. His second promotion quest opening was hilarious - I mean the way he said it, not like, you know, that I supposedly like his suffering.

Gunner's Mate
Nov 27, 2009

I have also ran into these and I find it very annoying, yes I also have the jacket, but I will not work with a snob

Lieutenant
Aug 09, 2013
thatonevalenciansw... on Oct 5, 2014 wrote:
Why i hate mormo
silver joseph vane
tim burton
foxy fazbear
Woah, this comment nearly got me a little grumpy... Anyways, Mormo is among, one of the best, if not, THE best witchdoctor companion out there. When he is fully promoted, he gains a bunch of powers for you to use and take advantage of. Plus he does some nice damage. Don't judge characters by their personalities. Thats pointless. Judge them by how they battle. I would also like to point out that ALL companions are weaker than a regular pirate of that class. Let me give an example. Peter Quint, is among one of my favorite companions earth. He hits hard, criticals a lot, and frequently uses up his reletlesses, BUT, if you were to compare my Peter Quint with my Buccaneer pirate, of course the pirate is stronger because I got more talents, powers and health, so don't make up excuses that Mormo is weaker than the average witchdoctor. ALL companions are weaker than you're everyday strong pirates. Also, like I said, don't judge companions by how they act throughout the storyline. I mean, look at Catbeard. He is a greedy, self-concerned, hater of gross places, diva of a cat! But he still kicks some serious behind out in the battlefield. I hate to say it, but you're point don't even EXPLAIN well enough of why you hate Mormo.