Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

March Newsletter

AuthorMessage
Petty Officer
Oct 29, 2012
So I was looking at the most recent newsletter and at the bottom they threw out a teaser character art. The shrimpy looking guy really got my attention and I was wondering what other pirates thought of him. I opened this thread to here other ideas about things like:

what is his name?
where is he from?
what is his class?
What are his powers?

And any other stuff

Administrator
I'm glad you liked the newsletter and the latest teaser Concept Art!

(and just because I wanted to use this graphic one last time today . . . )

We hope it's a fun . . . dun dun dun

Mystery

What do you think, Pirates?

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
I did indeed enjoy that new question mark graphic, Jack, it made me laugh several times today!

But regarding the shrimp-person: my first thought was "I sure hope it isn't based on the mantis shrimp!" The mantis shrimp being a tiny terror of the ocean floor - think of it as a 'Kane' of small marine invertebrates: stronger, faster, and well, maybe not smarter, but certainly sneaky enough.

But no, looking at the art concept, I don't see a resemblance to the mantis shrimp. For one thing, the shrimp-person has rather delicate-looking arms/forelimbs rather than the massive ones that are seen on some species of mantis shrimp (mind you, crustaceans are not my field. The art concept could be based on the grandmother of all predatory shrimp and I wouldn't know). The shrimp-person has a rather benign look to my eye, so perhaps this is an ally, or at least an enemy that would be inclined to think before attacking - perhaps an individual who could be reasoned with.

That doesn't mean they can't defend themselves. The elegant robes suggest those of a mage or a refined witch doctor, but clothes can be deceiving. I see the hint of a 'snap' or perhaps an electrical crackle drawn in the artwork next to the figure. Perhaps this individual fights with their antennae, rather like a two-whip version of El-Toro's own, thus rather swashbuckler style. And is this person male or female? I guess... we'll find out!

First Mate
Dec 13, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 5, 2014 wrote:
I'm glad you liked the newsletter and the latest teaser Concept Art!

(and just because I wanted to use this graphic one last time today . . . )

We hope it's a fun . . . dun dun dun

Mystery

What do you think, Pirates?
How did you do that?!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Kai Alcott on Mar 5, 2014 wrote:
How did you do that?!
Lol the benefits of being the guy that runs the boards. Jack has access to surprises like that just to make our day with a good giggle. I enjoyed it thoroughly and loved the surprise of it and the repetition just cracked me up. Well played Jack.

Administrator
Kai Alcott on Mar 5, 2014 wrote:
How did you do that?!
I have magic powers!

And now back to the topic at hand:

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 6, 2014 wrote:
I have magic powers!

*Delighted Giggle* Oh that is just priceless and I love seeing your familiar pic again. Just loving that stormy looking shrimp.

Commodore
Sep 20, 2009
Hmm, very nice artwork KI.

Speaking of artwork I can't exactly tell what species this guy is modeled after. It appears to simply be inspired by the general characteristics of the order Amphipoda. Amphipoda itself is an order within the same class (Malacostraca) of crustaceans that you find lobsters, crayfish, and crabs.

However, there are roughly 6 000 species in the Amphipoda order. Amphipoda are mostly marine critters, living almost anywhere in the ocean environment. There are a few fresh water species, and there is a single terrestrial species, commonly known as the potato bug or pill bug. I would assume that the critter featured here is one of the marine species. At least it looks nothing like a potato bug.

Although this Amphipoda does look like it might have some witchdoctor pseudo-magical abilities, I could much more easily see him as a swashbuckler. Amphipoda lack the armoured carapace that many other crustaceans, including crabs, possess. So, while Amphipoda are still stuff little crustaceans, they are not quite as armoured as the other members of their class. Amphipoda are also rather fast, agile little swimmers in their environment, their bodies are generally flattened laterally which increases their swimming speed. The majority of these little crusty guys are very fast swimmers that rely on their agility to avoid predation. Much like a swashbuckler.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
CdeWinter on Mar 6, 2014 wrote:
Hmm, very nice artwork KI.

Speaking of artwork I can't exactly tell what species this guy is modeled after. It appears to simply be inspired by the general characteristics of the order Amphipoda. Amphipoda itself is an order within the same class (Malacostraca) of crustaceans that you find lobsters, crayfish, and crabs.

However, there are roughly 6 000 species in the Amphipoda order. Amphipoda are mostly marine critters, living almost anywhere in the ocean environment. There are a few fresh water species, and there is a single terrestrial species, commonly known as the potato bug or pill bug. I would assume that the critter featured here is one of the marine species. At least it looks nothing like a potato bug.

Although this Amphipoda does look like it might have some witchdoctor pseudo-magical abilities, I could much more easily see him as a swashbuckler. Amphipoda lack the armoured carapace that many other crustaceans, including crabs, possess. So, while Amphipoda are still stuff little crustaceans, they are not quite as armoured as the other members of their class. Amphipoda are also rather fast, agile little swimmers in their environment, their bodies are generally flattened laterally which increases their swimming speed. The majority of these little crusty guys are very fast swimmers that rely on their agility to avoid predation. Much like a swashbuckler.
Wow, this is some really great stuff Mi Lady DeWinter. It is such a privilege to have such intelligent posters like you on these boards. You never know when you are going to decide to enrich our brains with some awesome information. It's like having your own private professor to call you over and share some amazing knowledge that we would have otherwise missed in the excitement. I cherish learning and I sleep well at the end of a day that I know I have learned something new. I for sure an gonna sleep soundly tonight. Thank you kindly for sharing your wondrous world with us.

Captain
Dec 11, 2010
One-Eyed Jack on Mar 6, 2014 wrote:
I have magic powers!

:O its the legendary picture of the Friendly Necromancer. I wasn't expecting you to post the picture, thus another one of his powers is revealed, the ability to catch anyone off guard.

My idea for what the shrimp mage could be

Maybe he has something that is completely barmy!