Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Let's Keep It Under Control

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
Let's keep crowns gear under control. I don't want to see Pirate101 pvp end up like Wizard101 pvp. I'm okay with the crowns gear for the moment. It's good but it's not unbelievably OP. I just wanted to say this post in case a Kingsisle staff sees it and reports to the head honcho and then they will not make gear too OP. If you guys at Kingsisle already weren't going to make unbelievable gear in the crown shop then that's great. Gear from farming should always be better than crowns gear.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
*sigh* PvP related complaints always seem to leak out of the Spar Chamber...leave them there, please.

I don't see why it matters so much. Something that costs actual money should have stats to reflect that, in my opinion. I personally don't purchase much with Crowns, and I try to avoid PvP unless it's a friendly match against a friend.

"Gear from farming should always be better than crowns gear."

Not always. There should be a few things worth buying if you really want to spend money on them.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
Gear from farming should always be better than crowns gear.

Why? What's the logic behind that, please?

Captain
Dec 01, 2012
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Sep 26, 2014 wrote:
Gear from farming should always be better than crowns gear.

Why? What's the logic behind that, please?
I think it's Hard Work and Time VS Money.That you shouldn't be able to buy your way to the top.

At the same time,though,you could argue that much of farmed gear can be obtained through second chance chests,which exhibit as much randomness as the packs(excluding many head patters tummy rubbers),and unless you're really really lucky,odds are you'll have to spend either quite a bit of crowns or quite a bit of time to receive the gear you wanted.

And KI has been showing a lot and a lot of beyond epic nefarious gear.Some with insane boosts,awesome cards,and such.Aquila and Marleybone both brought with them cool gear,and the Tower of Moo Manchu is a well of joys for the collectors.Of course,this isn't to say that there is a 100% chance of getting great gear in the Tower.But,my first tower run,I walked out with a necklace and ring that are more amazing than most of what I have.And on my second run,I walked out with an outfit that was beyond epic.

And this is on top of all the other amazing farming places.As a witchdoctor,I can say that Bishop is a good target.Medea's Crook is something i want,Red Fox has Houndini's robes.The harpies roaming Aquila,as well as Zeena drop some cool furniture.This is just naming a few.

My first farming instances was once when I had no friends and spent 7 hours and a half fighting Bobby Bones to get the Robe of the Bloodlord,and those were some great memories.Farming with friends is twice as fun.

And crowns gear...well...most people aware of my situation know that I'm not too high on crowns.So I treat 75 crowns like it's a river of oil.

With that in mind,I've so far only bought the Cephalopod Staff,mostly because of it's appearance.It was,however,extremely powerful,compared to some of the other staffs I was using(like the Skreechstaff).

So,while I cannot speak for the whole picture,I can say that those two seem fairly balanced,and I see no reason for complaining.It is under control.

Blessings and Giggles on you guys!

Captain
Jan 17, 2012
Frankly, I consider PvP to be a waste of time. As far as I can tell, you gain nothing of value from doing so, and it often comes down to players who want to be on the winning side, so, a group of four eventually ends up as 3 v 1.

Unless, of course, PvP has changed drastically since it was first introduced.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Like others have stated, we also must consider how the term "hard work" is defined. There's in-game hard work from rigorous farming in the Spiral and there's real-life hard work as well. Sure buying great gear with Crowns may seem like the easy way out and a bit of a 'cheating of the system'. But, when I use second chance chests and/or buy gear using Crowns it comes from money that I had to work really hard for, in real-life. And for most, working for a living is by no means entirely easy.

So, like thy Master of Hoodoo noted, it all equals out and is balanced-- so to speak. Sure there may be some that receive Crowns as a gift, but somewhere down the line real-life hard work played a roll in earning the money to purchase the Crowns.

If many of us put in the time to work for a living and purchase with Crowns or use SCC, then it is surely our reward to spend the hard earned money on obtaining amazing gear, possibly a bit faster-- because we may not have as much time for the in-game hard work.....seeing as we will soon have to be hitting the grindstone again.

Captain
Mar 24, 2013
Real player vs.player in pirates may sound great,as well as tournaments. But my concern is players will going to start a verbal fight to each other due to excessive envy ( get very jealous ) toward others,like in wizards. Sure earning PVP badges are great,but another concern is some players may going to boast repeatedly about their victory(ies),witch unfortunately may irritate some players in the game.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
I believe that Crown Shop gear is equitable with in- game gear, but if you pay for gear with crowns this a real investment in the game; so you must get your money's worth. Right now, Crown Shop gear is just a bit better than in game gear, without being over-bearingly so. It's still the skill of the player that makes that weapon effective.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
The Hoodoo Master on Sep 26, 2014 wrote:
I think it's Hard Work and Time VS Money.That you shouldn't be able to buy your way to the top.

At the same time,though,you could argue that much of farmed gear can be obtained through second chance chests,which exhibit as much randomness as the packs(excluding many head patters tummy rubbers),and unless you're really really lucky,odds are you'll have to spend either quite a bit of crowns or quite a bit of time to receive the gear you wanted.

And KI has been showing a lot and a lot of beyond epic nefarious gear.Some with insane boosts,awesome cards,and such.Aquila and Marleybone both brought with them cool gear,and the Tower of Moo Manchu is a well of joys for the collectors.Of course,this isn't to say that there is a 100% chance of getting great gear in the Tower.But,my first tower run,I walked out with a necklace and ring that are more amazing than most of what I have.And on my second run,I walked out with an outfit that was beyond epic.

And this is on top of all the other amazing farming places.As a witchdoctor,I can say that Bishop is a good target.Medea's Crook is something i want,Red Fox has Houndini's robes.The harpies roaming Aquila,as well as Zeena drop some cool furniture.This is just naming a few.

My first farming instances was once when I had no friends and spent 7 hours and a half fighting Bobby Bones to get the Robe of the Bloodlord,and those were some great memories.Farming with friends is twice as fun.

And crowns gear...well...most people aware of my situation know that I'm not too high on crowns.So I treat 75 crowns like it's a river of oil.

With that in mind,I've so far only bought the Cephalopod Staff,mostly because of it's appearance.It was,however,extremely powerful,compared to some of the other staffs I was using(like the Skreechstaff).

So,while I cannot speak for the whole picture,I can say that those two seem fairly balanced,and I see no reason for complaining.It is under control.

Blessings and Giggles on you guys!
If you reread my post you will see hat I never once said hat crowns gear was too amazing. I said I was good with it. This post was to prevent the gear in the future from becoming too good. So, yes I agree with you that it is balanced right now and that crowns gear should be really good. I'm only trying to prevent pvp from becoming like Wizard101 pvp. If you look at wizard101 crowns gear you will see that it is about ten times more amazing than any other gear. I don't want to see crowns people rule over everybody else like that. So, once again I believe Pirate101 is doing a great job with balancing everything out.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
One other thing, I don't mind crowns gear being better than in-game gear so long as it isn't eye opening, jaw dropping, finger shaking, head spinning, toe twitching, tongue drooling, lip smacking good gear like in other games.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Monkrinx2024 on Sep 28, 2014 wrote:
Real player vs.player in pirates may sound great,as well as tournaments. But my concern is players will going to start a verbal fight to each other due to excessive envy ( get very jealous ) toward others,like in wizards. Sure earning PVP badges are great,but another concern is some players may going to boast repeatedly about their victory(ies),witch unfortunately may irritate some players in the game.
The fact that there are rude players in the game and ones with no sense of sportsmanship has nothing to do with the goodies being available. They are going to be rude because they either where not taught better or they do not have the good character to put in action what they were taught. They are going to be rude no matter what. Withholding perks so they won't get jealous just won't work. They are so selfish that they will just see something else they want to focus their rudeness on.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Also, as Esperanza noted- the best gear doesn't always produce the best results. There are players out there that have used Crowns to purchase the best gear they can get their hooks on, but don't really know how use it to it's full and most powerful potential. And likewise there are players that equip only what the game has to offer, without using Crowns, and from having a complete understanding of the combat system and how to use talents, gear, powers, epic talents, practice points and pirate training, companions and training points, are more deadly than a player who has purchased the most powerful gear in the game.

The best bought gear doesn't always translate to Spiral success and/or superiority.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 29, 2014 wrote:
Also, as Esperanza noted- the best gear doesn't always produce the best results. There are players out there that have used Crowns to purchase the best gear they can get their hooks on, but don't really know how use it to it's full and most powerful potential. And likewise there are players that equip only what the game has to offer, without using Crowns, and from having a complete understanding of the combat system and how to use talents, gear, powers, epic talents, practice points and pirate training, companions and training points, are more deadly than a player who has purchased the most powerful gear in the game.

The best bought gear doesn't always translate to Spiral success and/or superiority.
Yes, but it definitely helps

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Duke of Westminste... on Sep 28, 2014 wrote:
If you reread my post you will see hat I never once said hat crowns gear was too amazing. I said I was good with it. This post was to prevent the gear in the future from becoming too good. So, yes I agree with you that it is balanced right now and that crowns gear should be really good. I'm only trying to prevent pvp from becoming like Wizard101 pvp. If you look at wizard101 crowns gear you will see that it is about ten times more amazing than any other gear. I don't want to see crowns people rule over everybody else like that. So, once again I believe Pirate101 is doing a great job with balancing everything out.
Great point, Duke and I believe I also replied as a result of not reading your original post closely enough. I haven't played W101 so I have not seen what the W101 Crown gear is like and just how over the top it is compared to in-game, non-Crown purchased gear. So I apologize for not looking closer at what your original message was trying to convey.

I certainly wouldn't want the gear bought from Crowns to be so much more amazing then 'regular gear' from just playing the game.....but with the current state of the Crown Shop gear, and if Crown gear were to get a bit more powerful than 'in-game gear', I also wouldn't want players to be discouraged from spending there hard earned money if they so chose to,-- especially if finding in-game time is harder for them to come by.

Maybe within the realm of the PvP arena, if the Crown Shop gear were to get that much more overpowering, there could the option for separate PvP 'arenas', based on purchased gear and in-game gear. Maybe a door only for players who don't have any Crown gear equipped and once inside, switching to Crown purchased gear also would not be allowed, a door for Crown Gear only PvP (meaning if you have at least 1 piece of Crown gear upon entering the door and the battle) and then a door for 'anything goes gear' PvP-- a mix of in-game and purchased gear. Although, I am not sure if Stitched gear is considered Crown gear or not, since you do use Crowns for the stitching. But maybe the programming would be able to identify the files of the pre-stitched gear as well and go by that to determine if the player has access to the 'Crown Gear Only or Mixed Gear doors- or must use the Non-Crown Gear door.

Not sure if anything like this is even reasonably possible, but maybe it's worth looking into as well as the ranked PvP that is in the works. But I do agree that there currently is a good balance between Crown gear and Non-Crown gear, especially with the new Tower. Most of that gear is on par or better than what you can buy in the Crown Shop anyways. The funny thing is, is that I have purchased several pieces of gear from the Crown Shop but I don't even have any of it equipped and actually, currently, prefer the gear that I have obtained via my pirate(s)' Spiral adventuring.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 29, 2014 wrote:
Great point, Duke and I believe I also replied as a result of not reading your original post closely enough. I haven't played W101 so I have not seen what the W101 Crown gear is like and just how over the top it is compared to in-game, non-Crown purchased gear. So I apologize for not looking closer at what your original message was trying to convey.

I certainly wouldn't want the gear bought from Crowns to be so much more amazing then 'regular gear' from just playing the game.....but with the current state of the Crown Shop gear, and if Crown gear were to get a bit more powerful than 'in-game gear', I also wouldn't want players to be discouraged from spending there hard earned money if they so chose to,-- especially if finding in-game time is harder for them to come by.

Maybe within the realm of the PvP arena, if the Crown Shop gear were to get that much more overpowering, there could the option for separate PvP 'arenas', based on purchased gear and in-game gear. Maybe a door only for players who don't have any Crown gear equipped and once inside, switching to Crown purchased gear also would not be allowed, a door for Crown Gear only PvP (meaning if you have at least 1 piece of Crown gear upon entering the door and the battle) and then a door for 'anything goes gear' PvP-- a mix of in-game and purchased gear. Although, I am not sure if Stitched gear is considered Crown gear or not, since you do use Crowns for the stitching. But maybe the programming would be able to identify the files of the pre-stitched gear as well and go by that to determine if the player has access to the 'Crown Gear Only or Mixed Gear doors- or must use the Non-Crown Gear door.

Not sure if anything like this is even reasonably possible, but maybe it's worth looking into as well as the ranked PvP that is in the works. But I do agree that there currently is a good balance between Crown gear and Non-Crown gear, especially with the new Tower. Most of that gear is on par or better than what you can buy in the Crown Shop anyways. The funny thing is, is that I have purchased several pieces of gear from the Crown Shop but I don't even have any of it equipped and actually, currently, prefer the gear that I have obtained via my pirate(s)' Spiral adventuring.
I think your heading in the right direction with that separate doors idea but I don't like how it separates crowns people from non crowns people. At the moment I can't think of an alternative but if we keep on dishing out ideas sooner or later one of us is bound to come up with something

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Duke of Westminste... on Sep 30, 2014 wrote:
I think your heading in the right direction with that separate doors idea but I don't like how it separates crowns people from non crowns people. At the moment I can't think of an alternative but if we keep on dishing out ideas sooner or later one of us is bound to come up with something
Well that's where the 'free for all' door would come into play. Any gear regardless of Crowns or no Crowns or a mixture of the two would be available and allowed. Those that want to test their mettle against other Crowns purchased gear players only can do that, those that want to give it a go against farmed only gear (no Crown Shop gear) can do so and those that just want to battle it out with anyone willing and able, regardless of gear, could get their fix as well.

If some were to feel that Crowns gear became too overpowering and were frustrated by it during PvP, they would have the option of PvP against only players they deemed on the same level as far as in-game, acquired gear goes.

Those that thought Crowns gear was far superior but love a good, fierce challenge could take their in-game, farmed only gear up against what they thought was a better, more powerfully equipped pirate.

And those that just love PvP and want to test strategies, mix it up and enjoy all the equipment the game has to offer, in-game and/or Crown purchased, would be able to engage in PvP with all comers and all gear combinations.

The separation of Crowns and non Crowns would only come from those that desired it due to possible frustrations over superior/inferior concerns and those that just want to see how they fair against their 'considered equals'. The rest of the players would still be able to mix it up with whomever showed up ready to battle and have some good ol' PvP fun.