Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Is Kan Po a reference to Doctor Who?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Apr 28, 2010
I was reading about the 1974 Doctor Who serial Planet of the Spiders (the 3rd Doctor -> 4th Doctor regeneration story) and found out about a character called K'anpo. He is a Time Lord that left Gallifrey and became a Buddhist abbot on Earth in the late 20th century (and assumed the moniker of the Hermit). Is Kan Po an intentional reference to Doctor Who? If so, it's a very good one!

Cheers.

Captain
May 16, 2011
Toa of Light on Jun 18, 2015 wrote:
I was reading about the 1974 Doctor Who serial Planet of the Spiders (the 3rd Doctor -> 4th Doctor regeneration story) and found out about a character called K'anpo. He is a Time Lord that left Gallifrey and became a Buddhist abbot on Earth in the late 20th century (and assumed the moniker of the Hermit). Is Kan Po an intentional reference to Doctor Who? If so, it's a very good one!

Cheers.
Hey! Blind Mew has mentioned before his liking of Doctor Who, so this very well could be true.

Of course, it could be a certain time in Japanese history. Kanpo is a time which stretches from 1741 to 1744. The Emporer during the time was Sakuramachi-tenno. Kanpo means "Keeping lenient and generous." That sounds like Kan Po, does it not?

First Mate
Nov 01, 2012
Toa of Light on Jun 18, 2015 wrote:

Cheers.
Well, I'm not sure, but knowing Blind Mew, it is entirely possible.