Follow important game updates on Twitter @Pirate101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

In defense of KI

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10115
Helenie Nightseer on Mar 5, 2020 wrote:
Thanks for jumping in, Bat.

Has anyone seen anything specific from the creators that really explains what's wrong?

I saw somewhere that there were layoffs a while ago and here Bat mentions resources - but I'm wondering why they don't pool the resources and just put out the updates for both games. For Wizard101 it would be less frequent but it seems that both games could get all the updates...including worlds, books, and story arcs.

Unless they just don't have employees that want to work on Pirate? Or enough employees who want to?

And for the record, I don't think KI needs defending. They supply a product, they claim their not phasing it out...but I used to work at Toys R Us. So hopefully it is not that dire, it just sounds like what they used to tell us. ANYWAY, we pay the same for less, it's true. But that's our choice.

I just wish someone who really understands the situation would clearly say what it is and if not - why they can't tell us. I've scoured the internet trying to understand this and decide whether to get my year sub and one for my nephew. No new stories was really disappointing.
In 2016, KI had some massive lay-offs, there was even a walk-off of some important talent. Then KI merged the two separate teams, claiming this would have no impact on P101.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1936
anecorbie on Mar 5, 2020 wrote:
In 2016, KI had some massive lay-offs, there was even a walk-off of some important talent. Then KI merged the two separate teams, claiming this would have no impact on P101.
"claiming this would have no impact on P101." And then Tom aka One-Eyed Jack left for mobile games...


Ensign
Jul 09, 2010
22
anecorbie on Mar 5, 2020 wrote:
In 2016, KI had some massive lay-offs, there was even a walk-off of some important talent. Then KI merged the two separate teams, claiming this would have no impact on P101.
Man that's hard. For them and us, I guess.

I've been looking online this morning and I could be wrong, as it was REALLY hard to find dates for live releases for all the worlds, but it seems like between the two games together there's an average of 2 new worlds or second halves of really big ones, every year from 2012 on. It's just mostly focused on W101.

I expect a lot of the work on the first half of P101 was finished or well underway before it opened though.

If they hadn't told us no new books for the foreseeable future, I'd just assume they were working on a new full size world that would be coming out later this year and be starting another arc. If that was the case it would have been close to keeping up with Wizard101 content. I don't really care how long it takes as long as it's pretty regular. Somewhere I wished that they'd just alternate focus and bring the full updates out on both games by turns. But I don't think I really care if the game's not built around a good story - it's half of why I like the 101 games.

*beleaguered sigh*

I guess we'll see what there is to see when the future is now.

Thanks for the info.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10115
Willowydream on Mar 6, 2020 wrote:
"claiming this would have no impact on P101." And then Tom aka One-Eyed Jack left for mobile games...

That was a step up for Tom and I was really happy for him, but I surely do miss him....

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1195
I think we all wish they'd alternate focus between P101 and W101. At least that way we'd get some actual attention, rather than some silly throwaway line about how much they love us pirate players and how delighted they are to sail the skyways with us (HA! As if they bother to sail the skyways at all anymore!) every newsletter.

Ensign
Dec 09, 2012
4
It's really sad to see where the state of this game and me, as a player, lies.

I've had 6 max level pirates for about 2 to 3 years now and only log on to chat with irl friends, complete Tower of Moo Manchu runs, or farm dungeons and help other pirates for the wiki.

And now, the wiki is down and have no incentive or reason to play. Even on this account, if I wanted to play through the story for the 7th time, I would have to pay money. As I am now in college, that would take forever with my schedule.

Seriously, it is baffling KI does not seem to realize the ONLY way to keep Pirate101 afloat a tiny bit more and bring in more players is to 1) Make their OWN ads instead of relying on us, the players, who are basically done, and 2) Bring us Book 16.

All we want is Book 16. I don't even care if the story is just going to new people in existing locations. I just want a continuation of the story that I loved so much as a teen being brought back to me now, as an adult. (Wow, I can't believe that's a sentence I would write. I sound like a noob just wanting nostalgia lol.)

Is that too much to ask? Why is it so hard? 4 years without any kind of story (I don't even think the Party Barge counts, since that can just be treated like a side quest like Moo Manchu) is sad and pathetic while Wizard101 gets all of this new content.

Ensign
Jul 09, 2010
22
Humble Aaron on Mar 17, 2020 wrote:
It's really sad to see where the state of this game and me, as a player, lies.

I've had 6 max level pirates for about 2 to 3 years now and only log on to chat with irl friends, complete Tower of Moo Manchu runs, or farm dungeons and help other pirates for the wiki.

And now, the wiki is down and have no incentive or reason to play. Even on this account, if I wanted to play through the story for the 7th time, I would have to pay money. As I am now in college, that would take forever with my schedule.

Seriously, it is baffling KI does not seem to realize the ONLY way to keep Pirate101 afloat a tiny bit more and bring in more players is to 1) Make their OWN ads instead of relying on us, the players, who are basically done, and 2) Bring us Book 16.

All we want is Book 16. I don't even care if the story is just going to new people in existing locations. I just want a continuation of the story that I loved so much as a teen being brought back to me now, as an adult. (Wow, I can't believe that's a sentence I would write. I sound like a noob just wanting nostalgia lol.)

Is that too much to ask? Why is it so hard? 4 years without any kind of story (I don't even think the Party Barge counts, since that can just be treated like a side quest like Moo Manchu) is sad and pathetic while Wizard101 gets all of this new content.
I've not seen anything from any one at KI to this affect, but my guess is that either the people who liked writing the stories for Pirate101 are gone or they are still there but can't for reasons we're not aware of. (Like being transferred to other departments or the remaining team for such a thing being too small anymore to support, so being tasked with smaller more doable things.)

Either way - it's looking over. Story-wise. I did get a 1 year membership, just to play from the beginning again and see how it feels. Though I can't imagine wanting to revisit it for that purpose more than once every 2-3 years. In time, even less. /As it is, I can't remember if the Armada and it's evil source was destroyed or just stopped. But once I know the story by heart...?

Ensign
Oct 24, 2012
3
The frustrating part to me is just the lack of clear communication to us. It's starting to feel like there are no solid plans for the game anymore. All we hear now is that:
1) Pirate101 isn't going to shut down
2) There are no big updates in development.

It'd just be nice to see a little roadmap or something of what IS being developed/planned instead of those two things being repeated for 4 years. My main fear is that there might be nothing being planned and that they just try to make a little boss fight last minute (Or the party barge which is just like 5 repeatable quests that can be finished within the day) to tide us over for a year or two. But what's even the point of repeating the boss fight to unlock new companions if there's not going to be any more story to use them in?

And @Bat's response, if you need more resources for the game (assuming the implication was that the team isn't being given many funds/staff for a meaty update), has the team considered doing a kickstarter or gofundme campaign? It would serve as a fundraiser and also a form of advertisement.

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1195
Look, they can't be bothered to keep up with their own bloody forum; you think they're going to spend time and energy on giving us any more game? Any more you only get a response if call someone out by name in the title of the thread, and even then it's not a guarantee. We've been saying (here in the forums) for a couple of years now that giving us a bit more story would help revive the game, but they've got their fingers in their ears and are shouting "Lalala, can't hear you pirates" at the top of their lungs. Then they wonder why people aren't renewing their subscriptions to P101

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2019
91
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Mar 12, 2020 wrote:
I think we all wish they'd alternate focus between P101 and W101. At least that way we'd get some actual attention, rather than some silly throwaway line about how much they love us pirate players and how delighted they are to sail the skyways with us (HA! As if they bother to sail the skyways at all anymore!) every newsletter.
x sighs x I can see this is a losing battle. I make one of my last stands: Can anyone read minds? Can anyone predict what KI will do? SO WHAT IF THEY'VE MADE IT SEEM LIKE THEY DON'T CARE! Do you remember what it was like being a noob, learning from mistakes? Do you remember the first time you started playing? If they won't help,then we can. We can spread the word. WE can do it. But divided like this, what good will it do to give up on this fun game? If KI see more players, or maybe old players united, we could get book 16.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10115
Amazingshot123 on Mar 18, 2020 wrote:
x sighs x I can see this is a losing battle. I make one of my last stands: Can anyone read minds? Can anyone predict what KI will do? SO WHAT IF THEY'VE MADE IT SEEM LIKE THEY DON'T CARE! Do you remember what it was like being a noob, learning from mistakes? Do you remember the first time you started playing? If they won't help,then we can. We can spread the word. WE can do it. But divided like this, what good will it do to give up on this fun game? If KI see more players, or maybe old players united, we could get book 16.
"Seems like they don't care " is a true statement.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1936
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Mar 18, 2020 wrote:
Look, they can't be bothered to keep up with their own bloody forum; you think they're going to spend time and energy on giving us any more game? Any more you only get a response if call someone out by name in the title of the thread, and even then it's not a guarantee. We've been saying (here in the forums) for a couple of years now that giving us a bit more story would help revive the game, but they've got their fingers in their ears and are shouting "Lalala, can't hear you pirates" at the top of their lungs. Then they wonder why people aren't renewing their subscriptions to P101
This pretty much mirrored my recent thinking. A few years ago, we could expect that new posts here on the main site would be approved a few times per day, and several staff members were willing to join in discussions. Now, we're being directed to social media, where all we will see from Kingsisle Staff is comments and questions about Wizard101's new events, new mounts, new packs. Oh, wait, I forgot -- a new Puppet Pirates once per month. At least we have Puppet Pirates still happening.

Seriously, directing Pirate101 players to social media is like directing someone on a restricted diet to go watch the cooks create meals in the restaurant kitchen. "Oh, sorry - you can't have that, it's for THEM over there."


Ensign
Nov 26, 2011
22
Amazingshot123 on Mar 18, 2020 wrote:
x sighs x I can see this is a losing battle. I make one of my last stands: Can anyone read minds? Can anyone predict what KI will do? SO WHAT IF THEY'VE MADE IT SEEM LIKE THEY DON'T CARE! Do you remember what it was like being a noob, learning from mistakes? Do you remember the first time you started playing? If they won't help,then we can. We can spread the word. WE can do it. But divided like this, what good will it do to give up on this fun game? If KI see more players, or maybe old players united, we could get book 16.
There's no division. These forums almost unanimously disagree with the defense you've offered for this insanity.

We can't read minds. But we can, however, predict what KI will do. The suits up top (not our beloved Bat and Ratbeard) will sit there and abuse the loyalty (currently of questionable basis by the way) of the crown-purchasers and subscribers of this game, trickling out content at a rate and size that would be and is a death sentence for this game.

I fail to see what being a noob has to do with anything. But yes, I would like to see the skeleton of this community make some noise and try to save this game. But here's the problem - it should not be our burden to do so. Kingsisle should be advertising to breathe new life into P101, and they should be churning out larger amounts of content even for this decaying playerbase as it would restore good will and bring back many players who left only because of the lack of said content.

If you want to get the word out and take it upon yourself to bring new people in, do it. I'll even help. I'm going to leave you with this though - you seem to be taking the responses in this thread personally. Don't. Nobody here is attacking you, or necessarily even your argument. All of us just largely disagree.

Now, I think I'm pretty much done with this topic. I hope you see you around the skyways! {Ship Icon}

Ensign
Mar 03, 2020
38
Amazingshot123 on Mar 18, 2020 wrote:
x sighs x I can see this is a losing battle. I make one of my last stands: Can anyone read minds? Can anyone predict what KI will do? SO WHAT IF THEY'VE MADE IT SEEM LIKE THEY DON'T CARE! Do you remember what it was like being a noob, learning from mistakes? Do you remember the first time you started playing? If they won't help,then we can. We can spread the word. WE can do it. But divided like this, what good will it do to give up on this fun game? If KI see more players, or maybe old players united, we could get book 16.
What do you mean "they've made it seem like they don't care," they've absolutely proven that claim.

after 2016, I figured there was a slim chance that this could be a revival, and a decent comeback.
2017 and on has absolutely destroyed these hopes of mine.
Party Barge is okay, not enough to be its own update (same with the ledger and ship pvp. If they were to add, let's say crafting along with these 3, you'd have a solid QOL year update.)
Skeleton Key fights were better than what the Party Barge gave us, at least something to farm, even if only two of the fights were good (this is a problem of simply KI not knowing how the game itself works, unfortunately. When only Obsidian Blood and Obsidian Duck were worth farming.) But still, this by itself is not enough to suffice for a QOL update, this combined with what said above, it would be solid and imo suffice for a year.
I have nothing to add of Blightbeard and Black Anne (Is that even her name? I never cared enough to look), I would be repeating the same problems the above has.

Not that I blame KI at all, no. They're simply pulling resources into what'll produce better, which is Wiz. I don't blame Wiz at all for being more successful, it makes total sense, and to be concise, Pirate has never been running too well from the start. KI was hoping Wiz players would hop and play Pirate101, but the vast differences of the two games hurt that.
I have 5 max classes, and working on 2 others. Afterwards, I have no idea what I'll do, I have obsidian kane and moo bought, but farming can only suffice for so long.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10115
Amazingshot123 on Mar 18, 2020 wrote:
x sighs x I can see this is a losing battle. I make one of my last stands: Can anyone read minds? Can anyone predict what KI will do? SO WHAT IF THEY'VE MADE IT SEEM LIKE THEY DON'T CARE! Do you remember what it was like being a noob, learning from mistakes? Do you remember the first time you started playing? If they won't help,then we can. We can spread the word. WE can do it. But divided like this, what good will it do to give up on this fun game? If KI see more players, or maybe old players united, we could get book 16.
So what?! Well, why should we continue paying into KI's pocket when they flat out told us that they're not working on anything for us? We used to get hints like: "We have something exciting planned but it's not ready yet" now we don't even get that anymore.
Also, have you noticed that W101 has had 2 new pets and a mount? We used to get the same, not anymore.
A few of us have more than one account, many here have all 6 slots filled. Playing for nostalgia reasons doesn't appeal to us. You're not sounding hopeful to me, but desperate.

So what if we had fun many years ago when we were new What is the situation now!?
It doesn't matter at all how we feel or what we say; if KI wants to pull the plug on this game, then that's the end.
I don't have to be a mind reader to notice a trend; however, if we get a significant update this year, then you may say : "So Hah!" to the rest of us and I'll gladly agree with you.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10115
miniapollo17 on Mar 18, 2020 wrote:
The frustrating part to me is just the lack of clear communication to us. It's starting to feel like there are no solid plans for the game anymore. All we hear now is that:
1) Pirate101 isn't going to shut down
2) There are no big updates in development.

It'd just be nice to see a little roadmap or something of what IS being developed/planned instead of those two things being repeated for 4 years. My main fear is that there might be nothing being planned and that they just try to make a little boss fight last minute (Or the party barge which is just like 5 repeatable quests that can be finished within the day) to tide us over for a year or two. But what's even the point of repeating the boss fight to unlock new companions if there's not going to be any more story to use them in?

And @Bat's response, if you need more resources for the game (assuming the implication was that the team isn't being given many funds/staff for a meaty update), has the team considered doing a kickstarter or gofundme campaign? It would serve as a fundraiser and also a form of advertisement.
I don't see how Kickstarter or gofundme would in any way help an established and successful business ( soon to be 12 years for W101 ) like KingsIsle. Isn't that for small companies just starting?
What they need to do ( if they don't have resources [ & just what happened to our money?] ) is to allocate some of the funds from Wizard.

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2019
91
anecorbie on Mar 19, 2020 wrote:
So what?! Well, why should we continue paying into KI's pocket when they flat out told us that they're not working on anything for us? We used to get hints like: "We have something exciting planned but it's not ready yet" now we don't even get that anymore.
Also, have you noticed that W101 has had 2 new pets and a mount? We used to get the same, not anymore.
A few of us have more than one account, many here have all 6 slots filled. Playing for nostalgia reasons doesn't appeal to us. You're not sounding hopeful to me, but desperate.

So what if we had fun many years ago when we were new What is the situation now!?
It doesn't matter at all how we feel or what we say; if KI wants to pull the plug on this game, then that's the end.
I don't have to be a mind reader to notice a trend; however, if we get a significant update this year, then you may say : "So Hah!" to the rest of us and I'll gladly agree with you.
Ok, why are you still here? This completely proves the point I am making: if you had all lost hope, we wouldn't be having this argument because you wouldn't be here. And you're right, I am desperate. But I reminded you of your fun in the past for a reason: try to remember the fun of the game and try it from that angle. Many of us sit there with our arms crossed, thinking:" there's nothing more to this game" And the others sit there thinking "please let there be an update". Games were invented for 2 reasons: 1 to make profit, 2 to have fun. And I know KI is playing just on the first one, but really, don't tell me that you've given up hope after 4 years. Why are you having this argument with me? Why haven't you left? Give me reason for that and I'll stop defending KI.

Dread Pirate
May 27, 2009
1936
Why are you still here?

To be the thorn in the paw, the squeaky wheel, the voice in the wilderness. If we didn't care so much, anecorbie and I would have simply faded away like everyone else has over the years. Even we have our limits, though.

I cannot defend Kingsisle any longer, not after the admission that there will be no new Books forthcoming. So I let my subscriptions lapse. I do still buy the occasional gift card or Crowns, and I do still play, and so I will continue to remind everyone that we are still playing.

If Kingsisle actually gave us some hint that there will be ANYTHING new, EVER, it would breathe life into these boards, fan sites, social media, and maybe even into the game itself.


Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10115
Amazingshot123 on Mar 20, 2020 wrote:
Ok, why are you still here? This completely proves the point I am making: if you had all lost hope, we wouldn't be having this argument because you wouldn't be here. And you're right, I am desperate. But I reminded you of your fun in the past for a reason: try to remember the fun of the game and try it from that angle. Many of us sit there with our arms crossed, thinking:" there's nothing more to this game" And the others sit there thinking "please let there be an update". Games were invented for 2 reasons: 1 to make profit, 2 to have fun. And I know KI is playing just on the first one, but really, don't tell me that you've given up hope after 4 years. Why are you having this argument with me? Why haven't you left? Give me reason for that and I'll stop defending KI.
I will be here on these boards and this game up till June 1st.. I'm waiting to see if KI will hint at an update. If there's no hint or update by that deadline, then I'll be gone. I've given enough money and time to this game; too much so to be treated as a "lesser" customer. Yes, this game is fun, yes, it's entirely superior to W101 ( imo ), but just because it was fun in the past is no reason to stick around twiddling our thumbs and begging KI to give us what we pay them for.

I really don't understand your view point that KI could be ( or even deserves ) to be defended in this situation

Ensign
Mar 03, 2020
38
Amazingshot123 on Mar 20, 2020 wrote:
Ok, why are you still here? This completely proves the point I am making: if you had all lost hope, we wouldn't be having this argument because you wouldn't be here. And you're right, I am desperate. But I reminded you of your fun in the past for a reason: try to remember the fun of the game and try it from that angle. Many of us sit there with our arms crossed, thinking:" there's nothing more to this game" And the others sit there thinking "please let there be an update". Games were invented for 2 reasons: 1 to make profit, 2 to have fun. And I know KI is playing just on the first one, but really, don't tell me that you've given up hope after 4 years. Why are you having this argument with me? Why haven't you left? Give me reason for that and I'll stop defending KI.
nostalgia

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1195
Amazingshot123 on Mar 20, 2020 wrote:
Ok, why are you still here? This completely proves the point I am making: if you had all lost hope, we wouldn't be having this argument because you wouldn't be here. And you're right, I am desperate. But I reminded you of your fun in the past for a reason: try to remember the fun of the game and try it from that angle. Many of us sit there with our arms crossed, thinking:" there's nothing more to this game" And the others sit there thinking "please let there be an update". Games were invented for 2 reasons: 1 to make profit, 2 to have fun. And I know KI is playing just on the first one, but really, don't tell me that you've given up hope after 4 years. Why are you having this argument with me? Why haven't you left? Give me reason for that and I'll stop defending KI.
After 4 years? I've been here since before the beginning, and except for that first flush of youth when we were treated as equals we've always been less-than in KI's eyes. At this point, I think I'm here from force of habit.

Petty Officer
Nov 23, 2019
91
anecorbie on Mar 20, 2020 wrote:
I will be here on these boards and this game up till June 1st.. I'm waiting to see if KI will hint at an update. If there's no hint or update by that deadline, then I'll be gone. I've given enough money and time to this game; too much so to be treated as a "lesser" customer. Yes, this game is fun, yes, it's entirely superior to W101 ( imo ), but just because it was fun in the past is no reason to stick around twiddling our thumbs and begging KI to give us what we pay them for.

I really don't understand your view point that KI could be ( or even deserves ) to be defended in this situation
Fine: I won't defend them but I also won't go against them. Until June the first I will bear silent witness. In the mean time while we're waiting... pvp anyone?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10115
Willowydream on Mar 20, 2020 wrote:
Why are you still here?

To be the thorn in the paw, the squeaky wheel, the voice in the wilderness. If we didn't care so much, anecorbie and I would have simply faded away like everyone else has over the years. Even we have our limits, though.

I cannot defend Kingsisle any longer, not after the admission that there will be no new Books forthcoming. So I let my subscriptions lapse. I do still buy the occasional gift card or Crowns, and I do still play, and so I will continue to remind everyone that we are still playing.

If Kingsisle actually gave us some hint that there will be ANYTHING new, EVER, it would breathe life into these boards, fan sites, social media, and maybe even into the game itself.

That's a good reason too.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
10115
Amazingshot123 on Mar 20, 2020 wrote:
Ok, why are you still here? This completely proves the point I am making: if you had all lost hope, we wouldn't be having this argument because you wouldn't be here. And you're right, I am desperate. But I reminded you of your fun in the past for a reason: try to remember the fun of the game and try it from that angle. Many of us sit there with our arms crossed, thinking:" there's nothing more to this game" And the others sit there thinking "please let there be an update". Games were invented for 2 reasons: 1 to make profit, 2 to have fun. And I know KI is playing just on the first one, but really, don't tell me that you've given up hope after 4 years. Why are you having this argument with me? Why haven't you left? Give me reason for that and I'll stop defending KI.
Amazingshot123, if a business is being paid to provide a service ( no matter how good that service was in the past ) and is no longer providing that service, then the customers have 2 options - complain in the hope that service will be improved or walk away.
Sticking around saying " I realize you value those other customers more, but please take my money and give me something" will not change a pattern of lousy service ( 4 years of it. )

Lieutenant
Nov 05, 2011
137
anecorbie on Mar 20, 2020 wrote:
I will be here on these boards and this game up till June 1st.. I'm waiting to see if KI will hint at an update. If there's no hint or update by that deadline, then I'll be gone. I've given enough money and time to this game; too much so to be treated as a "lesser" customer. Yes, this game is fun, yes, it's entirely superior to W101 ( imo ), but just because it was fun in the past is no reason to stick around twiddling our thumbs and begging KI to give us what we pay them for.

I really don't understand your view point that KI could be ( or even deserves ) to be defended in this situation
I will miss your presence and voice in the message boards Anecorbie.

Do you lurk anywhere else?