Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

I just can't do it. *hangs up my pirate hat*

AuthorMessage
Lieutenant
Sep 29, 2010
I can't do it KI. I can't play this game. Its fun but way too hard for me. Every time I ask for help from one of my so-called friends they just delete me. Maybe once I get a job and can upgrade my equipment with crowns I'll come back, but for now I'm hanging up my hat and daggers. As I say, "I never play a game I know I can't win."

KI, please don't get discouraged though. Its not you who has failed, it is me who has failed for thinking I could play a game as hard and challenging as this. I'll come back one day, I promise, but it may not be for awhile.

~Bloody Wolf Freeman~

Bosun
Sep 08, 2008
What level are you? I am curious.

This game seems hard, I know. It is so frustrating when you get stonewalled by something really challenging.

I have a level 12 swashbuckler now, and aside from a companion near the back of my ranks, nothing I have equipped at the moment was with crowns. Except the Eye patch, but items VERY similiar with only a stat point of difference are being sold in vendors.

Tip 1: The most important thing you can do is position your units 'well.' Never let the enemy surround you, or get the first hit, unless you just can't help it. Position yourself and your companions so enemies will walk into you, to where you can rush and surround units and knock them out.

Tip 2: Focus fire on a single unit at a time. Don't spread around your damage so the enemy stays alive and kickin' for a long time.

Tip 3: Avoid the enemy's epics, play smart. If they have Cheap shot, Repel boarders, etc, don't move around the board needlessly, stay and finish the job. If you have a ranged unit in your line up, make sure to have it attack enemies with 'Vengeance strike', 'Riposte', 'Relentless', and 'First strike.' Those epics won't affect ranged units at all that shoot from a distance.

Administrator
CaptainAureus on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:
I can't do it KI. I can't play this game. Its fun but way too hard for me. Every time I ask for help from one of my so-called friends they just delete me. Maybe once I get a job and can upgrade my equipment with crowns I'll come back, but for now I'm hanging up my hat and daggers. As I say, "I never play a game I know I can't win."

KI, please don't get discouraged though. Its not you who has failed, it is me who has failed for thinking I could play a game as hard and challenging as this. I'll come back one day, I promise, but it may not be for awhile.

~Bloody Wolf Freeman~
Don't give up, achilles398! I'm sure there's a lot of people willing to help you out in the Pirate101 Community!

Also, I noticed you said you were hanging up your hat and daggers, have you tried picking up your hoodoo staff and giving it a go with another character class?

*One-Eyed Jack, Your Pirate101 Community Manager*
Ensign
May 25, 2009
Please don't give up! It's way to early. First pirate I had was a Swashbuckler at the very beginning of closed Beta. Also you need to keep asking. There are lots of great pirates that will help. Right now I am working with Esmee, my witch doctor. I'm totally addicted so I'm on a lot. Leave me a message telling where and when to meet you. I will gladly help you out. Or if you see me ask me then.

Ensign
Oct 10, 2010
Hang in there, and also group with 1 or 2 others. Makes it alot more fun, and allows the opportunity for a mixed group, with mixed abilities to take on the challenges. It can make the difference, especially with a difficult boss.

Good Luck!

Preach
*Spiffy Steven, lvl 23*

Lieutenant
Sep 29, 2010
One-Eyed Jack on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:
Don't give up, achilles398! I'm sure there's a lot of people willing to help you out in the Pirate101 Community!

Also, I noticed you said you were hanging up your hat and daggers, have you tried picking up your hoodoo staff and giving it a go with another character class?
Almost all the players I made friends with deleted me the second I asked for help. The only friend who hasn't deleted me is my friend Fearless Wolf but he is very busy and he works on his quests most of the time, which I respect. I just never really have any help anymore and the enemies are really hard now. I'm finally at the part when I fight the first bunch armada troops and they slaughtered me in like 4 rounds.

Ensign
Mar 23, 2009
Grumpy Nathan Taylor here again. I would be happy to be your friend and help you. Right now I have 6 Friends and when one of us has a problem or need help I always show up if I am online. Look me up.

Grumpy Nathan Taylor

Lieutenant
Sep 29, 2010
Shiningfantasia on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:
What level are you? I am curious.

This game seems hard, I know. It is so frustrating when you get stonewalled by something really challenging.

I have a level 12 swashbuckler now, and aside from a companion near the back of my ranks, nothing I have equipped at the moment was with crowns. Except the Eye patch, but items VERY similiar with only a stat point of difference are being sold in vendors.

Tip 1: The most important thing you can do is position your units 'well.' Never let the enemy surround you, or get the first hit, unless you just can't help it. Position yourself and your companions so enemies will walk into you, to where you can rush and surround units and knock them out.

Tip 2: Focus fire on a single unit at a time. Don't spread around your damage so the enemy stays alive and kickin' for a long time.

Tip 3: Avoid the enemy's epics, play smart. If they have Cheap shot, Repel boarders, etc, don't move around the board needlessly, stay and finish the job. If you have a ranged unit in your line up, make sure to have it attack enemies with 'Vengeance strike', 'Riposte', 'Relentless', and 'First strike.' Those epics won't affect ranged units at all that shoot from a distance.
I never actually noticed that it said what special moves enemies had until just last night. I'll keep this advice in mind.

Ensign
Dec 30, 2011
achilles, please don't give up! Maybe try a different school? Try Witchdoctor, it might go easier for you.

If you want, when KI and I figure out what is going on with the game for me, I will be happy to help you. Heck, I'll just be happy as a clam to play, so don't give up! Let them figure out what the issue is and I'll come help you!

Ensign
Oct 08, 2012
achilles398, Don't give in just yet, I've made it to level 50 on a Privateer in both character level and Nautical, and some of the things that I have figured out are as followed.

1. Crown Shop items are good but not needed they are extra fluff to the game to make you feel different.

2. If the enemies you are fighting seem to tough you may have skipped some side quests, Don't ever forget to do the side quests they may seem long sometimes and not worth the experience, but they also start different chains and you may find your self with a new companion that is awesome.

3. Fights take a long time in this game, and your friends may be busy doing their own battles, if no one comes its o.k because you can finish a fight on your own. just remember to upgrade your companions try to have at least three to four companions one level below your even two, You could sit there on your character doing nothing and just let your companions beat up on the things your trying to knock out and win if you have good leveled companions.

4. Your going to get knocked out, It happens no mater what class you play, Somethings you can do to help keep this from happening is when you find your self struggling on a creature type battle them for a while get to know there combat style, then counter it.

Remember, achilles398 A musician did not become a musician in one day. It is the same with being a pirate you can't just put on a cool looking hat and say aaarg give me your gold. Practice, Practice, Practice and you to will WIN. Don't try to rush this game I don't think it was designed that way, just take it slow and enjoy the combat and the friends that do come to help :D

P.S One good advice rule is to only ask your friend once, more than that and you may find people won't come to help. Asking for help is good, begging for help may only find your self no longer on a friends list.

Community Leader
Here are a couple more tips that might help:

* Train your Companions. The better they are, the better they can work for you. Every time you gain a level you'll get a few Training Points for them as well.

* When a new Companion joins your crew, check to see if they have any New Talents they can learn to boost their stats and train those too.

* Most Epic Talents (Repel Boarders, First Strike, etc) are triggered by an attacker of the same type, so try to use Ranged attacks like wands or sparkshooters against enemies with Melee weapons (swords & other blades) and vice versa.

* Pay attention to the battle goal. If the goal says "Defeat Fin", for instance, focus all your attacks on Fin Dorsal - the fight ends as soon as he's down. Don't bother attacking his henchmen unless they're in the way of getting to Fin. If the goal is "Use Statues", ignore the enemies and get to and interact with the statues as quickly as possible. In both these cases, wasting time killing enemies often just makes more enemies join the fight!

Chatroom Moderator - Pieces of Eight Radio
Ensign
Jan 11, 2012
Hey!, i know you. You where talking about this.

Don't ever give up wolf, if its a challenge...Strive to OVERCOME it :)

-(proud to say i did help you though xD)-

-Your friend fearless wolf radcliffe (lvl 27 swashbuckler)

Community Leader
I have found that, in an MMO, if I ever come up against a brick wall, progression-wise, it's because the game is poorly designed (not the case for Pirate ) or it's because I have overlooked some small detail like updating my gear or getting better equipment for my ship in this case. Or maybe I hadn't upgraded my companions or gotten all the available skills. I would urge you to take a look at all the factors and try clicking on tabs you haven't looked at before. It may be you just have a mental block against the strategy combat in this game. I'm that way with card battle games

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Jun 09, 2010

yes i think its alot better with hoodoo i have tried other classes and its hard so dont give mate go do some tubthumbing

Petty Officer
Nov 05, 2009
Its your choice if you quit or not but yoiu can just change your class to see if a differnt one suits your battle style more. For some people they are good at standing at the back using traps and muskets , others are good with powerful attacks and powerful defence and some people can do it all! Also the class you are now could suit your battle style you just have to get a few more powers and maybe even a good secondary class. For me i am allways changing my stratergy i am a level 23 swashbuckler my stratergy is using walk of darkness on the first turn, then poisoning everyone with assasins mists and finally using backstab to finish off my advantege in the walk of darkness. Hope this helps.

Dashing Roberto Sharp Level 23 Swashbuckler.

Ensign
Oct 24, 2010
CaptainAureus on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:

~Bloody Wolf Freeman~
If you wanted help why didn't you just ask us here on the forum!! I'd be more then happy to lend you my crew's sword!!! That is if you're willing to give it another go.

Lieutenant
Sep 29, 2010
allanontheseer on Oct 23, 2012 wrote:
Hey!, i know you. You where talking about this.

Don't ever give up wolf, if its a challenge...Strive to OVERCOME it :)

-(proud to say i did help you though xD)-

-Your friend fearless wolf radcliffe (lvl 27 swashbuckler)
I know and I thank you so much for never deleting me just for asking for help and for staying by my side even though I have very little faith in myself.

Lieutenant
Sep 29, 2010

The thing is my mother hates magic because she thinks its evil and said if I ever made a witchdocter character she would delete my membership and then my Pirate101 account. I'd love to try hoodoo but with my mom threatening to turn off my game its not worth it.

Lieutenant
Sep 29, 2010
Noble Wolf on Oct 24, 2012 wrote:
If you wanted help why didn't you just ask us here on the forum!! I'd be more then happy to lend you my crew's sword!!! That is if you're willing to give it another go.
The thing is if I post a true friend code on the forums I'd having hundreds of people trying to use it to become my friend and since posts are only posted 10-12 hours after the author has written it there is no way to give an exact time to meet somewhere. I wish KI would make a "Private message" thing for the forms in case you want to send a friend code to someone specifc.

Ensign
Mar 23, 2009
Just remember you are not alone. If you see Grumpy Nathan Taylor in game yell at me to stop and send me a friend request. :)

Ensign
Oct 27, 2009
@the op
Maybe just take a break from pirates and come back later? Most of the people who write guides for fan sites and help groups haven't reached a high enough level to really start helping. Wait a month the check out the fan sites for tips and help .

Community Leader
CaptainAureus on Oct 25, 2012 wrote:
The thing is my mother hates magic because she thinks its evil and said if I ever made a witchdocter character she would delete my membership and then my Pirate101 account. I'd love to try hoodoo but with my mom threatening to turn off my game its not worth it.
Yikes! Hopefully that doesn't extend to the "magic" shooty weapons!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Ensign
Oct 09, 2011
There a few spots where you can farm gold at low level. Fin Dorsal battle in the whale city (forget the name) is very fast (you just drop Fin) and I believe it gave me 150-200 gold per run and those runs are very fast. So around those levels that was the easiest gold for me thus making it much easier to level all my companions.

Crown gold makes life easy as well but this is common knowledge.

Ensign
Jun 13, 2009
hey don't be down dude, you just need to keep on asking, like I need some help with the erebus quest, but I need help since I haven't been asking people aren't help so yeah don't be down lol, see you in the spiral!

Ensign
Jun 16, 2009
Dont give up on yourself. Believe in hope.

"Bangarang"~Wolf Level 14