How to make farming more fun?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 01, 2010
6
So I've recently been farming Underdog for the shoes of Houdini and I find myself dreadfully trudging through fight after fight with no results bored out of my mind so I come to the message boards to ask: How do you make farming more fun?

Commodore
May 31, 2009
797
Bring some friends and start a random conversation. That always works for me! You'll find yourself forgetting to battle, and it will be over before you know it. Tell jokes, be funny, talk about something other than the fight you're doing. It makes it much more interesting and fun.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
152
I always like to multitask while farming. While I wait for a round to be over, I would: read a book, watch tv, watch a movie, draw, etc. Sure that may not make farming fun, but if you're really interested in what else you were doing, it would be a nice way to pass time and still enjoy yourself.

Commodore
May 30, 2010
851
435Snow Owl on Aug 7, 2014 wrote:
I always like to multitask while farming. While I wait for a round to be over, I would: read a book, watch tv, watch a movie, draw, etc. Sure that may not make farming fun, but if you're really interested in what else you were doing, it would be a nice way to pass time and still enjoy yourself.
Just don't get so lost in the second task you forget to watch your pirate and crew!

Maybe try mixing up the crew members that you take in with you? Switch weapons to try out a new combo?

Ensign
May 27, 2012
28
MistyDragon13 on Aug 7, 2014 wrote:
Bring some friends and start a random conversation. That always works for me! You'll find yourself forgetting to battle, and it will be over before you know it. Tell jokes, be funny, talk about something other than the fight you're doing. It makes it much more interesting and fun.
I agree with Misty here, sometimes I am in fits of hysterical laughter because the friends I'm farming with are so funny Don't forget also, rewards are so much better when farming with friends and if you're lucky, you may even get a doubloon chest for an added bonus

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Aug 7, 2014 wrote:
Just don't get so lost in the second task you forget to watch your pirate and crew!

Maybe try mixing up the crew members that you take in with you? Switch weapons to try out a new combo?
Good points. What a great way to test out new strategies and to get to know other crew members that you may be using as the more seasoned warriors get wounded.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1144
The last time one of my pirates was beating up on Gortez the 25 times required to be able to hire Goronado, I made a rule that I could not re-use a crew member until all other crew members had been used. So I cycled through everybody two to three times. But it made it more fun seeing lots of crew who normally don't have a chance to run out there beating up on the crazy monkeys.

-Indigo

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Indigo Ring on Aug 8, 2014 wrote:
The last time one of my pirates was beating up on Gortez the 25 times required to be able to hire Goronado, I made a rule that I could not re-use a crew member until all other crew members had been used. So I cycled through everybody two to three times. But it made it more fun seeing lots of crew who normally don't have a chance to run out there beating up on the crazy monkeys.

-Indigo
What a BRILLIANT idea. I am gonna have to try that one

Commodore
May 31, 2009
797
Indigo Ring on Aug 8, 2014 wrote:
The last time one of my pirates was beating up on Gortez the 25 times required to be able to hire Goronado, I made a rule that I could not re-use a crew member until all other crew members had been used. So I cycled through everybody two to three times. But it made it more fun seeing lots of crew who normally don't have a chance to run out there beating up on the crazy monkeys.

-Indigo
I like that idea! Last time I switched out my main three was when I was farming Ratbeard's secret boss. They were too powerful, and kept ending the fight early with epic triggers and critical attacks. It was nice to see and hear my old companions again, especially after I hadn't used them in ages.

Admiral
Jul 27, 2012
1189
It kind of depends on the fight for strategies to make a repeating fight fun. For some, like Friar Sand, as Indigo suggests, I use different companions so the battle is different every time. For a particularly challenging boss (like the hydra), I enjoy selecting different sets of companions to try out different strategies. And for a few bosses, I particularly enjoy a particular team (or two or three). As an example of the latter, I have a great deal of fun with my witchdoctor selecting Carcarius, Mormo, and a musketeer (usually Bonnie Anne or Gang Dai, my samoorai musketeer) and seeing how fast I can win (e.g. can I win within the space of short, but powerful buff?) Happily too, Zeena is very gracious in defeat, generally providing the winner with good prizes...

Lieutenant
Nov 01, 2012
163
MistyDragon13 on Aug 9, 2014 wrote:
I like that idea! Last time I switched out my main three was when I was farming Ratbeard's secret boss. They were too powerful, and kept ending the fight early with epic triggers and critical attacks. It was nice to see and hear my old companions again, especially after I hadn't used them in ages.
There is a secret boss? Where?