Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

How To Combat Future DDOS Attacks

AuthorMessage
Captain
Jun 10, 2013
I got to wondering, since the DDOS attacks earlier this year what has been done to step up security for Pirate 101 and Wizard 101? I hate to think a random person out there has the power to restrict access to both games and once for 12 hours straight. I know Ki made up for the latest DDOS attacks best they could, but what is stop this from happening again in a few days, months, or years. Would Ki please be nice enough to tell us how they plan on combating future DDOS attacks? I got to thinking, it might be a good idea for Ki to do a mock DDOS attack. I know that sounds crazy but why do tornado sirens get tested once every 2 weeks or once a month, to ensure they are working if a tornado touches down. I think Ki might should pick a time like 3 AM Central and do a mock DDOS attack where they attempt to flood the servers of their on games Pirate 101 and Wizard 101. While they attempt to flood their own servers have another team try to restore access while the server flooding continues. Regardless of the outcome the mock DDOS attack should last no more than 3 hours and should be announced ahead of when it takes place. Another idea would be if a real DDOS attack happens again in the future to use Ki's Twitch channel to provide live updates off and on during the DDOS attack until it is under control.

Anyone have comments on these ideas?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Nov 12, 2017 wrote:
I got to wondering, since the DDOS attacks earlier this year what has been done to step up security for Pirate 101 and Wizard 101? I hate to think a random person out there has the power to restrict access to both games and once for 12 hours straight. I know Ki made up for the latest DDOS attacks best they could, but what is stop this from happening again in a few days, months, or years. Would Ki please be nice enough to tell us how they plan on combating future DDOS attacks? I got to thinking, it might be a good idea for Ki to do a mock DDOS attack. I know that sounds crazy but why do tornado sirens get tested once every 2 weeks or once a month, to ensure they are working if a tornado touches down. I think Ki might should pick a time like 3 AM Central and do a mock DDOS attack where they attempt to flood the servers of their on games Pirate 101 and Wizard 101. While they attempt to flood their own servers have another team try to restore access while the server flooding continues. Regardless of the outcome the mock DDOS attack should last no more than 3 hours and should be announced ahead of when it takes place. Another idea would be if a real DDOS attack happens again in the future to use Ki's Twitch channel to provide live updates off and on during the DDOS attack until it is under control.

If they tell us what kind of security measures they've taken, then isn't that giving a clue on how to beat their system?
I'm sure they now have whatever they need to prevent such an attack, and the fact that KI was on the job and able to stop the attacks in less than 24 hrs. is a good sign of how good their security team is.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
RRRRZZZZ419 on Nov 12, 2017 wrote:

That's a really good idea. Instead of "Tornado Alarms/Tornado Sirens", how about in Pirate101 it's "DDOS Alarms/DDOS Sirens"?

Captain
Jun 10, 2013
anecorbie on Nov 12, 2017 wrote:
If they tell us what kind of security measures they've taken, then isn't that giving a clue on how to beat their system?
I'm sure they now have whatever they need to prevent such an attack, and the fact that KI was on the job and able to stop the attacks in less than 24 hrs. is a good sign of how good their security team is.
Good point, but Ki wouldn't have to go into detail about what new measures they have taken. They could say they have subscribed to a security program, give its name, but not tell what the password is.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
RRRRZZZZ419 on Nov 13, 2017 wrote:
Good point, but Ki wouldn't have to go into detail about what new measures they have taken. They could say they have subscribed to a security program, give its name, but not tell what the password is.
Even giving the name of the system they're using would be enough for some fiendishly clever hackers. I think that we should just let KI get on with their business. I'm sure they have plugged any holes in their security by now.

Community Leader
I doubt that these were any kind of basic DDOS attacks.
I am pretty sure they incorporate a number of various precautions, both software and hardware based.

To spell out their strategy would certainly make it easier for the Armada's evil minions to wreak havoc on our beloved games.

Most incidents that end up creating a large disruption are most likely due to activity via systems they had not anticipated, or by means otherwise not anticipated.

Its hard to "test" what you cannot anticipate.

Patch it all, hire security experts (Hackers for good, not evil, lol), and watch for any unanticipated activity to squelch any issue as quickly as possible.

Aye, haven't been here in awhile matey's. Hope all is well!

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
Dr Zeppers on Nov 14, 2017 wrote:
I doubt that these were any kind of basic DDOS attacks.
I am pretty sure they incorporate a number of various precautions, both software and hardware based.

To spell out their strategy would certainly make it easier for the Armada's evil minions to wreak havoc on our beloved games.

Most incidents that end up creating a large disruption are most likely due to activity via systems they had not anticipated, or by means otherwise not anticipated.

Its hard to "test" what you cannot anticipate.

Patch it all, hire security experts (Hackers for good, not evil, lol), and watch for any unanticipated activity to squelch any issue as quickly as possible.

Aye, haven't been here in awhile matey's. Hope all is well!
Good to see you active again good Dr. I had been wondering how you were doing. Welcome back to the Marauding side of the Spiral.