How much do Wizards know?

1
AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jan 07, 2013
23
Okay, so we know that Wizards are reclusive and we, as Pirates, know little about them. However, do Wizards know anything about life outside the looming towers? At times, we could very well be fighting very close to each other without realizing it. For example, at Marleybone Ratbeard mentions that at least we aren't fighting on the rooftops (the main areas of Marleybone in W101). Big Wizards, like Ambrose and even Morganthe, have to know about Pirates right? It makes sense that villains like Morganthe would've known as she scouted various worlds to conquer. Or even Diego might know something seeing as how he probably comes from Valencia. Any thoughts? I love the official cross-overs KI has made. Makes me glad I have a level 95 Ice Wiz and level 68 Bucc

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
7748
Morganthe would have dismissed us from her concerns, because 1. we're not powerful enough to be a threat, 2. flip side; we're not powerful enough to be an asset.
Ambrose is more concerned with arcane threats to the Spiral.
The piratical presence in Valencia is only now being experienced by Valencia. Diego must have left home before the Napoleguinic War and the rise of Kane.
The best bet for a crossover seems to be Meowiarty, both Wizard101 and Pirate101 have this very interesting villain ( and he's a wizard )
We meet Cagliostro in Valencia and he certainly looks the part of a "renegade wizard". We may meet him again.
I do wonder though, how much Bartleby knows of what is going on in the Spiral. Maybe many Spiral Doors have been lost or yet to be discovered.

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
113
Shadow of the Past on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
Okay, so we know that Wizards are reclusive and we, as Pirates, know little about them. However, do Wizards know anything about life outside the looming towers? At times, we could very well be fighting very close to each other without realizing it. For example, at Marleybone Ratbeard mentions that at least we aren't fighting on the rooftops (the main areas of Marleybone in W101). Big Wizards, like Ambrose and even Morganthe, have to know about Pirates right? It makes sense that villains like Morganthe would've known as she scouted various worlds to conquer. Or even Diego might know something seeing as how he probably comes from Valencia. Any thoughts? I love the official cross-overs KI has made. Makes me glad I have a level 95 Ice Wiz and level 68 Bucc
The biggest cross over is in the 4th box in the 5 boxes event where the wizard rescues the pirate

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
395
Don't forget the Librarian! We meet him in Cool Ranch.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2016
44
I remember a not so long time ago when I had another account and some people mentioned a treaty with Wizard City and Skull Island.

However, Manny's quest line in blood shoals implies that the Pirate story takes place after Azteca got nuked by Morganthe, and probably after she died. Also, the nautical gauntlet has smuggled Wizard City items you can get.

So, if there's another wizard101-pirate101 crossover (The five Boxes event in Wizard101 had you fighting armada troops and cutthroats - who, for no reason, used MAGIC), it'll probably be our Wizards fighting the Smuggling pirates and our heroes mocking the wizards, saying things like "where were ye when Kane tried to destroy the spiral?!" *chuckles*

Wizards probably know a bit about skull island, because with a tree teleporting station it's not that hard to go from place to place - the question is, more accurately, "How much do Wizard's care?"

Off topic, but how is Wizard not a name for Wizards in Wizard? Haven't ye been to nameberry?
Sincerly,

a man who has promised never again to say "Wizard for Wizards in Wizard"

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
7748
noahdd on Jul 3, 2016 wrote:
Don't forget the Librarian! We meet him in Cool Ranch.
Harold Argelston is the librarian in Wizard City, we meet his brother, Desmond, in Cool Ranch.

Gunner's Mate
Dec 28, 2012
207
1. Azteca hasn't been destoyed by Morganthe yet, the Aztecasaurs are just fleeing because of rumors.

2. That was someone related to the librarian, not THE librarian

3. Our pirate is in Mooshu while our wizard is in Marleybone, as stated by Blind Mew, meaning when our pirate is finishing Valencia, our wizard has probably just killed Malistaire.

Commodore
May 31, 2009
840
the Fearless Devil on Jul 3, 2016 wrote:
I remember a not so long time ago when I had another account and some people mentioned a treaty with Wizard City and Skull Island.

However, Manny's quest line in blood shoals implies that the Pirate story takes place after Azteca got nuked by Morganthe, and probably after she died. Also, the nautical gauntlet has smuggled Wizard City items you can get.

So, if there's another wizard101-pirate101 crossover (The five Boxes event in Wizard101 had you fighting armada troops and cutthroats - who, for no reason, used MAGIC), it'll probably be our Wizards fighting the Smuggling pirates and our heroes mocking the wizards, saying things like "where were ye when Kane tried to destroy the spiral?!" *chuckles*

Wizards probably know a bit about skull island, because with a tree teleporting station it's not that hard to go from place to place - the question is, more accurately, "How much do Wizard's care?"

Off topic, but how is Wizard not a name for Wizards in Wizard? Haven't ye been to nameberry?
Sincerly,

a man who has promised never again to say "Wizard for Wizards in Wizard"
"Manny's quest line in blood shoals implies that the Pirate story takes place after Azteca got nuked by Morganthe"

It actually doesn't. Blind Mew confirmed it.

As for the topic of the whole thread, I'd say that regular Wizards don't know a lot about Pirates aside from rumors or speculation, or perhaps infrequent crossings of paths, but some of the higher-ups like Ambrose or whoever runs the Arcanum know more. I'd guess that there are forgotten or lost Spiral Doors into the Pirate-frequented areas of the Spiral like Skull Island. It'd make sense that Celestia and Skull Island are close to each other or exist on the same planetoid considering they appear much the same.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2016
44
MistyDragon13 on Jul 5, 2016 wrote:
"Manny's quest line in blood shoals implies that the Pirate story takes place after Azteca got nuked by Morganthe"

It actually doesn't. Blind Mew confirmed it.

As for the topic of the whole thread, I'd say that regular Wizards don't know a lot about Pirates aside from rumors or speculation, or perhaps infrequent crossings of paths, but some of the higher-ups like Ambrose or whoever runs the Arcanum know more. I'd guess that there are forgotten or lost Spiral Doors into the Pirate-frequented areas of the Spiral like Skull Island. It'd make sense that Celestia and Skull Island are close to each other or exist on the same planetoid considering they appear much the same.
So, Mew says that there were rumors of Morganthe from Azteca? OK...good thing I said "Implied".

Your theory is...interesting. I wonder if any wizards were robbed or held for random by pirates. Also, if one is going on, why doesn't Ambrose send our Wizard to stop the smuggling ring at Nautical Gauntlet?

And why doesn't any wizard know about El Dorado? You think El Dorado would be a place Ambrose and pals would want nobody to go to, ever. A wizard could've found a piece of the map.

Then again, maybe our Wizards can't handle the amazing graphics of Pirate101. It'll leave them blinded by how good it is.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
7748
the Fearless Devil on Jul 7, 2016 wrote:
So, Mew says that there were rumors of Morganthe from Azteca? OK...good thing I said "Implied".

Your theory is...interesting. I wonder if any wizards were robbed or held for random by pirates. Also, if one is going on, why doesn't Ambrose send our Wizard to stop the smuggling ring at Nautical Gauntlet?

And why doesn't any wizard know about El Dorado? You think El Dorado would be a place Ambrose and pals would want nobody to go to, ever. A wizard could've found a piece of the map.

Then again, maybe our Wizards can't handle the amazing graphics of Pirate101. It'll leave them blinded by how good it is.
I don't think Ambrose and his wizards are concerned by ordinary crimes - their focus is arcane threats to the universe.
Why send a super hero to stop a car thief? Just send in the police.
Is El Dorado a secret? Seems as if every pirate knows about it - are wizards interested in stealing ancient treasure? They don't seem the type. Now, if the treasure included lost magic spells and wands of fantastic power....

Lieutenant
Mar 28, 2010
113
the Fearless Devil on Jul 7, 2016 wrote:
So, Mew says that there were rumors of Morganthe from Azteca? OK...good thing I said "Implied".

Your theory is...interesting. I wonder if any wizards were robbed or held for random by pirates. Also, if one is going on, why doesn't Ambrose send our Wizard to stop the smuggling ring at Nautical Gauntlet?

And why doesn't any wizard know about El Dorado? You think El Dorado would be a place Ambrose and pals would want nobody to go to, ever. A wizard could've found a piece of the map.

Then again, maybe our Wizards can't handle the amazing graphics of Pirate101. It'll leave them blinded by how good it is.
Maybe the Wizards can't handle the pvp either

Too much skill required

Petty Officer
May 17, 2011
89
anecorbie on Jul 2, 2016 wrote:
Morganthe would have dismissed us from her concerns, because 1. we're not powerful enough to be a threat, 2. flip side; we're not powerful enough to be an asset.
Ambrose is more concerned with arcane threats to the Spiral.
The piratical presence in Valencia is only now being experienced by Valencia. Diego must have left home before the Napoleguinic War and the rise of Kane.
The best bet for a crossover seems to be Meowiarty, both Wizard101 and Pirate101 have this very interesting villain ( and he's a wizard )
We meet Cagliostro in Valencia and he certainly looks the part of a "renegade wizard". We may meet him again.
I do wonder though, how much Bartleby knows of what is going on in the Spiral. Maybe many Spiral Doors have been lost or yet to be discovered.
About the Morganthe bit, sure, maybe she doesn't think that we can interfere with great success, but what about Kane and the rest of the Armada? the closest we have seen to clockworks is the clockwork golems, and those are definitely not Armada soldiers. Maybe Kane thinks that the wizards can't do much about his plans either? And, before you start complaining that the wizards are too powerful to be dismissed as a very minor threat, it's possible that, since Kane's forces are, of course, a sort of robot, they are resistant to normal magic, which is why Hoodoo can hurt them, since it is definitely NOT normal magic. That would also explain why the Armada decided that Hoodoo is a punishable offense (since it is one of the ways you can choose for how you got thrown in prison by the Armada, which means it is, in fact, a crime). They fear that Witchdocters will fight against them and get in his way (which they do, if you are a Witchdocter).

Petty Officer
May 17, 2011
89
the Fearless Devil on Jul 7, 2016 wrote:
So, Mew says that there were rumors of Morganthe from Azteca? OK...good thing I said "Implied".

Your theory is...interesting. I wonder if any wizards were robbed or held for random by pirates. Also, if one is going on, why doesn't Ambrose send our Wizard to stop the smuggling ring at Nautical Gauntlet?

And why doesn't any wizard know about El Dorado? You think El Dorado would be a place Ambrose and pals would want nobody to go to, ever. A wizard could've found a piece of the map.

Then again, maybe our Wizards can't handle the amazing graphics of Pirate101. It'll leave them blinded by how good it is.
"Then again, maybe our Wizards can't handle the amazing graphics of Pirate101. It'll leave them blinded by how good it is."

Thanks for that, I couldn't stop laughing for at least 5 minutes after I read this.

About the thing with Ambrose not wanting pirates to go to El Dorado, remember back towards the days before pirate101 came out when they were teasing it with notes from people in the spiral? There was one in particular that shows the Ambrose either doesn't care or wants El Dorado to be found. I am referring to the one written by Marco Pollo himself, which is on this website, probably in the "See the Game" section. It clearly states that Merle Ambrose was Marco's close friend, and helped him make the map to El Dorado, by pointing him towards Cao Tzu and the Scroll of Secrets (Gamma also helps with astronomical equations, I think). So, Merle obviously didn't mind people finding the lost city, at least until the letter says that he should never go there cause it is too dangerous. Even then, it says never to talk about it, so maybe he wants to stop people, namely us, but wants to keep him passed friends promise?

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1259
"How much do Wizards know?"

I am guessing not much, as the little blighters pretty much never sit down and study their lessons. They are always running about wildly throwing spells hither and yon, claiming they are "saving the Spiral". They are students - they should be studying. They should leave the adventuring to those who are better qualified (you know, like pirates or something). But no, actually reading a book or doing homework is beneath every one of them,apparently.-Indigo

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
395
TheSpiderBozz on Jul 8, 2016 wrote:
About the Morganthe bit, sure, maybe she doesn't think that we can interfere with great success, but what about Kane and the rest of the Armada? the closest we have seen to clockworks is the clockwork golems, and those are definitely not Armada soldiers. Maybe Kane thinks that the wizards can't do much about his plans either? And, before you start complaining that the wizards are too powerful to be dismissed as a very minor threat, it's possible that, since Kane's forces are, of course, a sort of robot, they are resistant to normal magic, which is why Hoodoo can hurt them, since it is definitely NOT normal magic. That would also explain why the Armada decided that Hoodoo is a punishable offense (since it is one of the ways you can choose for how you got thrown in prison by the Armada, which means it is, in fact, a crime). They fear that Witchdocters will fight against them and get in his way (which they do, if you are a Witchdocter).
About the Golem thing, there is a difference.

Golem are constructs designed for a specific purpose, like Gracie's war golems. Armada, by contrast, are all automata. Golems can be more easily manipulated with magic because usually - usually - they are not given minds that think like a person's. A guard golem's mind is programmed with preventing unauthorized intruders. A regular armada marine, however, can think logically about how to achieve his goals. Automata can be multiple things at once, and can be sleek or bulky depending on what they are designed for. Golems, at least for Kingsisle, normally share a largeness. Magical resistance may just come from the lifelessness of being totally machine. Hoodoo just targets anything, it seems, while certain W101 spells seem only able to affect things with at least minimal life in them. Don't forget that Golems have a little life in them so that they can function. Darn I ran long. Thanks for reading.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
7748
TheSpiderBozz on Jul 8, 2016 wrote:
About the Morganthe bit, sure, maybe she doesn't think that we can interfere with great success, but what about Kane and the rest of the Armada? the closest we have seen to clockworks is the clockwork golems, and those are definitely not Armada soldiers. Maybe Kane thinks that the wizards can't do much about his plans either? And, before you start complaining that the wizards are too powerful to be dismissed as a very minor threat, it's possible that, since Kane's forces are, of course, a sort of robot, they are resistant to normal magic, which is why Hoodoo can hurt them, since it is definitely NOT normal magic. That would also explain why the Armada decided that Hoodoo is a punishable offense (since it is one of the ways you can choose for how you got thrown in prison by the Armada, which means it is, in fact, a crime). They fear that Witchdocters will fight against them and get in his way (which they do, if you are a Witchdocter).
Well, I think that is because they fear magic, as they don't seem to have the ability to control it - notice the very violent reactions of Rooke and Kane to any magic lobbed at them. And before you say "What about Bishop or Phule?", please notice that Bishop's magic is technology based and Phule uses a staff just many Privateers in this game use a staff or staffy combo for the will boost.

Ensign
Jun 12, 2016
44
anecorbie on Jul 8, 2016 wrote:
I don't think Ambrose and his wizards are concerned by ordinary crimes - their focus is arcane threats to the universe.
Why send a super hero to stop a car thief? Just send in the police.
Is El Dorado a secret? Seems as if every pirate knows about it - are wizards interested in stealing ancient treasure? They don't seem the type. Now, if the treasure included lost magic spells and wands of fantastic power....
Fair point. Ambrose wouldn't really care much. Maybe some other wizards might care, though. Plus, Kane is probably in a place of being an arcane threat to the spiral - he wants to destroy it, for lords sake!

Also, I once heard someone say that our "super hero" in Wizard101 is, hilariously, a glorified policeman.

Finally, I don't think that El Dorado is much of a secret. Marco Pollo is one of the, if not the most famous pirate in Pirate101, and there probably are greedy wizards out there. I mean, a city of gold! Who wouldn't want that?

Then again, there is a possibility that Wizard city, somehow, doesn't know about Marco Pollo and El Dorado ... but there is probably a Wizard that does know!

Sincerly:

The Fearful Devil.

Petty Officer
May 17, 2011
89
anecorbie on Jul 8, 2016 wrote:
Well, I think that is because they fear magic, as they don't seem to have the ability to control it - notice the very violent reactions of Rooke and Kane to any magic lobbed at them. And before you say "What about Bishop or Phule?", please notice that Bishop's magic is technology based and Phule uses a staff just many Privateers in this game use a staff or staffy combo for the will boost.
First of all, thanks for sharing your opinion. And, while they may fear magic, and the wizards are probably too busy worrying about what Morganthe will do next or how many more times Malistaire is gonna show up again, it definitely is strange that the wizards aren't doing anything about this, and they are aware that there is an Armada, due to the B.O.X.E.S. event. I mean, the Armada is practically building a death star, and the wizards aren't doing anything about it. Connecting to the response from Noahdd, it may be that W101 magic can't hurt what isn't alive, which is far from what the Armada is. Just a guess, but I think that the line "Heartless, soulless, and ruthless" might just maybe mean they aren't alive. It may be that the wizards are not interfering because they are smart enough to know that they can't do anything (except maybe whack them with their magic weapons, but that won't do much, now, will it?). They know they will get defeated, so they might as well interfere with what can be interfered with. Thank you for your time. I did not make this to offend you, Anecorbie, just sharing my thoughts.

Ensign
May 13, 2015
3
noahdd on Jul 3, 2016 wrote:
Don't forget the Librarian! We meet him in Cool Ranch.
I noticed that when I was playing the game and spent at least a whole five minutes making sure I didn't need new glasses.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
7748
TheSpiderBozz on Jul 9, 2016 wrote:
First of all, thanks for sharing your opinion. And, while they may fear magic, and the wizards are probably too busy worrying about what Morganthe will do next or how many more times Malistaire is gonna show up again, it definitely is strange that the wizards aren't doing anything about this, and they are aware that there is an Armada, due to the B.O.X.E.S. event. I mean, the Armada is practically building a death star, and the wizards aren't doing anything about it. Connecting to the response from Noahdd, it may be that W101 magic can't hurt what isn't alive, which is far from what the Armada is. Just a guess, but I think that the line "Heartless, soulless, and ruthless" might just maybe mean they aren't alive. It may be that the wizards are not interfering because they are smart enough to know that they can't do anything (except maybe whack them with their magic weapons, but that won't do much, now, will it?). They know they will get defeated, so they might as well interfere with what can be interfered with. Thank you for your time. I did not make this to offend you, Anecorbie, just sharing my thoughts.
No problems, you have your reasons as I do; and there's no way to tell what the truth is - unless you might like to ask Blind Mew?

Petty Officer
May 17, 2011
89
anecorbie on Jul 10, 2016 wrote:
No problems, you have your reasons as I do; and there's no way to tell what the truth is - unless you might like to ask Blind Mew?
Ooh. I never thought of that! Although, knowing him, he is probably not gonna say anything...

Petty Officer
May 17, 2011
89
Indigo Ring on Jul 8, 2016 wrote:
"How much do Wizards know?"

I am guessing not much, as the little blighters pretty much never sit down and study their lessons. They are always running about wildly throwing spells hither and yon, claiming they are "saving the Spiral". They are students - they should be studying. They should leave the adventuring to those who are better qualified (you know, like pirates or something). But no, actually reading a book or doing homework is beneath every one of them,apparently.-Indigo
So true. The closest we ever have to lessons are the spell quests, which is just more fighting. We never sit down and actually learn what we are supposed too. I guess we don't have to, since the spells come in tiny cards that require no skill to actually use.

Ensign
Jan 07, 2013
23
TheSpiderBozz on Jul 10, 2016 wrote:
So true. The closest we ever have to lessons are the spell quests, which is just more fighting. We never sit down and actually learn what we are supposed too. I guess we don't have to, since the spells come in tiny cards that require no skill to actually use.
First, I'm glad this has sparked a lot of talking! Second, I think our "cards" are merely for gameplay convenience. Witchdoctors and other spellcasters of P101 would cast them much like you would in a real fight (providing of course, magic was real ). I like to think of it as the commercial w/all the classes mentioned; we're all fighting the enemies at once alongside our companions. But for the sake of gameplay and controls, we take turns with the enemy. You may point out W101 combat, but even in commercials with Malistaire they take turns fighting. I don't see why, maybe some sort of Wizard code of Honor...? Pirates go by their own rules and wouldn't smack ya and wait to get smacked back. I rambled, but in short I think our spells actually require skills learned through our character's experiences and combat. Just my thoughts though

Developer
TheSpiderBozz on Jul 10, 2016 wrote:
Ooh. I never thought of that! Although, knowing him, he is probably not gonna say anything...
Oh really?

This is an interesting topic, and one we discussed quite a bit as Pirate was first ramping up: the two worlds, sadly, cannot directly touch (that's a sheer impossibility form a technical standpoint) and we didn't want the story of one to become dependent on the story of another - it would constrain either or both games when coming up with where to go or what to do next. So we've been content to let the stories run in parallel, assuming that the Wizards don't pay much attention to what's going on in the conventional world of maritime geopolitics (spiropolotics?) and, conversely, that the doings of wizards and all their card-based magic was obscured from what pirates were doing.

But we did go out of our way to make sure that our story stuff in Pirate didn't contradict Wizard's timeline. I guess I'm going to have to go back and re-write that Aztecosaur dialogue: they have visions of the doom that Morganth would unleash on Azteca in the future, so they left.

Marleybone and Mooshu is where our stories get closest. I'd love for the Marleybonean/Armada war to have echoes in Marleybone Wizard content, but that's simply time gone by - when Wizard's Marelybone content was written the Armada (and Pirate101 itself) hadn't been conceived of yet. So we put Marleybone City "over there," at the edge of view. Threatened by the war but not yet embroiled in it.

And who says Merle doesn't know about El Dorado? There was a special Ninja Pig giveaway promotion in the pre-launch days that also linked to the text of a letter. The letter was from Marco Pollo to none other than Merle Ambrose, concerning a certain golden city...

Dread Pirate
Jun 13, 2011
1931
anecorbie on Jul 4, 2016 wrote:
Harold Argelston is the librarian in Wizard City, we meet his brother, Desmond, in Cool Ranch.
Let's not forget, there's also another relative of Desmond and Harold... he's Norbert Argleston, spotted in the Lyceum in Nova Aquila. He's there, gazing at some Treasure Cards for Wizards. I saw him time to time, and see that he's got no role in P101 presently. I'm sure KI may take some time to give him a good role in the P101 story.

1