High Lvl's need to be more helpful

AuthorMessage
Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
365
I was on my buccaneer in cool ranch fighting ships for a quest. They were very hard to beat. I usually ended up deep in the yellow health area after a fight. Then, in the middle of a fight I see an Aquila Galleon pass right by me! It got me frustrated that a high level couldn't offer 20 seconds of his\her time to help me sink a ship. This happened a lot over the course of my character's journey. Maybe I'm overreacting but I think that High levels should try to help out a lower level. I mean, whenever I see a ship battle (Whatever level it is.) I help them out. A high level could sink a cutthroat ship in 10 seconds flat. I don't see why they can't be bothered too go out of their way a little bit to be helpful. I think that this should go for everybody. No matter the level. Besides, you can earn a little bit of Nautical experience while your at it.

See you in the Spiral
~Duke of Westminster

Ensign
Oct 10, 2009
48
Duke of Westminste... on Feb 17, 2014 wrote:
I was on my buccaneer in cool ranch fighting ships for a quest. They were very hard to beat. I usually ended up deep in the yellow health area after a fight. Then, in the middle of a fight I see an Aquila Galleon pass right by me! It got me frustrated that a high level couldn't offer 20 seconds of his\her time to help me sink a ship. This happened a lot over the course of my character's journey. Maybe I'm overreacting but I think that High levels should try to help out a lower level. I mean, whenever I see a ship battle (Whatever level it is.) I help them out. A high level could sink a cutthroat ship in 10 seconds flat. I don't see why they can't be bothered too go out of their way a little bit to be helpful. I think that this should go for everybody. No matter the level. Besides, you can earn a little bit of Nautical experience while your at it.

See you in the Spiral
~Duke of Westminster
That really stinks. I remember having to sink loads of ships back in Cool Ranch, and it wasn't fun. Where I agree that usually one should help sink ships (and I always do), one should also realize that these pirates have their own agendas. Perhaps they were doing a quest. If I'm doing a cool quest, usually I can't be bothered. Also, it seems like you have awful lucks when it comes to meeting high level pirates. My 65 swashbuckler, currently waiting for the new content, has nothing to do other than farm or help people, and killing Friar Sand for the nth time can get very tedious. I know that if I could, I'd be helping my Witchdoctor in Santa Rana right now. I guess the moral of this story is 'cut people some slack, but really, they could do better.'

Ensign
Dec 10, 2013
7
I normally don't need help from higher level but wen I was fighting gortez and I asked a 65 if he could help me out and he said if I could beat him in a pvp match I mean that's a rude version of no I'm 13 and he's 65 I mean I always help people wen they ask a friend asked if I could help him beat Finn but when I asked hime to help me fight the duck o death he said no I mean he told me he was waitin for new content ( he plays a lot more then me) so he can't be bothered to help

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Well this high level pirate always tries to help in a fight if she sees one. I generally try to ask first unless I see that the fighter is already circling to stay out of reach of getting boarded. I will admit though that sometimes I have been cruising through a seemingly empty area and would be surprised to see conversations from someone I never saw. Some ship sails block your view to some extent and it is easy to miss people around you. There are also times that I am just focused on where I am going or I am traveling while looking at my quest log or re arranging my companions in preparation for my next fight so I would not have even seen someone nearby. Perhaps giving a shout out when you wish to have help and that would have solved your problem. We do not have people meters on our ships to alert us if anyone is near. I have done many an about face whenever I have heard a cry for help. I always respond to that, every time, if someone asks for help and I am not in a fight I will help. So just shouting out an 'Ahoy' would have changed your day considerably.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2674
Duke of Westminste... on Feb 17, 2014 wrote:
I was on my buccaneer in cool ranch fighting ships for a quest. They were very hard to beat. I usually ended up deep in the yellow health area after a fight. Then, in the middle of a fight I see an Aquila Galleon pass right by me! It got me frustrated that a high level couldn't offer 20 seconds of his\her time to help me sink a ship. This happened a lot over the course of my character's journey. Maybe I'm overreacting but I think that High levels should try to help out a lower level. I mean, whenever I see a ship battle (Whatever level it is.) I help them out. A high level could sink a cutthroat ship in 10 seconds flat. I don't see why they can't be bothered too go out of their way a little bit to be helpful. I think that this should go for everybody. No matter the level. Besides, you can earn a little bit of Nautical experience while your at it.

See you in the Spiral
~Duke of Westminster
Hello there Duke of Westminster.

I was just curious, did you actually ask them for help and they declined? The only reason I ask this is because there have been times as a high level, I have helped someone who didn't ask for help and they got equally upset at me for jumping in and taking it upon myself to defeat their enemies. Often times someone doesn't want help because they want to accomplish victory themselves without help from someone else- especially someone way above their level. If you did ask and that Aquilan Galleon just ignored you then I would be a bit bothered too. But they may have not known you wanted or required help if you didn't actually ask for it. Sometimes they just figure, if they don't ask...well, I guess they don't need help.

It can be hard to tell if someone really need or wants help unless they display it. For me personally, if I see someone much lower in level engaged in a ship battle I will ask first if they need help and wait for a response so I don't take away their sense of accomplishment. Or I will wait a minute and see if they send out a HELP request and have even let my ship fire a shot to see how they responded. Sometimes they will say- "I'm good", "No Thanks" or "Thanks" and I will know if it is OK to help them or not.

In my opinion it can be equally rude to just swoop in and 'wipe the deck clean' without knowing if that person even wanted my help. I think it is good advice that if you are a lower level and you need or want help- actually ask for it. And likewise if you are a higher level you should ask "Do you need help" first before jumping in. I suggest using Menu Chat to ask and respond, since not everyone has open or text and each party should be able to understand the request and/or reply.

I do agree with you that we all should look out for one another out there in the Skyways, and help if needed. But as euphorialbum99 said, many people have their own agendas or are on their own 'missions' and unless they see someone actually requesting help, it's full steam (or wind) ahead.

But I absolutely enjoy helping my fellow pirates- especially with ship battles. So if I ever see you in the Skyways I'll be sure to ask if you need some help. Or if you need a hand with a specific quest, just post it a few days in advance, and I would be glade to help out.

Ensign
Nov 23, 2012
6
Ok, think about this duke.....

Since the Aquila bundle came out, I've seen many many manly many(low level) players with this ship, gear and COMPANION!!!! It was pretty rare to see aq galleons in cr before the bundle, now they're everywhere.

Did you click the aq galleon to see the lvl?
Did you say "help, HELP ME PLZ"???
A wise man once told another wise man that told my moms that" if you don't ask, you can't receive" or somethin like that.
I mean It could have been a legit aq galleon that just didn't want to give you the time of day oooooor it was just some lvl20/30 player who probably thought the same way.( does that rhyme )

So before you try make us max lvl's look like we don't care about the little people, at least have the fact write, oooooooor you it was a max lvl and I'm just totally wrong

p.s BOOOOOOOO NAUSEA(nausica) BOOOOOOOO

p.p.s, THEY SEA ME SALIN, DA HATIN

Greedy Wesley Kidd lvl 65

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
152
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Feb 18, 2014 wrote:
Well this high level pirate always tries to help in a fight if she sees one. I generally try to ask first unless I see that the fighter is already circling to stay out of reach of getting boarded. I will admit though that sometimes I have been cruising through a seemingly empty area and would be surprised to see conversations from someone I never saw. Some ship sails block your view to some extent and it is easy to miss people around you. There are also times that I am just focused on where I am going or I am traveling while looking at my quest log or re arranging my companions in preparation for my next fight so I would not have even seen someone nearby. Perhaps giving a shout out when you wish to have help and that would have solved your problem. We do not have people meters on our ships to alert us if anyone is near. I have done many an about face whenever I have heard a cry for help. I always respond to that, every time, if someone asks for help and I am not in a fight I will help. So just shouting out an 'Ahoy' would have changed your day considerably.
I'd love to help out anybody, but some people don't need/want help and I don't want to bother them. Oh, why didn't I think of simply asking!? When one of my pirates used to be of lower level, sometimes when a high level helps me I'd never asked for it and I don't even get a chance to swing a sword/dagger at an enemy because they're usually dead before it's my turn. I appreciate their help, but I don't really like to sit back and let them do all the work when it's something I still want to put my effort into. Anyways, if both high levels and low levels would just ask, there wouldn't be any misunderstandings.

Bosun
May 01, 2012
396
Duke of Westminste... on Feb 17, 2014 wrote:
I was on my buccaneer in cool ranch fighting ships for a quest. They were very hard to beat. I usually ended up deep in the yellow health area after a fight. Then, in the middle of a fight I see an Aquila Galleon pass right by me! It got me frustrated that a high level couldn't offer 20 seconds of his\her time to help me sink a ship. This happened a lot over the course of my character's journey. Maybe I'm overreacting but I think that High levels should try to help out a lower level. I mean, whenever I see a ship battle (Whatever level it is.) I help them out. A high level could sink a cutthroat ship in 10 seconds flat. I don't see why they can't be bothered too go out of their way a little bit to be helpful. I think that this should go for everybody. No matter the level. Besides, you can earn a little bit of Nautical experience while your at it.

See you in the Spiral
~Duke of Westminster
Your comment about a little bit of Nautical Experience is right on. The higher level player will only get 1 Nautical Experience Point!

Captain
May 13, 2011
564
dont worry about it. if you see me (my ship is mighty Spartan) and you get caught in a battle, chances are i will help, even if i only literally get 1 nautical xp. it doesnt make the battle harder and they still get backup, so its a win-win

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Greedy Kidd on Feb 18, 2014 wrote:
Ok, think about this duke.....

Since the Aquila bundle came out, I've seen many many manly many(low level) players with this ship, gear and COMPANION!!!! It was pretty rare to see aq galleons in cr before the bundle, now they're everywhere.

Did you click the aq galleon to see the lvl?
Did you say "help, HELP ME PLZ"???
A wise man once told another wise man that told my moms that" if you don't ask, you can't receive" or somethin like that.
I mean It could have been a legit aq galleon that just didn't want to give you the time of day oooooor it was just some lvl20/30 player who probably thought the same way.( does that rhyme )

So before you try make us max lvl's look like we don't care about the little people, at least have the fact write, oooooooor you it was a max lvl and I'm just totally wrong

p.s BOOOOOOOO NAUSEA(nausica) BOOOOOOOO

p.p.s, THEY SEA ME SALIN, DA HATIN

Greedy Wesley Kidd lvl 65
Hi Wesley, welcome to the message boards if I haven't done so before. I realize you may be a PvP player that has been defeated by someone using Nausica and I understand that it can be frustrating until strategies can be learned but she was designed to be a very valuable ally for us pirates that play the game. There is nothing wrong with stating you are frustrated when confronted with her and there are threads for that topic. I am just feeling that booing a companion that is in this game to be a powerful force to help any pirate that 'hires' her onto their crew. The wonderful folk that designed her to make our game play better might be a bit hurt by such ways of expressing PvP frustration.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Greedy Kidd on Feb 18, 2014 wrote:
Ok, think about this duke.....

Since the Aquila bundle came out, I've seen many many manly many(low level) players with this ship, gear and COMPANION!!!! It was pretty rare to see aq galleons in cr before the bundle, now they're everywhere.

Did you click the aq galleon to see the lvl?
Did you say "help, HELP ME PLZ"???
A wise man once told another wise man that told my moms that" if you don't ask, you can't receive" or somethin like that.
I mean It could have been a legit aq galleon that just didn't want to give you the time of day oooooor it was just some lvl20/30 player who probably thought the same way.( does that rhyme )

So before you try make us max lvl's look like we don't care about the little people, at least have the fact write, oooooooor you it was a max lvl and I'm just totally wrong

p.s BOOOOOOOO NAUSEA(nausica) BOOOOOOOO

p.p.s, THEY SEA ME SALIN, DA HATIN

Greedy Wesley Kidd lvl 65
Great point Wesley that the galleon may not have been a high level after all. Looks can be a bit deceiving with the new bundle perks. It is the same thing with the Halloween haunted galleon. You never know what level they are until you hover over them and look.

Ensign
Nov 23, 2012
6
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Feb 19, 2014 wrote:
Hi Wesley, welcome to the message boards if I haven't done so before. I realize you may be a PvP player that has been defeated by someone using Nausica and I understand that it can be frustrating until strategies can be learned but she was designed to be a very valuable ally for us pirates that play the game. There is nothing wrong with stating you are frustrated when confronted with her and there are threads for that topic. I am just feeling that booing a companion that is in this game to be a powerful force to help any pirate that 'hires' her onto their crew. The wonderful folk that designed her to make our game play better might be a bit hurt by such ways of expressing PvP frustration.
SENPAI NOTICED ME!!!

lol jk
don't get me wrong, if I had nausica I would probably use her all the time, but that isn't my only issue in pvp
1. when players get on my team and just when the timer hits like 3 seconds, they back up leaving me and others at a disadvantage
2.when almost each piece of equipment equipped has the power spirit shield, I just cant wait five rounds and be completely unharmed( in case ya don't know, spirit shield is a privateer power that makes one companion immune to all damage for five rounds).
3. duelist101 is holding a pvp two on two tournament and the winners will get a Aquila bundle(I don't know all the details so if ya wanna participate go to duelist101.com too get more info)
4. I might join this tournament but I don't got a partner, so if ya wanna help me out, hit me up(I will be watching this topic frequently in case you wanna help a brotha out. I would prefer a max lvl player of any class so just leave your name and lvl and i'll have more info if anyone might be interested)

Greedy Wesley Kidd lvl ^%
p.s I've been noticed by senpai

Petty Officer
Jun 10, 2013
77
I'm one who always tries to help and I can't tell you the number of times that I've sat in the skyway near a battle and asked if they needed help and never got a reply. A few times I've swung my ship in to help (I really hate doing ship battles by myself so that my color my view) and had the other player pull back and leave the battle which I can only assume meant he or she wanted to do it alone. Another time I had a player flat out tell me to go away when I tried to help.

But yes, there are times when I'm on a mission to mark something off my quest list and am not interested in distractions. I figure I actively look for people to help quite a lot of the time and I NEVER refuse a request unless I'm already in a battle so I don't feel too guilty those few times when I put my pirates first.

Everyone is so different in how they play it's very hard to tell if you're doing the *right* thing no matter what choice you make. As was mentioned, a quick cry for help will likely make all the difference in the world. At any rate, the friendly, helpful players have FAR outnumbered the other kind in my experience.

Thrifty Tiffany Webb lvl 65
Fearless Fallon Webb lvl 65

First Mate
Oct 27, 2009
458
There were many good replies in this thread. I only have one thing to add. Sometimes I am sailing somewhere, riding the skyway. I lash a rope to the wheel to hold the course on the skyway, and duck down to the galley to get a beverage or snack. Some people might not hear a cry for help, because their ship is fine for a little while on the sky lane and they stepped away from the computer for a brief time.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Greedy Kidd on Feb 20, 2014 wrote:
SENPAI NOTICED ME!!!

lol jk
don't get me wrong, if I had nausica I would probably use her all the time, but that isn't my only issue in pvp
1. when players get on my team and just when the timer hits like 3 seconds, they back up leaving me and others at a disadvantage
2.when almost each piece of equipment equipped has the power spirit shield, I just cant wait five rounds and be completely unharmed( in case ya don't know, spirit shield is a privateer power that makes one companion immune to all damage for five rounds).
3. duelist101 is holding a pvp two on two tournament and the winners will get a Aquila bundle(I don't know all the details so if ya wanna participate go to duelist101.com too get more info)
4. I might join this tournament but I don't got a partner, so if ya wanna help me out, hit me up(I will be watching this topic frequently in case you wanna help a brotha out. I would prefer a max lvl player of any class so just leave your name and lvl and i'll have more info if anyone might be interested)

Greedy Wesley Kidd lvl ^%
p.s I've been noticed by senpai
Just to give you some hope, it is not exactly 5 rounds, that is an estimate. It can be a weaker shield if you will is low when casting it and thus if they boost up their will and then cast it it will be much stronger. It mostly depends on the power of the one hitting on it. If it gets hit by five good critical hits in the first round, that bubble will start to fall apart the next round. I have seen this happen with Dragoons Steely resolving for every mojo echo that my Inoshishi Necromancer hit them with and that bubble needed replacing quite frequently.
Here is a thread where Ratbeard takes some of his valuable time to explain it better for us.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
365
SlightlyMadWizard on Feb 19, 2014 wrote:
Your comment about a little bit of Nautical Experience is right on. The higher level player will only get 1 Nautical Experience Point!
You misunderstood. If you look at the third to last sentence in my post you would see the word everybody. Not just people in Aquila.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
365
By the way, I DID say "pls Help" a bunch of times before and after the fight so that someone would come and help me in the next one. This didn't just happen the one time. This happened about 20 or so times. I must have rotten luck when it comes to high lvl players. I doubt that 20ish Aquila galleons that passed me were either low level, not paying attention or were too busy for a quick little nautical battle.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6038
Duke of Westminste... on Feb 20, 2014 wrote:
By the way, I DID say "pls Help" a bunch of times before and after the fight so that someone would come and help me in the next one. This didn't just happen the one time. This happened about 20 or so times. I must have rotten luck when it comes to high lvl players. I doubt that 20ish Aquila galleons that passed me were either low level, not paying attention or were too busy for a quick little nautical battle.
Well that is truly sad then that someone ignored a call for help. That is part of the unwritten code written in the heart of every virtuous pirate and I can assure you that whenever I hear a cry for help I always do my about face maneuver and try to find the distressed pirate post haste.

Lieutenant
Aug 15, 2012
152
Duke of Westminste... on Feb 20, 2014 wrote:
By the way, I DID say "pls Help" a bunch of times before and after the fight so that someone would come and help me in the next one. This didn't just happen the one time. This happened about 20 or so times. I must have rotten luck when it comes to high lvl players. I doubt that 20ish Aquila galleons that passed me were either low level, not paying attention or were too busy for a quick little nautical battle.
Well, I'm sure some of us from the message boards would be more than happy to help you. Unfortunately not everyone is generous and kind in the game, but from what I see, a lot of pirates from message boards do possess these traits. Just tell us when, where, and which realm you want to meet.

Bosun
Nov 03, 2012
365
435Snow Owl on Feb 21, 2014 wrote:
Well, I'm sure some of us from the message boards would be more than happy to help you. Unfortunately not everyone is generous and kind in the game, but from what I see, a lot of pirates from message boards do possess these traits. Just tell us when, where, and which realm you want to meet.
I've completed those parts for the moment at least. It's always good to hear that there are good high lvl's around helping the lower lvl's. I actually know a lot of really nice high lvl's on my max privateer. I hope they're as kind to me as they are to everyone else.