Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Hair pullin', head slappin' & big grinnin' moments

AuthorMessage
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
Ahoy scurvy pirates!

We've all experienced those, "Are you kidding me!?!", "What in the....?" & "No way that just happened!" kind of moments in P101. Yep, those head shaking, forehead slapping, jaw clenching, hair pulling, fist pumping, crazed-laughing moments, that leave our lips flapping as we exhale some frustrations. I know I've had my more than fair share of them. I thought I would share a few of them and ask that you all do the same.

These unbelievale P101 moments all took place when Valkoor went a Courtin' & covortin', while farming Kane & his cohorts. I often find myself laughing at some of my inglorious misfortunes in battle...after wiping away the tears. If there's one thing to be said about P101 combat it would have to be: It is random; It is unpredictable; It is intelligent; It keeps things interesting. Okay, so that's four things...

So, I'll get things started with my most recent 'DOH!!' moments...
  • A Tower Shield doubloon comes up at the perfect time, & the AI randomly gives it to my near-death pet...
  • 5 or 6 rounds in a row, Magic Resist & Agility doubloons come up...w/ no Magic/Agility based enemies left on the board.
  • An Armada Marine decides to Block about 20 chain attacks over the course of 2+ rounds....
  • This ones on me. It's down to my pirate, Rooke (sliver of health left) & Kane (health in the red). Everything is set up perfectly & I hurriedly choose a path that leaves Rooke & passes by Kane, thus triggering Hold the Line. Yeah, he bobbled Valkoor's head. The entire board was open!!! DOH!!
  • EVERY single court member gets a Critical Chain/Hit in the same round!! Yeeeoooch!!
  • A Whale's Might & Shark's Fury is active & my crew receives zero Crits, yet the STR-based Marines each get 3-4 Critical Hits. Oy vey!!!
  • I use Blood Flames & a super low-health Queen lands right next to one, but also Flanks my Quint. The Flame's damage takes a backseat to her Flanking & she goes on a Crit Flank, Bladestorm, Riposte rampage, thus tuckering out Quint & Gracie. Then the Flame's damage does her in..."WHYYYYY?"
  • I use Blood Flames & a MooShu summons doubloon in the same round. Two little piggies decided to go wee-wee-wee all the way home...right on top two of the Flames!!! What the Bloody Helephant!!!
  • My sweet little Scylla Spawn pet ,that is surrounded by Court members, decides to leave it's square to weave in & out of the enemy-- just to attack the same enemy it was already adjacent to. Meanwhile it triggers multiple Repel Boarders, First Strikes/Crits/Blade Storms off...which my crew members graciously accepted.
  • I employ a brilliant strategy that hits the court hard, removes several members & leaves me safely on the opposite side. I decide to use a Maelstrom doubloon to give me some privacy. It works but it also blows a near-death Marine into the allied first row, thus promoting it to a full-health Queen. So she came clear across the board in the next round & whispered sweet somethings into Valkoor's ear. Long live the Queen. Valkoor...eh, not so much!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
Ah yes, the ( mis ) fortunes of war!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 29, 2016 wrote:
Ah yes, the ( mis ) fortunes of war!
Oh yes indeed....care to share any of your more memorable misfortunes?

I just recently had another one that was along the lines of another boneheaded Valkoor move.

I had taken out the 2 Armada Marines and the Queen, and all was looking well. I hadn't even used my Blood Flames yet and I was positioning myself to get a far enough distance from the remaining court members (Bishop, Deacon, Rooke and Kane were all still left) so that I could drop them.

After creating enough space I dropped the 5 Flames where they wouldn't be interfered with. The round ended and one enemy was adjacent to the center Flame and both the Flame and Deacon expired. I sent Quint after Bishop to hopefully finish him off before he could target my crew and the Flames with his AoE-- so that I could lure Rooke and Kane into the Flames. I had some Strength buffs up and just knew that good ol' Quint and his Relentless/Blade Storms would finish off the somewhat low-health Bishop. I then used Scratch's skeletal summons and placed it in the center of the flames (where the 1 Flame had been extinguished..knowing Rooke/Kane would go after it.

Quint hit Bishop pretty decent and started whittling down his health a good bit and all seemed good. He scored a successful attack, then a Critical Relentless but his ensuing Blade Storm got blocked. Then Bishop decided to block the 1st Second Chance second Relentless, the 2nd Second Chance and the last Relentless didn't kick in. Bishop was left with a sliver of health and the next turn he targeted the skeletal summons in the center of the Blood Flames with his AoE, thus removing all 4 remaining Flames from the board.

And all because I was so confident that Quint would finish off Bishop and the skeletal summons would be left to lure in the 2 battle buddies. Just goes to show how sometimes things are beyond our control...and that's a great thing!!!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Aug 29, 2016 wrote:
Oh yes indeed....care to share any of your more memorable misfortunes?

I just recently had another one that was along the lines of another boneheaded Valkoor move.

I had taken out the 2 Armada Marines and the Queen, and all was looking well. I hadn't even used my Blood Flames yet and I was positioning myself to get a far enough distance from the remaining court members (Bishop, Deacon, Rooke and Kane were all still left) so that I could drop them.

After creating enough space I dropped the 5 Flames where they wouldn't be interfered with. The round ended and one enemy was adjacent to the center Flame and both the Flame and Deacon expired. I sent Quint after Bishop to hopefully finish him off before he could target my crew and the Flames with his AoE-- so that I could lure Rooke and Kane into the Flames. I had some Strength buffs up and just knew that good ol' Quint and his Relentless/Blade Storms would finish off the somewhat low-health Bishop. I then used Scratch's skeletal summons and placed it in the center of the flames (where the 1 Flame had been extinguished..knowing Rooke/Kane would go after it.

Quint hit Bishop pretty decent and started whittling down his health a good bit and all seemed good. He scored a successful attack, then a Critical Relentless but his ensuing Blade Storm got blocked. Then Bishop decided to block the 1st Second Chance second Relentless, the 2nd Second Chance and the last Relentless didn't kick in. Bishop was left with a sliver of health and the next turn he targeted the skeletal summons in the center of the Blood Flames with his AoE, thus removing all 4 remaining Flames from the board.

And all because I was so confident that Quint would finish off Bishop and the skeletal summons would be left to lure in the 2 battle buddies. Just goes to show how sometimes things are beyond our control...and that's a great thing!!!
Well, I don't obsess over my misfortunes. If I suffer a nasty defeat, I dust myself off and go back in. And after I've won, I forget about it all - it's behind me.
Although, I could tell you about all my W101 battles that come down to the last round with me at a low health and the enemy at low health; then I have that wonderful, game-finishing power card - and it happens - I fizzle and the enemy crushes me!

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
anecorbie on Aug 30, 2016 wrote:
Well, I don't obsess over my misfortunes. If I suffer a nasty defeat, I dust myself off and go back in. And after I've won, I forget about it all - it's behind me.
Although, I could tell you about all my W101 battles that come down to the last round with me at a low health and the enemy at low health; then I have that wonderful, game-finishing power card - and it happens - I fizzle and the enemy crushes me!
I hear you, Esperanza.

Yeah I don't dwell on my defeats or misfortunes either-- I make light of them, laugh at them, write jokes about them and then press on.

But sometimes I find it fun and enlightening to let others know that they aren't alone in their misfortunes. We all have experienced those "What went wrong" kind of moments...sometimes it's just nice to share them in a more upbeat & humorous way to assure others that they aren't the only ones that experience them. Just as I have experienced all of the above...I have also soloed Kane 40+ plus times. So it serves as a testament that you may run into misfortune but you surely can overcome it if you try again and stay positive.

Some players think the Spiral is conspiring against them and they are surely the only ones that suffer from unlucky moments. Well this thread is here to tell them that we all have those moments, but we all keep on chuggin' and that laughing at those "Why me???" moments can help them see that the game isn't singling them out...when things do go wrong.

Sometimes just reading that it happens to other people as well, can make it less disheartening when you experience it yourself.

Ensign
Jun 25, 2014
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Aug 31, 2016 wrote:
I hear you, Esperanza.

Yeah I don't dwell on my defeats or misfortunes either-- I make light of them, laugh at them, write jokes about them and then press on.

But sometimes I find it fun and enlightening to let others know that they aren't alone in their misfortunes. We all have experienced those "What went wrong" kind of moments...sometimes it's just nice to share them in a more upbeat & humorous way to assure others that they aren't the only ones that experience them. Just as I have experienced all of the above...I have also soloed Kane 40+ plus times. So it serves as a testament that you may run into misfortune but you surely can overcome it if you try again and stay positive.

Some players think the Spiral is conspiring against them and they are surely the only ones that suffer from unlucky moments. Well this thread is here to tell them that we all have those moments, but we all keep on chuggin' and that laughing at those "Why me???" moments can help them see that the game isn't singling them out...when things do go wrong.

Sometimes just reading that it happens to other people as well, can make it less disheartening when you experience it yourself.
In some ways, I think many of tend to forget this little anecdote as we tend to go about our days (in the spiral or out) without so much of a thought behind many things... what is, what was, and what is to come... Look at all the social experiments that are being run on gaming in general... We create the spiral in a mirror image of what we expect our world to be outside of it. We shape it and mold our experiences and carve friendships that we otherwise perhaps lack outside of (fill in that blank). I think that no matter what age we were, and will be; the precipice between what our expectations are and the true realities ( no matter how cruel) are always going to be the same.

Words are like fleeting images; they take shape only to leave the tongue or keyboard and become jaded and lose their original purpose. Like everything in life; intention and meaning are a paradox that rule the existence of everything we know and the only limitation to its rule is that one must imagine in order to truly take hold of the beauty that is around us. Defeat as you said is only temporary; but if we look further... Defeat = Loss = Missing moment. Success is innate as we had to succeed in being born, in growing up and achieving the intelligence we have and sharing that success with others.

If we drew a line between success and defeat; in the middle humanity is the subterfuge variable in which the outcome is as unique as what we bring into creation through our thoughts. I like to look at a few points that may shed even more light into the subject..

If we look into humanity and its history; we have seen many facets of the spectrum we call "the human experience" but all creations (digital, inanimate, or flesh and blood) share a common thread; they were brought into existence through thought and intent. I think in the scope of this discussion this subject can extend to the reaches of heaven and sky and beyond; but it is a discussion well worth writing about ( to be continued)