Gifting should be allowed.

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Feb 07, 2009
2
I believe that gifting should be allowed because that way if pirates want to help other pirates i would be easy. Like my friend wants to gift me a Sergent Sheperd and he cant because it isnt allowed. It would be a great thing to put on the game. Finally the one thing i dont get is why put it on Wizard101 and not Pirate101.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1194
A lot of people who play Wizard101 have commented how much they enjoy not having it here. Unfortunately, there are some Wizard101 players who run around pestering strangers to gift them crowns or items. It can be annoying. Perhaps KI can work out a compromise at some point. Not sure what it would be though.

-Indigo.

Bosun
May 06, 2009
372
Wizard101 was KI's first game. It started the whole program a long time ago. Pirate101 is fairly new and wasn't made at the same time frame of Wizard so it's not like they gave somethings to one game and some things to the other. Pirate's adding a lot of Wizard101's features pretty quickly, but Gifting wasn't on the top of the list. I think they could be debating whether or not to add it.

Gifting, in all it's intentions, is a very good way of sharing between players, but the community can easily ruin the whole aspect of gifting and literally, make it one of the worst features. Wizard101's Gift system started off pretty ok, but Players began to beg endlessly for things from Player who could afford some of the items in the shop. It became painful for players. I can understand that it would be nice, but the problem is I feel as soon as Pirate101 catches on in popularity (if at all in the next 3 years) the +25 Million players are going to muck up the experience and badger at others to gift pets, packs, mounts, even Companions. I dunno if all Pirates are going to flip over for that (we are Pirates after all)

Personally, I could either way with Gifting being added. I like things without Gifing right now. If Gifting is added, it's all the more reason for me to keep my ship out of the major ports. As long as our small community wouldn't go crazy over it like we're in the Spiral's greatest treasure trove of sorts, then yeah go for it, but otherwise, it's not necessary.

Cunning Finnigan Sharp

P.S. I'm not sure if Companions would be made Giftable. Just my thought.

Community Leader
matt679 on May 31, 2013 wrote:
I believe that gifting should be allowed because that way if pirates want to help other pirates i would be easy. Like my friend wants to gift me a Sergent Sheperd and he cant because it isnt allowed. It would be a great thing to put on the game. Finally the one thing i dont get is why put it on Wizard101 and not Pirate101.
I imagine it will get added at some point. Personally, I hope they wait a very long time before adding it. Ideally, the inclusion of gifting would result in everyone showering me with presents for being so awesome. In reality, it would be people who's friend request I just accepted begging me for stuff until I unfriend them . . . just like in Wizard101.

Now that I think about it, they may be waiting until there is something really compelling to gift to someone. It seems like a lot of the gifting in W101 is related to pets and gardening, two things that P101 lacks (and doesn't have another comparable system in place).

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Community Leader
Talkin The Plank on May 31, 2013 wrote:
I imagine it will get added at some point. Personally, I hope they wait a very long time before adding it. Ideally, the inclusion of gifting would result in everyone showering me with presents for being so awesome. In reality, it would be people who's friend request I just accepted begging me for stuff until I unfriend them . . . just like in Wizard101.

Now that I think about it, they may be waiting until there is something really compelling to gift to someone. It seems like a lot of the gifting in W101 is related to pets and gardening, two things that P101 lacks (and doesn't have another comparable system in place).
I agree!

I am sure it will be there eventually.
Not much to "gift" presently, there are some things that might be nice, but not much overall.

Dr Zeppers (aka Silent Sam Stern)
Piratey parodies I like to make.
I be a crazy pirate for goodness sake!
Artist & Admin of Skull Island TV
Captain
May 13, 2011
564
matt679 on May 31, 2013 wrote:
I believe that gifting should be allowed because that way if pirates want to help other pirates i would be easy. Like my friend wants to gift me a Sergent Sheperd and he cant because it isnt allowed. It would be a great thing to put on the game. Finally the one thing i dont get is why put it on Wizard101 and not Pirate101.
in case you havent realized, there were tons of beggars on W101. i hope they dont put gifting on P101, or else averys court will be flooded with beggars asking for gifts. if people want something from the crown shop they have to get it themselves, period

Captain
Feb 27, 2009
505
Here's a solution
You have to be friends with one another for at least one month and have a Golden Star on both of your lists for your friends names. Then after that, you may gift so when a beggar finds out we can just say you're not adding me then you run to another realm, run, log off, port somewhere or to a friend.

Community Leader
Sneaky George Quar... on May 31, 2013 wrote:
in case you havent realized, there were tons of beggars on W101. i hope they dont put gifting on P101, or else averys court will be flooded with beggars asking for gifts. if people want something from the crown shop they have to get it themselves, period
In my first week of playing P101 (back in October) I was asked by at least half a dozen people in Avery Court to gift them something. Presumably, they had just switched games, having gotten tired of asking passing wizards for a handout.

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Bosun
May 10, 2010
396
Talkin The Plank on Jun 3, 2013 wrote:
In my first week of playing P101 (back in October) I was asked by at least half a dozen people in Avery Court to gift them something. Presumably, they had just switched games, having gotten tired of asking passing wizards for a handout.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, yes, the beggars can get out of hand, however, not everyone has crowns either. Some people here are very good friends and some like to gift others for birthdays, Christmas, etc, or even to help out a friend.

I seem to remember helping someone out in Wizard101 who was new and just learning the game with a few items, without gifting, that would not have been possible.

DarthJT

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
I am loving the non begging atmosphere of Pirates. Beggars drove me crazy on Wizard. All it took was for me to have any crown item showing and total strangers would hassle me for gifts. They would ask me how many crowns I had and as I am not a lieing person I would just not answer or tell them it was inappropriate for them to ask and they always took that as sign that I must have some and began pestering me. It is not a matter of just unfriending a beggar, total strangers would beg or someone would stand in the commons and clutter up the chat window with their appeals, over and over (being smart enough to change it slightly to beat the repeat ban). It was such a relief when I got to Pirates that beggars were silenced immediately by telling them it just wasn't possible. As much as I love being a generous person to my friends for birthdays and holidays, it just isn't worth all the beggars that ruined it for all of us. Please, please KingsIsle, do not bring gifting here.

Community Leader
Darth JT on Jun 3, 2013 wrote:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, yes, the beggars can get out of hand, however, not everyone has crowns either. Some people here are very good friends and some like to gift others for birthdays, Christmas, etc, or even to help out a friend.

I seem to remember helping someone out in Wizard101 who was new and just learning the game with a few items, without gifting, that would not have been possible.

DarthJT
Point taken. I'm not saying that there aren't positive uses for gifting . . . there are! However, the far greater gift you can give in the game, which I know you, Darth, also do a great deal of, is taking the time to explain game mechanics. Being able to give items to your friends is cool. People asking for help with a boss they can't beat or for someone to explain how a certain system works or what abilities they should be looking for . . . getting answers to those questions and help with a challenge is far more important (long term) to game enjoyment.

Receiving a gift from a friend feels great. Sending a gift to a friend feels arguably better. Being harassed by strangers and either having to ignore repeated direct messages or un-friend people because they're trying to take advantage of your generosity doesn't feel so good. It's an annoyance at best and a hassle at worst.

It's not really that big of a deal either way and, as I said, there are upsides and downsides to either way. For me, the downside outweighs the upside since P101, in particular, doesn't have all that many game changing items available for crowns. It's mostly cosmetic items, or items that give a small boost. Compared to Wizard101's life amulet (gives you significantly more flexibility) or Evil Magma Peas (a renewable resource that remains useful for your entire playtime as both a source of cards and income), Pirate101 has very little that could significantly help. Even the eye-patches, which give a good boost to dodge and accuracy, are only good for 10 levels, or so. Could you gift crew members? That might be close. Gifting an extra starter companion clone could be a sizable boost!

Host of the Talkin' the Plank Podcast, where we talk about Pirate 101 every Friday!
Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1194
I have been thinking about this issue the last couple of days since my initial post, and if it could be programmed, one thing that might work would be to have an island - or a part of an existing island - where gifting can occur. Nothing else goes on there, so those who don't want to gift anyone anything can just stay away from the island. If you do want to give a friend a gift, you and your friend simply rendezvous there.

-Indigo

Ensign
Feb 02, 2010
18
In my opinion i think there should..but in a specific way..
I think that you can only gift TRUE friends (with friend codes..)
i think it would be a solution so those pesky new beginners who just sit in averys court and say "gift me something!!" cant tell you there friend code and cant really beg.
there might be something about adding someone to a tfc w/open chat but i think this would work better than just giving it to everyone

~SneakyWolfParkerall the way
~WittyWolfNelson all the way!!
yargh

Commodore
May 30, 2010
863
Lots of things should be allowed but aren't. There should be an island where pirates on the same family of accounts can go and exchange stuff like housing items and gear as long as the pirates are there at the same time.

Gifting is no big deal -- and it's nice not to have folks begging me to spend my hard-earned crowns on them when I don't know them from Adam's off ox. I'd love to be able to gift someone in my immediate circle of friends (the ones I know personally, in real life), but it's not a make or break thing for me. The person I would be most likely to gift anything to has his own income and doesn't need me to give him anything, really.

Admiral
Nov 23, 2011
1194
I thought of a potential problem with my "Giftie Island" idea... the beggars can go around begging us to meet them at Giftie Island. Of course, the way to deal with that would be to say "Sure... gotta sell this stuff in the bazaar then I will be right there! You go ahead!"

Pirate Overlord
Mar 10, 2009
6079
Fiorenza Rosanante... on Jun 4, 2013 wrote:
Lots of things should be allowed but aren't. There should be an island where pirates on the same family of accounts can go and exchange stuff like housing items and gear as long as the pirates are there at the same time.

Gifting is no big deal -- and it's nice not to have folks begging me to spend my hard-earned crowns on them when I don't know them from Adam's off ox. I'd love to be able to gift someone in my immediate circle of friends (the ones I know personally, in real life), but it's not a make or break thing for me. The person I would be most likely to gift anything to has his own income and doesn't need me to give him anything, really.
OOh I like your idea of the island. Like a spot were you could put things down that anyone else that you have allowed to enter ( strict controls over who may be there ) can just pick up. That sounds really cool. And a great way to gift your friends since you would have control over who can be there. Really nice idea. x hands a cool yum x