Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Favorite Companion & Build?

AuthorMessage
Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Just thought I'd ask what everyone's favorite Companion is (including their build); nothing big just something to pass the time together. Also gives new players some ideas as to how to build their own Companions

Rule: Only 1 Companion allowed (I know, it's gonna be difficult but try to do your best )

Here's mine:

Kobe Yojimbo(If you didn't see this coming, you don't know me well )

Epics

First Strike 2
Repel Boarders 2

Talents

Rough 4
Agile 4
Dodgy 4
Tough 4

(Currently redoing my Bucc so if the stats can go higher than Rank 4 assume mine will do so, I intend to max those four out anyways)

Why I Love This Build

The First Strike/Repel Boarders combo has increased Kobe's lifespan IMMENSELY. This build allows Kobe to get 2 attacks in before the opponent (provided they don't have Vengeance/First Strike or Riposte) and it's always exhilarating to see him get off a Mega or Super when Repel Boarders activates; dealing massive damage without the 'inhibitor' First Strike seems to possess. I used to run Kobe with First Strike 2 and Relentless 2 but found that Relentless is pretty much a double-edged sword; if it activates against an opponent with Vengeance/First Strike or Riposte, all it seemed to do was threaten Kobe's life even more as now he has to survive more attacks than he should be exposed to. By switching Relentless to Repel Boarders, I found that he will get off those 2 initial hits and not have to worry too much about accidentally setting up his target for a counter-chain. Once I'm able to max these two Epics to Rank 3 (in the future when we can actually do that) I plan on investing into Riposte.

So, your turn! I will clarify real quick though: this is NOT a 'Best Companion' thread, this is 'Personal Favorite Companion and Their Build' thread. Have fun and give your First Mate some glory!

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Here's mine:

Louis Le Bisque

Epics:
Overwatch 2
Quick Draw
Double Tap

Talents:
Tough 4
Rough 4
Agile 4
Accurate 4

Why I like this build:

Louis is more of a supportive musketeer, as he has bombs and a trap power to go with his critical strike. I find his powers SUPER useful in battle. His main epic is Overwatch, and along with Quick Draw and Double Tap, he can be a very powerful companion! Also, what makes him better than Bonnie Anne or Chantal Livingstone is that he is a musketeer that has more health and (I think) armor, which makes him a long-lasting companion in battle. Not only that, his accent is hilarious!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Jun 17, 2015 wrote:
Here's mine:

Louis Le Bisque

Epics:
Overwatch 2
Quick Draw
Double Tap

Talents:
Tough 4
Rough 4
Agile 4
Accurate 4

Why I like this build:

Louis is more of a supportive musketeer, as he has bombs and a trap power to go with his critical strike. I find his powers SUPER useful in battle. His main epic is Overwatch, and along with Quick Draw and Double Tap, he can be a very powerful companion! Also, what makes him better than Bonnie Anne or Chantal Livingstone is that he is a musketeer that has more health and (I think) armor, which makes him a long-lasting companion in battle. Not only that, his accent is hilarious!
That's awesome! He's a Presidio Companion right? I think I've heard of/seen him before

Captain
Feb 11, 2010
Nightblood1995 on Jun 17, 2015 wrote:
That's awesome! He's a Presidio Companion right? I think I've heard of/seen him before
He's the Kraken Skulls companion for musketeers.

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
Oh geez difficult question.. I think I'll give my rosters and reasons for my pirates in three different posts, if that's okay. First I'll start with Owen, of course.

Firstmate: Egg Shen, Level 65 Goose Master [Ultimate Favorite]
Reason: The first one I ever met on my Privateer, Egg has been with Owen through thick and thin. It say he's the most playful and easy-going of the starters, and he looks so cool. His crits are great, his personality is great, and he's great in battle.
Build: Rough 4, Tough 4, Strong 4, Accurate 3, Dodgy 1/ Relentless 2, First Strike [Starts with], Blade Storm [Previously Repel Boarders, I'm experimenting]

Second: Hawkules, Level 67 Something Something
Reason: The very definition of a tank, Hawkules goes in muscles blazing and arrogance at an all time high with a few Strength upgrades to go with it; enemies run away, screaming in terror. Checkmate. Did I mention with some Discipline and Enduring Discipline, THEM BLADE STORM CHAINS?
Build: Same Talents as Egg/Relentless 2, Blade Storm 2, Vengeance Strike [Starts with].

Third: Ratbeard, Level 65 Rat Admiral
Reason: He's funny.
Build: Tough 4, Rough 4, Strong 4, Accurate 4/ THE BLOB! NO ONE MOVES HIM BUT HIMSELF [Check Duelist for the full set-up :p]

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Shock and Paw

Gunner's Mate
Feb 26, 2013
For my buccaneer, it varies a lot but here's the current set-up:

Firstmate: Peter Quint, Level 35 Pelican Mercenary
Reason: Because why WOULDN'T you have him on your team? He is a TOTAL BEAST.
Build: Relentless 2, Blade Storm

Second: El Toro [music plays], Level 36 Masked Hero
Reasons: He's still such a beast and when starting Mooshu, especially with that steep learning curve, he's very good to have in a fight.
Build: Riposte, Relentless 2

Third: Kobe Yojimbo, Level 34 Bull Icantremember
Reasons: Well, since giving Kobe Relentless and Bladestorm he's been holding his own on my team and carrying his wait. It really all comes down to luck and whether the engine activates that extra hit to do some more damage.
Build: Relentless, First Strike [Starts with], Blade Storm

T-t-t-that's all for now, folk!

Cdr. Corrupt Rachel Bellamy, Level 37 Savior of Miranda

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
CaptainBlackWolfBo... on Jun 17, 2015 wrote:
He's the Kraken Skulls companion for musketeers.
Ah I thought I've seen him before, he's in the room full of all those Class-Only Companions when you first go to get the Map from Ratbeard in the Kraken Skull's Tavern cellar. That's pretty awesome! Never was a fan of ranged combat, but he definitely sounds epic!

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Jun 17, 2015 wrote:
Oh geez difficult question.. I think I'll give my rosters and reasons for my pirates in three different posts, if that's okay. First I'll start with Owen, of course.

Firstmate: Egg Shen, Level 65 Goose Master [Ultimate Favorite]
Reason: The first one I ever met on my Privateer, Egg has been with Owen through thick and thin. It say he's the most playful and easy-going of the starters, and he looks so cool. His crits are great, his personality is great, and he's great in battle.
Build: Rough 4, Tough 4, Strong 4, Accurate 3, Dodgy 1/ Relentless 2, First Strike [Starts with], Blade Storm [Previously Repel Boarders, I'm experimenting]

Second: Hawkules, Level 67 Something Something
Reason: The very definition of a tank, Hawkules goes in muscles blazing and arrogance at an all time high with a few Strength upgrades to go with it; enemies run away, screaming in terror. Checkmate. Did I mention with some Discipline and Enduring Discipline, THEM BLADE STORM CHAINS?
Build: Same Talents as Egg/Relentless 2, Blade Storm 2, Vengeance Strike [Starts with].

Third: Ratbeard, Level 65 Rat Admiral
Reason: He's funny.
Build: Tough 4, Rough 4, Strong 4, Accurate 4/ THE BLOB! NO ONE MOVES HIM BUT HIMSELF [Check Duelist for the full set-up :p]

Cpt. Cruel Owen Quarrel, Level 65 Shock and Paw
I've always wondered how Egg Shen was, now I see why everyone says he so epic that is pretty awesome! Though Bucc will always remain my primary, preferred class; might just have to scrape up enough crowns to get him from the Crown's shop then

Gunner's Mate
Jan 27, 2011
Cruel Owen Quarrel on Jun 17, 2015 wrote:
For my buccaneer, it varies a lot but here's the current set-up:

Firstmate: Peter Quint, Level 35 Pelican Mercenary
Reason: Because why WOULDN'T you have him on your team? He is a TOTAL BEAST.
Build: Relentless 2, Blade Storm

Second: El Toro [music plays], Level 36 Masked Hero
Reasons: He's still such a beast and when starting Mooshu, especially with that steep learning curve, he's very good to have in a fight.
Build: Riposte, Relentless 2

Third: Kobe Yojimbo, Level 34 Bull Icantremember
Reasons: Well, since giving Kobe Relentless and Bladestorm he's been holding his own on my team and carrying his wait. It really all comes down to luck and whether the engine activates that extra hit to do some more damage.
Build: Relentless, First Strike [Starts with], Blade Storm

T-t-t-that's all for now, folk!

Cdr. Corrupt Rachel Bellamy, Level 37 Savior of Miranda
Peter Quint is flat out a god-pelican; that guy was built to decimate and own people . He's my second mate, with Barnabus taking up the rear. My Peter runs Relentless 2 and Second Chance 2 so as to further increase his chain-chances . Works beautifully for me.

Yeah, I agree Kobe is a bit worthless at times simply cuz he's always the first to be targeted and requires more luck (a.k.a: blocking/dodging activating constantly) than the other Companions. I honestly got fed up with him dying almost every battle today and just started waking him up and using him as a 'suicide bomber'; send him out to use his Powers and then just leave him to die so I can wake him up afterwards. There's really no other point, he has 3 wounds and doesn't live long enough for the wounds to fully heal; you end up using him once and waiting hours to use him at full health again. KI completely ruined him, if Loud would work like it's supposed to then there wouldn't be an issue; heck El Toro doesn't seem to get hit nearly as often as Kobe does, and that's flat out pathetic considering how much aggro Toro can draw. I still love Kobe's overall character, but he's starting to become more of a drag than a bro to me.

Love your team setups! They look/seem lethal I'd be afraid to face them in PvP.