Epic Free Giveaway

AuthorMessage
Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9102
I love this day during the 12 Days! And I'm glad to make a positive post for once.

So, me shipmates, what sort o' booty did ye overhaul from KingsIsle?
I got a pet! An Ostrich in a Pear Tree
On one of my secondary accounts I actually got a companion! Holly Jolly Roger!

Gunner's Mate
Feb 12, 2015
279
anecorbie on Dec 12, 2018 wrote:
I love this day during the 12 Days! And I'm glad to make a positive post for once.

So, me shipmates, what sort o' booty did ye overhaul from KingsIsle?
I got a pet! An Ostrich in a Pear Tree
On one of my secondary accounts I actually got a companion! Holly Jolly Roger!
Wow! Holly Jolly Roger! The only actually competent Christmas Companion! Congrats!

I got a Tribal Crew Pack.

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
139
Yeah, at first i thought we were getting EVERY item on this list- it made much more sense when i actually read about it! But unfortunately, i had hard luck. I got a golden skeleton key and a grizz pack. Hope someone else got it better with their items!

Ensign
Mar 28, 2009
17
I got a mount for my wizard account, and Grizzly packs for my pirate accounts.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9102
Admiral
May 30, 2010
1114
Two of my accounts got the Ostrich in a Pear Tree, including my baby account, which doesn't have a lot anyway.

The other two got packs, I think.

Admiral
Nov 01, 2013
1347
anecorbie on Dec 12, 2018 wrote:
I love this day during the 12 Days! And I'm glad to make a positive post for once.

So, me shipmates, what sort o' booty did ye overhaul from KingsIsle?
I got a pet! An Ostrich in a Pear Tree
On one of my secondary accounts I actually got a companion! Holly Jolly Roger!
I believe I got some kind of Pack, and something else I don't remember... I haven't logged in since I redeemed it. I'll have to report back in when I either remember or find out!

Lieutenant
Oct 18, 2014
139
Slightly unrelated, but the Tribal Crew pack from the recent giveaway ended up with Hardy getting a Scrimshaw Drake - a pet i've been hunting for a while.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
730
Yarrr, Tatiana got herself Prince Yulefest from the Giveaway!!!

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan
- Deadeye Abigail Morgan

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9102
jack morgan933 on Dec 18, 2018 wrote:
Yarrr, Tatiana got herself Prince Yulefest from the Giveaway!!!

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan
- Deadeye Abigail Morgan
Oh, well done! A witchdoctor always needs another musket!

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9102
I hope others got a companion from the free Griz pack? And if you took advantage of the pack sale, did you get something nice?
I didn't, but that's just my luck, sometimes.

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
68
anecorbie on Dec 18, 2018 wrote:
I hope others got a companion from the free Griz pack? And if you took advantage of the pack sale, did you get something nice?
I didn't, but that's just my luck, sometimes.
Spent 30000 crowns (at normal prices that would be worth $80) on Ashes of the Armada packs hoping for an armada companion. Got a big fat pile of nothing. At least I completed my Ashes weapon collection many times over.

Personally I'd like to see each pack contain a "clockwork part" and an analogue for the other companions. Once you collect enough, you can exchange them for a companion of your choice. You still have a chance of getting a companion normally, which resets your clockwork part count. Basically if you open enough packs you're guaranteed to get something you want, which is true of every other card game I've seen, either via the secondary market, dusting, wildcards, etc.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9102
Robobot1747 on Dec 18, 2018 wrote:
Spent 30000 crowns (at normal prices that would be worth $80) on Ashes of the Armada packs hoping for an armada companion. Got a big fat pile of nothing. At least I completed my Ashes weapon collection many times over.

Personally I'd like to see each pack contain a "clockwork part" and an analogue for the other companions. Once you collect enough, you can exchange them for a companion of your choice. You still have a chance of getting a companion normally, which resets your clockwork part count. Basically if you open enough packs you're guaranteed to get something you want, which is true of every other card game I've seen, either via the secondary market, dusting, wildcards, etc.
I rarely get more than ten packs at a time, that way I'm not wasting all my crowns in one blow-out.This sale permitted me to buy 25 Griz packs for the amount of a dozen. Some players get a companion at once or after many attempts, it's a gamble.
The odds of getting a companion from the Ashes pack is slightly lower than in the other packs - there are only 4 companions as compared to the 5 in the Tribal Pack or the 6 of the Grizzly Beast pack when you consider all the other stuff that are on their drop tables.
I wish you luck in trying to gain these companions, but please consider that the amount of money you use doesn't automatically grant that you'll get a companion.

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
730
anecorbie on Dec 18, 2018 wrote:
Oh, well done! A witchdoctor always needs another musket!
Indeed Fair Lass, indeed.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan
- Deadeye Edward Morgan
- Deadeye Tatiana Morgan
- Deadeye Abigail Morgan

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
68
anecorbie on Dec 19, 2018 wrote:
I rarely get more than ten packs at a time, that way I'm not wasting all my crowns in one blow-out.This sale permitted me to buy 25 Griz packs for the amount of a dozen. Some players get a companion at once or after many attempts, it's a gamble.
The odds of getting a companion from the Ashes pack is slightly lower than in the other packs - there are only 4 companions as compared to the 5 in the Tribal Pack or the 6 of the Grizzly Beast pack when you consider all the other stuff that are on their drop tables.
I wish you luck in trying to gain these companions, but please consider that the amount of money you use doesn't automatically grant that you'll get a companion.
Yes, I'm well aware that it's a gamble. That doesn't mean the drop rate is anything higher than ridiculously low and it's less frustrating when you spend the equivalent of a year's worth of membership on a steaming pile of nothing.

Also, [[citation needed]]- I doubt the odds are lower than other packs since companions are all of epic rarity to my knowledge. I'd think you get a roll to determine whether or not you get a companion, and then a roll on the epic drop table to determine which one, rather than a single roll for the full length of the drop table.

I still think there should be a hard upper limit on the number of packs you have to buy to get a companion, a pity timer of sorts, or a way to turn all those useless weapons that drop (useless in the sense that your 5th Darkmoor Deathspitter isn't very helpful unless you have an entire account full of musketeers) into a companion.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9102
Robobot1747 on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
Yes, I'm well aware that it's a gamble. That doesn't mean the drop rate is anything higher than ridiculously low and it's less frustrating when you spend the equivalent of a year's worth of membership on a steaming pile of nothing.

Also, [[citation needed]]- I doubt the odds are lower than other packs since companions are all of epic rarity to my knowledge. I'd think you get a roll to determine whether or not you get a companion, and then a roll on the epic drop table to determine which one, rather than a single roll for the full length of the drop table.

I still think there should be a hard upper limit on the number of packs you have to buy to get a companion, a pity timer of sorts, or a way to turn all those useless weapons that drop (useless in the sense that your 5th Darkmoor Deathspitter isn't very helpful unless you have an entire account full of musketeers) into a companion.
The drop rate may be the same, but consider that you're looking for an epic rare item against the "steaming pile of nothing" on the table. One interesting accessory so rare that I've only seen one pirate equipped with it, 4 companions & 7 weapons.

Against how much Griz, Dragonspyre and Krok furnishings? Imagine that the drop table is one huge wheel with everything on it, then look at what you want to get; not very encouraging is it?
Now spin that wheel!

The odds have got to be lower because there are less companions compared to the rest of the drops. Just sell the extra Deathspitters for gold ( if you haven't already. )

Petty Officer
Sep 19, 2013
68
anecorbie on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
The drop rate may be the same, but consider that you're looking for an epic rare item against the "steaming pile of nothing" on the table. One interesting accessory so rare that I've only seen one pirate equipped with it, 4 companions & 7 weapons.

Against how much Griz, Dragonspyre and Krok furnishings? Imagine that the drop table is one huge wheel with everything on it, then look at what you want to get; not very encouraging is it?
Now spin that wheel!

The odds have got to be lower because there are less companions compared to the rest of the drops. Just sell the extra Deathspitters for gold ( if you haven't already. )
And how exactly are you sure of the exact structure of the pack's drop system? Do you have any evidence that companion drop rates decrease as the number of companions you've gotten increase?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
9102
Robobot1747 on Dec 22, 2018 wrote:
And how exactly are you sure of the exact structure of the pack's drop system? Do you have any evidence that companion drop rates decrease as the number of companions you've gotten increase?
I'm just using logic ( maybe not a good thing to use with a computer program and randomly generated drops ).
However, say there are 100 items of junk as opposed to 1 companion, what do you think the odds are of getting that 1 companion as opposed to 1 piece of junk?

Admiral
May 30, 2010
1114
Robobot1747 on Dec 21, 2018 wrote:
Yes, I'm well aware that it's a gamble. That doesn't mean the drop rate is anything higher than ridiculously low and it's less frustrating when you spend the equivalent of a year's worth of membership on a steaming pile of nothing.

Also, [[citation needed]]- I doubt the odds are lower than other packs since companions are all of epic rarity to my knowledge. I'd think you get a roll to determine whether or not you get a companion, and then a roll on the epic drop table to determine which one, rather than a single roll for the full length of the drop table.

I still think there should be a hard upper limit on the number of packs you have to buy to get a companion, a pity timer of sorts, or a way to turn all those useless weapons that drop (useless in the sense that your 5th Darkmoor Deathspitter isn't very helpful unless you have an entire account full of musketeers) into a companion.
Why? The point (for KI) is to get us to spend money for those companions. If you say there should be a hard upper limit of packs bought, why not make them available in the crown shop for the cost of all those packs?

And does your way accrue over the entire life of that pirate (or are you thinking that all the packs purchased over all the pirates on that account count)? Is it a limit that needs to be reached in a specific time frame? If I don't bother to play for 6 months, do I lose credit for the packs I already bought? What if I'm close to the hard limit when I decide I really hate playing this character and want to delete him for a different one?

Sell your extra junk, go morphing or buy a better ship with the money you get.

Thank you, I don't want a "pity" companion. I'm excited when I get one because I was lucky, not because KI thought I was so pathetic that I should get a consolation companion.

Moderator
The replies to this thread have started to veer away from the OP’s original topic. As a result, I’m going to go ahead and close this thread.

The Untold Spiral Founder/Owner, Co-leader of Mercenaries101, MMORPG.com Writer, and much more!
~
_~ )_)_~
)_))_))_)
_!__!__!_
\______t/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~