Doyle's..."shack"?

AuthorMessage
First Mate
Jan 17, 2012
482
So, why do all of the well-to-do vendors of Skull Island of sand floors, like they built the buildings without one...

But Doyle's shack...has a wooden one?

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5757
Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
anecorbie on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:
Hey Valkoor! Can you handle that question?
Sure Esperanza!!

You see, in my industry I have come to realize that the more well-to-do and higher society customers that I interact with rather enjoy the luxuries that come from the senses and from touch. They have acquired many things in their life, so what makes a greater impact on them is the aroma of fine wines, the sheer softness of silken tapestries, the lush harvests of a brilliantly flowing rug and the pleasing effervescence of bubbles in the bathtub (ok, so I don't really know my clients that well)

But many who have much, often rely on senses, touch and the delightful softening of the senses that comes from blissful exposure to pleasantness that abounds in the finer things around them.

So my point being....who doesn't love to feel soft, luxuriant and flowing sand between their toes? I'd rather have soft sand between my toes then a splinter or two! I'm sure the wood used in Doyle's shack hasn't been properly milled, sanded, surface prepared, treated, softened, re-sanded, cured, sanded again and finished.....so, better keep those clogs on!

OR...... perhaps Mr. Doyle is indeed a skilled carpenter and has been able to work on his shack, with his own talents, while the other more well-to-do inhabitants don't have as much access to carpenters (don't seem to be many around those parts, just look at Avery's ceiling) and/or possess skills of the trade-- seeing as wealthy doesn't always translate as skilled. And likewise, being unfortunate and lacking in wealth doesn't
translate to helpless, incapable and/or lacking in talents and resourcefulness. If Doyle were skilled in the trade, the more high society individuals may not look favorably upon him and thus not wish to hire his fine services, since he isn't as upstanding in society as they are....but it wouldn't stop him from crafting a quaint humble abode, complete with wood flooring.

But I do know that if I were dirt poor, on an island and there were relatively no carpenters or builders around, I could build a magnificent home from scratch, yet some that I know who have all the wealth they could hope for, would be left sucking their thumbs, living in sand-- while I enjoy my soft and relaxing Bamboo flooring and a Tropical Yum drink.

Pirate Overlord
Mar 16, 2012
5757
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:
Sure Esperanza!!

You see, in my industry I have come to realize that the more well-to-do and higher society customers that I interact with rather enjoy the luxuries that come from the senses and from touch. They have acquired many things in their life, so what makes a greater impact on them is the aroma of fine wines, the sheer softness of silken tapestries, the lush harvests of a brilliantly flowing rug and the pleasing effervescence of bubbles in the bathtub (ok, so I don't really know my clients that well)

But many who have much, often rely on senses, touch and the delightful softening of the senses that comes from blissful exposure to pleasantness that abounds in the finer things around them.

So my point being....who doesn't love to feel soft, luxuriant and flowing sand between their toes? I'd rather have soft sand between my toes then a splinter or two! I'm sure the wood used in Doyle's shack hasn't been properly milled, sanded, surface prepared, treated, softened, re-sanded, cured, sanded again and finished.....so, better keep those clogs on!

OR...... perhaps Mr. Doyle is indeed a skilled carpenter and has been able to work on his shack, with his own talents, while the other more well-to-do inhabitants don't have as much access to carpenters (don't seem to be many around those parts, just look at Avery's ceiling) and/or possess skills of the trade-- seeing as wealthy doesn't always translate as skilled. And likewise, being unfortunate and lacking in wealth doesn't
translate to helpless, incapable and/or lacking in talents and resourcefulness. If Doyle were skilled in the trade, the more high society individuals may not look favorably upon him and thus not wish to hire his fine services, since he isn't as upstanding in society as they are....but it wouldn't stop him from crafting a quaint humble abode, complete with wood flooring.

But I do know that if I were dirt poor, on an island and there were relatively no carpenters or builders around, I could build a magnificent home from scratch, yet some that I know who have all the wealth they could hope for, would be left sucking their thumbs, living in sand-- while I enjoy my soft and relaxing Bamboo flooring and a Tropical Yum drink.
Oh, I thought you were going to point out that his shack was built on piling and therefore raised above the ground. while the merchant's warehouses were built directly on the ground. Plus the fact that it's a house as opposed to a warehouse.
Hmm, I could use a shovel, tunnel my way in and ransack the bazaar ( if I weren't so noble, that is )

Developer
That reminds me, I need to get a shack of my own once I settle down and stop building all these houses and making all this furniture.

As for the flooring, I know he didn't by it from me

Commodore
May 31, 2009
801
ValkoorTheVictorio... on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:
Sure Esperanza!!

You see, in my industry I have come to realize that the more well-to-do and higher society customers that I interact with rather enjoy the luxuries that come from the senses and from touch. They have acquired many things in their life, so what makes a greater impact on them is the aroma of fine wines, the sheer softness of silken tapestries, the lush harvests of a brilliantly flowing rug and the pleasing effervescence of bubbles in the bathtub (ok, so I don't really know my clients that well)

But many who have much, often rely on senses, touch and the delightful softening of the senses that comes from blissful exposure to pleasantness that abounds in the finer things around them.

So my point being....who doesn't love to feel soft, luxuriant and flowing sand between their toes? I'd rather have soft sand between my toes then a splinter or two! I'm sure the wood used in Doyle's shack hasn't been properly milled, sanded, surface prepared, treated, softened, re-sanded, cured, sanded again and finished.....so, better keep those clogs on!

OR...... perhaps Mr. Doyle is indeed a skilled carpenter and has been able to work on his shack, with his own talents, while the other more well-to-do inhabitants don't have as much access to carpenters (don't seem to be many around those parts, just look at Avery's ceiling) and/or possess skills of the trade-- seeing as wealthy doesn't always translate as skilled. And likewise, being unfortunate and lacking in wealth doesn't
translate to helpless, incapable and/or lacking in talents and resourcefulness. If Doyle were skilled in the trade, the more high society individuals may not look favorably upon him and thus not wish to hire his fine services, since he isn't as upstanding in society as they are....but it wouldn't stop him from crafting a quaint humble abode, complete with wood flooring.

But I do know that if I were dirt poor, on an island and there were relatively no carpenters or builders around, I could build a magnificent home from scratch, yet some that I know who have all the wealth they could hope for, would be left sucking their thumbs, living in sand-- while I enjoy my soft and relaxing Bamboo flooring and a Tropical Yum drink.
"But I do know that if I were dirt poor, on an island and there were relatively no carpenters or builders around, I could build a magnificent home from scratch, yet some that I know who have all the wealth they could hope for, would be left sucking their thumbs, living in sand"

*Thump* Absolutely wonderful, Valkoor. You have an amazing gift of humor and I hope you never stop using it.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
anecorbie on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:
Oh, I thought you were going to point out that his shack was built on piling and therefore raised above the ground. while the merchant's warehouses were built directly on the ground. Plus the fact that it's a house as opposed to a warehouse.
Hmm, I could use a shovel, tunnel my way in and ransack the bazaar ( if I weren't so noble, that is )
Yeah Esperanza, in the land of reality your explanation does indeed make much more sense, but my brain tends to wander aimlessly throughout the vast lands of nonsense. And I also tend to not prefer the oblivious with the "l" and the first "i" missing.

And you know if you could just find yourself some oppressed subjects to share the "ransacked loot with", then you could still uphold that noble title. Maybe you could bypass the shovel and the next time you visit the bazaar proper, just leave a dog bone inside and let Gracie or Lucky Jack do the tunneling for you.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Mr. Trelawny on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:
That reminds me, I need to get a shack of my own once I settle down and stop building all these houses and making all this furniture.

As for the flooring, I know he didn't by it from me
And what a fine job you are doing-- quite the craftsman I must say.

Yes, you absolutely do deserve a quaint little place of your own to rest your tireless self and to kick your feet up-- sand or wood...it's all good.

First Mate
Jan 17, 2012
482
This has to be the most amusing thread I've read here. I'm going to have to ask more silly questions like this.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
MistyDragon13 on Sep 11, 2014 wrote:
"But I do know that if I were dirt poor, on an island and there were relatively no carpenters or builders around, I could build a magnificent home from scratch, yet some that I know who have all the wealth they could hope for, would be left sucking their thumbs, living in sand"

*Thump* Absolutely wonderful, Valkoor. You have an amazing gift of humor and I hope you never stop using it.
Aww, shucks Misty-- so very kind of you!

I don't know if it's a gift but I have made attempts (many poor ones) at humor as far back as I can remember. In fact I think my very first 'joke', if I recall correctly, was on the day of my birth, when I finally decided to take a peek at the world. For it was then that I first attempted humor and upon arrival spoke my very first words................."Eh, what's up Doc?", followed by a smack on the doctors behind.

My recollection of that day might be a bit off as far as details, but that's how I imagine it went down.

Dread Pirate
Jun 17, 2013
2699
Max DeGroot on Sep 12, 2014 wrote:
This has to be the most amusing thread I've read here. I'm going to have to ask more silly questions like this.
Yes, by all means....please do Max! Silly is quite a great stress relief and a wonderful way to escape from all the negativities out there. So, silly inquisize away!

Captain
Jun 26, 2010
586
Interesting, very interesting.

- Deadeye Jack Morgan