Forum discussions are now taking place on Discord. For all account questions and concerns, please continue to contact Customer Support directly.

Keep updated on Pirate101 on Twitter @Pirate101, Facebook, Discord, and @KI_Alerts!

Do you think Privateer is over powered?

AuthorMessage
Ensign
Jun 17, 2013
Lots of people say privateer is overpowered compared to witchdoctor, But i have compared them myself i went down to the privateer trainer and the witchdoctor trainer. privateers do have lots more stuff to learn but they are mostly talents after like level 20, and they have four healing powers so they can heal a bunch, but there are practically probably almost no attacking powers. witchdoctors, They do not have as many powers and talents, the only healing spell at all is Jobus breath, which does not heal very much unless you get it critical on atleast mega.
But they do have healing and attacking powers and ghostwail which is their first learned power is actually pretty strong. i was teamed up with a witchdoctor a couple days ago, she was level 13 and her ghostwail without critical did about 60-70 damage and that was also with the enemies defense, so witchdoctors are pretty powerful. And they do not need old scratch to summon a minion.

I would say witchdoctors might be better.

What do you think

Gunner's Mate
Jul 03, 2011
Witchdoctors also get Jobu's Kiss and Jobu's Embrace which are more powerful than Jobu's Breath.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
I think it really depends on how you play your class. K I tried to balance all the types. There are a lot of times, where privateer attacks aren't even the most important way I attack. Well timed buffs cast on crew, and heals to keep them in the fight, tend to play a strong part in my strategy. Your points on witchdoctor are well made, but it feels like comparing apples and oranges, because the different types play so differently. I don't think any type of pirate is overpowered, it is how well you play the type that makes the difference.

Commodore
Feb 02, 2013
privateer is easily stronger, there are to buffs that increase critical chance and power and each critical is about 2 attacks, don't forget anyone can learn a lot of the witchdocter powers including mojo blade

Robert lvl 65 privateer

Ensign
Apr 21, 2009
I suppose it depends on your definition of overpowered. As a Privateer, I know my heals, buffs and mitigation spells are my bread and butter. They give my crew more survivability than other classes. The offset is we are on the bottom of the pile in terms of damage and are more companion dependent than other classes. I have battled with many a Witchdoctor, Swashbuckler and Musketeer and have marveled at the damage they can do.

I suppose I envy their damage the same way they envy my healing. I call it "the grass is always greener" effect and it's pretty normal to want what you don't have as opposed to appreciating what you do.

Admiral
Oct 27, 2009
One thing I don't want to see result from this kind of thread is people complaining so much about which ever class seems to beat them in pvp, that that class gets their attacks or abilities nerfed. Overpowered is a word thrown around rather a lot, back in Wizard forums.

Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
I do not think ANY class is overpowered at all. They each play differently and since I have several accounts with at least one of each class, I can speak my piece. My opinions below are all given from the PvE viewpoint of player vs non-thinking pre-programmed AI's.

Privateers- This is the class that relies heavily on buffing their companions & teammates (who join their battles). It specifically says under the class header that this is the class where leadership is determined. Most of the powers that a Priv gets is used to boost their crew who is doing battle on the front lines while the Captain is planning the moves behind the lines so to speak. They get the heals but the trade off is fewer damaging attack powers. They get 24 Power Cards w/14 as buffs/debuffs, 6 heals, & 4 damage/attack & Repel Boarders as their Epic ability.

Witchdoctors- This class relies on attacking from afar and using magical damage to defeat their enemies. They don't have to rely on leading their crew because, well some of them can't be managed LOL. I'm speaking of the many summons that a WD gets. In terms of Power cards, Witchdoctors get the most with 32 just from training. 10 are buffs/debuffs/manipulation, 18 damage/attack, & 4 summons. They get self heals in the form of drains that also do damage to their opponents. They also get plenty of AoE and 2 round damage over time attacks. Plus they get the best overall stat (Will, Strength, & Agility) buff of Great Juju which is specific to the companions/crew. They get Mojo Echo and Mojo Rising for Epics.

Swashbuckler- This class relies on stealth and their high dodge/damage abilities. They rely on sneakiness that enables them to hide and buff themselves before do their major attack but they also get poisons which will do damage over time until they get ready to strike. Their Jump & Fast (extra steps) abilities enable them to move with ease across almost any size battleboard and obstacles.

(continued in next post)

~SM~

Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
(continuation from previous post)

This helps them to get out of danger and hide before they come back to strike again. I consider them almost like an assasin class LOL. They get 16 Power Cards of 3 hidden, 3 self buff/guard, 3 poison, & 7 damage/attack & Riposte x2 & First Strike x3

Musketeer- This class is great for long range and with their many AoE damage cards they are able to take out many enemies at a time. Musketeers are excellent at manipulating the battleboard by placing traps & obstacles strategically to get the enemy right where they want them. They get 25 Power Cards of 4 buffs, 8 traps/obstacles, & 13 gun attacks plus Quick Draw x2 & Double Tap x2 for Epics.

Buccaneer- This class is the one that has to rely on brute strength and placement of themselves. They get the most Epic abilities & key is positioning in order to get them to trigger and activate against the enemy. Buccs aren't afraid to get down and dirty. They HAVE to because they don't have long range attacks, AoEs, or stealth. They are the ones that charge right into battle to get the job done. They get 11 Power Cards with only 4 of them being attack while the other 7 are buffs or resistance. Their Epics are Hold the Line x3, Vengeance Strike x3, & Bladestorm x3.

(continued once more)

Lieutenant
May 29, 2009
(conclusion)

Like I said, I don't believe ANY class is overpowered. However, if I had to say so, then I would definitely say that Buccaneer is underpowered. All of the other classes get some kind of Power Card that is beneficial to their pirate but they also get something that can help their companions. I am only listing what is trained by class specific trainers. Not what can be found on gear or trained outside of your class.

1. Privateers get all the heals, buffs, & Team Repel Boarders
2.Witchdoctors get 3 versions of Juju plus the 3 versions of Haste cards which can also add additional Epics
3. Swashbuckler gets Shadowfog & Gallant Defense
4. Musketeers get 3 versions of Agility boost (great for those other Musk & Swash companions we like :) ) as well as Team Overwatch & Team Burstfire
5. Buccaneers get 3 versions of Strength boost (which doesn't even help their Starter Kobe) & 3 versions of resistance that are all for self. For myself I don't even use the Highland Charge.

Again this is only my opinion from a PvE POV. PvP is an entirely different matter because each person plays their pirate in a multitude of combinational ways; deck set up, gear, companion choices, companion Epics, etc.

Also most of the time when I hear someone saying that a certain class is overpowered, it's because they got defeated by them in PvP which, to me, suggests a change of strategy. Because I can guarantee you that if that is your pirate class you are playing in PvE, you wouldn't want them nerfed or downsized.

I appreciate each class for what they have to offer when my own pirate is questing. I can definitely say that I am not one to ever turn down a Privateer's heal or buff when my own Buccaneer, Swashbuckler, Musketeer, or Witchdoctor need it. I'm sure they also appreciate the attacking abilities of those other 4 classes I mentioned as well.

Happy lootin' & piratin'

~SM~

~SM~

Bosun
Dec 21, 2009
CressHall on Jul 10, 2013 wrote:
Lots of people say privateer is overpowered compared to witchdoctor, But i have compared them myself i went down to the privateer trainer and the witchdoctor trainer. privateers do have lots more stuff to learn but they are mostly talents after like level 20, and they have four healing powers so they can heal a bunch, but there are practically probably almost no attacking powers. witchdoctors, They do not have as many powers and talents, the only healing spell at all is Jobus breath, which does not heal very much unless you get it critical on atleast mega.
But they do have healing and attacking powers and ghostwail which is their first learned power is actually pretty strong. i was teamed up with a witchdoctor a couple days ago, she was level 13 and her ghostwail without critical did about 60-70 damage and that was also with the enemies defense, so witchdoctors are pretty powerful. And they do not need old scratch to summon a minion.

I would say witchdoctors might be better.

What do you think
Witch doctors and privateers are equal I think.
The only time when they ARE overpowered is when they fight together. I know from expierence since i'm a privateer (and quite proud of it) and have fought side by side witchdoctors many times. As for thise who say privateers should be weakened, SHAME ON YOU!!!! Unless you would have every other class weakened by the same amount.

I played w101 and was life, often teased at being weaker. So i basically see when people their classes getting more powerful, except that privateers should stay the way they are, i just basically hear this: "We want to be more powerful so we can kick privateer butt!".

Ensign
Dec 08, 2012
Their is only one thing that I will admit to that privateers are better in groups because their buffs are just endless and OP. Though in a 1v1 fight their quite harmless in fact I think their easier compared to witchdoctors or swashbucklers. Just so as long you have a good strategy and have the right companions you're pretty much balanced.